• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting with an AR?

Thats more about shot placement than cartridge choice. You can DRT a deer with a .22lr or one can run 100+ yards shot by a 300 win mag.
There's some truth to that, but it's not the whole story. Yea, shoot one in the ear with a 22 and it'll drop, gut shoot one with a 300 and it'll go for a mile.

Another view of the deer above: He was quartering away, went about 80 yards with his lungs turned to goo and the top 1/2 of his heart looking like hamburger.

LXNbEV8.jpg

If you hunt in a place where everything has thorns or stingers or fangs, your math changes a bit on how you hunt. Where I hunt, brush is very thick and an animal that runs 100 yards might not be recovered - or might be but you'll spend a week finding/dislodging cactus needles...

I hunt both (AR and bolt gun), I like both - but the job picks the tool, not the other way around.

I took a 450 yard shot on a coyote on my last day of this past hunting season, did so with a 243AI bolt gun and spun him like a top. I probably could have taken the same shot with a grendel or 6.5CM, but neither is as accurate as the laser 243AI - and at that range, there isn't a second shot opportunity.

That said, if a sounder of hogs had walked out in the open at 50 yards, I damn sure woulda wished I'd had an AR.

As a PH in South Africa once told me, "ya gotta take what the bush gives ya!" Words to live by...

If I need DRT on deer, which I often prefer in south Alabama since its so thick and pokey, Ive been favoring neck shots on bucks the last couple years. Margin of error is fairly small but shots are typically sub 200. Grendel has performed every time. It takes them a minute to bleed out but they dont go anywhere. It wastes less meat than the high shoulder shot and has potential to do a bunch of damage to the airway, big arteries and blows the neck and spinal cord apart. It also seems to bleed them better than head shots do.

Same with hunting on public land, where the shots can be kind of close and you want to avoid having the deer get onto the next property before they expire. That property may be one you do not have access to. Then, either a neck shot or a brachial plexus shot to DRT. It's even worth losing 1 or 2 ounces of back strap vs losing 40 lbs of meat.

I typically find that deer I shoot with a 5.56 either drop like a sack of bricks, or run 75-125m, depending on the terrain. Open ground, about 125m. They drop if the bullet passes anywhere near the spine. They run if lung/heart shot.

I’ve hunted with 223/556 and 300BLK AR’s many times over the last 12-13 years with great success. It’s not always the best solution but I too am considering using my 18” 6 ARC for whitetail this fall if it proves to reliable and accurate. That said, when it comes to a bolt vs. gasser in general I still prefer a bolt and likely always will.

I typically find that deer I shoot with a 5.56 either drop like a sack of bricks, or run 75-125m, depending on the terrain. Open ground, about 125m. They drop if the bullet passes anywhere near the spine. They run if lung/heart shot.
I’ve had massive wounds with 77 OTMs and deer that went less distance than when shot with my 7 Rem Mag

I’ve had massive wounds with 77 OTMs and deer that went less distance than when shot with my 7 Rem Mag

Sounds like the results over on the Rokslide thread .223 for deer, bear, moose

That’s confidence for me sending a 108 grain 6mm ELDM into the boiler room any speed over 1800 FPS.

Some say ELDMs expand down to 1500 FPS.

Yeah, 77TMK/OTM that frags will do wonders. To me, dead is dead, and the wounding I get from 70gr TSX is more than sufficient. Couple that with it shooting 1.5-1.8moa out of my guns, I tend to like it. It clocks 2545fps out of my 11.5.

Yeah, 77TMK/OTM that frags will do wonders. To me, dead is dead, and the wounding I get from 70gr TSX is more than sufficient. Couple that with it shooting 1.5-1.8moa out of my guns, I tend to like it. It clocks 2545fps out of my 11.5.

My plan is to try the 70gr TSX this year. PSA has had them on sale a couple times recently.

Reactions: Chicory01 and JWG
What round/rounds have you found most effective?
I would say it’s very subjective to bullet and barrel length. Keep in mind all my shots are broadside crease of the shoulder, no frontal or high shoulder shots.
Overall in 5.56 65gr GK’s have been phenomenal but I’ll say I’ve had some of my shortest blood tracks with 77smk’s. I do clean the tips out on mine. Going to try 77 TMK’s now, developing a load with them.
308 I really like 125 NBT’s. Game acts like lightning hits it from that bullet. I hand load them they were getting 3000 fps from my 20” and just shy of 2900 in my 16”.
Overall though I’ve built two 6.5 Grendel’s for my best friend and brother. I’m most pleased with that round probably. Lightweight, performs very close to 308 on game, great blood trails, and no recoil. Both shooting 123 eldm’s.

I would say it’s very subjective to bullet and barrel length. Keep in mind all my shots are broadside crease of the shoulder, no frontal or high shoulder shots.
Overall in 5.56 65gr GK’s have been phenomenal but I’ll say I’ve had some of my shortest blood tracks with 77smk’s. I do clean the tips out on mine. Going to try 77 TMK’s now, developing a load with them.
308 I really like 125 NBT’s. Game acts like lightning hits it from that bullet. I hand load them they were getting 3000 fps from my 20” and just shy of 2900 in my 16”.
Overall though I’ve built two 6.5 Grendel’s for my best friend and brother. I’m most pleased with that round probably. Lightweight, performs very close to 308 on game, great blood trails, and no recoil. Both shooting 123 eldm’s.
Thanks! No interest in the 70gr TSX?

Reactions: Faronth and B Man
Thanks! No interest in the 70gr TSX?

Honestly I like to shoot solid copper bullets on the light for caliber weight in high velocity rifles. Ex 257 wby and 264 wm I shoot 100gr ttsx around 3500-3600. The 70’s in 223 work great as some above have shown but slower heavy for caliber solids always seem to have longer blood trails and sometimes not great. For big hogs or high shoulder shots on deer they are perfect. But this is just preference, not a knock on them as a bad bullet by any stretch.

If I hunted tight woods with close shots I probably would use them but I do a lot of field hunting where I can wait for the shot I want if that makes sense.

Reactions: General RE LEE
Honestly I like to shoot solid copper bullets on the light for caliber weight in high velocity rifles. Ex 257 wby and 264 wm I shoot 100gr ttsx around 3500-3600. The 70’s in 223 work great as some above have shown but slower heavy for caliber solids always seem to have longer blood trails and sometimes not great. For big hogs or high shoulder shots on deer they are perfect. But this is just preference, not a knock on them as a bad bullet by any stretch.

If I hunted tight woods with close shots I probably would use them but I do a lot of field hunting where I can wait for the shot I want if that makes sense.

Thoughts on 108 ELDM in 6 ARC?

I’ll have to report back next season 😁. Just finished building one and that’s what I plan to run. I would expect it to act like any other Amax or EldM in that 2600 fps range and work extremely well if kept off the shoulder under 200 yards.View attachment 8360342

That's the only thing negative about the ELD-M on game that I can find as well. They tend to explode on shoulders inside of 200 yds. It's like they need to get below 2400 fps before that's no longer an issue.

I never purposely aim for the shoulder. Haven’t taken a shoulder shot in 8 years. Heart shots. Low hit blood quick.

I don't tend to either but from time to time I will on a pig just to see what they can sustain. I like to shoot them in the shoulder or gut when deer hunting so that they are more likely to run off and aren't DRT and spoil my deer hunt. A high shoulder shot is an anchor though and that can be necessary in certain scenarios.

I don't tend to either but from time to time I will on a pig just to see what they can sustain. I like to shoot them in the shoulder or gut when deer hunting so that they are more likely to run off and aren't DRT and spoil my deer hunt. A high shoulder shot is an anchor though and that can be necessary in certain scenarios.

First time I’ve ever heard someone say they deliberately gut shot a deer so they run off lol. Wow man.

• Haha
Reactions: tex68w
Maybe read the post again...

Just say'in.

Also, TTSX in a high shoulder will indeed destroy meat, but a deer can't run off if its front 2 legs don't work. I have watched a few try to run away with just their hind legs and their front 2 in the dirt - it didn't end well or take long to resolve.

Again, circumstances dictate what to do and how. I usually try to conserve meat; but if it is "recover and lose a little or not recover at all', I'll give up the front quarters every time.

Maybe read the post again...

Just say'in.

Also, TTSX in a high shoulder will indeed destroy meat, but a deer can't run off if its front 2 legs don't work. I have watched a few try to run away with just their hind legs and their front 2 in the dirt - it didn't end well or take long to resolve.

Again, circumstances dictate what to do and how. I usually try to conserve meat; but if it is "recover and lose a little or not recover at all', I'll give up the front quarters every time.

Ahh I gotcha now. My apologies. You were talking about shooting a pig while you deer hunt. I thought you wanted the first deer to run off so you’d have a shot at a second deer lol.

I dont understand why people gut shoot pigs instead of harvesting for meat. All sows and smaller boars are straight delicious and even big boars can make fine sausage. Dump the pig and drag it to the side. Ive had deer come in sub 30 minutes after shooting a pig. Suppressed is the ticket.

Nope, never hunted anything with an AR. But I enjoy their company on the range, and shoot a lot of rounds through them.

I dont understand why people gut shoot pigs instead of harvesting for meat. All sows and smaller boars are straight delicious and even big boars can make fine sausage. Dump the pig and drag it to the side. Ive had deer come in sub 30 minutes after shooting a pig. Suppressed is the ticket.
Since there was no question in that, there isn't a thing to answer. But I do think it is great when people begin things they don't understand with "I don't understand", it is appreciated.

Having shot hundreds of pigs over the past 20+ years, there are often reasons, some stated previously on this very thread.

Since there was no question in that, there isn't a thing to answer. But I do think it is great when people begin things they don't understand with "I don't understand", it is appreciated.

Having shot hundreds of pigs over the past 20+ years, there are often reasons, some stated previously on this very thread.
Cool story. Didn't mention you and wasn't looking for an answer from you either there tiger.

First time I’ve ever heard someone say they deliberately gut shot a deer so they run off lol. Wow man.

I never said deer, reading comprehension. I gut shot pigs while deer hunting if they step out.

Pork is cheap, anything over 100lbs is tough/gamey and/or requires time to bleed them out over ice (once again, pork is cheap), they are a massive nuisance and slaughtering them is first priority, not consumption, I don't want to be dragging 150-200lb pigs over rocks and into thick cedar in order to keep my hunt alive and any other subsequent hunts due to vultures taking over the scene. I hunt suppressed 100% of the time, that has nothing to do with it, but you're welcome to harvest, drag off, shoot and let sit anything you please on your property, I'll do me.

If I had unlimited access to piggies I may feel different. I have to drive a long way to kill em so I keep em when I do.

Reactions: tex68w
I’ll have to report back next season 😁. Just finished building one and that’s what I plan to run. I would expect it to act like any other Amax or EldM in that 2600 fps range and work extremely well if kept off the shoulder under 200 yards.View attachment 8360342

First read this post I was like “dang, I bought my 6 ARC to shoot deer past 200 yards.”

Reactions: B Man and tex68w
Yeah, I can’t understand people who pay good money to go pig hunting. Even heli-hunting. For that much money I want to see something more scenic than south Texas scrub brush. But, pigs are pretty common around here. Maybe others feel the same way about pronghorns or elk that I do about pigs. 😒

My son took his first deer with a 62 gr TSX from a 16” AR. Most of my recent deer have been taken with a 6.5 Grendel and 123 gr ELD-Ms from an 18” barrel. My last deer was taken with a 168 gr SMK from a 16” AR in 308. My preference is neck shots on deer as they don’t need to be tracked if hit, and don‘t typically fall if not hit. Color blindness makes me really not want to blood trail a deer. And, if I shoot something other than a deer (nongame/nuisance like a pig or a coyote) I’m not looking for it if it crawls away...

Reactions: tex68w and Jip4012
That's the only thing negative about the ELD-M on game that I can find as well. They tend to explode on shoulders inside of 200 yds. It's like they need to get below 2400 fps before that's no longer an issue.
But man do they work. 308 win and 178 amax/eldm were made for one another. Probably my all time favorite combo from one of my bolt rifles.

First read this post I was like “dang, I bought my 6 ARC to shoot deer past 200 yards.”

Where we hunt there aren't a ton of opportunities to take a shot beyond 200-250 yds, just not enough open/cleared terrain. I did the 6 ARC thing for plinking long range and for coyotes.

If I had unlimited access to piggies I may feel different. I have to drive a long way to kill em so I keep em when I do.

I get that. I do have buddies who often take the back strap if nothing else.