• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting with sierra match king

zimfar

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Has any one shot anything with a Sierra Match King? If so how did the HP perform. Going on a ram hunt in june and need some info. I'm shooting 168gr in a 308.

Re: hunting with sierra match king

You'll hear goods and bads. Some have no problems. I've only shot one animal with a 168 SMK...a whitetail doe. I center-punched the heart at 225 yds and she still made it about 150 yds. I don't know if I could have fit my pinky finger in the exit hole. Won't be trying it again.

You'll also hear plenty of fellas say they've shot several...all DRT. I prefer a bullet designed for the job.

...and do a search in this sub-forum. You should be able to find a couple previous threads on the topic.

Try using this Search Engine...

Here is a couple pics of cow elk recently killed with the 308 using FGMM 168 SMK's...

One cow was killed at 352 yards the other at 416 yards...

Cow shot at 416 yards quartering to us...She never took a step...
1142.jpg

Both cows... Second cow was shot broadside, High shoulder shot and she didn't move an inch either...YMMV...
1133.jpg

I know you posted about the 30 cals but I shoot them out of my 22-250 and they are accurate but have inconsistant expansion. That being said, they rarely have a problem doing the job on groundhogs even with the poor expansion.

168SMK's aren't true hunting bullets ... although you can obviously take down game with them.

Barnes makes a dedicated 168gr hunting bullet that's pretty good: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=967720

It's surprising how apparently well-hit game can travel great distances after taking a hit ... bullets designed for the task give you advantages & can help ensure a clean kill.

Good luck w/your hunting load development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barnes12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will work with good shot placement, however there are better hunting bullets out there IMHO. </div></div>+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll hear goods and bads. Some have no problems. I've only shot one animal with a 168 SMK...a whitetail doe. I center-punched the heart at 225 yds and she still made it about 150 yds. I don't know if I could have fit my pinky finger in the exit hole. Won't be trying it again.

You'll also hear plenty of fellas say they've shot several...all DRT. I prefer a bullet designed for the job. </div></div>
Exactly my experiance. Shot one doe with a 168SMK and exit about the size of a penny. deer went about 75yds and not much blood. I switched to HSM Match w/ A-Max bullets and get SMK accuracy with a better bullet for hunting.

I shot 70 grain SMK's in .243 for varmints and deer for many years.
Shot placement on larger game is key.

i used to use smks for everything, they will work, again as mentioned shot placement is key. however on the not so good shots your leaving room for trouble. i switched to amax's for paper punching and hunting, one load for everything.

good luck

josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are not supposed to kill things with target bullets. It is against the law.</div></div>
Where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are not supposed to kill things with target bullets. It is against the law.</div></div>
Where? </div></div>

Yeah, where?

Don't do it. Don't ask why either. Just don't do it. I've killed deer and such with it and some never took a step and others where tracked to death. I have a 50/50 ratio on good results. That is NOT acceptable. I now use the swift scirraco and it does MUCH better. Sierra says not to do it and I did anyway. Yes, I'm a dumbass and I learned from it. Other shooters on here that are MUCH more experianced than I am will tell you it's fine. Listen to em if you want to but I think you would be making the wrong choice. If its a good hunt (or any hunt for that matter) why would you even want to risk it. I'm here to tell you the only flesh and blood I will shoot with a SMK is the one that poses a threat to me. If your gonna use a match grade bullet anyway, there are better choices. Good luck

Your not supposed to use hollow points at all, they are illegal. and .22lr's are the deadliest of all because they bounce around inside you and liquify your organs.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God in heaven!!!
mad.gif
We just put the last one of these to bed a few days ago!! can we leave this subject alone? </div></div>

Quit shitting on the stupid , its good humor and the know-it-alls feel the need to comment .

Look here to see how I feel .

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323786&page=1

Irresponsible to use SMKs for hunting game. Sierra GAME Kings, yes. Match Kings, no. Right tool for the right job.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Options</span>
.308 dia. 165 gr. HPBT GameKing (#2140)
.308 dia. 165 gr. SBT GameKing (#2145)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do it. Don't ask why either. Just don't do it. I've killed deer and such with it and some never took a step and others where tracked to death. I have a 50/50 ratio on good results. That is NOT acceptable. I now use the swift scirraco and it does MUCH better. Sierra says not to do it and I did anyway. Yes, I'm a dumbass and I learned from it. Other shooters on here that are MUCH more experianced than I am will tell you it's fine. Listen to em if you want to but I think you would be making the wrong choice. If its a good hunt (or any hunt for that matter) why would you even want to risk it. I'm here to tell you the only flesh and blood I will shoot with a SMK is the one that poses a threat to me. If your gonna use a match grade bullet anyway, there are better choices. Good luck </div></div>

The Swift Scirocco is an excellent bullet and I use them frequently... I hope your 50/50 ratio has improved since the switch... Hopefully your up to a 75/25 ratio now ... Have you ever wondered why Sierra may label the SMK's as a match bullet and not a hunting bullet...We'll let y'all research that one...

Here are a few Sciroccos that were recovered in a season...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Irresponsible to use SMKs for hunting game. Sierra GAME Kings, yes. Match Kings, no. Right tool for the right job.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Options</span>
.308 dia. 165 gr. HPBT GameKing (#2140)
.308 dia. 165 gr. SBT GameKing (#2145)
</div></div>

There is very little difference between the two...I have used both and the result is the same in either flavor... Please expound to all of us from your plethora of personal experience and not from what you have read in gun rags, the internet and from the side of Sierras box... Talk in the local coffee shop does not count as first hand experience I might add...

What IS irresponsible is hunters taking shots out of their pay grade relying on a wonder bullet and their new Huskamajigger scope to pad their poor marksmanship skills... I agree that one should use the tool that serves them best for the job but they themselves should also be skilled enough to take that position...

SMK_SGK.jpg

I didn't want to bump up the other thread that has finally went to sleep so I will respond to Tripwire here as the two threads are similar...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire from the why not hunt with 175 smk's Thread </div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be wrong but those bullet pics look an awful lot like the exact same photos I've seen posted before elsewhere with one of the TSX's having been recovered after killing two (hogs? Deer, mebbe?) bedded side by side via some excessively long range shot, and the poster bitched endlessly about "bullet failure" because it didn't expand picture perfect. Ironic that a recovered bullet from a dead animal somehow didn't kill it deader.

Like I said, I may be mistaken....really could care less what you hunt with, I'm happy to use TSX's. I don't have any recovered bullet pics tho' because they've all blown out the other side and gone. I can however post pics of some very leaky holes. Life is good, here.....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those Barnes will work great for ya as well as the Nosler Partitions...

Barnes Triple Shock...

013-1.jpg

Nosler Partition...

021.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

Tripwire you are wrong... I have posted pics of those bullets in numerous threads and know exactly where they came from... What you may have seen was another example of the Barnes bullet that did not expand but it was not by me...

Those bullets were retrieved from a neck shot on one cow and a shoulder shot on another cow... Both cows were paralyzed and were shot with a pistol to finish them off... Not exactly a good performance from a "Hunting Bullet"... With different shot placement the animal(s) may have run off and died else where and suffered...

The bullets pictured were far from picture perfect and no where close to the claims by Barnes or their fan boys... But it is what it is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ironic that a recovered bullet from a dead animal somehow didn't kill it deader.</div></div>
This is usually the answer given when pics of "Failed Bullets" are posted... How original... A failure is a failure no matter how one tries to sugar coat it...

Pass throughs are highly over rated IMHO... I would much rather the animal have to absorb all the energy from a bullet than rely on a pass through to aid in tracking... After all with proper shot placement no tracking should be needed...

I have not tracked an animal or had one run over 30 yards that I have shot in a long long time... This due to shot placement and not bullet construction or headstamp... I have tracked animals shot by clients using just about every "Hunting and Match bullet" how ever... Once again due to shot placement and not bullet construction or headstamp...

Here ya go Tripwire... These are my bullets pics and weren't stolen off the interweb and used out of context... Just so ya know...

024-1.jpg

Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

With few exceptions, most are going to base an opinion on ONE shot they took or several sloppily executed shots and give an adamant answer based on "extensive field testing" and/or "Sierra says and that's good enough for me...".

EHG and a handful of others could offer a good answer, but the rest of us are giving an opinion based on experiences riddled with other variables...such as imperfect shot placement.

Just sayin'...don't take most of these guys too seriously...they've already got that job covered. Haha.

Use the search engine and find some of these old discussions, maybe? This topic ALWAYS devolves into a bunch of adults engaging in pitiful, childish bickering.

Oh, btw...I recommend the 165 SGK instead, but that's just my preference. A preference not Yet based on field experience. I'll be shooting SMK's all spring/summer for practice, but come winter I'll be switching to the 165 SGK...unless I decide I wanna kill some stuff with SMK's just to be ornery.

Kids, I think we need to talk less and shoot more. After I've sent a couple hundred rounds onto steel from my max hunting range and from hunting positions, the details such as bullet selection all mean Very, Very little to me. Practice out-weighs theory every time when it comes to shooting.

Sorry EHG...saw your post after I had already posted mine. Coulda just let you say it instead.

Used 3 165 GMKs on a 12pt buck at distances all under 100 yards. All three were 'fatal' but the big boy kept hopping along till thbe last shot shattered his backbone.

The first two X'd through the brisket and one dislocated the off shoulder but both of them failed to expand.

Used the 168 SMK for a few years on coyaotes and whitetails, did OK.

Use Amax's now on feral hogs, coyotes, deer, racoons hanging off the deer feeder.

Deadly accurate, nose sharpnels the lungs and the base punches through the body, under 300 yards completely through and out the otherside.

Put a bullet thats stout enough for the job into the vital zone and it doesnt matter if it has magic powers.

Even purpose built hunting bullets can fail to expand so be ready to drive another round into the animal. Lots of guys send that one round downrange with little to no thought on a follow-up shot.

That includes quite a few LE Snipers who send the round and then spot through the scope rather than bolt another round.

But that is another topic.

thanks every one for the info. I seen on the box were it said not a hunting bullet but I love the way HP shoot. My SMK loads are shooting great on paper just needed some info on how they expand on game. Didn't want to go hunting with them and make a mistake. I agree shot palcement is everything. I live in Abilene Tx and my hunt is taking place in Corpus Christi Tx. Big difference in overall weather and pressure. So not shure how much difference it will make on my shots. Thanks again for the info and opinions.

I've been looking for that SGK vs. SMK picture for awhile Brother, thanks! I remember seeing somewhere awhile back but couldn't find it.

Kinda tells it all doesn't it?
grin.gif

The Berger 168 VLDs have done an incredible job, on large whitetails, for me. Clean, 1 shot, in the boiler room from 100-550 yds. I have been amazed.

the berger 185 VLD is what i shoot out of my 300 RUM and they shoot great and perform well on Elk and bear. Havent lost one yet. everythign is one shot one kill with this round so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

With few exceptions, most are going to base an opinion on ONE shot they took or several sloppily executed shots and give an adamant answer based on "extensive field testing" and/or "Sierra says and that's good enough for me...".

EHG and a handful of others could offer a good answer, but the rest of us are giving an opinion based on experiences riddled with other variables...such as imperfect shot placement.

Just sayin'...don't take most of these guys too seriously...they've already got that job covered. Haha.

Use the search engine and find some of these old discussions, maybe? This topic ALWAYS devolves into a bunch of adults engaging in pitiful, childish bickering.

Oh, btw...I recommend the 165 SGK instead, but that's just my preference. A preference not Yet based on field experience. I'll be shooting SMK's all spring/summer for practice, but come winter I'll be switching to the 165 SGK...unless I decide I wanna kill some stuff with SMK's just to be ornery.

Kids, I think we need to talk less and shoot more. After I've sent a couple hundred rounds onto steel from my max hunting range and from hunting positions, the details such as bullet selection all mean Very, Very little to me. Practice out-weighs theory every time when it comes to shooting. </div></div>

Geez, what a dick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

Kids, I think we need to talk less and shoot more. After I've sent a couple hundred rounds onto steel from my max hunting range and from hunting positions, the details such as bullet selection all mean Very, Very little to me. Practice out-weighs theory every time when it comes to shooting. </div></div>

Geez, what a dick. </div></div>Listen to him, he wants to be Carlos Hatchcock. That means he knows alot. You got along way to go buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

Geez, what a dick. </div></div>

The truth is unsettling to some...

Read my original post and tell me exactly why my comments are off.

...and btw, EHG, I don't disagree with most of what you posted with the exception of the bullet cross-section diagram. The picture doesn't tell the whole story. The SMKs are made with a thinner jacket and the lead core is a slightly different material between the two. But, yes, they are very similar.

I had one bad experience with a well placed shot and decided that was enough for me. You apparently have had several good experiences. Great. That's the kind of info we're trying to get out to the OP, so he can make his own decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

Geez, what a dick. </div></div>Listen to him, he wants to be Carlos Hatchcock. That means he knows alot. You got along way to go buddy. </div></div>

You think I'm a dick from reading that? Ha! You should meet me in person and remove all doubt.

Yes, I wish I could shoot like Carlos Hathcock. Don't you? Or are you better than he was? If you're better than he was, I wanna be just like you. As it is, I can't shoot anywhere near as well as Hathcock did. I'm man enough to admit that I'm a civilian college kid that happens to like accurate shooting farther than most people are capable. Some of you lack the honesty to say the same about yourselves and would prefer to believe that you are experts at something that only a handful of men are...killing stuff. Even the real snipers on here don't necessarily know squat about killing game. They know a lot more than I (or most hunters) do about how to accurately place a bullet on target in uncontrolled conditions, but that means no more or less than just that.

I know a lot because I wanna be like Carlos Hathcock? Wow...um...good logic. I never said I know a lot...actually I coulda sworn I indicated quite the opposite. But hey, don't allow a silly detail like that to get in the way of your perception! LOL. As I said, you guys take yourselves way too seriously. I don't take most of you very seriously at all...does that hurt your poor wittle ego?

I got a long ways to go? No joke! lol. But that doesn't mean I'm not right...and that probably irks some people.

I take great amusement in how offended some people are with my honesty/bluntness, but I'm not here to make friends. I'm offering a perspective that I think is useful when asking advice of people that may possess as little or less skill/experience as I.

At any rate, I'm glad to have sparked some thought in otherwise largely inactive minds. Further discussion will likely devolve into an unproductive and childish quarrel in which my pride will not allow me to engage, so I probably won't "contribute" anything further to this thread. They are always fun to watch though!
smile.gif

Safe hunting,
-The Kid.

I heard a good one today, let me just call it a bit Windy! We had some jerk that got fired from work, then made some threats.
So we hired some Armed security agents to protect all of us unwillingly, unarmed employees at work. One of the security guys noticed my "God Bless Our Troops, Especially our Snipers" sticker posted in my cube. That got him interested, He then proceeded to ask me if I was a shooter, yeah yeah yeah. then asked me what kinda rifle I shot.
He then told me all about his rifle. .308 sniper rifle and then told me about his longest Kill! He dropped an antelope at 1500 YARDS!!! Using 168 FGMM.
Not saying it is impossible, but a pretty good story. I gave him my sticker, I thought he needed it more than I did..

So to answer your question, Yes- A 168 will kill at 1500 yards!
Enjoy, buy a hunting cartridge.

Mammal...

Your comments were not off at all and it was good of you to share your experience with us all...

My comment was more of a blanket comment to what Wannabe said... A lot of truth spewed from the kids post will be unsettling to those that the shoe fits best... Whether he was a dick about it or not...

I agree with the differences you stated with the SMK/SGK... I have used both extensively and have noticed no difference in their down range effects... I don't mean once or twice or ten times... I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of times...

I hope the OP finds what best suits his needs... The SMK will do him well, as will just about any other projectile as long as it is driven proficiently and placed correctly...

EHG, fair enough. Thanks for your input. And if there's anything you can do to stop Senate Bill SB196 I'd be appreciative. I wanted to hunt elk in NM in the next couple years!

Shot placement is key. I shot a whitetail doe right behind the head with a Berger Target VLD and there was only two pieces of hide holding the head on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

Geez, what a dick. </div></div>Listen to him, he wants to be Carlos Hatchcock. That means he knows alot. You got along way to go buddy. </div></div>

You think I'm a dick from reading that? Ha! You should meet me in person and remove all doubt.

Yes, I wish I could shoot like Carlos Hathcock. Don't you? Or are you better than he was? If you're better than he was, I wanna be just like you. As it is, I can't shoot anywhere near as well as Hathcock did. I'm man enough to admit that I'm a civilian college kid that happens to like accurate shooting farther than most people are capable. Some of you lack the honesty to say the same about yourselves and would prefer to believe that you are experts at something that only a handful of men are...killing stuff. Even the real snipers on here don't necessarily know squat about killing game. They know a lot more than I (or most hunters) do about how to accurately place a bullet on target in uncontrolled conditions, but that means no more or less than just that.

I know a lot because I wanna be like Carlos Hathcock? Wow...um...good logic. I never said I know a lot...actually I coulda sworn I indicated quite the opposite. But hey, don't allow a silly detail like that to get in the way of your perception! LOL. As I said, you guys take yourselves way too seriously. I don't take most of you very seriously at all...does that hurt your poor wittle ego?

I got a long ways to go? No joke! lol. But that doesn't mean I'm not right...and that probably irks some people.

I take great amusement in how offended some people are with my honesty/bluntness, but I'm not here to make friends. I'm offering a perspective that I think is useful when asking advice of people that may possess as little or less skill/experience as I.

At any rate, I'm glad to have sparked some thought in otherwise largely inactive minds. Further discussion will likely devolve into an unproductive and childish quarrel in which my pride will not allow me to engage, so I probably won't "contribute" anything further to this thread. They are always fun to watch though!
smile.gif

Safe hunting,
-The Kid. </div></div>Easy buddy. It's O.K. No harm meant. Man asked a question and you ragged it. He came to a good place I think. If you don't think so then why are you here? I don't like using them and that is based off my experiance. It's only about 5-6 deer or so but it's my results. Do you have and positive info for the man? Thats all I have to offer. Please forgive me for my ignorance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you give a rip what a bunch of internet snipers think about hunting bullet selection?

I got a long ways to go? No joke! lol.<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #FF0000">But that doesn't mean I'm not right</span></span>...and that probably irks some people.

At any rate, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">I'm glad to have sparked some thought in otherwise largely inactive minds</span>.</span> Further discussion will likely devolve into an unproductive and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">childish quarrel </span></span>in which my pride will not allow me to engage, so I probably won't "contribute" anything further to this thread. They are always fun to watch though!
smile.gif

Safe hunting,
-The Kid. </div></div>

But don't worry guys, "HE" doesn't take himself to seriously, so it OK.

A couple of weeks ago I shot a coyote with a 70-gr .243 SMK. Velocity at impact was about 2450 fps. The exit wound didn't look that nasty but there was a huge amount of blood on the grass behind her. I'd even missed the boiler room but she was flat-assed anchored. Once I got her skinned out, the hematoma surrounding the exit wound extended 3-4" in every direction.

tucker301, I load a 100-gr Nosler Partition for whitetails but after seeing the penetration this bullet got on that dog -- and it disintegrated her shoulder along the way -- I'm rethinking that decision. We're still in coyote breeding season so hopefully I'll get to test it on a couple more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didn't want to bump up the other thread that has finally went to sleep so I will respond to Tripwire here as the two threads are similar...</div></div>

Geeze, sorry douchebag.....

Missed that you wrote such a long coruscating expose' on my behalf....I'm flattered.

Must have taken you several hours to type all that........

Would hate to think you thinking I've ignored your, no doubt, fabulous expertise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is usually the answer given when pics of "Failed Bullets" are posted... How original... A failure is a failure no matter how one tries to sugar coat it...</div></div>

And a bullet recovered from a dead animal means the animal must have died, no matter how you try to spin it.

Sorta hard to dispute that....

My comment encompassed ALL you bullet failure guys and the pics "you" usually post on the 'net of failed bullets from a dead animal.

Redundant, at best..........

Pass throughs are highly over rated IMHO... I would much rather the animal have to absorb all the energy from a bullet than rely on a pass through to aid in tracking...
</div></div>

You'll never win that argument....been around a long time and we didn't invent it.

It'll likely outlive our grandkid's kids....more redundancy shamelessly pasted on the www, courtesy of you.

Here ya go Tripwire... These are my bullets pics

</div></div>

Yeah, sorry, no dink cow elk pics or recovered bullets here but, a couple deaths via 168 TSX's.....

HPIM2295.jpg

HPIM2294.jpg

Yep, shot placement is fairly important, 85 grain TSX.....

HPIM2287-1.jpg

I DO like an exit hole, on purpose....

Picture010.jpg

My middle son's first deer, 85 grain TSX, "went" 30 yards....

HPIM2627.jpg

My daughter's first deer, 85 grain TSX, 255 yards, "went" 15 feet....

HPIM2701.jpg

My oldest's first deer, 85 grain TSX, 125 yards, stumbled 20 feet....

P1010018.jpg

My oldest's second deer, 85 grain TSX, 180 yards, "went" into a pile....

P1010019.jpg

My oldest's third deer, 85 grain TSX, 275 yards, "went" in a circle trying to keeps it's feet....

P1010031.jpg

There's a lot more but I've better things to waste my time on. Will admit tho', I unsnapped my .45LC before taking this shot, just in case I had a bullet "failure", but the little 85 TSX works well on these too....a literal bang/flop/quiver.

I don't give a flying fucking shit what you shoot your animals with but don't try to bullshit me about TSX's......

HPIM2727.jpg

Tripwire,

I don't really care what bullet you happen to like, but...

Kudos for getting the kids involved like that! If you shoot TSX well and with confidence, go for it! It's working just fine, I'd say! Awesome pix too, btw.

Don't feel "Flattered" fuckface... My post was not written on your behalf by any means... Nor do I give two shits if you replied or not...

The fact that you missed it does not surprise me as I must consider the source...

You can shoot whatever gets your labia wet Turbo... I could care less... All bullets kill... But not all perform as advertised... That is obvious...

Your pics are, well "cute"... Comparing those "rats" to dink cow elk was very astute on your part... The fuckin gut piles from the cows weigh close to what those rats that you are so proud of do...

There is no argument or attempt to bullshit anyone here... You can take your TSX bullets and stick them up your ass... Lets hope they expand there as well... Use what best suits you...

The last pic with the "1000 Yard Stare" did give me a chuckle... Thanks for that one Hayseed...

These threads always crack me up. EHG, give em' hell!! For what it's worth (nuthin) I have had great luck killin hogs, deer, barbary sheep, elk and most recently, an oryx. All with 175gn SMK's out of my 7WSM.

Trip,

EHG and PGS bring a lot - A LOT - of field experience to the discussion. Their opinions are quite worthy of consideration. HathcockWannabe made an astute observation or two himself.

This was my first year to try Barnes, and I was quite underwhelmed. Used it on the first deer of the year on a trip out-of-state with a friend as I was unclear on their means and methods rules. My tally for 2010 was 9 deer and 8 pigs - all with 175 SMK's except one with Barnes and all were DRT except for the one shot with the Barnes. (5 deer in Texas, 1 out-of-state, plus three Axis which do not require tags. Lost my place with management tags to an oil and gas leasor this year unfortunately.)

Here is the exit wound on a 220# buck from a 180 gr. TSX from a 30-06 at 97 yards. The exit could not even be located until the deer was skinned. It was the one and only animal this season that was other than DRT. Shot placement was as requested by the outfitter although I prefer other unless it is longer distance and windy, such as on the wheat field below and the doe photos.
PB112074.jpg

A few SMK's with comparable placement for comparison, all DRT where they stood. Sorry to recycle a couple, but they are handy at the moment. Most were 100 - 200 yards.
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

BradyPics005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

2009MBRNov6-9100.jpg

Just to back up my personal view that I use SMK's when it counts and not just on the culls, a couple of bucks from this season with 175 SMK's from the South Texas brush country on a low fence ranch -

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0416-1.jpg

Used SMK's on these Axis culls, the largest of which was nearing 300# or more, and the longest of which was 447, all dropped where they stood.
IMG_0044.jpg

Here is the hunting ground for the Axis and does shown, so I need match precision for reaching out as best I can.

IMG_0038.jpg

Another thing about the Barnes bullets is they no longer have the market cornered on that type of bullet. I can get the Hornady's for half the price with the same effects, but why when the SMK's already shoot well and do the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't feel "Flattered" fuckface... My post was not written on your behalf by any means... Nor do I give two shits if you replied or not...

The fact that you missed it does not surprise me as I must consider the source...

You can shoot whatever gets your labia wet Turbo... I could care less... All bullets kill... But not all perform as advertised... That is obvious...

Your pics are, well "cute"... Comparing those "rats" to dink cow elk was very astute on your part... The fuckin gut piles from the cows weigh close to what those rats that you are so proud of do...

There is no argument or attempt to bullshit anyone here... You can take your TSX bullets and stick them up your ass... Lets hope they expand there as well... Use what best suits you...

The last pic with the "1000 Yard Stare" did give me a chuckle... Thanks for that one Hayseed...

</div></div>

A legend in your own mind, no doubt.

Congratulations?