• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hurricane Irma

photo71486.jpg
The neighbors not saying hello is bullshit, but rather than a "clique" that sounds like "damn Yankees" which aren't uncommon in your parts.

I was thinking that also, and a couple of vehicle tags confirms it. The guy on the end house was by himself having a beer. He waved and said hello. I think he's military or FD. Need to go by there and introduce myself. HE seems alright.

When oneshot86 and I spoke earlier he was running around but seemed to have shit well in hand (no surprise). I'd anticipated heading y'all's way to lend a hand and maybe pick up some work, but unless I hear differently from his tree service guy it appears that "Florida has this shit".

Mostly true about Florida has this shit.

I've got a few pics I'll try to post in a bit. They are from the Alafia river. It's normally 20' wide in this area and 1-1/2' deep.
The pic that looks like a street is 1-1/2 miles from the bed of the river.
The for sale sign is 500yds from the bed. Note the waterfront designation.
I missed my opportunity to get the pic of the monster truck with big, big, big tires on it.
Canoes, kayaks, Jon boats and one air boat.

Attachments

• photo71487.jpg
    photo71487.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo71488.jpg
    photo71488.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 16
  • photo71489.jpg
    photo71489.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Sorry the pics turned out crappy, I was moving at 30 mph and just holding the phone up snapping pics...
I promise I'll do better next time

Now that folks are being allowed home, traffic is backed up eastbound on I-10 from Mobile into Fla and from what I understand on I-75 & 95 into Georgia and the Carolinas.
I was watching the slowdown start at exit 15 in Alabama, and checked google maps, almost solid red the whole way east

Lots of road closures still, primarily in the interior from Orlando south so check on those before trying to take US17 and US27. Tomorrow should be downright ugly. If they thought getting out was bad, they ain't seen nothing yet...

​​​​​​Road Closure Info: https://fl511.com/#:Alerts

Hopefully the schools staying closed for at least this whole week will take a little pressure off, but I know homeowners are always quick to get back and access/clean up.

The north wind basically drained Mobile Bay yesterday, so I took my lady out to see it, totally not counting on the beginning of the rush back to Fla. I'd originally planned to pull off and let he take some pictures, but cops were diverting and ramrodding traffic in several places that made it ludicrous trying to stop, so I just snapped this one on the way back west.

IMG_1875.JPG
I know it's a shit picture moving in low light, but that was one of the rare defined bands we had yesterday. And all that traffic is on the old highway across the Bay, the police were sending cars on the interstate for a while and the old highway for a while to give traffic a chance to move at all.

Bogey, my relatives got into SFLA yesterday around 4 AM after leaving Newnan, GA at 4 PM the day before. Dad said it was a shitshow both ways (away and back) and sounds like he'd rather hunker down next time than go through that shit again.

A lot of my neighborhood got power last night. I think the reason my street and a few others don't have it is the big giant oak tree that fell across one of the main streets. The whole street is still blocked and it took power lines with it. It will take some pros to cut this tree out. It is a big effer I guess 3 ft diameter or better.

Bogey, my relatives got into SFLA yesterday around 4 AM after leaving Newnan, GA at 4 PM the day before. Dad said it was a shitshow both ways (away and back) and sounds like he'd rather hunker down next time than go through that shit again.

That sucks man, but I'm glad they at least made it back. My family ran into that shit with Katrina, where by the time they realized they should GTFO it was too late and they'd just be stuck on an interstate somewhere. With this one my grandmother said to kiss her ass when she was told to evacuate Charleston, said she'd rather sit in her own chair than in a car seat while the storm hit.

When I read the title, my mind immediately went to the shallow water anchor system used on boats.

I thought, why the hell would someone steal and mount one to their SUV?

Gotta stop watching fishing shows.

After Wilma the scrappers went wild taking everything not tied down. At my house they can get free brass copper and lead.

I scored a new 20 kw genset so life is good again. Natural gas so I am not chained to the gas pump feeding the pig.

Day four and we are starting to see life in the economy again. Still a lot of traffic lights out but it is getting better all the time. Lucky we have phones and power at office since Mon. It's bad to be out of power its worse to be out of a job. We have helped each other and have been one team looking out for each other. I paid them all for Fri. and Mon. loosing two days pay at a time like this is not a good thing. We help when we can but there is only so much we can do.

Power is back on at my parents neighborhood in Homestead as of last evening.

We stayed at the house after boarding up the windows and lashing down everything we couldn't stow inside. Long night with incredible vwinds, driving rains and plenty of time to rethink the wisdom of staying in the old casa.
​​​​​​
By the time it hit or area, Tampa, it was veering esdt, through Polk county, and we were on the weaker side of it. Still a Cat 2 they said, but nowhere near as much the ass kicking they got eadt of us.

lots of damaged trees in the yard but the house, cars and sheds are unharmed and we never lost power.

Miraculous.

A lot of people are hammered though with damage, and no power still as of this morning.

I agree though that I am seeing enormous displays of neighborly compassion and helpfulness.
​​

News said last night that some of the worst hit areas might be w/o power another week.
Meanwhile, keep an eye on the weather, as two more systems have strong chances of getting names in a few days as they meander towards the US.
GFS this morning has shifted landfall for the first one to the GA/SC border. Sure to change again.

Number two son in Polk county had power back in just over 24 hours. Looking at Gas Buddy it appears most places in the area have gas. Diesel seems sporadic.

Day six still no power. Economy is growing stronger and more normal as more places open. Gas lines non existent as more and more power restored. Life goes on.

Power still out here too. No trouble getting gas or water or groceries now. Plenty of clean up required.

Power came back yesterday PM. Amazing how important electricity is in our lives. It's modern day fire.

Still out here. There has been some activity here last evening and today from some guys from Southwestern Electric Power or something like that. But it seems like slow progress at best.