• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hurt by Jonny Cash…greatest song for reflection?

delinquent pleb

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
I’m up late drinking but listening to some music, Johnny Cash, that is reaching out to me.

question is: Hurt is one of the most prosaic, self reflective and thoughtful pieces of music ever written?

I’m up late drinking but listening to some music, Johnny Cash, that is reaching out to me.

question is: Hurt is one of the most prosaic, self reflective and thoughtful pieces of music ever written?

its good, but not even close to being the most thoughtful ever written.

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails wrote it.

1671200745048.png

R

for the next time the OP is drinking and wants the feels. im not claiming these are the most thoughtful ever written, but better than Hurt.

and enjoy the incredible guitar work by the incomparable Rich Brotherton.

Reactions: SBRSarge
Next time you are drinking alone at night and want some thinking music, I'd suggest you consider stuff from Leonard Cohen

Excellent music to think by or Excellent music to be depressed to, depending on what you want.

Some more deep reflecting music

Next time you are drinking alone at night and want some thinking music, I'd suggest you consider stuff from Leonard Cohen

Excellent music to think by or Excellent music to be depressed to, depending on what you want.

Or exactly the opposite. What a great talent starting a career with stuff like Suzanne and ending with stuff lie this once in a lifetime:

And my favorite cover of it:

"Love is not some kind of victory march, its a cold ,and very broken, Hallelujah"

Last edited:
Reactions: SBRSarge
What in the sweet fuck are you babbling about. You know, I know and Trent knows that Johnny made that song what it is.
Reznor was initially unsure about Cash covering his song, fearing that it would be “gimmicky”, and he was not blown away when he first heard Cash's version. But when he saw the video, this changed.

Nine Inch NailsTrent Reznor has revealed that hearing Johnny Cash‘s cover of his song ‘Hurt’ for the first time felt “like someone kissing [his] girlfriend”.

Those are copy/paste from interviews with Trent himself. He later went on to say he is flattered that Cash covered his song.

Like mentioned above Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor) wrote the song and nobody does it better. Credit to Johnny for trying, but in this case the original is better
100% this. Love John's music but original is much better.

Reactions: Bradu and madppcs
As good as some Cash music is, I don’t think much of it is “reflection” music. My personal opinion.

I have been listening to Downward Spiral since the mid 90’s. Whole album is incredible.

That being said, Cash covering the song opened it up to a bunch of people who likely don't listen to NIN. I have run into tons of people that had no idea it was a cover.

That being said, Cash was on his fucking death bed when he recorded it, you can hear the reaper haunting him in his voice. IMO, one of his most powerful performances.

Both versions hit me deep

It's weird how it seems like 2 different songs depending on who is doing it- from a young person struggling or a old person looking back.

"Good old boy like me" is the best song to drink/think/remember with.

Like mentioned above Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor) wrote the song and nobody does it better. Credit to Johnny for trying, but in this case the original is better
Everyone has their opinion lol. Imo, Cash blows the NIN version out of the water. It’s not even close. Cash made that song what it is and it’s who everyone I’ve ever heard mention it, relates it to. But that’s just my opinion. Maybe the live version I heard was an off night for NIN, I don’t know but I much prefer to hear Johnny’s version, which is very emotional and powerful as someone mentioned above.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Cash's version needs the video, without the video it isn't as impactful.

Not so much on the NiN version imo.

• Love
Reactions: Bradu
Or exactly the opposite. What a great talent starting a career with stuff like Suzanne and ending with stuff lie this once in a lifetime:

And my favorite cover of it:

"Love is not some kind of victory march, its a cold ,and very broken, Hallelujah"

Buckley drowned in the Mississippi River.

Imo he was going to get very big but didn't get the chance.

Rip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
Is there a mention of a truck, gettin drunk, momma or prison?

If not then it is not the perfect country and western song ;)
You lift out 'fightn', though I suppose that could be a sub heading under 'prison', or an outcome of 'gettin drunk'.

It's definitely the best cover song ever.

Johnny Cash does some other great covers as well.

Cash's version needs the video, without the video it isn't as impactful.

Not so much on the NiN version imo.

I didn't watch the video until I read your comment, definitely need to watch the video for the full effect. NIN is definitely better without a doubt. Kind of funny this topic came up because I played quite a bit of the downward spiral album at work today.

I listen to "A lap dance is so much better when the stripper is crying" by bloodhound gang when I really need to reflect.
WTF! I laughed my ass off listening to this. Either I need to drink more, or drink less…. I think I’ll sip some more bourbon and reflect…..

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr