• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hybrid Optics? Looking for a blend of hunting/target appropriate features.

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
Before I call Camera Land or Euro Optic, I figured I'd ask here... I'm (somewhat unexpectedly) putting together a new rifle. Naturally, it needs an optic. I'm just not well versed enough in what's out there and wanted to make sure I'm not missing options worthy of consideration.
  • Platform: bolt-gun
  • Cartridge: 6.5 CM, 6.8 SPC (more to follow)
  • Use: shooting at the range with my son (by my son) and toting about for hunting (also by or with my son)
  • Typical Conditions: daylight, perhaps some low light (i.e. legal shooting light for game)
  • Typical Distance: 0-300 yds (will stretch further, of course)
  • Specs: 24 ounces or less, with less being preferable. Not more than 4x on the low end, not less than 10x on the top. Mils. Locking windage.
  • Price: less than $2000 would be preferable
Somehow, I got it in my head that I needed to put together a bolt gun my son could run. While the gun will be fairly compact, it's not going to be "light" - I expect the bare rifle to come in around 7.5 lbs or so. In other words, this is gonna be a standard weight rifle when it's all said and done.

To that end, I don't really wanna throw an MPO or XTR3 on top IF I can help it. In a perfect world, Leupold would make the VX6HD in mil/mil (and it would be mechanically solid) - the 3-18x44 model seems a pretty nice mix of features otherwise. Other options I've looked at include the Razor HD LHT (I'm so-so on the reticle), Trijicon (a couple Credo variants), SIG W5 3-15 (a bit chunky) and a bunch more than were so far out in terms of weight, reticle, whatever that I don't mention them.

I'm not a scope snob (what a rabbit hole that'll be if the day comes...), so the level of optical quality required is "comfortable." I expect it to log a lot of time on the range and the shooter to spend a fair amount of time behind it. The reticle should be conducive to shooting precisely - paper and hide.

Seems like it would be more hunting then target, eurooptics just put a sale on schmidt bender klassics, i picked one up For 999.99. U will never go wrong with a schmidt bender or nightforce.

i currently have a schmidt bender zenith on a 6.5cm seekins havak, nightforce atacr on a noveske apache 308, and a leica amplus 3.5 15x50 on my daughters bergara ridge in 6.5cm.

the most enjoyable do all hunting and target is the leica amplus, its also a bit lighter than my atacr which helps while hunting. Leicas customer service is excellent, this new scope is very under appreciated.

or theres always nightforces nx8 that im sure is a awesome scope.

Reactions: DJL2
Matt has good advice. For light weight FFP I would consider the Trijicon Tenmile, Athlon Helos BTR G2 and Athlon Ares BTR, in weight orders that will appeal to you. Excellent IQ in this weight/price range. No disappointments here. The $1K- $2k is tough to find low weight and quality glass in the same package. The Trijicon has it wrapped up in this price range for FFP. $2K+ and the choices open up. I'm sure I am missing a few that others are familiar with and chime in.

Reactions: DJL2
I just ordered an Athlon Helos BTR gen2 2-12 for a similar hunting/precision crossover. I believe it's 25oz, but otherwise meets your criteria. Can't give a review of it because I won't see it for a bit yet.

I also have an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15. It has been great. No locking turrets and a couple oz heavier though.

From what you described, I’d just be patient and find a used Swarovski z6. They come up all the time on gunbroker. They come with mil turrets, alpha level glass, very light, huge eye box, and huge field of view. You don’t need anything crazy to shoot at a range up to 300 yards. I’d focus on glass quality and comfort.

Reactions: DJL2 and Guthwine
Bushnell LRHS, less than $1000. Usually one in the PX. Reticle is perfect for hunting. Might be a little heavy.

Reactions: chevy327
The Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is a little bit outside your specs - 26 ounces, capped rather than locking windage, $2100 MSRP - but maybe worth checking out.

The MK 5HD does seem nice. There's probably a separate XTR3 vs. MK 5HD conversation to be had. Both of those feel more like a replacement for a few things already in the safe, though. Price wise, I suppose that convo includes the Trijicon Tenmile as well (I HATE their new names/naming convention...).

Rough sense from research over the last few days:
The Bushnell LRHS is sorely missed by many and about 24.4 ounces. Found somewhere in Canada that has it for $1500. Used for $1000 would obviously be better. Seems like a pretty solid choice in general, despite not having illumination.

It would seem the Athlon Helos BTR is a current production competitor to the LRHS at first blush. Similar in many respects, the Helos is ever so slightly chunkier at 25.4 ounces and the price tells me it should be playing in an all together different league. Despite that, I see some pretty positive response to it here (on the forum).

There's the NXS 2.5-10x42 @ 20 ounces - $1600 list, though I can get it for $1450 from Euro Optic. Seems to get mixed reviews here. Looks good on paper other than the eye relief. Oddly, missed this completely in my initial search. For some reason, I don't usually think about NF stuff...

The Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 @ 23 ounces is a slightly chunkier competitor to the NXS...that is never mentioned, seemingly by anyone, anywhere. Looks good on paper, but gray man status might be something of a clue as to real world performance... The Tenmile 3-18 is getting pretty damn close to March F money (I've wanted to d24v52fiml for a while...just never an excuse); ought to have pulled the trigger when they were on sale a while back.

I've looked at options from Steiner, Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and Minox... there's a lot to love about many of those scopes. I struggle mightily with the feature set/reticle options on them, though. The strength would appear to be optical quality and weight...they seem to excel in those areas, dollar for dollar, in this crowd, but at the expense of features.

Good thing I've got an old Gen1 1.24-4x32 Accupoint in the safe. Seems like a lot more research still to do and then probably a bunch more time waiting for the "right" deal to come along. Can't remember what else I wanted to add here...it's late, I'm tired. Maybe a thank you for your responses? Yeah...we'll go with that.