• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hyundai

Re: Hyundai

My wife has a Tiburon GTV6 and loves it. It does drive pretty good and the 6 cylinder is one of the smoothest I've driven. Her's is an '03 with mileage somewhere in the mid-90k range. She bought it used so we don't have the 100K mile warranty (that's apparently for the original owner only and not transferable) but knock on wood, haven't had any real issues. The few (minor) problems we have had are:

-She broke the handle for the glove box so now we can't open it.
-The shade for the sunroof is a two-piece design and a little plastic clip broke. It now takes three hands and some patience before hitting the sunroof button (one touch open which is nice).
-Last weekend the rear wiper quit working. Could be a fuse but I don't know which one b/c the damn manual is in the glove box that I can't open... Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a pistol rug in there too.
-It's time for struts up front. I checked on prices and was pleasantly surprised. They weren't nearly as much as I was fearing they would be.

Lately she's thinking about selling this one and getting a newer model. She was looking at going with an 08' but for a little more could get a new Genesis. I don't really care for the "drunken H" emblem but have been pretty impressed with the little car.

The last GF had an 07 Sonata....Very nice car and untouchable by Toyota and Honda for the $$$.

Car and driver can't say enough about the new Hyundai so I am sure the praise can shine on the elantra as well.

my gf drove an 07 elantra for a bit and i was a decent enough car. she only had it for about a month and a half so not long enough to do a long term assessment of it. i work on cars for a living. everything from kias the to ferraris. its a decent car. hyundais olde than say, 2002 ish, stay away. they have improved a lot and remind me more and more of toyota. i think they hired some toyota engineers, but dont quote me on that.

Find a good used MB E320 bluTec. Saftey, Comfort, diesel reliability, and 40 mpg hiway. In Germany they use them a taxis and get 5-600,000 miles outof them. Whats not to love.

i bought a hyundai coupe(called a tiburon in america) new in 04, sold it in 08. never gave me a single bit of trouble. lovely solid car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did.
I want the Hyundai. </div></div>
Why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find a good used MB E320 bluTec. Saftey, Comfort, diesel reliability, and 40 mpg hiway. In Germany they use them a taxis and get 5-600,000 miles outof them. Whats not to love. </div></div> the repair bill is what is not to love when it's out of warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why? </div></div>

Comparably priced Elantra beats the Cruze in MPG, horsepower, torque, warranty, brakes (4 wheel disc), passenger volume, headroom, hiproom, legroom, but it is 3 inches shorter in wheelbase, and it's 400 pounds lighter.

We drove one today. It feels bigger than it is. It feels solid and heavy on the road and interior dimensions are much better than our Civic or Corolla.

The dealership is trying to locate one in our color choice and options package and I'll pick it Monday.

Thanks to some in-depth pricing research and full knowledge of bullshit fees that they can tack on at the end of a sale, I got the car for the price I wanted to pay.

In fact, it cost less than my Civic did in 1998.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find a good used MB E320 bluTec. Saftey, Comfort, diesel reliability, and 40 mpg hiway. In Germany they use them a taxis and get 5-600,000 miles outof them. Whats not to love. </div></div> the repair bill is what is not to love when it's out of warranty.
</div></div>

Im on my second one and havent had any problems to speak of,,,unless 40mpg is a problem.

Goldie, This Elantra will get 40 MPG, but on gas. gas is cheaper than diesel and it doesn't freeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]
Why? </div></div>

Comparably priced Elantra beats the Cruze in MPG, horsepower, torque, warranty, brakes (4 wheel disc), passenger volume, headroom, hiproom, legroom, but it is 3 inches shorter in wheelbase, and it's 400 pounds lighter.

We drove one today. It feels bigger than it is. It feels solid and heavy on the road and interior dimensions are much better than our Civic or Corolla.

The dealership is trying to locate one in our color choice and options package and I'll pick it Monday.

Thanks to some in-depth pricing research and full knowledge of bullshit fees that they can tack on at the end of a sale, I got the car for the price I wanted to pay.

In fact, it cost less than my Civic did in 1998.

</div></div>
Sounds like you pretty much convinced yourself! Congrats w/ your purchase!!! Just curious is it 400 lbs lighter because it's made out of carbonfiber or titanium???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goldie, This Elantra will get 40 MPG, but on gas. gas is cheaper than diesel and it doesn't freeze. </div></div>

I know your sold on it and it sounds like a good car. Further on the MB, they dont try to CUT wieght..mine wiegshs 3899 lbs...wieght is mass and adds to the quality of ride...yet its not slugglish ..0-60 in about 5.5 seconds and will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. And at least for me, anywhere diesel willl freeze Im not gonna be.

It does sound like another thorn in the American auto industry. Hope you find what your looking for. Its prob better for the driving you do. Check out ebay motors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a number of changes that make the car lighter.
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Elantra/Press_Release.asp </div></div>
Hyundai propaganda and selective comparisons aren't indicative of the facts! I worked for Hyundai for 3 years. Full of curvy eye catching styling, but behind in engineering and SAFETY and RELIABILITY. Made a mark in the industry catering to people w/ bad credit or a low budget! 400 lbs lighter due to what revelation??? Take notice I am not even pulling the "Buy American" card on you yet! Not just yet!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It does sound like another thorn in the American auto industry. </div></div>

Built in Alabama.
Your Mercedes?

It's a done deal. As soon as they locate one in our requested colors, we'll go get it.

Traded our old 1998 Honda Civic. I bought that car new in '98 and paid more for it back then than I paid today, before trade deductions, for the Elantra.
I just hope the Elantra holds up as well as the Honda has.
It's got some scars, but my daughter still had to give it a goodbye hug.

gavin-goodbye.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a number of changes that make the car lighter.
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Elantra/Press_Release.asp </div></div>
Hyundai propaganda and selective comparisons aren't indicative of the facts! I worked for Hyundai for 3 years. Full of curvy eye catching styling, but behind in engineering and SAFETY and RELIABILITY. Made a mark in the industry catering to people w/ bad credit or a low budget! 400 lbs lighter due to what revelation??? Take notice I am not even pulling the "Buy American" card on you yet! Not just yet!!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll play your silly game.
You select the criteria and post your own comparison to the Chevy.
By the way, you do understand that the Chevy Cruze is a product of GM Daewoo of...... wait for it...... SOUTH KOREA.
blush.gif

As far as the "revelation", the weight reduction is clearly outlined in the linked press release, which you obviously had zero interest in reading.

The Elantra is built in Alabama in an American assembly plant operated by a foreign corporation.... just like the Cruze.

Before you get smart; correct me if I am wrong but you asked for an opinion? I read the article that you so kindly posted and there is no clear indication as to why it's lighter! Do you see the comparisons made w/ other cars such as Honda and Toyota while the Cruz was conveniently left out?? Buy what you want and see what it's worth in a few years ; wait.... you are one of those types that will never sell it! Most cars are bad investments; some worst then others!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read the article that you so kindly posted and there is no clear indication as to why it's lighter! </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you see the comparisons made w/ other cars such as Honda and Toyota while the Cruz was conveniently left out?? </div></div>

Good God, man.
Your reading comprehension sucks ass!

FTA:

The Nu engine features an aluminum block with a cast iron cylinder liner, cylinder head and crank. This unique configuration results in a block that is <span style="text-decoration: underline">30 percent lighter than an iron block</span>, <span style="text-decoration: underline">shedding more than 74 pounds off the entire engine weight</span>, while still providing comparable strength.

The application of a plastic two-stage Variable Intake System (VIS), enables switching between long and short intake manifolds, resulting in an across-the-board performance increase. These result in a four percent improvement in performance, a 15 percent reduction in cost and <span style="text-decoration: underline">30 percent reduction in weight</span>, when compared with aluminum.

The all-new six-speed automatic is <span style="text-decoration: underline">11 pounds lighter</span> than Hyundai’s global five-speed and <span style="text-decoration: underline">17 pounds lighter than the five-speed automatic found in Honda Civic</span>. It is considerably simpler, having 62 fewer parts, which is a key to increased durability, lighter weight and lower cost. It also features a super flat torque converter that shortens the unit's overall length by 0.43 inches, <span style="text-decoration: underline">while being 2.6 pounds lighter.</span>

Elantra’s total interior volume of 110.4 cubic feet beats the 2011 Honda Civic sedan, 2011 Nissan Sentra, <span style="text-decoration: underline">2011 Chevrolet Cruze</span>, 2011 Ford Focus and 2011 Toyota Corolla. Surprisingly, it even surpasses the Acura TSX (107.1 cu. ft.), Nissan Maxima (110.0 cu. ft), and VW Passat CC (109.3 cu. ft.) in total interior volume.

POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO COMPARISON (<span style="color: #FF0000">note the comparison to the Cruze</span>)
UDpress_release_table4.jpg

The Elantra’s widespread use of high-strength steel provides a 37 percent increase in body stiffness at a <span style="text-decoration: underline">lower body weight</span>. High-strength steel allows the suspension to work optimally. At 2,701 pounds, the automatic transmission Elantra GLS is lighter than its competitors, while offering more interior room than Focus, <span style="text-decoration: underline">Cruze</span>, Civic and Corolla, with body-bending rigidity 50 percent higher than the Corolla. This weight efficient unibody architecture allows for Elantra to achieve an estimated <span style="text-decoration: underline">40 mpg EPA highway rating, without the need for a special eco model</span>.

ELANTRA VS. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #FF0000">CRUZE</span></span> VS. FIESTA - FUEL ECONOMY COMPARISION
UDpress_release_table8.jpg

/FTA

You didn't offer an opinion. You asked me why I chose the Elantra over the shitty car from the Korean division of a bankrupt American auto-maker.

Then, when I presented you with the facts and figures, you ignored them. Choosing instead to make ridiculous claims of unfair comparisons.

So, I'll repeat the offer.
Make you own comparisons and post something that makes some sense.

Here's the tool. Knock yourself out.
http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/compare/index.html

Hey Turk, What's the "doc fee" at the chevy dealership where you work?

Comprehension really? You neglected to post the other comparisons where the Cruze didn't exist! Read your original post; I think you may see where you asked for an opinion! I wouldn't exactly call their weight saving methods exactly a "Revelation"! BTW don't ask for opinions when you are clearly already opinionated! Some people don't like Onstar because of the "Big brother" thing; and I don't know about you but I'd like to have it for my loved ones!

And here's the head-to-head comparison chart from the Cruze's website.
Please note the red arrows, (they're <span style="color: #CC0000">this color</span> and look like arrows) which unfairly compare disparate year models.

bjG5t.jpg

Gee, do you suppose they somehow knew that the Elantra was all new for 2011, and that it handily trounces the 2008 Daewoo Lacetti in every conceivable way?

Nah... I'm sure it was just an oversight.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Turk, What's the "doc fee" at the chevy dealership where you work? </div></div>
I'll waive it for you!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Turk, What's the "doc fee" at the chevy dealership where you work? </div></div>
I'll waive it for you!
grin.gif
</div></div>

For those who don't know, the "doc fee" is one of the oldest tricks in the profit-padding dealer's book.
The fee is for processing and documenting the sale of the vehicle.
States that regulate the fee generally set it at $50-$100.

In VA, the state doesn't impose any such regulation, and dealers are free to charge whatever they think they can get away with.

The scam is that after you've done all of the haggling and negotiating, and have agreed upon a final price, this bullshit fee shows up at the bottom of the contract.
IF the buyer is smart enough to catch it and question it, the dealer tells them something like, "That's a standard fee. Everyone pays it."

The dealer I bought my Elantra from today wanted to charge $299 for the documentation or processing fee.
I told him that his fee was exorbitant and that I would allow him to charge me $100. No argument from him.

I also armed myself with price reports from Truecar.com and two quotes from competitive dealers.
I imagine old Turk hates that website too.

Not at all, actually ours are clearly posted thru out the building and doesn't simply appear on the bottom of the contract! Something people can clearly see if they aren't blinded w/ their opinions! Btw if you find a Body bending structural test compared to a Cruze and not a Corolla you just may find those 400 lbs!

So, if it's posted throughout the building, why are you so ashamed to tell me what it is?
And since you're obviously an industry insider, perhaps you could also explain how that number came to be. What are the justifications for the fee?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tucker, did you have anything to do w/ the demise of the Corvair and the 63 split window Vette? </div></div>

No, that was Chevy engineering and management too.

I can fully understand how Chevy drivers would want to have as much crash protection as possible.
Do you offer color-coordinated fire suits and helmets too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you do for a living? BTW it's $389 </div></div>
I publicly harass assholes.

So what's the justification for the $389... other than it's an unregulated fee and you usually get away with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What size do you wear? </div></div>

Magnum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What size do you wear? </div></div>

Magnum. </div></div>
Man you really are blind!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Majority is pure profit! How much do you charge to harass assholes? </div></div>

It's volunteer work. Like the Peace Corps, only I deal with assholes.

That is one of the strangest sales pitches I've ever seen.

I, personally, would have gone with:

"You want a Hyundai? Well good, because I wouldn't sell you a Chevy if you got down on your lousy stinking knees and BEGGED me, you malodorous pervert!"

Nothing makes people want something like being told they're not good enough to have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one of the strangest sales pitches I've ever seen.

I, personally, would have gone with:

"You want a Hyundai? Well good, because I wouldn't sell you a Chevy if you got down on your lousy stinking knees and BEGGED me, you malodorous pervert!"

Nothing makes people want something like being told they're not good enough to have it. </div></div>

Bwahahahahaha....

and I thought it was a cat fight.

BTW, whats up Turk...long time no see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I should be careful when dealing with you VA boys. For all I know this is posturing prior to some sort of mating ritual.

I'm cool with Goldie and appreciate his comments and opinions.
Turk is an idiot. I don't have much use for those.

I see someone is still running their mouth! I guess it's time I do a little volunteer work myself! Btw, an idiot can be defined as someone who cannot read or see clearly posted signs w/ in the law! Tucker not saying that's you but wait....Iam! Lets see what you wanna climb up on the mountain now! Hi Goldie, how are you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see someone is still running their mouth! I guess it's time I do a little volunteer work myself! Btw, an idiot can be defined as someone who cannot read or see clearly posted signs w/ in the law! </div></div>

I don't know what you're smoking, but you should probably take a break from it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zohan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now ive seen everything...chevy vs. hyundai thread...LMAO!!</div></div>

Ford refuses to associate with them since the bankruptcy.

Ford is the only Detroit maker I gave any serious consideration to on this deal.
I've had good experiences with their vehicles in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I should be careful when dealing with you VA boys. For all I know this is posturing prior to some sort of mating ritual. </div></div>

Hmmmm I see your point. that didnt come out exactly as i intended it.
blush.gif