• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am an Ivory Tower Nerd; I am not a Contractor, Veteran, or Valor Thief... airport story.

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I was coming back from visiting Florida on vacation with my SO (I was born raised there). I'm in the Atlanta airport for a layover, I go to mens room, and when I'm finished, as I'm headed to wash my hands, I get stopped by gentleman.

I'll paint you a picture: I'm 29, and short. 5'3". Hair buzzed to 1/2", full beard but kept squared away. I'm tan, my arms were visible and are scarred up from mileage (dumb kid adventures, fighting, domestic violence, and over a decade of fieldwork). I was wearing flip flops, blue board shorts and a white tshirt (cut me some slack! I spent the morning before the flights at the pool!). My daily and carryon bag, that I was carrying, was a 5.11 rush MOAB 10. I love that bag. I was wearing a plain green hat with an American flag patch. None of my tattoos were visible.

The gentlemen, dead serious, but with a smile, asks who I work for, and says he understands if I can't say. I was TOTALLY thrown off guard. I'm sure my face betrayed it. It took a minute for it to sink in what he was even asking. In no way would I guess in a million years that someone would pick ME out of a crowd at an airport and ask something like that. I had to tell him no no, I'm sorry, I'm just a civilian from a military family, who has never served, himself; I'm a scientist who does a lot of fieldwork, sometimes in some "interesting" places, and loves his country, but nothing more.

He keeps smiling and says he's just retired from the Air Force and that, well, I definitely look like I could fit the part. I washed up, shook his hand and said thank you and my deepest gratitudes for your service, sir.

My girlfriend was right outside and could somewhat here the exchange. As soon as I walked out she was like "Did that guy just ask if you were, like, paramilitary???"

This happened over a month ago, but for some reason the interaction REALLY stuck with me for some reason, especially given my family history of service. I was very very humbled. Anyway, just wanted to share.

It's not surprising in ATL, since that's where most of us, or at least many of us, catch the 16hr non-stop to Dubai. If that guy travels through there a lot he's seen the contractors in one of their disguises: decked out in 5.11 from head to toe (the FNGs on their way over on their first contract generally), the guys all bikered out, or the guys in the cargo shorts and affliction T-Shirts. What is common amongst all of them is the 5.11 bags or Oakley bags.

I intentionally bought some nice leather luggage and wear business attire when traveling in and out. I can't hide that I'm a westerner when I'm traveling, but I don't have to stand out as a contractor.

"You got to start traveling like a spook Brother!" James Bondish like.....

Heh. I love that damn bag for light travel or fieldwork. No sooner did I say "this bag looks perfect, so many uses!", I noticed the 5.11 thing becoming a cultural phenomenon, blowing up. I spent the last several years living in an unnamed city where police are gaining a reputation for pandemic levels of "operator syndrome".

bogey, the ATL thing makes a lot of sense.

You could just take the embroider off if you don't want any traveling harassment.. Sometimes it can hurt you, when they want to search everything you got or bother you by making you go through the sniffer machine... They did me, when accidently they saw my ex military ID in the wallet... We were in a hurry to!

Something like that happened to me once, the guy would not believe I was not in the military. However I was a mountain biker, pretty ripped, and he was SURE I was mil.

Did the questioner use a "wide stance" when in the stall?

Just thank your lucky stars you didnt wake up face down, smell of chloroform in the air, and a glazed (or maybe dazed) look on your face.

You were close sir, I hope you never face such dangers again.

Here is a picture of a Special Forces A Team circa 1988. This is a picture of my A team on a JCET in Italy (I'm the tall one, back right). You will notice nothing exceptional about the team. No beards, no short hair, no long hair. Our uniforms...post Vietnam OG 107's ...were issued out of war stores and loved by all because we could destroy them and not have to buy new ones at our expense. The only thing in the picture that says "SF"...besides our unit patches...were the then new Gore-Tex jackets only available to Special Operations units...and maybe the headgear and foot gear...we had spent the day mountaineering and climbing the Cinque Torre. You will notice there are only eight of us (including the photographer)...teams were always under-strength and it usually took a composite of two teams for a deployment. My point being how times have changed...we were truly "Secret Warriors" back then. Tattoo's were uncommon although not forbidden....especially anything that said "SF"...that would be a security violation. We were under a "dress code" when we traveled. At times we operated under "relaxed grooming standards", the purpose being to allow us to blend in with the civilian populace. I found this funny because any time a group of four to six guys showed up...all wearing beards...it was a sure bet it was an SF team.

Yep Maj. Jones,, the military has done went full blown Hollywood these days.. But,, theirs still some sneaky peaky type guys around, in sneaky peaky type units you never hear of.. The news just gives the credit to the Seals or "Seal Team Six.."

Sgt Major to a group of guys from a unit I was with: YOU, why do you have that beard. You're not authorized to have a beard!

Response: We have shaving chits from the doc, Sgt Major

Sgt Major: You can't have shaving chits, you're white

Response: So did you wake up as a doctor, or as a racist this morning Sgt Major?

String of expletives as the Sgt Major stormed off to go scream at the doc who gave almost the same exact answer. :D

Funny, had the same thing happen to me in Ohare of all places last fall. 3 day stubble and a close buzz cut. Using a 5.11 pack as it was the best I had for organizing everything for a 9.5 hr flight for me, my wife, and then 18 month old, as well as a long layover and a connecting flight home. TSA guy wouldnt believe my "No" though I told him several times I was not military or a vet. To the front of all lines and treated like royalty by him and those who he took us to. Truly flattered as I have great respect for those who have and are serving.
Glad there are those who truly work hard to take care of our soldiers and vets.

Same thing happened to me once.
It was late one cool Fall evening and I was walking along the beach in North Myrtle. It was after the Gulf War.
A lot of the top echelon operators depart from there, following the loggerhead turtle migration, using the sea-going reptiles as navigational aid and cover.

I was wearing camo cargos and Tevas. I have a scar on my right ankle from a nasty spider bike spill in 74. I'm not at liberty to say anymore about it than that.

Anyway, I encountered a 30ish white male walking 180 from my own path of travel.
We exchanged cordial "good evenings", and that should have been the end of it. But then he turned and started walking the same direction as me, and attempted to engage me in more convo.

Not wanting to blow my cover, or get blown, I turned and started walking back the other way.
He too turned and continued to follow me.

I had to implement an advanced tactical maneuver and advise the stranger that if he followed in my direction one more time I was going to punch him in his gay face.
I think he could tell that my dad was in the navy for four years well before I was ever born, so he backed down and moved off.

The only thing military about me is my worn Camelback pack(I really cannot find a bag to replace it with that is as tough as this one so I keep it). I usually keep my appearance somewhat scruffy when traveling. My tattoos are not military in nature, but time after time, I am picked out of the crowd as either military, or former military. The guy I always pick out in the crowd? Air Marshall/LEO..these guys are OBVIOUS!
I still, to this day, am extremely humbled when someone thanks me for my service because I know my uncle never ever got treated as well when he came back from Viet Nam. I only wish all the men I knew who didn't come back would get to hear these words. Being part of a multi-unit Unit, I knew so many faces that left and never came back, and each time I think of them, it hurts knowing they will never hear those words