• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes i am driving myself crazy

Rockhopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
'couve, wa
i have an ar15 spr with a 16" barrel in .223/5.56 that i am building. i am driving myself crazy deciding on an optic zoom range for this rifle. i have decided for sure i want the vortex pst ffp. and i have narrowed it down to the 2.5-10x32 or the 4-16x50 ffp models. i can get the 4-16 now. i am on a waiting list for the 2.5-10 (i dont mind waiting). this gun will be used for bench shooting and varmints from 0 yards to as far as my gun will let me shoot. just a do everything rifle. please give me some insight. i am going bat shit crazy trying to decide what zoom range is appropriate.

I tend to lean towards lower mag range for ARs. If you think you might be shooting up close very often, the fov difference from 2.5x to 4x is helpful. If shooting steel, 10x is enough for the supersonic range of .556, IMO. If shooting for groups on paper over 300 yards or at small varmints, the 16x will be a noticeable help, but of course with a smaller fov. The PSTs are good scopes, with the 2.5-10x32 seeming like the gem of the bunch optically. I like the 32mm objective form factor for ARs a lot. I'm running the discontinued Viper 2-7x32 on one of my spr's and love the compactness and I shoot fine with both eyes open with the 2x. Don't know if I helped anything on the decision, either would be great... Just a question of if you'll be spending more time at longer ranges or shorter. 2.5-10x does both pretty well in my book.

Last edited:
I have a 4-14 scope (not vortex) that I shoot on my 16in AR. I end up shooting mostly at 10x -12x due to optical quality and mirage, and I don't feel limited at all. I've shot out to 670yds on 10x ('bout a 12in target) and it worked great.
Personally I wouldn't do 4-16 unless I was using a longer bbl shooting the heavier bullets at longer ranges. I would, however, really enjoy a lower low end mag. My vote is the 2.5-10.
Plus, it's lighter, and you don't have a massive scope on your handy AR.

for bench shooting and varmints, a little extra magnification doesn't hurt, I'd probably opt for the 4-16 given the criteria, if I was packing the rifle, or wanted more general purpose, 2.5-10, but for shooting off the bench and small targets, why not have a little extra magnification

thanks guys that insight actually helps alot! couple of points were made that i did not even think about.

Is the FFP really worth the extra $250???
Im going to put mine on my 300 blackout for shots from 25-300 yds

Is the FFP really worth the extra $250???
Im going to put mine on my 300 blackout for shots from 25-300 yds
ffp and illumination in that extra cost.

only you can answer if ffp is right for you or not. depends solely on your needs and use of scope. are you hunting? bench shooting? needing to range? dial to make corrections?

I'm hunting pigs and small game at fairly close range. But will have plenty of opportunity to reach out past 300 yards. And I have "over 40 eyes" so I'll gladly take a little extra mag.
Still having a hard time justifying the extra $$ for FFP. ESpecially for 300 BLK

Above 10X, FFP is always worth the extra money in my book.

Under 10x... not so much.

for bench shooting and varmints, a little extra magnification doesn't hurt, I'd probably opt for the 4-16 given the criteria, if I was packing the rifle, or wanted more general purpose, 2.5-10, but for shooting off the bench and small targets, why not have a little extra magnification

That is exactly the way I feel.

"I wish that target was smaller, dimmer, blurrier, and generally harder to see" said no one, ever...