• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I bought a DPMS LR for $650!

dustinlotz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
Naples, FL
Yep. Just as the title reads. I was working a gun show this past weekend and I ran across this great deal.

The gun was a regular DPMS LR 308 (slick top). The guy had the barrel cut down to 20". The weird thing was he didn't have any factory mags with it or a case. I'm thinking he built it. It had a chrome bolt, DPMS stamped barrel, and was in real good shape.

I sold it not 10 minutes later and made a quick $150 (I really want a replacement for my SPS Tactical). What would you have done?

Re: I bought a DPMS LR for $650!

Probably he unloaded it because of function issues. When I asked DPMS why I could not get a 300 SAUM upper with a 24" bbl, they said that the bbl length and the gas port relationship was critical and one had to match the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scope it, thread it, can it and run it hard!!</div></div>

That might be tough, since he sold it.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you have done? </div></div>
Sold it for $1K......

yeah, that was a steal.
i've heard through the grape vine of a guy being charged as an 'unlicensed' dealer for making a profit like that exactly the way you did.
i would of kept it, i cant sell anything. im a buy and hold guy.

I would have kept it and shot it (or held out for more money) but, I had some bills coming due. Plus, I really want a bolt gun. I feel naked without one. There is something about a gun that you know every time you go for it, it's gonna work exactly the way it's supposed to. I can't say that about the big bore gas guns I've used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, that was a steal.
i've heard through the grape vine of a guy being charged as an 'unlicensed' dealer for making a profit like that exactly the way you did.
i would of kept it, i cant sell anything. im a buy and hold guy. </div></div>

That's EXACTLY what he could have been busted for. The alphabet squad will sometimes watch someone buy something and then come up a few minutes later and make a much higher offer to tempt this type of transaction.

It has been tried on me once at gun shows, two times on my dad and once on a friend of mine. I watched an offer like that start up on some uninformed guy who'd just bought an M44 at the Valley Forge show in March. I stepped in "just an FYI, but if you sell him a gun you bought today you're acting as a dealer. It's a felony, so keep that in mind. Tomorrow you can sell that rifle without any issues."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's EXACTLY what he could have been busted for. The alphabet squad will sometimes watch someone buy something and then come up a few minutes later and make a much higher offer to tempt this type of transaction.

It has been tried on me once at gun shows, two times on my dad and once on a friend of mine. I watched an offer like that start up on some uninformed guy who'd just bought an M44 at the Valley Forge show in March. I stepped in "just an FYI, but if you sell him a gun you bought today you're acting as a dealer. It's a felony, so keep that in mind. Tomorrow you can sell that rifle without any issues."
</div></div>

Can you find the ATF prohibition that actually stipulates a time span for individual, private party sales?

I was informed that in order for a private individual to be deemed a dealer, as it relates to ATF/firearms, they had to conduct themselves in such a way as a dealer would over a reasonable time period. Now, what constitutes a reasonable time period? One day, two days, a week? But one quick sell wouldn't likely be considered a dealer.

I have had this discussion at length with leo's who know.....aka US district Attorneys, ATF officers.... The law revolves around "intent." If you purchase with the intent to re-sell for profit, you are acting as a dealer or, at the very least, are making straw purchases. Time period, profitablility, frequency ect ect all have no immediate consequence in and of themselves but are only important in demonstrating your intent to a judge and jury.

The problem with intent (of course) is that is a subjective concept. You can sell dozens of guns all at huge profits and not be breaking the law or you can break even on a single gun and be breaking the law. Ultimately, in our system, your intent at the time will be less important than the determination of your intent at a later date by investigators, judges and juries.....and all that adds up to....."you roll the dice you take your chances...."

The only way to avoid any such issue is to never sell....
grin.gif

Seriously though, and I don't mean to preach, but I have had this conversation with the ATF. I didn't like having it. Please, do not risk your reputation, savings accounts, rights to firearms nor freedom over a few hundred bucks. know your intent and be aware how your intent may look to others.

well i bought a dpms ar-15 for $500 and shot it for about six months and then sold it for $1300 with some extras the a friend gave me,so i would of did it the same as befor

I've had stuff like that. I had a table set up at a local show, just to move some extra stuff. Guy came by, I had a 10.5" RRA upper on my table, he asked if I would take a trade. I said sure. He haded me a bushmaster, one of the ban guns, with no bayo lug or flash hider, two mags, and said he would trade it for my upper with $100. I thought it sounded like a good deal, so I said ok. He says great, and whips out $100 cash and hands me the rifle. I just kind of looked at him, he picked up the upper, and said thanks. Stuck $850 on the bushmaster, sold that in an hour. Kind of shocked me to say the least, but I guess he really, really wanted a 10.5" upper.

My intent was not to originally sell the rifle, but I thought for $650, I was not going to pass on the deal. I just so happend to someone that wanted it more than I did.

Funny story though....Here's the short version:

I bought the gun back from the guy I sold it to last week for a lot less than I sold it to him for. The catch is, he had issues with the weapon, the bolt specifically.

The ejector is not functioning properly and would not eject spent rounds. I think the ejector spring is broken because the ejector does not spring as it should. All other parts of the BCG and chamber look good. The only other thing is, the bolt is rather tight in the BCG, but I think that is okay and within spec.

The guy realized he had a problem when shooting it last week. Actually, the guy actually blew up a mag (a cheap Pro Mag) clear out of the bottom of the rifle. He fired it with the bolt only closed about 90%. I know what you are thinking, impossible right? Well, I didn't believe it until I repeated the action with a spent casing. The weapon did fire with the bolt only closed about 90%.

The rifle was properly inspected, and it had no damage after the incident, other than the mag of course (thank God for thick Lake City brass). I didn't want to originally buy the rifle back, but the guy made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Long story short, does anyone know where I can get an ejector spring for a DPMS 308? I really don't want to have to buy another bolt. If I can't order one this weekend, I'll touch base with DPMS and see if they have one to spare.