• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I can barely navigate this site - pages loading VERY slowly if at all

GrayRyder

Wandered in by accident
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 10, 2017
    I don't know if this has been discussed in the past but I can barely navigate the site. Whenever I click on almost any link, be it a forum name or a thread, it takes 2 to 3 minutes to load the page. I know the page is trying to load because the little thingey in left corner is moving. And sometimes, when a page does load, it's blank - no content at all.

This has been going on for months and I figured it was due to network congestion or something but it seems to be getting worse. I'm using Firefox as my browser - should I try another? Please advise. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I don't think it's the site. It loads just fine for me. I would clean your browser and do all that stuff and see if it improves.

2F312C7E-C6FA-4F32-8E07-912D42520F00.gif

I use the latest Firefox, v.95.02. Forums have been loading fast, with a few times it's taken maybe 1-2 seconds. Overall, it's been pretty snappy.

I
    I use the latest Firefox, v.95.02. Forums have been loading fast, with a few times it's taken maybe 1-2 seconds. Overall, it's been pretty snappy.

Ever try brave?

Ditto. Sometimes it's slow but that's because of my internet connection, not the browser.

OP, do you use an adblocker? The latest Firefox seems to have some minor disagreements with certain adblockers on some sites, although so far the Hide hasn't given me that problem.

I tried cleaning the cache and deleting cookies. Problems are not much better. For instance, it took me 3 or 4 attempts at opening the alerts icon to even see these messages you posted.

And sometimes, if I click a link, any link, I'll get taken back to the SH homepage. While I hate doing it, I'm going to try Chrome and see what happens next.

I dont use a computer, only my cell phone...but it works great and is fast for me?...🤷‍♂️

I dont use a computer, only my cell phone...but it works great and is fast for me?...🤷‍♂️
    He's been "discouraged". OP was bitching about the pay to sell PX stuff many moons ago and was probably done in by that.

I find it sorta funny,

we change a rule or something else is adjusted, as it always is, I mean it's the internet things change constantly

So I make a change and a small group hates it, rather than moving on, repeating the cycle of coming and going, some people come in, other people go away, they decide to complain, loud and often.

Sure misery loves company, they hate what they see, so they want to encourage other people to join in on the hate, maybe force something else, whatever the motivation they feel the need to collect others. Instead I decided discourage is the way to go, just gently remind them, if you don't like the place, it's policies, you are free to leave.

In fact I would rather you said nothing and just disappeared vs trying to drum up a chorus to join you.

But for, we don't have to censor, we can just discourage you from being that guy on here

The description of this particular subforum reads as such "Sniper's Hide site information, latest updates, forum errors, technical reporting." Notice that bit about "forum errors?" I have a forum error so I posted it here and instead of getting some help, I get a lot of bitching at me. How the hell do I know if I'm not being just the first to report a problem that many other people (or none at all) may be experiencing - and yet I'm complaining "loud and often?" You guys, including you Frank, get so fucking self righteous that you can no longer recognize an innocent attempt at getting a problem squared away and instead confuse it for trying to share misery. I don't care about the fucking policies, I'll deal with the fucking policies. Just don't conflate unhappiness with policies (which by the way, I've already gotten over) to having a technical problem with the fucking website.

Lastly, I've been here a long time and I intend to stay here a long time. Unless I get banned for standing up for myself. I go to sleep at night after looking at the hide whispering the words "Frank's site - Frank's rules. "Frank's site - Frank's rules." I realize that I matter to this site about as much as a tick on the tail end of an elephant.

And by the way, I STILL cannot reach out to anyone to make private message.

When we changed to this software we added a tool, the tool is designed to discourage a member from using the site without directly banning them.

This is not a policy disagreement, this was a result of actions, your actions, that lead us, or me, to add you to discourage group vs straight up banning the account. It’s when no real rules were broken, but a member decides to push the envelope just to the edge. Usually it’s a personal thing vs a technical problem, it’s personally attacking the site or my management style, hence its opening the door to give you options.

Those options are easy, you can stay here, recognizing the dynamic of the community, the need to put controls in place when entertaining large numbers of users, so in a word, we compromise a bit. We know things are not perfect, and we acknowledge that a tiny one room clubhouse is going to be more intimate, more personally fullfilling when its just us, vs a 3 story hotel with groups in involved in different discussions on every floor. Some floor might not appeal to you, we get that, so there is no need to complain about them. It’s a department story circa 1940s, something for everyone, but not enough of one thing to take over.

Discourage is not a technical glitch, it’s a built in tool, you are not being mocked, but being educated.

I'd pm you Frank but that feature doesn't seem to work anymore.

"This is not a policy disagreement, this was a result of actions, your actions, that lead us, or me, to add you to discourage group vs straight up banning the account. It’s when no real rules were broken, but a member decides to push the envelope just to the edge. Usually it’s a personal thing vs a technical problem, it’s personally attacking the site or my management style, hence its opening the door to give you options."

WHAT did I do to get me included in the "discourage group?" I've been banned 1 time in all my years here on the hide (and that was for something I did by accident) and now all of a sudden I'm on some "discourage group"?? I don't bitch about the changes, I don't bitch about the discipline I don't push the envelope with you Frank or other users. I just come here, do my thing and leave and now I'm on this blacklist?

Oh, I will correct myself - I did say it was a sad day when we'd have to pay to be members so we can post on the PX but that was NOT directed toward you FRank. It was simply a statement that it was sad that conditions had gotten so bad that you had to take that action. NOT an indictment of you - If that's how you interpreted it you were wrong.

So...how long am I going to remain in the discouraged group?

Last edited:
    I'd pm you Frank but that feature doesn't seem to work anymore.

"This is not a policy disagreement, this was a result of actions, your actions, that lead us, or me, to add you to discourage group vs straight up banning the account. It’s when no real rules were broken, but a member decides to push the envelope just to the edge. Usually it’s a personal thing vs a technical problem, it’s personally attacking the site or my management style, hence its opening the door to give you options."

WHAT did I do to get me included in the "discourage group?" I've been banned 1 time in all my years here on the hide (and that was for something I did by accident) and now all of a sudden I'm on some "discourage group"?? I don't bitch about the changes, I don't bitch about the discipline I don't push the envelope with you Frank or other users. I just come here, do my thing and leave and now I'm on this blacklist?

Oh, I will correct myself - I did say it was a sad day when we'd have to pay to be members so we can post on the PX but that was NOT directed toward you FRank. It was simply a statement that it was sad that conditions had gotten so bad that you had to take that action. NOT an indictment of you - If that's how you interpreted it you were wrong.

So...how long am I going to remain in the discouraged group?
    Discouraged group lasts up to 5 years. With good behavior you could be back scrolling the PX without aggravation within 12-24 short months!

Stop clicking on links offering millions of dollars from a Nigerian prince, bro.