• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I cant be the only one that likes MRE

Are you high?

Did you ever have to eat them for a year?

They are the exact opposite of a laxative... Straight brick sideways coming out...

Most the vegetarian ones were the best...cheese tortellini ftw
This is soooo true. Like I feel like I pink socked myself after eating MRE's. Eh I will disagree on the cheese tortellini. When your heater works yes, but it tastes like complete ass to me at least if you don't heat it up.

I always kept the crackers in my BDU coat pockets . . . but that was before we had ceramic plates.

I figured they would work pretty good for body armor.

. . . and then they did come out with the ceramic plates. I should have patented the idea.
Shit the bread was worse when ripped up and put into the chili and beans not bad. I was told in basic that it is called fuck you bread, because if you don't have water, it can and will kill you its so dry. lol

No bro they do not, they are full-size packets of m&m's now. Regular and peanut ones, as well as skittles of every variety. If you get any of those they you don't get the muffin top, or pound cake though it takes the place of those. They also came out with like a vanilla milkshake powder and a few other shakes. You just have to mix it with cold water which we never really had in the field lol. Those weren't too bad tasted like a sweet protein shake lol.
Didn't those have a powdered "dairy creamer" (for coffee or something) in the pack also? I think we mixed the shake and creamer together, and added water. Trying to remember, haven't had an MRE since I retired...

Reactions: jpop8807
Didn't those have a powdered "dairy creamer" (for coffee or something) in the pack also? I think we mixed the shake and creamer together, and added water. Trying to remember, haven't had an MRE since I retired...
Yes yes they did because it came with that little thing of instant coffee. Oh I never tried that.

Reactions: Cowpokey
When your heater works yes, but it tastes like complete ass to me at least if you don't heat it up.
I remember when the "heaters" first got added to MREs...of course I was still in Korea, so we were eating the old dark brown outer package MRE, pre-heater....cause, shelf life or something.

Are you high?

Did you ever have to eat them for a year?

They are the exact opposite of a laxative... Straight brick sideways coming out...

Most the vegetarian ones were the best...cheese tortellini ftw
Bro, I think I want to buy one so my GF can try it out. She doesn't do anal. I figure after she eats one and it blows her sphincter out, she won't have any problem with me putting it in her but, because I'm nowhere near the size of the monstrosity that will come out of here lmfaooo.

I remember when the "heaters" first got added to MREs...of course I was still in Korea, so we were eating the old dark brown outer package MRE, pre-heater....cause, shelf life or something.
Ya those things were so hit or miss. For some reason if it was cold as hell outside they never seemed to quiet work, but if it was a warm day out you're going to scald your hand trying to take the food out of the heater bag thing. When I was at Hood, I found this weird box contraption in a layout of the connex's turns out bradley's have like a plug in water/mre heater. Clearly we were infantry so we were never allowed to use it. Because god forbid hot water in a freezing Dongduchon climate.

Reactions: DynamicAccuracy
You mean #4?
Fuck, that was nasty.

Cheese tortellini wasn't too bad.

I usually tried to get the ham slice, some crackers and the jalapeno cheese spread.
Put it together and get your grub on.
Then drink 4 bottles of water or its never coming out. 🤣
Ham slice, shelf stable bread and the cheese spread made for a decent sandwich.

Reactions: MarinePMI
As a kid I remember eating them. My Dad would bring home a case of expired ones here and there. This would have been early 90's.

The grape drink powder was awesome as a kid.

I don't remember what they all were but I don't remember any of them being bad, granted we only ate them hunting. And they all had meat (or at least supposed meat).
Also always heated them up, usually just with boiling water next to the fire. Don't remember ever using the heaters.

I was going to buy a few cases but the menus now are just horrible. Can't get a case without vegan options, stuff I wouldn't feed to prisoners, and just odd shit.
And if you want individual items you're far better off to get backpack hiking marketed stuff for the same or less cost.

Rarely ate that trash in country, I would have the guys get food on patrol from local shops or markets and ate that way or take it into a locals house and have them cook it up

Reactions: JLP83
The only one I remember being able to stomach was the C rat tuna.
Because it was...well....a can of tuna.
Where's the other guys that remember K rats and the pack of 5 cigarettes that came in them ?
Sometimes there was a pack of 2 chicklet chewing gum pebbles....those weren't bad either....if they weren't stale and crumbled.

Reactions: jrassy
I liked chicken salsa and the fettuccine was not bad. The peanut butter would bind you up but as long as you drank plenty of water, you would be OK. I use to save the fruit pouches when I was inconus as my dad (Korean War vet) always liked them.

Chili Mac is hands down the best because of all the stuff it came with. If you take the chili Mac and the jalapeño cheese that it came with, put both in the mre heater, then the cheese melts (kind of…) and you can mix it with into the Mac with the mini Tabasco and you got spicy, cheesy gourmet goodness. Pretty sure it came with pound cake and candy too.

Edit to add: every one is also right about cheese tortellini…solid choice 2nd only to chili mac

The first and last time I personally experienced MREs, was during PR matches where they were provided as a "meal" (there was usually a decent meal at the end of the match). Is anyone still doing that?

Y'all remember the Omelet from back in the '90s? Yeehaw! People fought over that one. Fought over getting stuck with it.
Hell yeah I do. But to be honest I have been craving the good old tuna n poodle. Not sure why. Along with chalk brown Hershey bar.😂

Surely I'm not the only one that genuinely likes MRE food. I'm not saying it's 5 star food and that I'd want to eat it everyday but for rations it's not bad at all and it doubles a great laxative for when you really need to take a healthy dump 😂
I was the same way for about six months coming out of ranger school. I’d eat them in my barracks room. I’d eat them right after going to the chow hall. Must have been the pent up hunger. Thankfully everyone made fun of me until I snapped out of it

Where's the other guys that remember K rats and the pack of 5 cigarettes that came in them ?
Sometimes there was a pack of 2 chicklet chewing gum pebbles....those weren't bad either....if they weren't stale and crumbled.
The gum in the dark browns had a laxative in them to solve all those anal retentive folks problems. If you didn't eat the gum, you passed a cinder block-

Eventually.
If you still have one in your shtf bag, or hunt rig-
Eat the gum, save your bum.

😁
FB_IMG_1581276702801.jpg

I had some MRE's sitting around that I had for emergency reasons and got one out and prepared it to let my kids try it out. They didn't think they were terrible, but they certainly weren't gourmet, but I don't think anyone has ever expected them to be gourmet.

They never gave me the shits, they were like a cork in the poop chute, if you eat a bunch of 'em, you ain't gonna poop for a while, and when you do go, you're going to shit a stone.

The most prominent memory I have of MRE's were during my time in the Infantry at Ft Campbell in '97-'00. Jalenpeno (pronounce Gel-op-en-oh) cheese was the 'hunnit dolla bill' of trade fodder.

Branden

Reactions: Huskydriver
This is soooo true. Like I feel like I pink socked myself after eating MRE's. Eh I will disagree on the cheese tortellini. When your heater works yes, but it tastes like complete ass to me at least if you don't heat it up.

Bro it was all about that rucksack stach of tapatio bro...tapatio on everything.....

Reactions: MarinePMI
Surely I'm not the only one that genuinely likes MRE food. I'm not saying it's 5 star food and that I'd want to eat it everyday but for rations it's not bad at all and it doubles a great laxative for when you really need to take a healthy dump 😂
Chicken with salsa
[Fake]Pork rib
Jambalaya
Chicken tetrazini

I still keep a case or two of them on hand for when I jam out to the desert for a couple days and too lazy to actually make food 🤣🤣

Last edited:
The gum in the dark browns had a laxative in them to solve all those anal retentive folks problems. If you didn't eat the gum, you passed a cinder block-

Eventually.
If you still have one in your shtf bag, or hunt rig-
Eat the gum, save your bum.
Not the MRE chicklets.....the ones in the older C rats.
Been a long time ago, but if I remember right they came in the packet with the freeze dried coffee, creamer, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Don't rag on me too badly if I'm off a bit....we're talking 35-40 years ago +.
We didn't get those fancy little tabasco bottles, you young coddled kids don't know what you missed.

I don't recall specifics of what exactly was in it, but I distinctly recall getting WWII era dated cans more than once.

Reactions: GUN NUT in IA
During Desert Storm I was in heaven: no one liked Chicken ala King and I loved it....for about 6 weeks. Can't think about it now without vomiting slightly.

Anyone remember Tiger Chicken?

Chicken ala king was my first MRE. I opened it and it smelled like vomit.
I threw it out.

Not the MRE chicklets.....the ones in the older C rats.
Been a long time ago, but if I remember right they came in the packet with the freeze dried coffee, creamer, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Don't rag on me too badly if I'm off a bit....we're talking 35-40 years ago +.
We didn't get those fancy little tabasco bottles, you young coddled kids don't know what you missed.

I don't recall specifics of what exactly was in it, but I distinctly recall getting WWII era dated cans more than once.
Young and coddled ? That's an ignorant statement . I bet you never served .

I could go for some early 90's Maple Nut Loaf.

My experience doesn't come from the military, but being young and poor. I knew someone who'd procured several cases of MRE's that were outdated by more than a few years. I took them and basically through sheer necessity ate every damn one of them. Except for one meal of hotdogs oddly enough, that nearly knocked me over when I opened the package. They had gone really really bad.

Many years later I ate a Chicken ala King and it make me violently ill. I can still tastes it today.

Last edited:

I still have a few P-38s somewhere.

Only you army wankers called them a p-38.
"We" called them a John Wayne.

BTW, Haney, you've proven you never served, many times.
You have no dog in this hunt, boy.

Reactions: EddieNFL