• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes i dont see much love for USO.... anyone have an opinion as to why?

I have their 1-8 and its an awesome optic, but there are so many other optics now that offer similar quality that its hard to stick to just one brand.

Just got a b25 and have an atacr f1, the uso is easier to float the turrets on to rezero, the zero stop is better, it has a revolution indicator, where do you guys get off saying uso is inferior. Scope size is very similar, I like the power ring better in the uso better as well. Both scopes are great and initially I can't tell that either have an edge on glass.... will shoot with them today and compare further.

The B-17 with Gen 2 XR has my attention.

Had one of the SR-4C and illum was stellar in all light conditions. Liked the illum button interface much better than trafitional rotary control. Well built, tough and heavy. My Burris TAC30/MTAC had way better image quality.

Fine optics. I find myself having different scopes for different purposes. I have Leupold, USO, S&B and NF. I find them all great and accurate, but different. I find the actual design of USO to be lacking, but the quality and reliability are great, as is the selection of reticles.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I remember when I first started reading here a number of years ago USO had a big following. Today I got a new Sig Sauer Tango4 6-24x50 in the mail from Europtic. I opened it up and it was missing the little fiber optic tube on the magnification ring and when I mounted it, the reticle was canted. So, sent it back and saw that the USO LR17 with GAP reticle MIL/MIL was on sale. So, I went ahead and got one coming to me. I'm pretty excited to give it a try. I gave the cheaper option a chance and was disappointed. I've had a bunch of NF NSX's, currently have a Vortex Razor HD2 and I'm pretty much in the $2500 max range optics category. So this fit the bill.

When I talked to the Sig Sauer rep this morning he had no idea what I was talking about a fiber optic tube. He told me he would call me back. Never heard back. Bad deal with the SIG Sauer. Hope this USO works.

ETA: I might need some help with the EREK set-up

Last edited:
My only experience with USO was back in '06 when I bought a PMII 5-25 from Alex and JBW3 decided on here, that he would produce a limited run (100 pcs. IIRC) of 4" ARD sunshades for a competitor's scope. I bought one and thought that was really cool of him.

Still have it.

Chris

According to their newsletter, dealers have stock of their B-series and they're now accepting custom orders.

Never owned USO but in the market for new 25x scope, would like to see some more reviews on the B25 w' PR2 Reticle.

There was a time when, if you wanted a high mag FFP scope with lots of erector travel, your choices were limited to S&B, USO, Premier, etc.
USO built customized scopes to order, and they were renowned for being tough as a brick. Ever seen the video of an SN3 (or ER25?) being repeatedly tossed off a cliff then remounted with a zero shift of less than an MOA?

Nowadays there are a lot more choices, so competition has driven prices down and feature sets up. We're all spoiled by the abundance of good LR scopes available today.

I briefly owned an ER25 with the older 9 mil/rev EREK.
It was a beast of a scope. The glass did not have quite the pop of some other alpha scopes I've owned and that can mislead the user to thinking the glass is not as good as it really is, like it is in NXS scopes. Of course it tracked accurately.
The lack of zero stop and zeroing system in general turned me off. I traded it for an HK45 plus a bunch of cash.
I regret not running it for a while.
With the addition of a zero stop and more reticle choices, the Model B seems worth considering if it can be had for a competitive price (under $3k).

Posted in this thread early on and within that time traded a G2 Kahles for an ER 25.

Couldnt be happier, loving this scope.

My 2 cents parrots the remarks of others in that "for the money" there are other feature rich options with perhaps more innovative features. If you get a deal on one there is no reason not to consider them. Even if a bit stale in innovation still great rock solid optics. The new models appear to have a few cool features but at the price point hard to compete with SB.

Repeating earlier statement things were easier when the choices were Loopy, NF, USO and SB. Pricing was stacked in that order as well.

I bought an ST-10 because its build like a tank and love it. Saw USO was making some changes to there line
so i went to shot and had a look around USO's booth, had a look at a few of there new scopes and one of the
girls asked me if i needed any help. I said wheres your new ST-10 she said that scope got discontinued...
me- nooooooooo!!! Soo i went outside and called optics planet and droped on one of the last three they had in stock. Now it sits ontop my other remy in .308

well i picked up a sn3 3-17 since posting this. just got it mounted last night, havent had a chance to get it out and really play with it. two things i notice right away....the reticle has marks on it...other than where they are supposed to be....like ink spots in the outer edges. and #2...in looking at it (unmounted) the glass didnt really blow my doors off. that being said, now that it is mounted on a rifle, i am going to take it to the range and see if dialing it in makes a difference, it very well could. the thing is truely built heavy...and that aint bad for what i plan on doing with it.

well i picked up a sn3 3-17 since posting this. just got it mounted last night, havent had a chance to get it out and really play with it. two things i notice right away....the reticle has marks on it...other than where they are supposed to be....like ink spots in the outer edges. and #2...in looking at it (unmounted) the glass didnt really blow my doors off. that being said, now that it is mounted on a rifle, i am going to take it to the range and see if dialing it in makes a difference, it very well could. the thing is truely built heavy...and that aint bad for what i plan on doing with it.

If your marks are dust in the reticle then USO will service it under warranty. You just have to contact them and ship it in..

Back in '04 I got in on one of the Snipers Hide Group Buy w USO. Ordered an SN3 and waited the months it took to get it in. Loved that scope ever since.
Heavy,, yes, could be used as a sledge hammer,, yes. Trading it,,, Never.

USO was a player back 7-10 years ago not cause of anything amazing except it was essentially USO, S&B or Hensoldt and only 1 cost <2K. This was even before NF NXS F1. There are simply a ton of BETTER alternatives at the same or lower price point! Pure fact. Dont blame it on new toy Kool-Aid.

unERGOnomic was always considered great because TPAL sucked and had such a narrow focus. But it was definitely unERGOnomic. Can a design make. shooter get any further out of shooting position to adjust?

Reliable with good customer service you'll have to use for internal cleaning. Dust on the reticle = normal with USO. Solution to whack it hard on a phone book repeatedly to knock the dust onto the grease? How about better QC.

I owned 6 or 7 USO in my time before I bit the bullet on S&B... then sold every single one off.

USO was a player back 7-10 years ago not cause of anything amazing except it was essentially USO, S&B or Hensoldt and only 1 cost <2K. This was even before NF NXS F1. There are simply a ton of BETTER alternatives at the same or lower price point! Pure fact. Dont blame it on new toy Kool-Aid.

unERGOnomic was always considered great because TPAL sucked and had such a narrow focus. But it was definitely unERGOnomic. Can a design make. shooter get any further out of shooting position to adjust?

Reliable with good customer service you'll have to use for internal cleaning. Dust on the reticle = normal with USO. Solution to whack it hard on a phone book repeatedly to knock the dust onto the grease? How about better QC.

I owned 6 or 7 USO in my time before I bit the bullet on S&B... then sold every single one off.

You ought to take a look at the b series before you write the company off

If your marks are dust in the reticle
Dammit. Now I have that Dust On The Bottle country song stuck in my head... and it actually applies to the tone of the older USOs mentioned in this thread lol

Noted USO has had issues, time to move on and see if this new B25 is good or not. I have never owned a USO so no dog in the fight here, just want some constructive reviews from non menstruating pax.

Have a B25 with Gen2XR en route. If it ever arrives ill give review how compares to my March 5-40, S&B 5-25, Vortex Gen2, Steiner M5Xi and last my Burris XTR2.

I havnt owned an USO optic since my 5-25 with MDMOA rect in 2010. man that thing was a beast. Sold it to fund a S&B. It didn't compare then. Hopeful it will now.

Regards,
DT

I've always wanted a USO, but they always seemed at least a couple steps behind in product development while maintaining the same price point. The new B series has me very interested, but it all depends on what the price settles out at. Feels to me that Vortex and Nightforce have a choke hold on the domestic market.

You ought to take a look at the b series before you write the company off

I'm risk averse and will let others try it first, but would take Bravo being touted as the 2nd coming of baby Jesus for me to switch off S&B Ultra Short.

Looks like McQuay @ 8541 Tactical has a B-17 on the way, per facebook page. Sweet!

Well I got a great deal on a B25 w' PR2 so I couldn't pass it up, will be a Month or better before I can get home to mount it up and do some shooting but I couldn't pass it up. My first USO so hopefully this new B25 works out.

I'll be goddamned! I just bought the older 5-25x58 version from a member for $2235! Not a bad deal at all considering it IS what I wanted and has the knobs and GAP reticle I wanted/already have and use, but still, had no idea these were going for that! Oh well. FWIW, the older ones LOOK cooler... It's going on a DTA HTI .50BMG so it won't matter much anyway as long as a clip on will still fit.

Edit: I looked over their stuff and that's the only one for that price. It let me order it, but I didn't pay for it so I guess it's real. No reason why it should be that cheap... Wish I could snatch it up too. The rest are $3000+. They had some of the older ER25's and LR17's for $3000+ and $2600+ respectively. I don't know, I still love my older USO's but there are lot of great optics to choose from these days.

Haven't seen any of those 1-8x or 1.8-10x scopes for $999 like I've heard, but I damn sure will snatch it up when I find one. I'd love to get one of those 1.8-10x for my Grendel and the 1-8x wouldn't be bad on the Grendel SBR. They have some nice reticles too and some of the Horus stuff doesn't break the bank.

Last edited: