• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I F###ING HATE RUGER!!!

Re: I F###ING HATE RUGER!!!

I love the reply "you have to be 10% smarter than what you're working on". It's a Ruger and their engineers have their heads in the sand. I had two of their MKs and now have a S&W 41. I bought a beater for $450,polished off the rust pits, and had it threaded for a suppressor. My friend than ceracoared it two-tone black slide on dark earth frame.

I've owned at least two Rugers for as long as I can remember and never had any problems with them. If you just take the time to look at it and understand what does what, it's sort of self explanatory. I think the Ruger Marks are pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble.

sixpack,

I totally feel your pain. I had the exact same problem about 10 years ago with a ruger 22/45 (I think)... I ended up taking it to a buddy of mine who does a lot of gun work. It took him almost 2 hours to get it together. I had a friend who had been bugging me wanting it, I sold it cheap to him. A couple years later, I ended up with it again... it found a home with my brother, I got it back... finally I gave it to my brother in law and told him I would help with anything as long as it had nothing to do with that Ruger. They shoot great but I do not understand why they cannot make them user friendly. I saw one come into a gun shop that was not working. The "smith" took it apart and replaced something (don't remember what was broken) but he had to file down some part to get it together. He told me that he has probably had 70 of them apart and only a couple went together with ease... he said he always dreads seeing a box come in because it might be one of those Rugers.

Try a S&W mdl 41, they are SWEET!!!

If my smith told me that he was going to have to take material off of a part to get the gun together, I'd find a new gunsmith.

I have 4 Rugers and love them.... Maybee you should start out with a six shooter till you get use to tearing one down...just saying.

Too funny. I've had that same fit before. Best thing I can say is, once put back together, never take it apart. My original is 22 or 23 years old and hasn't been apart since the first time, the day I bought it. For cleaning, I just douche it with high pressure mineral spirits and let it dry. Spray with oil. Wipe it down and shoot it. Mine has never failed with thousands of rounds thru it.
I have a 22/45 with PAC-lite upper. Took it to someone else to install.

S&W K 22 solves this problem. Had several Rugers..good shooters...PIA to take apart.

Picked up a Mark III Hunter today. Read the manual. Took it apart and back together in about 20 minutes. It's different, but geez!

Bring it over to the gander mountain in chambersburg and chuck or I will be more than willing to help ya with it. Worst case scenario we'll make ya an offer on it. Lol.

I've had to mess with them before. They are quite different. I'm not so sure that a .22 pistol has anything over another .22 pistol in design. I'm convinced it has to do with quality from the get-go:

DSC_0441.jpg

WRONG.......
You must have the hammer cocked and the strut clear of the cross pin to re-install the bolt.
Your best bet(what "I" do)is to point the muzzle up, pull the trigger to let the hammer fall back. Insert bolt, then point muzzle down and let the hammer go forward(pull the trigger also)to the closed bolt. Now hold level and position the hammer strut on the plunger of the spring housing then latch in place.
Cycle the action a few times.
You should be GTG.
Cheers,
LG

I felt the same way when I tried to put mine back together when I bought it a couple years ago. Once you figure out how to reassemble it, the process will get easier and will become pretty straight forward.

Or sell it to somebody who gives a damn about Ruger and go buy a better gun. Either a Browning Buckmark, A high standard (like mine) or a Smith & Wesson Model 41.
wink.gif
grin.gif

I think the Ruger mark series are great pistols. Perhaps some of the best .22lr pistols available. It definitely takes a lot of getting used to but once you do it a few times it gets easier, not nearly as easy as my fn-fnp9, but pretty easy. Occasionally it will give me trouble but not that often.

Also like others have said, I would gladly accept any ruger mark pistols that you don't want anymore, even in pieces.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRucker2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they really aren't that difficult to work on, I don't understand why so many people have problems. They're also probably the most reliable, well built rimfire pistol on the market.

For the unsatisfied customers here, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll give you my address for proper disposal of your pistols.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

hahahaha......i get at least one a month in a bag to reassemble. easist $25 a guy can make. i really love the repeat customers, even after i stand there and show 'em how to do it.

Found humor in how you wrote your post, but no laughing here—because I have experienced the same thing.

In all absolute seriousness, no sarcasm or exaggeration involved, the dis and ass of my Ruger Mk 3 is more difficult than that of the M2 .50 cal.

I clicked the trigger at the wrong time and the whole gun became hopelessly non-functional. Yes that online video is worthless when this problem occurs. But with a call to Ruger, a very helpful gentlemen walked me through the process of fixing it, which involved holding it a certain way, taking a firm but cushioned item (a phone book) and slamming the muzzle down on it 5 times whilst my thumb depressed the trigger and I sang the proper incantations.

So now, this gun works just fine, is incredibly accurate and reliable, and I just don’t ever take it apart. I bore snake it after shooting, I CLP her up a bit, and I clean out what I can in the operating area with Q tips, but I’m gonna try to go the rest of my life without ever disassembling it again. Now how’s that for being a quitter?

Seriously though. I recommend my approach. Keep the gun. It’s the most reliable 22lr I’ve ever used.

All I can picture while reading this thread is a room full of toddlers trying to put square blocks in round holes.

LOL! Been there brother. Take it apart and put it back together another time or two and it should be easy from that point on. They are tight as hell from the factory. I was sweating and you'd swear I had Tourette's on my first time breaking mine down. Been a piece of cake ever since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo

Watch that, it's only a minute or two.

Now, how hard is it really?! </div></div>

This was the best video for me. I did however need a hammer to help since my Ruger is so new.

I sometimes read this thread just to make me laugh. I just went through it with my first Mark 3. Too funny

you gotta tilt it up at a 45 degree angle, that's the secret! Once you succeed that first time, it's not so bad...

Hell, I just shoot an old S&W 422 - it cost me $200, has a 12-round magazine, and functions perfectly on whatever cheap stuff I through into it. Accuracy is better than I am, and all that need be done for suppression is to buy a cheap threaded muzzle bushing. As a bonus, your sights will still clear a can, since the barrel is offset from the sight plane by a solid half-inch or so. Disassembly and reassembly takes just a couple of seconds, and all you need for a tool is a spent .22LR casing.

Even now they can be had for well under $300 on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243167824

Kimber8400KimberStainless1911Rug-4.jpg

RugerCompetitionTargetMarkII.jpg

RugerNRAMarkII.jpg

I presently own and shoot these 3 Ruger Mark II and Mark III .22 pistols. I've fired thousands of rounds through them. I do not understand why people feel the need to disassemble these guns when it is totally unnecessary. If you want to get your Ruger Mark Pistol spotless, there is a much faster, easier way to do it.

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a gallon can of Kerosene or WD-40. (WD-40 smells better and is easier to find). It runs around $12 to $14 a gallon, and will be the best money you ever spent.

Pour about a quart into a clean 2 pound steel coffee can. Pick up several of those fake Camel hair paint brushes in the paint dept. while you are there. Cut the bristles down to about an inch long with a sharp pair of scissors. (This helps the bristles stay stiffer). Remove the magazine and give the gun a good wet cleaning. Brush the WD-40 or Kerosene into everything. You won't hurt a thing. It will not attack plastic, or the finish on your grips. Flood it liberally into the action, down the magazine well, and especially in and around the bolt face. You will see the black gunk ooze out, and the solvent turn black as you proceed.

Keep flooding everything until the drippings come out clear. Then give the entire pistol a good blowing out with compressed air. If you don't have an air compressor, or else live in an apartment, you can buy a small portable unit from Harbor Freight very reasonably. These are perfect for cleaning guns.

After you blow everything completely dry your pistol will be cleaner than the day you bought it. I then re lubricate the weapon thoroughly, and wipe it down with an oily rag. There is zero need to disassemble these guns unless they break. I do much the same with all of my bolts from my bolt action rifles. I have never taken a bolt apart in 40+ years of shooting, simply because there is no need to if you clean by the method I've outlined above. It gives a very good result, and makes life a lot easier in the process. Bill T.

I also clean all of my magazines this way. I simply toss them into the coffee can of clean WD-40 so they are totally submerged, and allow them to soak for up to an hour or more, depending how dirty they are. I then give them the same treatment with the paint brush and air compressor blast. They come out spotless inside and out. If you live in a humid climate you can oil the inside with a Q-Tip dipped in Mobil 1, or a similar lubricant. Easy, fast, and zero cussing. Just like the kind of women we all like. Bill T.

I really dont understand what is so difficult?

1. Dry fire gun (empty)
2. Remove magazine
3. Paperclip to open mainspring latch
4. Pull mainspring latch assy out (may need tapping)
5. Make sure hammer is down
6. Pull bolt
7. Tap upper off

Takes me about 10 seconds to do all this

Reassembly
1. Install upper (STRAIGHT)
2. Make sure hammer is down (pull trigger and shake)
3. Install bolt
4. Install mainspring assy with bolt DOWN but dont latch
5. Pull trigger and lean gun forward to move hammer into fired pos.
6. Make sure mainspring plunger lines up and latch...done

Another 10-15sec

Do this 10 times in a row and I guarantee you will think it is much easier than most all 22 auto pistols out there.

Buckmarks suck, have to remove screws.

P22's good luck with that latch most of the time.

Mosquitos...well, dont even need to talk about those.

Neos, same thing, POS.

SW 22A is about the easiest out there, but not a great gun.

Sorry, I didnt read the whole thread, not sure if someone already posted instructions.