• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I got it!! YAY

Re: I got it!! YAY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Left the S&B off your list.

OFG </div></div>

There wasn't anything wrong with the S&B except the "tunnel" and the tight eyebox..
I still say Premier's glass, dare I say is WAY better than S&B's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gappa, I will say one thing. You are taking the flaming quite well. Or is it just the 'ol ignorance is bliss syndrome? </div></div>

I'm used to it, i'm an idiot. remember.. we're the ones that always get picked on..

I am genuinely trying to help, and the pictures of the moon, nice as they might be, add nothing to your complete lack of understanding.
Canted reticles can be aligned correctly.
Particles inside a scope, though they can be annoying, do not diminish the scope's utility. And they can be removed.
Oil on the lenses can be cleaned.

None of this detracts from the obvious:
1. You are pursuing the unattainable.
If Premier and S&B don't make a scope good enough to keep, no one does.
2. You are finding fault in minor issues rather than taking advantage of the immense utility and usability of the optics you have returned.
A great optic can help a good shooter shoot better. No optic can turn a non-shooter into a super-secret-squirrel-recon sniper.
3. You keep coming back to money, as though spending more gets you closer to what you think you need.
If the S&B didn't do it, there isn't much further to go. Personally, I love my Premier LTs, dead nuts repeatable, great glass, great turrets, everything is where it should be and operates as it should. Had mine arrived with oil inside, I too would have been displeased, but would have sent it back for a cleaning (asking for THAT ONE back and not another. "That one" would be inspected, fixed, and returned with some personal attention.)

My advice stands. Hell, get an SS10X and take a course. Get the Viper and take a course. Get something and TAKE A COURSE.

At this point, you have rejected some of the best optics available, either because you are too good to use the tools of we mortals, or because you don't, in point of fact, know what the fuck you are doing - and are trying to throw money at fixing that problem.

Buy a scope, any decent scope, have it correctly mounted (which means NEVER having it mounted by your local gun shop) in good rings, and <span style="font-style: italic"> get professional instruction on the use of modern optical sights.</span> Without that, no one here can help.

Hope you find what you are looking for. You seem to have had an unusual run of bad luck with high-dollar scopes.

One brand I do not recall (doesn't mean it wasn't mentioned, means I don't recall) being mentioned is Kahles. They are supposed to have a really good eye box.

Nice moon picts.

OFG

I have been shooting for many years, and although I lost all my guns several years ago to a nasty divorce, nice guns with decent optics back when Leupold was "the shit".. Even trained/shot on the range at Quantico MCB with a "real" sniper a few times. I'm just now getting back into it and yea there is much more for me to learn but at least I'm trying..
The way I see it, spending that kind of $ I would expect nothing short of perfection. Anything short of perfect is unacceptable.

another problem I have is there is nowhere I can go and actually look at these scopes and compare them side by side so what do I do in a situation like that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another problem I have is there is nowhere I can go and actually look at these scopes and compare them side by side so what do I do in a situation like that?</div></div>

i would reread this thread, and take the advice of the people, that actually own the scopes

My advice is stick to telescopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris m</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another problem I have is there is nowhere I can go and actually look at these scopes and compare them side by side so what do I do in a situation like that?</div></div>

i would reread this thread, and take the advice of the people, that actually own the scopes </div></div>

What may work for someone may not necessarily work for me.. Everyone is different.
I'm normal and everyone else is weird.

Colonel Meyers: Are you new to rifle scopes, Gappa?

Gappa: Yes, sir. Just came over from telescopes.

Colonel Meyers: Were you good at that?

Gappa: Yes, sir!

Colonel Meyers: Well then, stick to it because you're a walking cluster fuck as a scope user.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My advice is stick to telescopes. </div></div>

OR.......Mount the telescope on the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My advice is stick to telescopes.</div></div>
Best advice anyone could give you is above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gappa, I will say one thing. You are taking the flaming quite well. Or is it just the 'ol ignorance is bliss syndrome? </div></div>

I'm used to it, i'm an idiot. remember.. we're the ones that always get picked on..</div></div>

I haven't been picked on? There is a reason that this is happening to you, and not just because your relatively new on here.

Rancid Coolaid has some really good advice here. Listen to him and you might actually learn that a S&B is not a optic you return because no matter the little imperfections, the glass is a tool and known how to use properly is one of the best scopes on the market.

Also, a canted reticle has nothing to do with the scope it has to do with who mounted the glass, which I am guessing is you. Level the dang thing and make sure your rifle is level when you are shooting and guess what, there won't be a cant in the reticle.

A few additional comments:

- In practical use, all top end scopes mentioned here are superb. They all have a slightly different mix of features, so a particular design fits some specific people a little better. However, they are all good.

- Familiarity with astronomy and astronomical telescopes does not by any stretch of imagination imply any knowledge of understanding of optics in general or sighting systems in particular (Gappa, before you start arguing with me, take into consideration that I work with imaging and sighting systems for a living and the Takahashi telescope you keep on posting pictures of is very low end by my standards, so stop trying to brag).

- Leupold was never "the shit". They have made a lot of nice scopes over the years, but until recently never made a foray into the world of truly high end scopes. I do have high expectations of the new Mark 8 scopes.

- Take RC's advice. He forgot more about using riflescopes that most people will ever know.

ILya

Takahashi and Astro Physics ARE the names in modern amateur astronomy. I don't need to brag, just trying to open some eyes that there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle. Ilya if you are in the optics field then you should appreciate these finer optical devices rather than call a $5000 scope and a $6000 mount a piece of shit.

15-20 years ago there wasn't much of a selection in the way of scopes was there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takahashi and Astro Physics ARE the names in modern amateur astronomy. I don't need to brag, just trying to open some eyes that there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle. Ilya if you are in the optics field then you should appreciate these finer optical devices rather than call a $5000 scope and a $6000 mount a piece of shit. </div></div>

Someone of use are running 5k spotting scopes. So ya....its time to shut up, you have absolutely nothing to contribute here in the name of optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm you again Team POS... </div></div>

lol if thats the best you got jackass time to go to another forum.

So much hate going on, and he has even clearly stated he is an idiot and clearly new...

Jealousy does have a bitter taste I imagine...

when I lived in Northern VA everyone that knew me thought I was the "Beltway Sniper" FBI even came to my house and did GSR swabs on my service truck
No BS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">15-20 years ago there wasn't much of a selection in the way of scopes was there? </div></div>

Let me think about it for a moment. Which other companies were around 15-20 years ago? How about Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, ... ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takahashi and Astro Physics ARE the names in modern amateur astronomy. I don't need to brag, just trying to open some eyes that there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle. Ilya if you are in the optics field then you should appreciate these finer optical devices rather than call a $5000 scope and a $6000 mount a piece of shit. </div></div>

Yes, there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle or than what is used in modern amateur astronomy.

By the way, there is a difference between "piece of shit" and "low end". Look it up if you are not sure what it is.

There is also a good reason why inexpensive observation telescopes and telescopic sights are designed very differently from each other. Not that you would know what that reason is.

The only point I was trying to make there was that you attempts to brag using a completely irrelevant type of an optical instrument are bordering on pitiful. What the hell do your moonshots have to do with riflescopes?

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takahashi and Astro Physics ARE the names in modern amateur astronomy. I don't need to brag, just trying to open some eyes that there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle. Ilya if you are in the optics field then you should appreciate these finer optical devices rather than call a $5000 scope and a $6000 mount a piece of shit. </div></div>

Yes, there is much more to optics than what tops a rifle or than what is used in modern amateur astronomy.

By the way, there is a difference between "piece of shit" and "low end". Look it up if you are not sure what it is.

There is also a good reason why inexpensive observation telescopes and telescopic sights are designed very differently from each other. Not that you would know what that reason is.

The only point I was trying to make there was that you attempts to brag using a completely irrelevant type of an optical instrument are bordering on pitiful. What the hell do your moonshots have to do with riflescopes?

ILya </div></div>

of course I understand the differences between observation and telescopic targeting sights, targeting optics need to be designed on a whole order more rugged and able to withstand being exposed to repeated shock and other abuse. Still the optical designs are basically the same, objective and ocular. It's whats in between that sets them apart.

the moonshots were to show how ignorant I really am when it comes to optical devices. only a pure moron does stuff like that

Gappa, you lack instruction, and you need it desparately.
Great that you have a telescope, congrats, you don't know shit about rifle scopes.

If I had a nickle for every guy who has told me he trained with authentic Marine snipers (off the books) I too could afford an S&B.

Buy a scope, take a class, all else is a waste of everyone's time.

Also, a canted reticle has nothing to do with the scope it has to do with who mounted the glass, which I am guessing is you. Level the dang thing and make sure your rifle is level when you are shooting and guess what, there won't be a cant in the reticle. [/quote]

The reticle in this particular scope was off center from the turrets. I don't see any way of fixing this by making sure the rifle is level. When I looked through the scope it was crooked in relation to the turrets. So I could have mounted it with the crosshairs level and the turrets canted, or the turrets level and the crosshairs canted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the moonshots were to show how ignorant I really am when it comes to optical devices. only a pure moron does stuff like that</div></div>

The fact that you used a moon shot to demonstrate your proficiency when it comes to optical devices in a riflescope discussion is a testament to your ignorance.

Whether you are moron is not something I can determine. I do not know you well enough.

ILya

Looking like that more and more. This thread is NOT about someone trying to find a suitable scope.

But to some it is not the destination, but the journey.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, a canted reticle has nothing to do with the scope it has to do with who mounted the glass, which I am guessing is you. Level the dang thing and make sure your rifle is level when you are shooting and guess what, there won't be a cant in the reticle. </div></div>

The reticle in this particular scope was off center from the turrets. I don't see any way of fixing this by making sure the rifle is level. When I looked through the scope it was crooked in relation to the turrets. So I could have mounted it with the crosshairs level and the turrets canted, or the turrets level and the crosshairs canted. </div></div>

Did it track properly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not goin anywhere.. </div></div>

Actually that's not up to you. That's up to site admin. You want to become a useful part of the site then you will stay around but if you want to continue to be a thorn in the side of the site and post like a troll then your visit will be short lived.

Your choice how you want to act. Our choice of whether you stay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A thorn? Jeez I'm the one being attacked! </div></div>

In case you've not picked up on the idea, the Victim Card is not the ace of trumps here.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may not know units of measurements but I know optics, I've been doing astronomy for years. [img:center]
amb5va.jpg
[/img] 
[img:center]http://[/img] 
[img:center]
ruw3t4.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never was that good at math, trying to grasp this. </div></div>

Which part is the most confusing, the arc or the difference in measurement?

</div></div>
I understand the Arc that's easy I understand the relativity between 1/1000th of the distance. But it's the math between to get the distance to the target or the size of the target,Im still reading the artcle and it's helping. </div></div>

Aside from star gazing, aren't even the most basic observational sub studies of astronomy math based sciences? Additionally, (correct me if I'm wrong) aren't traditional telescopes tools of the trade used to the same effect as atmospheric or radio telescopes?

The fact that a telescope and riflescope both bend light is irrelevant to one's experience in the other field, as well as one's ability to manipulate or operate the other. The learning curve does not cross develop between the two, and holds about the same relevance, or lack thereof as a being familiar with a microscope...

There is however a common thread I feel you are failing to acknowledge...
While the finest glass may offer you advantages above and beyond that of inferior offerings...
Purchasing the glass:
1) Will not substitute for lack of experience
2) Will not in and of itself provide or develop knowledge to whatever application it is intended for
3) Will not improve upon issues limited by errors from fundamentals

Few other notes...
Step back for a second; what are the odds that a single person in a period of two months bought four quality scopes, in a row, from 3 separate reputable manufacturers that are either "defective" or unacceptable? Seriously...

Could these scenarios be more likely:
Leupold- you did not have mounted properly combined with an improper cheekweld which caused your eye to focus on the reticle off axis = illusion of canted reticle (this is the same scope you used to shoot 1/4" from stock rem 700 with 1/2" average?)

Premier x2- normal, as noted by several others that what you were experiencing was not a defect, and could be remedied.

S&B- you only looked through the scope while holding in in your hand...(mounting it may have stifled your opportunity to return, playing with the scope for free)
Again, if it was properly mounted and combined with proper weld... Would you still notice this "tunneling effect" and would it have been unacceptable per your your shooting needs?

Lastly, you don't seem to understand why you are being criticized...

Your pics of the moon are nicely done but don't belong in either this thread (as well as your telescopes) or in the riflescope section.

You repeatedly post off topic from your thread and bump it with single statements and/or questions (banter) that does not contribute to the discussion. 

You brag about, and critique monetary possessions (mostly unrelated) to avoid discussion that makes you uncomfortable and to appear more knowledgeable than you are. For your information, you have created the opposite effect.

You publicly questioned a members integrity in the classifieds

Your interest in purchasing thermal imaging devices combined with everything else you have posted... Kind of speaks for itself

You are coming off as a 'know it all' that knows very little

You offer advice and opinions and do not accept it from others

You have been informed as to what is rubbing others the wrong way and seem persistent to create a rouse 

I apologize to you and the others for beating this poor horse thats been dead for some time. 
I write this (without anger or dislike for you) with the shred of hope that maybe you are just very oblivious. Try to step back and look at this objectively. Can you see why (status updating) all members on the forum that you are part way through reading about mils and at the same time rejecting an unmounted S&B for tunneling issues is annoying?

Good luck, seriously I don't mean to discredit you or make any negative judgements to your experience. I was just hoping to offer you a bit of insight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A thorn? Jeez I'm the one being attacked!</div></div>

Please. I have been around this and other boards long enough to know when a person is looking for help or just posting to cause problems. Go back and read your posts for evidnece of the latter.

You're not the victim. You're the cause.

So Gappa you never even mounted the S&B and you are complaining about the eye box?? Seriously? How the hell would that work.

I never claimed to know everything, I'm just a dumb refrigeration mechanic... I wouldn't be posting questions if I did.. Not meaning to be a troll here but I do enjoy stimulating conversation. And you are right this is no place to post my imaging work, just thought some guys would like to see something I created.

Give it a rest Gappa!! Just mount your scope, go out and shoot .

Learn as much as you can by your self, have some Fucking fun instead of this bullshit.

When you get stuck with something and can't figure it out by yourself...

Then do a Search!!! All this stuff your going through has been done to death plenty of existing information.

If that doesn't help then that seems like the right time to post a question!!

You have one of the best scopes ever made and its not rocket science to use it!!

Your Welcome

I placed my order for a RAL 8000 S&B 5-25 with H-59 reticle a little over a month ago. Should be in around Christmas

I ordered my RAL8000 with MSR reticle back in April - still waiting. The OP has bought and returned without using some pretty nice scopes, whatever I'll enjoy irons until I get my scope.

another interesting drama thread..

i would almost suggest a march scope. thats what i ended up buying after i determined i'd have to wait months to get an S&B. the price is in line with the S&Bs.

i know i would have been happy with an S&B. and im quite happy with the march 5-40x 56 which is almost as good as a spotting scope.

not having looked through an S&B, im gonna assume that the eyebox on the march, at least at higher magnification, is too small for you..

anyway, since you've done all the rest of the best, you might try a march

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when I lived in Northern VA everyone that knew me thought I was the "Beltway Sniper" FBI even came to my house and did GSR swabs on my service truck
No BS </div></div>

Are you particularly proud of being thought of as the most likely suspect in those heinous , senseless killings? It's most likely that you ran around talking shit to impress people but instead came off as being on the lunatic fringe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when I lived in Northern VA everyone that knew me thought I was the "Beltway Sniper" FBI even came to my house and did GSR swabs on my service truck
No BS</div></div>

This "Rabbit Cooker" needs to be BANNED!