• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I guess all your AR-15s are "obsolete" now. Time to start dumping your 5.56 rifles, lol

I jumped on the valkyrie train far too early, so I'll sit this one out for a while. If we can get dasher like performance out of an ar15 cartridge, I'd be happy with that.

Reactions: Doug k 042414
I jumped on the valkyrie train far too early, so I'll sit this one out for a while. If we can get dasher like performance out of an ar15 cartridge, I'd be happy with that.

I did too right out of the gate and actually set up two different ones and had phenomenal results from both. Sounds like you bought shitty components which lead to shitty results.

I did too right out of the gate and actually set up two different ones and had phenomenal results from both. Sounds like you bought shitty components which lead to shitty results.
I went through 2 wilson combat barrels and tried every factory load out there, and tried handloading with 88gr ELD-M's, 90gr SMK's, 95gr SMK's, 77gr TMK's, and some Nosler RDF's I had laying around. The lighter stuff showed some promise, but it sort of ruined the whole point of the valkyrie for me. It's not like I was expecting half MOA with penetrator pulls or any FMJ. I wouldn't say I was using shitty components in the least. I'm glad your results were better, but I and quite a few others just couldn't get that cartridge to perform.

Why is that likely to be the case?

Bolt is same basic dims as AR-15, Case Head of Grendel is larger than .223/5.56. If you run hot loads long enough there are 2 teeth than can be prone to breaking. Not as big of a problem as it used to be with more hardening on the Grendel bolts, like JP , but it could still happen if pushed hard for a prolonged period.

How far of a jump is there bwteen this and something like a 6mm BR?

WOW, talk about history repeating itself. Wasn't this the banter about the 300blk? Possibly the 260 too....

6Grendal, 6mm AR, 6mm AR Turbo, 6mm Fatrat, 6mmLBC and Hornadays previous attempt the 6mm Hagar. These have all been around for a decade. All basiclly the same shit. They work well, but I think once you get over a 95gr bullet you're outside the wheelhouse.

No way you're going to get 6BR velocity, especially with 105-109gr bullets. Not safely, but it should be a nice target and light hunting round.

I have been sidelining a 6mm upper build until one of the most 6mm comes out a clear winner. I may build one in mk12 mod0 pattern just to play around some.

WOW, talk about history repeating itself. Wasn't this the banter about the 300blk? Possibly the 260 too....
Different intentions with both of those. The BLK wasn't intended to replace existing calibers, just to do better than 5.56 in short barrels and offer a viable subsonic round that cycles in a factor configured upper. That's generally it.

Reactions: db2000
Sure, if you like broken bolts.
We just did some major moving around of things, cleared out my arms room to build a bigger one, packed all my brass into boxes, bullets in separate boxes, etc.

The weight of all my moving boxes filled with Grendel brass was substantial, to the point of sometimes having to strain.

Between all the hand loads and factory ammo I've been shooting since 2009 across every gas system length and barrel length from 22" down to 12", including shooting the 12" almost exclusively suppressed, I have yet to have this problem. Haven't broken an extractor, bolt, nothing.

I have broken 5.56 bolts shooting intense high volume, but I've never broken 5.56 bolts under 10,000 rounds. The last one was a workhorse blaster with CLGS 16" barrel, standard FSB, most of it free-floated shooting after I ditched the KAC RAS and replaced it with a floated handguard. Dropped in a new bolt after looking at the chamber and barrel extension, kept on shooting.

But you all will be the first to know when I finally crack a Grendel bolt I guess.

I started with standard AA bolts, Maxim bolts made for PF, AA hard use, and Grendel forum group buy bolts in all the ones I've built.

I also have the LaRue 18" Grendel complete rifle.

Any way we can merge these threads?

I think the 6ARC will really cut into future grendel sales and potentially 224Valkyrie, at least for new barrels, but this likely won’t hurt sales for other cartridges.

Running the numbers for drop and drift, I don’t think the 6ARC will beat out a 224Valkyrie with 80’s if both are running 22-24” barrels. A 22ARC running 88’s or 95smk’s would be real interesting.

Reactions: DrewC
Hornady marketing! Looks cool but w the world heading in a certain direction, no thanks.

Reactions: Steel head
lol, right. i was just teasing because of the .308 is obsolete topics.
the .308 is obsolete? Maybe for modern Long Range precision, but its an ideal 500yd and under round... dependable, effective, still very widely used by many nations as a battle rifle round. Ahhh the FN Fal or the HK 91..or even the PSG! Lets not discount the old Valmet 76. Today's battles are light caliber pray and spray affairs. A whole lot of wasted toxic shock just lying around long after the grass has grown over the fallen... unethical.

Reactions: holy cow
the .308 is obsolete? Maybe for modern Long Range precision, but its an ideal 500yd and under round... dependable, effective, still very widely used by many nations as a battle rifle round. Ahhh the FN Fal or the HK 91..or even the PSG! Lets not discount the old Valmet 76. Today's battles are light caliber pray and spray affairs. A whole lot of wasted toxic shock just lying around long after the grass has grown over the fallen... unethical.

.223 is not a bad 500 and under round.

.308 I call a 999 yards and in round.

1000 yrd shot with a .308 requires a bit of skill with a seriously well tuned rifle. In an 18" or 16" HBar with select fire its a great battle rifle round especially in urban areas because of its under 500 yd devastating impact. Long range precision where shot placement is king, I'd rather have a 6.5 creedmoor, .300 winmag, or .338 lapua. Even the 7.62x39 has been proven to be a battle winner. The 5.56 wins by pure round saturation. Its been a pretty good and reliable rifle round... not discounting that, but it inflicts injury then death instead of just death. The object is not to make them suffer It's to make them stop.

19E8DB7A-EEF8-40BD-93ED-353C119159DC.jpeg

The big thing about the 5.56 is its overall light weight and effective kill rate. A lousy long range weapon, but well suited for engagements. What is the upcoming replacement? A 6.5?
Another thing about the Rifle, not the round, is it was easily repaired even in the field. With a mil-spec A1 any body's parts would do. And it was really cheap and easy to produce.. hence all the AR-10s and 15s. Once they fixed the gas clogging issues that puppy ran like a Swiss sewing machine

Even though the M-14 was heavy, unwieldy and really not that accurate, I simply hated giving it up. It felt solid and gave me confidence. The M-16 (which turned out to be a much better rifle) just felt like a toy...like I was going to break it. The Mattel Marvel!😂

it’s abundantly clear that I’m either going to need more safes and space for them - or I’m going to have to stop adding guns and different calibers for every platform. It’s already difficult enough for my family to know which mag to grab for which AR....

7197B352-003F-4CEB-9156-B8D172BC65C7.jpeg

Personally, I'm a minimalist. I have my .45 duty weapon, my conceal carry .40, my 590A1 breacher, and my PSA PA65 w/ a 18" .308 upper receiver...all in my a bag.
I'm thinking about getting a wheeled golf bag to carry the ammo

I am pretty sure a stupid man, quoted those wise words form his mama.

I guess that doesn't mean a wise man didn't say it too. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Take a moment and think of how many animals an people have dropped to 308 and 223/5.56.
Are the perfect? No.
Are they effective? Oh hell yes!

Modern thinking on 6mm’s, a specialized military units request and typical Hornandy marketing their next silver bullet that is again ballistically similar a previous cartridge.

Reactions: Supersubes