• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hate decisions.

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
OK, so earlier in the week I ask about the CheyTac/EDM rifles with interest in purchasing an EDM. After thinking about it and talking with some previous owners I've decided a platform such as either of the two mentioned earlier arent exactly what would suit me best as for what I want.

I need help in a few areas here decising what to invest on.

I'll either have Bobby at Lawton build me a rifle on one of his actions, based on the caliber I settle on, or pick up an AI.

Mostly what has me a little shook up right now is caliber selection. First I wanted a .375 CT..but then thought to myself I wont shoot it as much as I want to based on ammo component costs. I've sensibly set my limit on caliber to either 338LM or 338NM, but by no means do I want to just take 338 and get to building.

I know their are cartridges out there that can hang not to far behind the 338's out to 1300 yards, no? The 7mm's? Short Mags? 6.5-47/284?
Pretty Much something capable at 7/8's of a mile, thats inherintly accurate, not rediculously expensive to reload..( and by this I mean $1.50 bullets and 140 gr. powder appetites) I want the ability to reach out there, but not feel like I'm wasting ammo if I want to shoot at close/medium range. Which I would feel like I was doing with a 338.

Ide like a decent barrel life, is 1000-1200 rounds out of the question for a hot 6.5 or 7mm?

Recoil I'm not really concerned with, but ofcourse less is nice.

Ide really like to have Bobby at Lawton build me something, or pick up an AI that just simply put, is a very rugged rifle in a very versitile caliber.

Any suggestions? If you have a caliber you think I should familurize myself with, please let me know.

Re: I hate decisions.

Sounds like a 7wsm would fit the bill. Though, if I had EDM/Cheytac money, I'd have one. Sorry I'm not much help.

Good luck in you decision.

The 375 isnt really that expensive to shoot. Yes it eats up powder but you can run the 260 grain accubonds at 3700 just for fun or dog hunting, now thats fun....

I'm saving for an AI in .308 or .300WM. Both cheap to shoot and the .300 will give you some of the extra range you are after. AG in NC

If you go with the AI .338LM, you can change barrels and shoot the .300WM with the same rifle. Both are still mangmun calibers, but cheaper than having 2 complete rifles.

If your in the Fayetteville area, Jim's Guns has AI's in stock as well as several other long rifles. Prices, well it's Jim's.
I don't shop there, but they do have a big selection.

I usually go there and check something out, and get someone to order it for me. Also swing by Grey Group Training if your in town. Great people.

Cut

Can you convert the 300WM to 338LM with the AI?

Or just the other way around?

Same action, but different barrels. Not sure on changing the bolts. I have the .338LM.

Cut

Cut, if you dont mind, can I discuss the weapon with you over PM or phone?