• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I hate Leupold's customer service

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Its built into the price of their scopes, of which I've owned about 6.

I've never had to use it.

I hate paying for things I don't use.

Been using leupold scopes for hunting for more than 20 yrs and never had any issues.
They used to replace them when the finish turned purple, not sure if they still do that or not.
Great company!

I was about to come and defend them...

Leupold has always went above and beyond whenever I've contacted them. A+ company.

Yup, I called them yesterday about a problem with a set of Olympic 10x50 binocs. Had a human on the line in about 10 seconds. And, after a quick description of the problems, I was told to send 'em in but since they discontinued that model, they would send me out a new pair of the 10x50's in the mojave.

Someone asked a question about a leupold optic on the hide here, leupold recorded a video response and posted it on youtube. I don't have the link, was earlier this year. I thought it was a good gesture, it shows that leupold is listening and wanting to participate in the community.

I've used them a few times. FedEx broke a riflescope that was shipped to me, and Leupold had it fixed and returned in about 10 days, gratis. About two weeks on the last scope sent in that had lost its nitrogen fill and was fogging up in heavy rain. Their CS seems to be pretty damn good, I'd say.

I've only had to use Leupold's customer service once and it was so long ago it went here for warranty repair/upgrade:

.... anyone else have one of these stickers on their Leupold Glass?

I recently purchased a used Leupold 12x with a broken reticle for a browning low wall .22 hornet that needed glass. I bought it knowing I'd have to contact Leupold. The whole experience went incredibly well and the scope was returned sooner than the time I was quoted. Scope is perfect again and their customer service was stellar.

I have a few other brands of scopes, but I'm not sure of the support I would get if needed. I have paperwork with short term warranties and conversations "saying" your covered. Leupold is just a phone call and a few shipments away. I know if the box has Leupold on it I'm covered.

Their customer service has generally been good for me although turnaround is a bit lengthy. As far as never having to send one back I don't buy it, I've sent back:

Brand new Leupold M3 3.5-10X - windage turret was in 1.5MOA clicks not .5MOA, elevation turret clicks were 1.2 or so MOA
Older Mark 4 4.5-14x50 - reticule canted wouldn't focus at max power - went back 2x before fixed
New 3-9 VXR Patrol - wouldn't hold zero/tracking
Various hunting scopes over the years - excusable since most have been 20+ years old and nothing lasts forever

I've also had IOR which breaks at about the same rate but the tracking and glass quality has been better on average, Bushnell Japan which don't seem to break and the tracking is usually good and Vortex PST which the tracking was off on a couple by about 10% but everything else was good to go.

YMMV

Cool Story Bro... So you make a thread to say you never used their CS...... I guess everyone should just make a seperate thread of what CS they haven't used, and snipershide would be one hell of a site.

Leupold owners who actualy run their guns, usualy get to know the CS department well, sometimes on a first name basis. Personaly, Ide rather buy something knowing my chances of having to send it back to the factory for warranty work is slim to none.

Leupold owners who actualy run their guns, usualy get to know the CS department well, sometimes on a first name basis.

By "actually run" do you mean "abuse"? I've owned and used Leupolds for the past 25 years and never managed to break one.

I own 20 Leupold scopes and two Leupold zero point bore sighters.
Most were used and cost between $100 and $1000.
I like the Leupold light weight and reliability.

I made a cantilever scope mount for a Mosin Nagant, and is shook the reticle out of an old used vari x ii 2x7.

I sent to to Leupold, and they sent me a new VX-1 2x7.

I put a stoney point target knob on it.

I put that on a pre 64 Win M70 that I rebarreled to 270 and shot 9 deer between 2008 and 2009, mostly between 400 and 500 yards.

In 2010 I shot 4 deer with a Leupold 1.75x6.5 scope with a Stoney point knob.
In 2011 I shot 2 with a Kahles scope
In 2012 I shot 4 deer with an old 2x7 Leupold scope with a Stoney Point knob.
In 2013 I shot 1 deer with a 3.5x10 Leupold scope with glow in the dark tape marked with a sharpie and wrapped around the CDS turret.

Buck2013436meterss7mmRemMag.jpg

Nice work - expected some drama....

I've used Leupold scopes all my life...Mk4 scopes for the last 8 years. Never had an issue and continue to use them. I also appreciate the support they give the Fed/Mil community.

I have used Leupold products in the passed and I ave a good amount of respect for their products. Unfortunately, To my recollection, every Leupold optic I have owned has had to make a trip to Oregon at one point or another. To be fair, one of them went in for modifications, not warranty related repairs. And I'm really hard on my kit.

Customer service wise, I have had a couple lengthy waits but most of the time it's not too bad. Their guys know their product line which is extensive and that is no small feat. They are polite, courteous, and very helpful. Most of the time if I have to call a companies customer service I cringe, but this has not been the case with my leupy's.

Cool Story Bro... So you make a thread to say you never used their CS...... I guess everyone should just make a seperate thread of what CS they haven't used, and snipershide would be one hell of a site.

Leupold owners who actualy run their guns, usualy get to know the CS department well, sometimes on a first name basis. Personaly, Ide rather buy something knowing my chances of having to send it back to the factory for warranty work is slim to none.

Actually, hostile, arrogant attitudes like yours are more likely to degrade the site than honest first person actual experiences like I've presented here.

And that's why I buy Leupold - I know the probability of having to send them back for warranty work is (in my first person actual experience) "none." (thus far anyway)

Do you have any actual first hand personal experience with a Leupy you have actually bought brand new? If so, do tell. Along with how an "operator" like you "runs" his guns.

Last edited:

What ever man...I see you are still just as bitter as every other thread I have read with you commenting in. Get a fucking life.

Actually, hostile, arrogant attitudes like yours are more likely to degrade the site than honest first person actual experiences like I've presented here.

And that's why I buy Leupold - I know the probability of having to send them back for warranty work is (in my first person actual experience) "none." (thus far anyway)

Do you have any actual first hand personal experience with a Leupy you have actually bought brand new? If so, do tell. Along with how an "operator" like you "runs" his guns.

Actually, If you don't like honest opinions and peoples experince's, then why are you even here?

Oh wait, You must be right.... No one has EVER had to use leupolds warranty service, beacuse they are fantastic, never break, have tracking issues,ect. Shit, Maybe they should just canncel their warranties since they are uneeded.

Thank fucking god you don't do anything important or have peoples lives/livelyhood at stake with whatever you do. Let me give you some advice sunshine, The statistical signifigance of your experince compared to the millions of owners of this brand of optics is WORTHLESS. Say 10% of their products shit the bed... That would be a pretty poor QC level in most industries, and would bankrupt most companies. You would on avg, have to buy 10 products to find 1 defect. So you can buy 9 products, or 50 products and never have a defect. You could buy 5 products, and every one of them be defective. So do us all a favor, and don't use the terms probability or any stastical termonology unless you understand. Your quasi scientific assement does not work in your warped world outside of reality (Your probability... LOL).

VX-2, Shit the bed and would not track. Sent it in, and when I got back sold it.
VX-3, Pre MK4 , 3.5-10 MD/Turrets.... Could not get to zero with a 20MOA rail, erector jacked up.......... Sent it and it was replaced, Sold it
VX-1 currently on a hunting rifle.. Wont pass box test with .308.... Still shoots 3MOA with hunting ammo on my M70, More than enough for 100 yard max shots where I hunt in WV... Too lazy to replace/send it in..

So they we go 3 products from Leupold, and 3 that are defective. With that being said. I am looking at grabing both a 3-18 MK6 and a 1- MK6 to give them a try at the .mil rates. If they fail/fuck up like the ones I owned, have shoot around, have seen in the mil (10X M3's, 2.5-8, 3.5-10, 4-14 M1's).... I will send them back to factory, get fixed/replaced... and dump them on the For Sale section, and replace with something that Will work the first time.

So what thread are you going to make next? The one about how your ONE Atlas bipod is not defective, so they should canncel their warranty? I also look forward to your post on how your Triad Rear bag is also not defective and whatever useless dribble you decide to waste space on this board with.

Last edited:
You sound like a generally unhappy person. That's something NO warranty covers.

Last edited:

Once in a blue moon I go shooting with a group of guys and one of them runs that scope. His has already broken something about how the elevation turret works...no longer works. I like leupold scopes especially the M3 models, the BDC dial and lightweight of the scope is really nice but they just don't seem to have the same quality of japanese or european scopes.

Called and requested a BDC dial for a Mark4 M3 scope for use with .300 win mag. Received a bag full of dials for every known military caliber and bullet weight imaginable. No charge. That was 10 years ago and nothing has changed since. Only scopes I own that track correct MOA.

Last edited:
You sound like a generally unhappy person. That's something NO warranty covers.

The only thing that makes me unhappy, is having to deal with idiots and useless people like you on a daily basis.

Other than that, I am Fantastic.

Once again, you ignore the substance of the discussion to go off on your little tangent about how a post makes you feel. Nut the fuck up and be a man.... If words make you so upset, then maybe the internet is not the right venue for you.

Once in a blue moon I go shooting with a group of guys and one of them runs that scope. His has already broken something about how the elevation turret works...no longer works. I like leupold scopes especially the M3 models, the BDC dial and lightweight of the scope is really nice but they just don't seem to have the same quality of japanese or european scopes.

Yea I feel the same way. One of my big beefs with them is the price/value of their products. They really are overpriced compared to the majority of the competion, and took them eons to update their products. While the MK6 and MK8 are nice additions, they may be a little late to the game, at too high of a price.

The only thing they really have going for them IMO, is weight. They really do put out some lightweight optics realitive to the competition. Maybe that is part of the reason their quality and features are generally lacking. I am still going to give the MK6 a shot on my SCAR17, I want to keep it light and agile. Time will tell, and I have a hunch, that I will end up selling the mk6 for a Bushy 1-8.5 in BTR-2. I will try my best to keep an open mind and try to approach it as an unbias user.

Yea I feel the same way. One of my big beefs with them is the price/value of their products. They really are overpriced compared to the majority of the competion, and took them eons to update their products. While the MK6 and MK8 are nice additions, they may be a little late to the game, at too high of a price.

The only thing they really have going for them IMO, is weight. They really do put out some lightweight optics realitive to the competition. Maybe that is part of the reason their quality and features are generally lacking. I am still going to give the MK6 a shot on my SCAR17, I want to keep it light and agile. Time will tell, and I have a hunch, that I will end up selling the mk6 for a Bushy 1-8.5 in BTR-2. I will try my best to keep an open mind and try to approach it as an unbias user.

Are you taking your "reasonable" meds now? A much more balanced objective tone.

I find myself in the middle of the road here, I've had a few MKIV's, and they were all perfect, never had an issue with them. Ran them hard, never abused, but rocked them hard, very good scopes. Only have one left, and dont know for how long.

BUT, their current models are way over priced for what I see. So unless they bring their prices down, my money will go elsewhere. A shame I know, because I'd love to support them.

I agree that one of the biggest selling points of Leupold was their pricing. With the numbers bumping the "higher cost" scopes, only makes sense to spend a a little more for a lot more scope. As for the new Mk8, yikes! Blew right on by a NF and kept on going.

Last edited:
Leupold finally made it right for me on a Vari-X III I sent them. Sent it in for glass warranty, and added target turrets, got it back in 3 weeks.... Looked great, nice clear glass all around, but the elevation only gave me 11-12" per rotation, not 15". After another 2 months of waiting, it shows up at my door fixed right. They got it right, just not the first go around, and not very fast...

Leupold glass has always been shit. Still is on the MK4. Vortex has better glass, at a lower price in their PST line, along with features like FFP and a better Mil reticle. Same lifetime warranty. Granted the mk6/mk8 has better glass, but its taken them how many years to come up with a improvement on the VARIX-3 TACTICAL/MK4?

Kind of a no brainer.

Leupold glass has always been shit.

Really? I think what we perceive as glass quality has a lot to do with personal preference. I like the image quality from my Leupold VX-3s and VX-6s every bit as much as my Nightforce scopes. I'm not comparing the other features, just the clarity.

Really? I think what we perceive as glass quality has a lot to do with personal preference. I like the image quality from my Leupold VX-3s and VX-6s every bit as much as my Nightforce scopes. .

Yup. Every eyeball is different. And therefore obviously perceives "clarity" differently.

But even obvious facts can be lost on those with belligerent attitudes.

Leupold glass has always been shit. Still is on the MK4. Vortex has better glass, at a lower price in their PST line, along with features like FFP and a better Mil reticle. Same lifetime warranty. Granted the mk6/mk8 has better glass, but its taken them how many years to come up with a improvement on the VARIX-3 TACTICAL/MK4?

Kind of a no brainer.

agreed. for the money vortex is the better option and just as good of a warranty

sorry about the double post

I bought a couple of "new" model MK4s through their mil program 18 months ago and they are both fantastic. Not sure what they did with their glass on their latest models but they are extremely clear. Much clearer than older Leupolds I have dealt with and head and shoulders above the Vortex PST I replaced with the MK4. No issues here.

Speaking as a dinosaur, I've been using one of the old Vari-X III tactical models (precursor to the Mark IV line) for 15 years or so. I've always been happy with the glass quality and the general performance of that scope. In the last year or so I've purchased a couple of new Mark IV's and they seem to be just as good as the old Vari-X III. All I can say is my experience with tactical Leupy's has been very good.

HRF

As some wise man once said, "the best customer service is the one you never use".

That being said, this thread has the stink of troll bait all over it.

As some wise man once said, "the best customer service is the one you never use".

That being said, this thread has the stink of troll bait all over it.

I agree with you but still even the best made, highest quality stuff can break but it just has a much lower failure rate.. Not only that but most companies now days have a wide range of quality (and price tags) and the people that are willing to spend the extra cash usually dont have to use the CS. People have a problem with buying $500 scopes and expecting them to perform like $2K scopes and thats just unrealistic. I wouldnt expect the PST to have the same built quality as the Razor Gen II and I also would expect the Leupold VX-4 to have the same failure rate as the VX-1. So, the amount of money you are willing to dish out will determine your statistical probability of meeting with their CS department somewhere down the road and some people just cant afford to buy the higher quality stuff. With that said, I have owned a couple of leupolds mid range quality scopes and never had a problem with any of them so I guess I am lucky!

...If words make you so upset, then maybe the internet is not the right venue for you.

This may be the funniest thing I've ever read coming from the guy who prances around dropping turds in everybody's threads. If their words make you so upset, then maybe the internet is not the right venue for YOU.