• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I hate my scope....change my mind!

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I made a trade with my brother because I needed an optic with an H59 reticle. The scope in question is a Leupold Mk6 3-18X44 Mil with B2 turrets.

I can get past the turrets....being mushy, but the eye box and CA is atrocious! At 40 years of age, I began thinking that my eyesight was diminishing.....until I got back behind another rifle with S&B glass.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, the target image is never clear regardless, of parallax or eye location adjustment.

Have any of you fellas found a way to get this particular scope to work for you, or have y’all given up on this Leupold offering as well.

Thanks!

BCA16832-EC82-4DD8-8E72-888E27736241.jpeg

Sounds like the scope needs to go back to Leupold. People give Leupold a lot of shit but optical clarity is not one of them. To me, Leupold has some of the best glass out there.

I made a trade with my brother because I needed an optic with an H59 reticle. The scope in question is a Leupold Mk6 3-18X44 Mil with B2 turrets.

I can get past the turrets....being mushy, but the eye box and CA is atrocious! At 40 years of age, I began thinking that my eyesight was diminishing.....until I got back behind another rifle with S&B glass.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, the target image is never clear regardless, of parallax or eye location adjustment.

Have any of you fellas found a way to get this particular scope to work for you, or have y’all given up on this Leupold offering as well.

Thanks!

View attachment 7537220

I don't know shit about your scope but your rifle is sweetness.

Details?

I was going to change your mind.... but you're right! You hate your scope!

good luck figuring it out. Sucks to have something you've invested so much in, only to dislike it.

Guessing it would sell quickly on the PX.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    I’ve got a bunch of those and really haven’t had a ton of complaints. I like the Mark 5 better but I’m not in a hurry to get rid of any Mark 6s. Definitely don’t notice severe eye box issues.

The glass is kind of meh...they made that scope for a mil requirement and compromises were made. That said, I don't think it probably inhibits the ability to get hits.

Last edited:
    Many of us who have been shooting for a few decades have had to go through the same thing: does Leupold suck. And many, MANY of us have arrived at the conclusion that Leupold does indeed suck.

That said, I haven't owned a Leupold in about 20 years and only use them when I have to. And, even with the limited exposure to their products, I have still experienced Leupold scope failures.

So, all that to say I won't be changing your mind, sell that and go with a better option.

Sounds like the scope needs to go back to Leupold. People give Leupold a lot of shit but optical clarity is not one of them. To me, Leupold has some of the best glass out there.
    I have five leupold Mk4 scopes, and have zero issues with them.
    After getting the scope from my brother and using it; I have been doing some research on the Mark6 3-18’s. I’m seeing that many of shooters here have been disappointed with the glass quality of this particular model.....many calling if a failed model. I do know that Leupold has discontinued the model.

Sucks....really like the scope for it’s specs. Should be a home run optic.....but the shooter has to be perfect, I mean perfectly centered in the eye box, and the CA is still visible. 😞

I’ve thought for a very long time that the only thing Leupold did consistently was produce scopes with a shit ton of CA. They’ve flat out got that one mastered. The MK6’s I had were no different. My issue with that scope is all of mine went back for tracking issues. Probably not an issue if you need the H59.

The MK5 seems to get some love around here

The other Leupold models seem to have issues. From turrets to glass to tracking issues

I see no reason to change your mind. Cause overall they suck

You could sell in the px section and some Leupold fan boy will suck it up. Then buy something better

I would check with Leupold. There is no harm in it. When I tested the Mark6, I did not love the glass, but it was perfectly serviceable (although I like the Mark5 more). I strongly disliked the B turrets. C turrets are much better.

ILya

in general, my experience with Leupold has been less than satisfactory.. the only Leu I have had that has been up to spec is the EFR I have on my 513-T .22lr... of the balance the main issue for me was the turret definition... never a clear tactile feel to the rotation... you had to pay attention to detect any "click" whatsoever.. I moved to S&B and have never looked back

Somewhat reluctant to suggest this as you've probably looked into this possibility at the git go--and I surely don't mean to offend. When I read the OP's first it reminded me of an issue I've had, well, shamefully, more than once. It was solved when I checked and learned that I needed to redo the diopter setting. For me if that's not where it should be it messes up eye relief, the sight box, and if it's really off of course the reticle and even the target. Our eyes do change, especially when cataracts are existent--and then corrected. Diabetes--which I'm fortunate not to have--can alter one's eyesight more than once per year.

My VX5 has remarkably clear glass and tracks great. And all of my MK4s are GTG as well. Never had a problem with any of my Leupold stuff.