• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hate reloading the .416 Rem mag!

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Just ranting, nothing really useful in this post....

Doing a favor for a guy and loading up more .416 remington mag ammo for him. He gave me the dies and shell holder, brass and bullets and all I had to do was load 'em up. Fortunately I had some large rifle mag primers lying around or he would be SOL.

Anyway, these things SUCK to reload. The case necks seem way to thin and frail for the size of the bullet and unless you lube the bullet and heavily chamifer (sp?) after trimming the it tends to push the neck down when seating ruining the round. Some of the loads in the manual cause the cases to bulge at even 10% under max to the point they won't chamber (very obvious after I seated the 1st bullet on that powder charge).

The bullets themselves (barns) are squatty and tend to stick in the seating die causing them to seat at slightly random depths so you've got to lube the tops of the bullets too... and then you've got to clean the lube out of the seater frequently.

I posted before about getting a stuck case when sizing these things and to prevent a repeat I'm hand lubing each case with Imperial and it's still a nerve wracking experience working the brass. 50 BMG sizes easier than this crap especially on fired cases.

OK, I'm done ranting and fortunately I've finished off all the bullets he gave me so it will be a bit before I have to revisit this evil caliber again.

25 more rounds and I'm out of mag primers anyway and good luck with him trying to track more of those down in small quantity.
smile.gif

Re: I hate reloading the .416 Rem mag!

Flat based bullet and a relatively long neck or straight walled case IIRC?

If you can get ahold of one, try running the cases into a 41 mag or 10mm auto flare die to get a little flare on the mouth first. I had to do that for 45-70 with solids that had a sharp base.

It's annoying as can be, I understand. Is he going to let you shoot a few of them for your annoyance?

Yes, some of those are bad like that. When you size, and you running the expander ball back through the neck? On cases that are very tight in the neck, I'll run the case back over the expander ball twice. And like you said, give a very generous inside chamfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flat based bullet and a relatively long neck or straight walled case IIRC?</div></div>

Yea, it's a flat based 400gr bullet, doesn't look like much on top but it goes in there a long way. 416 between .308 and 50bmg samples.

416_comparison.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you can get ahold of one, try running the cases into a 41 mag or 10mm auto flare die to get a little flare on the mouth first. I had to do that for 45-70 with solids that had a sharp base.
</div></div>

I've got a .40/10mm die set, some flair is easy to do. The neck brass seems so thin though, wonder how it will hold up to a few reloads that way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is he going to let you shoot a few of them for your annoyance? </div></div>

Yea, he offered that but watching him get blown around by that 4lb safari rifle thing... I'll pass on that. Plus each one I shoot is another I gotta reload! I just want him to take me pig hunting again.
smile.gif

A small bit of flair is going to be OK. You might have to anneal slightly sooner, I'm talking a TINY amount of flair.

I don't blame you on the recoil that thing must have...

Try polishing the inside of the necks with #0000 steel wool and a drill, and check for some kind of sealant residue inside, then lube the inside of the neck, as well as the outside of the case before resizing/expanding. You can then still lube the bullets and inside case neck with the wax after charging and before seating with a Q-tip, if needed.

Barnes bullets are waaaaaay long for their weight. They take up a lot of powder room. You don't want to compress powder on a DG round, and as case capacity on the Rem is right on the edge, powder choice is very critical. (Same with the 458 Win that is a tiny case for the bore diameter.)

Pick a different powder, or a lighter bullet that will be shorter. With the Barnes bullets, the lighter bullets traveling faster are more effective anyway. The 350X is good to go. I will stick with the Hodgdon Extreme powder in the SC form on a rifle going into the tropical heat.

TC

At least it is belted so a little neck bend will not kill you. All in all it was not designed to be a 500 yard cartridge anyways. I would take a hot breech locked 45/70 anyways

Jayne ......

The crimping problem you mentioned is <span style="font-weight: bold">very common </span>with "thin" necked rifle cases like the 30-30, 416 Rem Mag and the 458 Win Mag. The best way to crimp them properly (without necks getting buggered up) is to use the Lee collet crimp die. This is <span style="text-decoration: underline">the</span> perfect solution.

It seems that every one of the reloading companies has at least one product that is far better than anything else available. This is one of the very best products by Lee.

- Innovative

His 416 weighs 4 pounds? Mine weighs 9 and it is the hardest kicking gun on the planet as near as I can tell. I put Vais break on mine and it is the only gun I have ever seen that a Vais does not seem to help. I just shoot it on my lead sled now. P.S The Barnes bullets don't shoot in my gun. Jeff

The 416 Remington has been a problem child since day one. It is disliked in Africa due to pressure issues (hot ammo in the sun) and is IMO another 458 Winchester (trying to get too much from a small case). The 416 Rigby and the new 400 Holland & Holland both will do the same job with far lower pressures and the 400 H&H has the typical H&H attention to smooth feeding under exciting circumstances. Yes I am biased, I have been beaten by a stock 700 416 Rem whereas my custom 400 H&H is a pussycat.
DSCN1124.jpg

244, 300, 375 & 400 H&Hs all.

HHs.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 416 Remington has been a problem child since day one. It is disliked in Africa due to pressure issues (hot ammo in the sun) and is IMO another 458 Winchester (trying to get too much from a small case). The 416 Rigby and the new 400 Holland & Holland both will do the same job with far lower pressures and the 400 H&H has the typical H&H attention to smooth feeding under exciting circumstances. Yes I am biased, I have been beaten by a stock 700 416 Rem whereas my custom 400 H&H is a pussycat.
DSCN1124.jpg

244, 300, 375 & 400 H&Hs all.

HHs.jpg
</div></div>

Please Please give us the details from the African safaris you have been on. How many head of game did you shoot with the .416 Rem?

Apparently you can read? Subscribe to African Hunter magazine and see what the PHs have to say about it. Try and find any who use it.

Here's what Chuck hawks says: (of course he knows nothing too)

".416 Remington Magnum

Remington became interested in a .416 cartridge with a standard magnum rim diameter that could equal the performance of the outsized .416 Rigby for use in their Model 700 rifle. The .416 Remington Magnum was the result.

Because it is based on a smaller case than the .416 Rigby, the .416 Remington has to operate at higher pressure to deliver the same performance. This high pressure has caused trouble in the severe heat often encountered in Africa. For this reason it is probably wise to load to lower pressure if an African safari is planned with a .416 Rem. Mag. rifle. Maximum loads should be reserved for use in cool climates.

A-Square offers three factory loads for the .416 Rem. Mag., while Federal and Remington each offer one factory load. The latter uses a Swift A-Frame PSP bullet at a MV of 2,400 fps and a ME of 5,115 ft. lbs. The 100 yard figures are 2,175 fps and 4,201 ft. lbs.

Here are some .416 Remington Magnum specifications of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .416", maxmum COL 3.600", maximum case length 2.850", trim to 2.840".

Any Shot You Want shows that 72.0 grains of H4895 powder can drive a 400 grain A-Square bullet to a MV of 2251 fps, and 76.0 grains of H4895 can drive the same bullet to a MV of 2403 fps. The MAP of the latter load was 56,600 psi. These loads used A-Square brass and CCI-250 primers, and were tested in a 26" barrel."

DID YOU SEE THE PART ABOUT HIGH PRESSURE?

Do you really think Remington knows more about designing cartridges for Africa & India than Rigby and Holland & Holland?

I've never shot a damned thing with a 416 Remington. It's a nasty, fast comeback, hard kicker just the RUMs, especially in a standard 700 platform. It's a silly cartridge, only existing because Remington apparently could not stand to chamber for the 458 Lott. Kinda like Ruger's new 375, that has no reason on earth to exist as the 375 H&H (properly handloaded) will do anything it will with powder we "plain folks" can actually buy.
Oh yeah, "short stroking" LMFAO! If you don't know how to run a bolt gun, you a'int been trained. As I was taught (shooting rapid fire with an 03')" Operate the action as if your objective is to pull the bolt out of the rifle (opening) and push it through the front sight (closing).
Too many people running bolt guns like they are at a bench rest rather than trying to kill the big animal with teeth, claws and/or hooves before it gets to you.

Now if you want to pay for me to go to Africa, I'll get a proper Magnum Mauser or Model 70 made up in 400 H&H (no I would never trust a push feed action with a tiny little spring steel extractor) and give you a full report on how well it worked.
Did you note that the 400 H&H gets the same performance with lower pressure?

Here's what (that idiot) Chuck says about it:

"The new .400 Holland & Holland Magnum cartridge is a big bore cartridge intended to work in a conventional (.375 H&H) full length magnum action while avoiding the problems of the .416 Remington Magnum. (Excessive pressure, probably heat induced, is the suspected culprit in the case of the .416 Rem.) Unlike the .416 Rigby, the new .400 H&H is based on the .375 H&H case and does not require an oversize action.

Holland & Holland seek to avoid these problems with their new .400. The .400 H&H will be loaded to moderate pressure and uses a slightly tapered case with sloping shoulders for maximum feed reliability in bolt action rifles. This is a cartridge designed for 100% reliability in African climates and its intended use is against large, dangerous animals. It is also intended to generate moderate recoil and muzzle blast without the necessity for barrel porting or muzzle brakes.

Specifications of interest to reloaders include a standard magnum rim diameter of .532". Overall case length is 2.85" (the same as the .375 case), and the cartridge overall length is 3.50". Bullet diameter is .411" and factory loaded bullets are to be supplied by Woodleigh of Australia. These will be the same 400 grain Premium solid and Weldcore soft point bullets sold to reloaders and used in .450/400 NE factory loads.

In addition, Hornady offers a 300 grain .411" Interlock bullet to reloaders. This bullet is intended for the .405 Winchester, and with moderate reloads it should be quite suitable for North American CXP3 game in the .400 H&H. And one could probably use .410" jacketed pistol bullets intended for the .41 Magnum revolver cartridge for low velocity, low recoil practice loads.

I have yet to see any reloading data for the .400 H&H, but I suspect that medium burning rate rifle powders such as H335, H4895, RL-12, and IMR 4895 might be a reasonable place to start.

Holland & Holland factory load ballistics call for a 400 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2375 fps and ME of 5011 ft. lbs. At 100 yards the figures are 2157 fps and 4125 ft. lbs. These numbers are for a rifle with a 24" barrel.

Factory trajectory tables computed for a rifle with a telescopic sight mounted 1.5" over the bore show that if a .400 H&H rifle is zeroed at 175 yards, the bullet will deviate no more than 2" above or below the line of sight from the muzzle to 200 yards. A maximum point blank range (+/- 2") of 200 yards is more than satisfactory for a dangerous game rifle.

Holland reports that the pressure is modest and accuracy excellent (but provided no exact figures) with prototype cartridges. The proof will be what happens in the field, but the new .400 H&H looks like a winner."

NOTE, THE SECOND REFERENCE TO HIGH PRESSURE IN THE 416 REMINGTON.

You got the money? I got the time.

Maybe you'll buy me one of these too......

http://www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/982424245016.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently you can read? Subscribe to African Hunter magazine and see what the PHs have to say about it. Try and find any who use it.

Here's what Chuck hawks says: (of course he knows nothing too)

".416 Remington Magnum

Remington became interested in a .416 cartridge with a standard magnum rim diameter that could equal the performance of the outsized .416 Rigby for use in their Model 700 rifle. The .416 Remington Magnum was the result.

Because it is based on a smaller case than the .416 Rigby, the .416 Remington has to operate at higher pressure to deliver the same performance. This high pressure has caused trouble in the severe heat often encountered in Africa. For this reason it is probably wise to load to lower pressure if an African safari is planned with a .416 Rem. Mag. rifle. Maximum loads should be reserved for use in cool climates.

A-Square offers three factory loads for the .416 Rem. Mag., while Federal and Remington each offer one factory load. The latter uses a Swift A-Frame PSP bullet at a MV of 2,400 fps and a ME of 5,115 ft. lbs. The 100 yard figures are 2,175 fps and 4,201 ft. lbs.

Here are some .416 Remington Magnum specifications of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .416", maxmum COL 3.600", maximum case length 2.850", trim to 2.840".

Any Shot You Want shows that 72.0 grains of H4895 powder can drive a 400 grain A-Square bullet to a MV of 2251 fps, and 76.0 grains of H4895 can drive the same bullet to a MV of 2403 fps. The MAP of the latter load was 56,600 psi. These loads used A-Square brass and CCI-250 primers, and were tested in a 26" barrel."

DID YOU SEE THE PART ABOUT HIGH PRESSURE?

Do you really think Remington knows more about designing cartridges for Africa & India than Rigby and Holland & Holland?

I've never shot a damned thing with a 416 Remington. It's a nasty, fast comeback, hard kicker just the RUMs, especially in a standard 700 platform. It's a silly cartridge, only existing because Remington apparently could not stand to chamber for the 458 Lott. Kinda like Ruger's new 375, that has no reason on earth to exist as the 375 H&H (properly handloaded) will do anything it will with powder we "plain folks" can actually buy.
Oh yeah, "short stroking" LMFAO! If you don't know how to run a bolt gun, you a'int been trained. As I was taught (shooting rapid fire with an 03')" Operate the action as if your objective is to pull the bolt out of the rifle (opening) and push it through the front sight (closing).
Too many people running bolt guns like they are at a bench rest rather than trying to kill the big animal with teeth, claws and/or hooves before it gets to you.

Now if you want to pay for me to go to Africa, I'll get a proper Magnum Mauser or Model 70 made up in 400 H&H (no I would never trust a push feed action with a tiny little spring steel extractor) and give you a full report on how well it worked.
Did you note that the 400 H&H gets the same performance with lower pressure?

Here's what (that idiot) Chuck says about it:

"The new .400 Holland & Holland Magnum cartridge is a big bore cartridge intended to work in a conventional (.375 H&H) full length magnum action while avoiding the problems of the .416 Remington Magnum. (Excessive pressure, probably heat induced, is the suspected culprit in the case of the .416 Rem.) Unlike the .416 Rigby, the new .400 H&H is based on the .375 H&H case and does not require an oversize action.

Holland & Holland seek to avoid these problems with their new .400. The .400 H&H will be loaded to moderate pressure and uses a slightly tapered case with sloping shoulders for maximum feed reliability in bolt action rifles. This is a cartridge designed for 100% reliability in African climates and its intended use is against large, dangerous animals. It is also intended to generate moderate recoil and muzzle blast without the necessity for barrel porting or muzzle brakes.

Specifications of interest to reloaders include a standard magnum rim diameter of .532". Overall case length is 2.85" (the same as the .375 case), and the cartridge overall length is 3.50". Bullet diameter is .411" and factory loaded bullets are to be supplied by Woodleigh of Australia. These will be the same 400 grain Premium solid and Weldcore soft point bullets sold to reloaders and used in .450/400 NE factory loads.

In addition, Hornady offers a 300 grain .411" Interlock bullet to reloaders. This bullet is intended for the .405 Winchester, and with moderate reloads it should be quite suitable for North American CXP3 game in the .400 H&H. And one could probably use .410" jacketed pistol bullets intended for the .41 Magnum revolver cartridge for low velocity, low recoil practice loads.

I have yet to see any reloading data for the .400 H&H, but I suspect that medium burning rate rifle powders such as H335, H4895, RL-12, and IMR 4895 might be a reasonable place to start.

Holland & Holland factory load ballistics call for a 400 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2375 fps and ME of 5011 ft. lbs. At 100 yards the figures are 2157 fps and 4125 ft. lbs. These numbers are for a rifle with a 24" barrel.

Factory trajectory tables computed for a rifle with a telescopic sight mounted 1.5" over the bore show that if a .400 H&H rifle is zeroed at 175 yards, the bullet will deviate no more than 2" above or below the line of sight from the muzzle to 200 yards. A maximum point blank range (+/- 2") of 200 yards is more than satisfactory for a dangerous game rifle.

Holland reports that the pressure is modest and accuracy excellent (but provided no exact figures) with prototype cartridges. The proof will be what happens in the field, but the new .400 H&H looks like a winner."

NOTE, THE SECOND REFERENCE TO HIGH PRESSURE IN THE 416 REMINGTON.

You got the money? I got the time.

Maybe you'll buy me one of these too......

http://www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/982424245016.htm </div></div>

As I suspected, no direct experience on the subject. By the was the original thread was about reloading, not PH's or Africa. Nice try on trying to mooch a trip....LOL

My, my, we just have to stay ON THE SUBJECT when the correct answers don't suit our predispositions.

The bullets, BTW are Barnes not "barns" and while I have never tried the 416s, I have loaded almost every caliber and they always kill and are very accurate. Most PHs tell their clients to use TSXs or Barnes Solids for Buffs because they always work. But, again, you'ld have to read African Hunter to know that.....

barnesbullets.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most PHs tell their clients to use TSXs or Barnes Solids for Buffs because <span style="color: #FF0000">they always work</span>.</div></div>

Except when they dont....

bullets009.jpg

bullets008.jpg

Kill enough shit and you will find that anything can fail including "Barnes"...

Read enough books and you will become a "Legend" in your own mind...

Before you start spewing bullshit out of your Cock Holster... this was a factory loaded
round not a reloaded round....
It was pulled out of the neck of a cow Elk... Not a fucking dirt bank like a
pic I happen to see over and over...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kill enough shit and you will find that anything can fail including "Barnes"...</div></div>

+1 on that....

Here's another fine example of a Barnes, this one is a .308" 168 gr TSX fired from a 300WSM recovered from a Canadian whitetail.

Barnes168TSX.jpg

Sounds like both examples here worked, you recovered the bullet so the animal obviously died, and hell they retained what looks like 95% plus of their original weight. I would say its a win win situation.
grin.gif

Poke, right on.... wonder how they recovered the bullet without recovering the animal? LMFAO X 10!!!! Looking at those bullets, betcha a dollar to a dime that they were shot at extended range (we all know you can't kill an Elk at less than 500 yards) and were going so slow they failed to open. I killed an Elk @ 250 yards in 07' with my 400 Whelen and a 350 X. Now it only starts at 2000 fps, so it too failed to expand much. But when you poke a .411 hole through both lungs of an elk (no bones hit) they still die very quickly.

Fact STILL is that PHs suggest Barnes for the big nasties, if these "experts" could afford to subscribe to African Hunter they might even learn something from people who don't shoot Cow Elk on control permits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like both examples here worked, you recovered the bullet so the animal obviously died, and hell they retained what looks like 95% plus of their original weight. I would say its a win win situation.
grin.gif
</div></div>
WIN/WIN???? You buy a product that is advertised as "THEE" hunting bullet and it penetrates 3 inches of flesh and stops
after impacting the fragile neck bones of an animal... Sounds like Barnes should throw in a pack a Kool-aid with a box
of ammo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poke, right on.... wonder how they recovered the bullet without recovering the animal? LMFAO X 10!!!! Looking at those bullets, betcha a dollar to a dime that they were shot at extended range (we all know you can't kill an Elk at less than 500 yards) and were going so slow they failed to open.

Fact STILL is that PHs suggest Barnes for the big nasties, if these "experts" could afford to subscribe to African Hunter they might even learn something from people who don't shoot Cow Elk on control permits. </div></div>

Wrong again Turbo... The elk was shot at 322 yards and by the estimation from "Barnes" the bullet was
traveling at a little over 2100 fps... More than enough velocity to expand...

The elk did go down but was shot with a pistol at close range as all the bullet did was break her neck...
A shot anywhere else with this particular round would have lead to a wounded animal IMHO...

Now Mumble ...Please astound us with all your first hand experience with "Hunting the Big Nasties" of Africa...
Not the bullshit you read out of the African Hunter Rag but with your real life experience's and close calls
in the "Bush"... I doubt you have much to give us in that aspect....

Unlike you I choose to speak from real world experience and not live my life vicariously through the Hunting Rags
and the expierences of others...

Now quickly run to the book shelf...Grab a good book and think out your next post wisely... Hang one or two of the same
old pics that you've plastered all over the "Hide" and Awe us with your plethora of outdated and useless information...

We await anxiously....

BTW Mumble.... Since you like to read so much... Here is an interesting read for you... Barnes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at those bullets, betcha a dollar to a dime that they were shot at extended range (we all know you can't kill an Elk at less than 500 yards) and were going so slow they failed to open. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">WRONG </span>, that particular bullet was fired at a distance of 106 yards from my 300wsm handload. The shot was a head on frontal through the brisket and was recovered in the left rear hindquarter. Did the shot kill the deer?...yes it went through the heart, did the the bullet expand into the pretty mushroom Barnes claim?.....certainly not! and it confirms my thoughts of them "penciling " through. This is my real world experience, your milage will vary ................

So, Jayne (nice handle btw, I'm assuming you're getting that from Firefly?)

Did you end up getting them loaded up? I'm curious to see if the flare worked on this case as it has for other things for me.

Time to bid farewell to the homeboy in the hoodie and deal with those whose I.Q. exceeds their number of digits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My, my, we just have to stay ON THE SUBJECT when the correct answers don't suit our predispositions.

The bullets, BTW are Barnes not "barns" and while I have never tried the 416s, I have loaded almost every caliber and they always kill and are very accurate. Most PHs tell their clients to use TSXs or Barnes Solids for Buffs because they always work. But, again, you'ld have to read African Hunter to know that.....

barnesbullets.jpg
</div></div>

You load almost every other caliber (but 416 Rem) and they always kill and are very accurate. That's a lot of calibers and defies physics that all are accurate. You must have killed hundreds, if not thousands of game animals. Please post some pictures. Some of all the calibers, except 416, which you reload and some of the dead animals you always kill with these reloads....LOL

By the way, the subject is still the difficulty loading the 416 Remington, which you don't have or load for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to bid farewell to the homeboy in the hoodie and deal with those whose I.Q. exceeds their number of digits. </div></div>

Lets see how did you phrase it... LMFAO X 10!!!!

Thats what I thought Mumble... Everytime someone calls you on your bullshit you
run to a new thread and post your same antiquated information...

Typical for you...

See you around Larry... I'm sure...

Back to reloading of the .416 ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, Jayne (nice handle btw, I'm assuming you're getting that from Firefly?)</div></div>

Of course it's Firefly! Who couldn't love Jayne?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you end up getting them loaded up? I'm curious to see if the flare worked on this case as it has for other things for me. </div></div>

I actually ran out of bullets before I made the post so I couldn't try it but I will next time around. The guy is currently in Africa somewhere (his house looks like national geographic exploded in there, it's full of stuff from his safaris) so I couldn't ask if he had any more bullets. I really hope he's not using my rounds for anything after all this talk about over-pressure. I've yet to get it shot over a chrono so I don't know how it's performing vs. factory loadings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His 416 weighs 4 pounds? </div></div>

That's probably an exaggeration... I mean come on, this is the internet. His rifle is light, and I'm good looking and have a full head of hair. It's all true.

It is noticeably lighter than my rem700/hs-precison stocked .308 though, I know that much. I don't have a scale that reads above 2 pounds though so I don't even know how much my own rifles weigh.