• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I have $300 to spend, how should I spend it??

spleify

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Colorado
www.paracordwraps.com
Hello all, very new to long range precision shooting.

I am picking up a Remington 700 VTR in .308

I would like to get the best glass I can for my very limited budget. I know $300 is not a lot to spend, but its all I have right now and figured I would see what you all thoughts.

I am hoping to build a 1000 yard rifle and will only be shooting targets no hunting.

Thanks

Re: I have $300 to spend, how should I spend it??

SS 10x rear focus... it'll work for now and you'll be able to sell it for $250-$275 when you're ready to upgrade.... keep the box and everything

Some reasonable options at your price point, which may be found new or used, in no particular order:

Weaver 3-10x40
SWFA SS 10x or 16x42
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 or 6-18x40

Hi,

I am a beginner at precision shooting, and after alot of reading on this forum, I just made my first scope purchase yesterday from Midway.

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 MIL/MIL $199.00
Burris 1" Xtreme Tactical Rings $49.99
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Base $39.99

Including standard shipping, you should be under $300.00
I also searched this forum and found a Midway promo discount code for $10.00 off!

I hope the deal that I found works for you!

--- diSko ---

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diSko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

I am a beginner at precision shooting, and after alot of reading on this forum, I just made my first scope purchase yesterday from Midway.

I also searched this forum and found a Midway promo discount code for $10.00 off!

--- diSko --- </div></div>

Money well spent!

I just got pretty much the same thing and I'm very pleased with the setup for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diSko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

--- diSko --- </div></div>

Hello! First I might consider a different model 700 than the VTR. There are a number of those a the club I belong to and none are very accurate. I would go with something with a round barrel not that triangle thing. If you want to shoot 1000 yds. get a rifle with a 26 inch not that 22 inch barrel. Also look for a 10 twist barrel so you can shoot the heavier bullets, the VTR is a 12 twist. For 1000 yards you would want to shoot 175 or 180 gr. bullets. JMTCW BILL

I've owned a couple bushnell 10X scopes if that is all you can afford they are fine. They're nothing to write home about but they work and are reliable.

As the others have said if you haven't paid for that VTR yet I probably wouldn't get it. Find a deal on a 24+ PSS or similar there are plenty out there.

I vote for the SS 16x. My friend has one on an AR and it's a great scope for the money.

If you want something more full featured, also consider the BSA 4-14x44, which seems to be the Falcon Menace 4-14x44 with a few changes and for about $130 less.

See this thread for more information about this scope. Based on that thread, and notwithstanding the generally poor reputation of BSA's optics, I got one for my Savage MkII, and it should arrive here tomorrow. If it really is a slightly modified Falcon Menace, it should be g2g on a centerfire too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spleify</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, very new to long range precision shooting.

I would like to get the best glass I can for my very limited budget. I know $300 is not a lot to spend, but its all I have right now and figured I would see what you all thoughts.

I am hoping to build a 1000 yard rifle and will only be shooting targets no hunting.

Thanks </div></div>

This is a good ( as everyone already said) on a budget scope @ 10x power MIL/MIL scope for 199 however its only 10 power in my opinion to little power for 1000yards.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/...atte?cm_vc=Z011

<span style="color: #FF0000">This is an even better option on a budget scope with lifetime warranty @ 4 to 16 power variable First Focal Plane, MIL MIL adjustments, Mil dot reticle with 1/2 mil markers, and a green optional lighted reticle. I use it on my budget guns and have had great results. With a lifetime warranty if it breaks they say they will replace it. Havent had to do that yet myself mine works fine.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458997/...r-reticle-matte</span>
Good luck with your shopping hope it works out. </div></div>

Wow,you are seriously going to tell him it is FFP?
It most certainly is not.
I owned one of these scopes, mine was a very decent sample. The glass was good, the adjustments sharp and accurate,
I was not able to reset the turrets after zero, no matter how much I loosened the screw, locked the turrets etc...
This problem led me to get rid of it.

It was, actually, a decent scope. But it is not FFP and to represent it as such is mis-leading and wrong.

You may be mis-understanding what FFP is. When you adjust a FFP scope, the reticle appears to change size with the magnification. In reality, the reticle is maintaining the exact same sub-tension on the target.

Wow, what a great response and great information. I am off to a couple of stores to see which ones of the above mentioned I can find and actually look at and touch and feel and smell.

Thanks for the info folks and I will post back with my findings and I'm sure, more questions.

u can get a 6.5-20x44 vortex viper for 339.99 right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spleify</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, very new to long range precision shooting.

Thanks </div></div>I would go with a Nikon 3-9 x 40mm myself. That power range will get you started and the Nikon scopes are pretty good for the money. Oh, don't forget the Redfields either.
grin.gif

My vote goes towards a 6.5-20 Viper... Mine has been serving me quite well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glazer1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver 3-10x40 </div></div>
Another vote for weaver. 3-10 from midway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/...atte?cm_vc=Z011

and some nice rings. </div></div>
Yes, this is the scope you should buy. It's a great deal on a 10X MIL/MIL scope and it has the magnification to engage targets out to 1000 yards. BTW, the US military used 10X scopes for decades and they reeked havoc on our enemies!

Another vote for this Bushnell 10X MIL/MIL scope.

and buy these rings while you are at it! Burris Extreme 1" Rings

When you think scope and limited budget, think fixed power, low turrent, fixed focus and get good glass. Get an 8 or 10X and sight it in and shoot. Cheap scopes with all the features are bad deals in my opinion. I would also consider used as you can get much more for your dollar. I would try to find an older high quality fixed Luepold or something like that. If you wish to upgrade, it will hold it's value.

I'd either buy the fixed 10x Bushnell mil/mil model at midway or I'd keep saving.

I would get the 16x Super Sniper if is was me. I love the 10x but with my eyes a bit more magnification is nice to have. That will get you shooting and enjoy the rifle and thn just start saving for a better scope like the 10xHD Super Sniper or a variale later on. But the SS fixed powers have served many of us with trouble free service for years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rammerjammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u can get a 6.5-20x44 vortex viper for 339.99 right now. </div></div>

Where???
I haven't seen them on sale anywhere for less than the usual $400...

I can't say anything about the Millett, other than I've seen mixed reviews. Good luck if you've already pulled the trigger, and let us know how it holds up.

If you haven't yet, I just purchased one of these, about half of normal retail:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...xPlex%20Reticle

The Nitrex TR-1 is supposed to be the Weaver Grand Slam clone- made in Japan (good quality)- as a "house brand" for Natchez's...

I can tell you this- for under $200, I have never seen another scope come close (well, maybe my Vortex Crossfire- but that's the cheapest scope Vortex makes, and the Nitrex beats it hands down).

The advantage of the Nitrex for long range is that it has 1/8 MOA clicks...

Hi Everyone!

Just got something in the mail today that I wanted to show. My first basic setup.

GOOD_DEAL_1.jpg

This was such a great purchase at a great price. I totally acknowledge that I am a beginner and have alot of learning to do, and that this scope and its features will keep me busy learning for a while.

I do not hunt. I will only be shooting at paper. I will mostly be shooting up to 500 yards and never over 1000 yards. Since I am a beginner, this scope has more features than I know what to do with.

GOOD_DEAL_2.jpg

Here was my criteria for making this purchase:

Would I like something nice such as a Night Force? Yes.
Would I like some nice hardware such as Badger Ordnance? Yes.
Do I need the really nice stuff now? No.
Is the equipment that I purchased suitable for my beginner skill level? Yes
Will I out shoot this scope and its features with my beginner skill level anytime soon? No
Do I want to spend all of my money on equipment and have no money left to actually go out and spend some shooting time? No.
With the money that I saved from this purchase, will the extra money spent on range time make me a better shooter? Yes

Thank you Snipers Hide for educating me every night, and hopefully one day I will not be a beginner anymore.

--- diSko ---

Honestly save up the money and get a 1000 dollar nightforce 3.5-15x50 and you wont regret taking the hit. Ive upgraded over 4x and would have saved close to 500 dollars if I would have just done it once and taken the hit and gotten it done with.

You did a great job.

I have put a few people into that exact setup for beginning long range shooting, because it works....

Happy New Year!

Vortex has someentry level scopes as little as 99.00 on sale.