• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I have $300 to spend on a spotting scope. Help me

Re: I have $300 to spend on a spotting scope. Help me

Save your money. For that price you won't be able to get a spotting scope to do what a spotting scope needs to be able to do.

Agreed with the above ... what ever you will find for that price will have used a coke bottle for glass.

-K

spleify. My first Spotting scope was a redfield rampage and if im not mistaken it was right around the 300 dollar mark. you might wanna give them a look. not the greatest thing in the world if your used to really high quality optics but if your just looking to spot your groupings at 3-400 yards itll do the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spleify</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I have $300 to spend on a spotting scope.

Please help me decide which one would be the best in my limited price range.

Thanks so much </div></div>

Get the Konus suggested above. Have one and it has worked fine for me for spotting bullet holes and spotters at matches. I use it regularly to spot bullet holes out to 300yd, and it will sometimes work at 600yd if the contrast is good and mirage low. For seeing spotters, I use it out to 1000yds. It's no Kowa but then again I only paid $220.

More importantly spend the extra on a good tripod/ballhead or dedicated spotting scope stand. I have a Gitzo 1540T and Markins ballhead from my photography hobby, and find that it adds immeasurably to the functionality because it is so smooth (I have tried the various Manfrotto pistol grip ballheads too but there's so much backlash and play that even with a USO spotter it was unpleasant to use). The only downside of most photography tripod setups are positional, e.g. you can't get it as low as with a spotting scope stand, or close enough to you when prone, etc.

I really like the Konus, it's a really nice spotting scope for $200. Bird watchers really love this scope for the price. Bird watchers knows glass because they like to see contrast and colors.

Here is me spotting for my buddy with the Konus.

giocartmann1-vi.jpg

Look for a Celestron Regal ED. Forget the tactical and hunter branded stuff- you just pay extra. Visit some bird forums and start researching. Celestron's offer a lot for the money. I have an 80mm that is very impressive. A 65mm might be in your range.

They are far from state of the art, but very serviceable... look for surplus M48 M49 and similar military scopes. I still have one that I use. I'll probably upgrade to a USO or similar soon. But these are out there and not bank breakers.

Remember, that they were the state-of-the-art best your tax dollars could buy 30 years ago. Better than a lot of budget optics today. 5 years ago, they cost peanuts. Now, $300 "should" get you a nice unit with tripod.

Just one of many options... But I love mine.

Cheers,

Sirhr

For $300'ish ive been very pleased with my Vortex Nomad.

The Konus is great for the money! I bought one last year (80mm objective) and I was shocked at how nice and clear it is. I can easily see .30cal hits at 300yds, .223 if mirage is low. The tripod that comes with it works but it is nothing special. If you time it right Midway may run a sale (think I got mine last fall for 179.00 I think)

Another vote for Konus. I have the 80mm objective version and I have seen 17hmr holes at 200 yards. I bought mine to use until I could afford better glass. I can afford any glass I like now, but I see no reason to spend the money.

Get a Konus from Jim Owens http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

If you dont like it he will buy it back from you and donate it to a junior HP team.

Great scope even if the price were closer to 500.00 but do invest in a decent tripod or you will go nutz trying to keep it on target.

I'm in the same boat and was steered toward the Minox MD50. It receives good reviews from the bird watching crowd as well. Doug at Camera Land has demo units for $219 shipped. Minox

Natchez has the Nikon ED 50, refurbished for $400. Nikon ED50

Those are my two starter choices, I'll be buying one soon.

Paul

I have to second, third, and fourth reviews of the Konus. Great scope for a small price plus if you save up for something like a Kowa, the Konus has decent resale value to get some $$ back.

I have the Konus 20-60X100 that I purchased on sale from Midway for under $300. Its on sale again right now.

I've used it to spot bullet holes out to 300 and spotters at 1000 as other have mentioned. It works well for this purpose.

For the price the Konus 20-60X100 is hard to beat.

go to sgt.james r. owens website.... he`s got good prices on s.scopes
bill larson

Well, folks thanks again so much for all of the helpful feedback.

I went ahead and ordered the Konus. Looked like a good unit and you guys all gave it such good reviews I didnt think I could go wrong.

Thanks again