• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I have a Rem SPS Tactical in the Hogue stock

Re: I have a Rem SPS Tactical in the Hogue stock

I'd go with a new stock. That's what I did with mine.

Emilio

go with the new stock route you will be happier in the end. I got the bell and carlson light tactical its super stiff and my groups shrunk from 1moa to 1/2 moa at 100.

I have an mcm A3 bedded and couldnt be happier, the hogue stock never saw anything outside my home, if was off and sold long before i ever shot the rifle

I wouldn't put any time into the Hogue stock. There's too much flex for any bedding job to be of any use. I put 150 rounds through mine, then traded the stock off and picked up a McRee Precision. Haven't looked back.

I think the Hogue stock is excellent for other short action Remington rifles, rather than a dedicated target rifle. In a light barreled sporter or walking around type varmint rifle, it is great. But from bench or prone, you'll find it lacking, though still fairly complimentary to the inherent accuracy of the rifle itself until you choose or save up for its replacement.

I went with a B&C as well and, after bedding it, found significant improvement as well. I can only imagine the difference I'd see in a MacMillan!

Im am convinced that bedding an SPS tactical in a quality stock is awesome. My wife sucks at shooting anything other than pistols, but she can shoot my sps pretty well, and it gives her a lot of confidence knowing that the gun will do what she wants. I dont think you can go wrong with losing the stock and bedding it in some quality stock. What queequeg said about a walking around varmit rifle is a great statement. its a good stock just not for the application that it was intended for in my use.

I have a 20" SPS and the Houge was gone very quickly and I have put the McMillan A3.5 Adj on it and couldnot be happier

gun-1.jpg

I was buying a Mcmillan and something else in life took that away from me. Oh well, I will find another. I am getting some great groups, will it really tighten them up even more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was buying a Mcmillan and something else in life took that away from me. Oh well, I will find another. I am getting some great groups, will it really tighten them up even more? </div></div>

Tough to say for sure, but it can. I shaved a 1/4 inch off my group size when I switched from a HS Precision to McMillan, but it may just have been that the adjustable McMillan stock fits me better and allows me to be more consistent from shot to shot.