• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes I have a unique problem for you experts.....

Rapidrob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
This is what I have sent to various makers and have not got an answer worth a darn.....
"I have a unique need for a rifle scope of 24x for long range shooting that will take abnormal recoiling forces. The problem is the rifle has a very sharp push/pull force at the time of firing due to a very efficient muzzle brake.
To add to this force is also a very strong twisting force from the bullet engaging the rifling. This causes the rifle to rotate clock-wise very quickly. When the muzzle brake forces combine with the twisting forces, the reticule will break loose, rotate counter-clock-wise or the adjustment mechanism will fail. This has happened to two high end Vortex brand scopes.
The rifle is an 8mm Remington Magnum pushing a 200 grain bullet to 3,200 FPS. The muzzle brake is a J&P brand.
Does your company offer a rifle scope that withstands these forces?
Thank you for your time."
So for a more in-depth description of what is going on is:
There is very little felt recoil. I would describe it as a sharp double pulse of free energy. A double thump of push/pull. The torque of the bullet going down the bore provides a very strong and twist clock-wise motion that is strong enough to lift one leg of the bi-pod off of the ground.
These forces have wrecked the reticule of two Vortex scopes.
The factory will continue to repair the scopes, but it will only last 3-5 shots before it is broken again.
For you members who have magnum rifles and a very efficient muzzle brake, have you seen this problem? What scope will really withstand these forces?
Please no tudes, I need real facts and field experiences.
Thank you.

I got a nice long phone call from Chuck at Leupold Optics about my problem. They make a scope specifically designed for .50 BMG and rifles with "too efficient" muzzle brakes.
Most scopes cannot take a forward motion jolt. Think Air Rifles, as they cannot use a "normal" rifle scope either due to the forward push of the piston.
After much talk and him researching his data base, he suggested the MK-4 8.5x25 50mm. for my type of shooting. He also recommended the the LRT-M with the TMR reticule would fill the bill and is guaranteed not to fail. Sometimes there are unexpected consequences when building a rifle, this odd-ball recoil is one.
I am always open to suggestions on brands and types of scopes.

I think the EFR scopes that Leupold used to make were also rated for air rifles, and they may be an other option. I would try a NXS on it and see what happens, or at least call NF and see what they say.

I understand the light recoil is awesome but what about a different muzzle brake and have a little recoil and no problems.. its cheaper than a scope.

Used Leupold MK4 4.5-14 with TMR reticle on my Barrett MRAD 338 LM wIthout any problem after 500 rounds. Many people have also used the SWFA SS fixed scopes as well as Bushnell and Nightforce on 50 cal without issues. Have heard of many Vortex failing on high caliber weapons, but will be quickly replaced due excellent CS at Vortex. Save your replaced new Vortex for one of your smaller caliber rifles and buy one of the ones I mentioned, possibly used here on the Hide and you should be good to get out and shoot more than 3-4 rounds. Were even able to get your "cannon" zeroed with your failing Vortex?

Vortex has been working with me after the third repair failed after four shots. They are upgrading to a much better model at no cost. Their customer service is first rate.