• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I know, I Know.. barrel break in question... Please just read

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
So I called Savage and they said follow the break in for the barrel on their site. Ok fine, I guess lol... So below is the break in they recommend and I've of course read it on here as well... my question is, do you go through this whole process at the range? Having to literally shoot one round at a time, run through the whole process listed? Wow that seems like a pain in the ass and serious time consuming thing to do at the range. Is this really necessary? If it is I will do it, but damn that seems like a lot to break in a barrel. Thanks for your time.

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)
  • Fire one round
  • Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)
  • Fire a 3 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)
  • Fire a 5 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1

no.. just no. just start putting rounds through it and let the accuracy tell you when its time to clean. there is nothing wrong with running a brush through to remove loose carbon and then a patch to oil the barrel after each session but as for break in. Just no.

Ok, so do I need to run a patch or anything thought it before I shoot it for the first time?

I follow that similar structure except I always clean the bore before the first fire. I only use nylon brushes, patches and hoppes no 9 until patches come out clean.

If anything just running patches til clean before you fire. Then let her rip.

Bore guide and carbon fiber rod are also nice to have.

When you have 9 hours to spend doing that go ahead, lol. I would never waste that much time but that's just me maybe.

Reactions: bhoges
If it’s a new rifle then run a couple patches down it before you shoot for the first time then just enjoy it.

I used to go through that whole process and it was a huge waste of time. I never saw a difference in rifles where I did or didn’t do the procedure so I just stopped. Have yet to see any negative affect of not doing it.

Ive recently quite cleaning as much... im putting easily 500 rounds through the rifle without cleaning before I see any issue with grouping. Nylon brush, no.9 until the patch is clean, no oil as I shoot too often.

Ok, so do I need to run a patch or anything thought it before I shoot it for the first time?
Yes, always clean a new gun before being shot the first time. Even though a manufacturer should send you a clean gun, you never know what's in the barrel left over from the manufacturing process, handling, or even just sitting on a shelf. Always clean a new gun before shooting it. IMO.

I'm a noob and haven't had that many new rifles so YMMV. I've never followed that procedure and still hold sub MOA.

I just "broke in" my RPR the other day. Shot 20 rounds then got cold and went home because my finger tips were loosing feeling. I then put it in the safe to finish my process. Well see if it's ruined. :)

Reactions: ROT and Bender
On a less expensive factory rifle, I wouldn't waste the time, your gonna have half the price of the rifle tied up in time cleaning by the time your done... Now If you have something custom or more expensive, and you want a quick easy clean during the killing season and you don't want to be patching out for hours with blue streaks, then do it.

Frank did a whole podcast on this on the “Everyday Sniper”. Frank was stating that a high quality barrel needs no break in. For a factory barrel such as your Savage, he recommended doing basically the same thing.

I’d just buy 100 - 200 rounds of XYZ factory match ammo and shoot it, then take your nicely formed brass and reload them. The round count should smooth out any machining deficiencies and you’ll probably see an increase in velocity as well (which is why I’d say use factory ammo instead of automatically doing tests with your handloads).

My barrel break-in procedure FWIW:
  1. Start with cleaned/lightly oiled barrel
  2. Fire one round
  3. Soak bore mop with KG1 and run it back and forth twice
  4. Run dry patches until no more gunk
  5. Soak (different) bore mop with KG12 and run it back and forth twice
  6. Run dry patches until no more gunk
  7. Lightly oil patch, run it back and forth once.
  8. Repeat steps 2-7 above for five rounds
  9. Fire two rounds
  10. Repeat steps 3-7 above for five, two-round groups
  11. Fire five-round group
  12. Repeat steps 3-7
I use this process as I think that it's a good blend of published gentle break-in procedures, and it just happens to use up a 20-round box of factory ammo (which I tend to use for break-in). :)

My barrel break-in procedure FWIW:
  1. Start with cleaned/lightly oiled barrel
  2. Fire one round
  3. Soak bore mop with KG1 and run it back and forth twice
  4. Run dry patches until no more gunk
  5. Soak (different) bore mop with KG12 and run it back and forth twice
  6. Run dry patches until no more gunk
  7. Lightly oil patch, run it back and forth once.
  8. Repeat steps 2-7 above for five rounds
  9. Fire two rounds
  10. Repeat steps 3-7 above for five, two-round groups
  11. Fire five-round group
  12. Repeat steps 3-7
I use this process as I think that it's a good blend of published gentle break-in procedures, and it just happens to use up a 20-round box of factory ammo (which I tend to use for break-in). :)

I’ve done this as well. Saw great results in helping build my shoulder muscles. No real change down range other than less rounds during my range trip.

But chicks dig muscles. Swab away!

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Here is Frank's Barrel Break-In Procedure:

1. Run a single wet patch, then x2 dry patches, inspect action
2. Zero the Rifle at 100 yards - 10 round max, usually closer to 6
3. Chronograph the Rifle - 5 to 10 rounds
4. Dope the rifle to Distance x50 +/-
5. Chronograph the rifle to see if anything changed,
6. Recheck zero just because there might a new scope on it
7. Go home and clean it as normal,

Normal Cleaning

1. Wet Patch x1
2. 4 Strokes with a wet brush
3. Wet Patch x1
4. Dry patch x3
5. Wipeout Action and Chamber, wipe down bolt
6. Check and Clean Crown
7. A quick look at anything I missed, a bit of lube on the lugs,
8. Put Rifle away until next time

I’ve done this as well. Saw great results in helping build my shoulder muscles. No real change down range other than less rounds during my range trip.

But chicks dig muscles. Swab away!

Weight Room.jpg

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
If you KNEW, then for the love of Pete WHY did you bring us here to this place yet again?!

Because I just couldn't believe that you would have to possibly go though all that shit to break in a barrel lol. Thats an all day adventure.

I have always cleaned a new rifle or barrel before firing the first shot just like it was stated above to clean out any debris or chemicals left over during the manufacturing process .
My dad always told me to shoot one round,run a wet patch then a couple of dry ones through it ,repeat this for the first 20 rounds- supposedly it just helps not burn in a bunch of junk into the imperfections of the rifling- clean it and then you're good to go! I have always followed his words of wisdom and have had great luck - it doesn't take more than an hour and it gives me a peace of mind so that I know that I'm not doing anything to compromise the accuracy of my new toy!

Reactions: G5guy
Barrel break in procedures are for retired guys with too much time on their hands.

This..... if he says this... then I’m taking it to the bank. Before I got into Long range I never cleaned more than a bore snake out of shear laziness or lack of time..... who knew how right I was in ignoring the old wives tales of break in rituals. Performance change? Clean it. FYI, never more than bore brushed my .308 in thousands of rounds. Still shot the same.

Here is my factory.223 Rem sps Tactical. Never cleaned it yet.
Why would I when it does this? 3rds.

4E17D3A3-CB00-4D0A-A02D-C645413AF4E8.jpeg

Reactions: Codiekfx400
This..... if he says this... then I’m taking it to the bank. Before I got into Long range I never cleaned more than a bore snake out of shear laziness or lack of time..... who knew how right I was in ignoring the old wives tales of break in rituals. Performance change? Clean it. FYI, never more than bore brushed my .308 in thousands of rounds. Still shot the same.

Here is my factory.223 Rem sps Tactical. Never cleaned it yet.
Why would I when it does this? 3rds.

View attachment 6877509

Nice shooting Bender on that factory Remington. I was once told by a well known gunsmith that he has seen more barrels ruined by cleaning than he has seen shot out barrels. Besides cleaning rifles is a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Bender
At a minimum clean the barrel,when you first get it, I have never seen a brand new rifle come with a squeaky clean barrel (that's from my tac ops and AI's to my ruger 10-22 and a sh!t load in the middle).
And in cleaning I have found all kinds of stuff from little shavings to pieces of wood crate (1933 Mauser matching #s)
After that shooting with a REALLY light coat of oil can be alright but if there's is too much is a no-no.
You can't compress a liquid and i have seen 2 barrels bulge because of it at 2 different schools over the years.
Both guys cleaned it the night before and in the morning the accuracy went to shit, we were all standing there staring. Range officer brought over a bore scope and when we looked down the barrel you could see a deformation in the grooves.
Might have been the only 2 times in history but spooked me enough that I always run a dry patch down when possible.

I'll throw this out there just because...

Not that I always do it, but I was taught by a world record (seven last time I asked) BR shooter to use 2-stroke motor oil to break in the barrel. He instructed me to coat the inside of the barrel in the oil, fire one shot, then clean with a regular gun cleaner. Repeat a couple times or until no copper fouling remains. I've done this on a few barrels and they all shot very well. I've also not done it on a few barrels and they also shot very well. So...who really know.

As for factory barrels, well, they're just glorified tomato stakes so why waste the time.

Reactions: ROT
I'll throw this out there just because...

Not that I always do it, but I was taught by a world record (seven last time I asked) BR shooter to use 2-stroke motor oil to break in the barrel. He instructed me to coat the inside of the barrel in the oil, fire one shot, then clean with a regular gun cleaner. Repeat a couple times or until no copper fouling remains. I've done this on a few barrels and they all shot very well. I've also not done it on a few barrels and they also shot very well. So...who really know.

Voodoo bullshit with no real world application ...

That's a pretty strong statement from someone who doesn't compete in BR. Have you, Frank, tried this method? If not, how can you make any claims to its effectiveness? Are you a metallurgist that can explain how the 2-stroke oil and the bullet work on the barrel?

Marksman,

Tony Boyer, the greatest BR shooter of all time (and that really IS saying something) seems to spin up barrels as often as making coffee.

His procedure is to clean it, and then commence load development IMMEDIATELY.

The guy won't go into a major competition with more than about 200 rounds on a barrel. So there's literally NO TIME to be spending on any break in because he feels the barrel's groups begin to open up.

Keep in mind that the standard for accuracy in his Benchrest pursuit is on the order of 0.100 MOA, and the rifles needs to be doing near that ALL the time. Granted, they clean the barrels regularly, but if you're tossing barrels by the 500 round mark because they are now a 0.150" tube, then you probably don't do any significant voodoo.

So if you're talking about custom barrels of any worth, don't talk at me about your break in bullshit. (eta: that's a general statement, not directed at only you, Marksman)

-Nate

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
I have been to places like Bartlein and watched them make barrels from start to finish, it's frigging stainless steel.

They hand lap these barrels twice with a lead slug, and when cut they are constantly coated in oil. Each barrel gets 10 passes per land, so a 5R gets 50 strokes twice. Lead Slug, Fluids, and a type of jewelers rouge.

if you think 2 strokes with motor oil is doing anything I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you that my granddad gave me the deed for... great deal

Reactions: S12A and M77
Ok let's take a step back, shall we.

I put out a method of break-in that I've never read about. That is called the sharing of information. I also stated I didn't know if it works, just that it was recommended to me by a qualified shooter, gunsmith, and engineer with 40 years experience.

I was then told by someone who doesn't have any of those qualifications that it is BS. He can't state why or give any details, just that it is BS. Where I come from, people aren't to be listened to if they can't give reasons or evidence to support their stance.

Nate, your comments are interesting and I have read TB's book. I am very familiar with HIS methods. But, that doesn't mean or prove what I said about the 2-stroke oil had no merit. Again, you only supply anecdotal evidence.

@Lowlight

Bartlein barrels will reccomend this gunsmith and I quote from their company president, "we think very highly of him around here".

So what does that mean, he is not bullshitting people,

I know a bunch of gunsmiths that say one thing and do another

As noted there is nothing in motor oil that gonna effect stainless steel in 2 passes with a brush.

Good for him believing his own bullshit

LL,

You are so misinterpretting what I'm saying. I'm not advocating this, only that it exists and you don't have any evidence, other than anecdotal to support your claim that it doesn't work. Think about that for a second. I'm not saying that it does work because I don't have enough data to make such a conclusion. But, without the same data, you are saying it does nothing. Do you not see the error in that thinking?

Not two passes with a brush. You coat the inside of the barrel with the oil then fire a bullet with the oil still in place. And yeah, I agree, nothing about two passes with a brush would do anything. But a few bullets fired could.

Well, I guess that is why all the knowelgable shooters hang out at accurateshooter.com...and don't worry Lil' Frankie I won't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out, I'm leaving voluntarily

Marksman, there's not really any reason to leave. Frank is just abrasive, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know things, OR that you don't.

I get where you're going with regards to 'just putting it out there'. That IS the point of forums. Some of us that have been on them for a decade or longer tend to get a little crusty, I admit. That's one reason I don't spend a lot of time moderating anymore...I just don't really care enough to not IP ban somebody when they piss me off.

But I am not anecdotally providing information. I have personally not seen any benefit to a specific break-in procedure on match grade barrels I have personally used from the likes of Shilen, Anschutz, Krieger, Bartlein, Wilson, and Lothar Walther.

My qualifications are fairly well defined at this point.

-Nate

Reactions: Str8shot