• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I know you're not supposed to vacuum...but why?

targaflorio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
So I have spent primers, powder and tumbling media littering my reloading bench work area. I know you're not supposed to use a vacuum, but is it because you might pick up a live primer? or the powder might heat up and burn? What if I used one of those small battery powered jobs you hang on the wall for small jobs?

Re: I know you're not supposed to vacuum...but why?

Horse hockey I vacuum up spent primers and media all the time with a shop vac. I guess if I was sucking up a bunch of live primers and powder it might do something but come on really now....

I use a dustbuster all the time to vacuum my reloading area.

I've been slapped on the wrist by Greg for considering the same...but I do vacuum the area. Not a huge pile of powder, but I feel getting the trash out of the nooks and crannies makes the room cleaner.

I wouldnt go and vacuum up 1000 live primers at the same time that I vacuum up 20lb's of powder...

But i do vacuum from time to time

The warning is for static electricity reasons.

If you've ever used a shop vac to suck up a ton of dust in a dry environment it's painfully clear why... literally. I've experienced a 2.5" arc to the knuckle while cleaning up a shop that did a whole bunch of felt cutting for a job.

After I regained the feeling in my fingers I made a static bracelet for it.

That being said, I suck up stuff with my dustbuster all the time.

I have vacuumed up primers and powder together in every vacuum cleaner my wife ever brought home.

I have never been able to get anything going in the vacuum cleaner.

Also, most shop and home vacuums have air cooled, brushed motors, meaning a high proBability a small arcs in the motor. Aerosolized powder + arc can be bad, and most stuff in a vacuum's collection is flammable.... I sweep, better safe than sorry.

Which is a good time to ask, "Anybody out there experience a fire while doing that cleanup?"

Which is probably a good time to bring up, what do you think is the best extinguisher type for a reloading workshop?

I have halon and dry chem in mine, but I'm thinking of adding a co2 and a wide mouth jug of water since halon and dry chem work by separating the fire from available oxygen, which won't help with powder, as it would continue to burn, while co2 and water would cool the area (though, co2 would blow it around, hence the water). Guess I like redundancy (though, if it was a confined fire (in a vacuum), I'd grab the halon...it will "get into" just about anywhere, and while it's expensive (and thus my last resort), if you don't have time to think "which extinguisher is the right one", it's the best one to grab.

Static and arching motors aren't much of a problem, the static charges will do nothing to primers - not enough of a charge - and picking up flour off a kitchen floor is more likely to detonate than smokeless gun powders - but the makers design them to prevent that.

Vacuums usually deposit the particles in a bag before the air runs through the impellers.

What can be a potentially 'alarming problem' is using a carpet sweeper/pick-up device to lift live primers that MIGHT get hit, but even if they do they won't blow the vacuum apart.

All we need is a lawyer proof sticker that reads..."CAUTION, life may cause death."

I have got a primer horror story.
My youngest brother took out a teen age girl, who was paid by her father to decap some primed brass. The decapped primers were all landing in a cup that exploded. She had small scars all over her face. She said that every once in a while an anvil would work it's way to the surface.

I found this out last week lol

My girlfriend was vacuming the garage last week and ended up sucking up 2 175g SMK bullets haha

She came to me on the computer and said guess what I found.. She wasnt too happy.

I said what..

She held her hand out and showed me 2 beautiful golden lookin things..

I just said hey thats where those went, I was looking for those.
thanks babe
laugh.gif

Just made her more mad and clean the house more
wink.gif

Just loaded them up the other day. Cant tell a difference.

But yes I do vacuum my work bench area from time to time. I throw away my primers due to just not wanting to hear the spent primers rattle all the way up the tube. But I do suck up little bits of poweder on the floor and station. Being so cheap I try to spare as much as I can and put it back in the tub if not too dirty
wink.gif

I use a little B&D rechargeable but never ventured to the Shop vac.

use a carpet cleaning machine or just wet/spray the area down with a litte water and your good to go

About 20 years ago, I was vacuuming and picked up several live primers. The beater bar on that big Kirby(thing sounded like a lawn mower) set off the primers and I had to take the whole shebang outside and pull out the burning vac bag.

I thought I was the only one.....

Nashlaw: According to replies...you are the only one that has had an "experience". Don't use a Kirby is what your experience tells us...and, the rechargeables seem to work without problems. So far, the shop vacs that don't have beaters work without problems. Sounds good to this point. Keep the responses coming!

I've been using a wet/dry vac for years.I make sure it has a small particle filter installed,then I clean it and leave a small amount of water in the tub before use.I vac before annealing brass,even though I anneal in another room.I have a big dry chem extinguisher in the room at all times,but have been lucky enough to have never had to use it.
STEVE

We have a central vac. I never use it in the relaoding room because boy it would suck tryig to get that thing apart and run out of the house with it if it caught on fire. I always use the shop vac just in case. It's right by the door and has wheels and I'll go like hell out into the back yard with it if it ever takes to smoldering.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 20 years ago, I was vacuuming and picked up several live primers. The beater bar on that big Kirby(thing sounded like a lawn mower) set off the primers and I had to take the whole shebang outside and pull out the burning vac bag.

I thought I was the only one..... </div></div>

I was paying someone wages with an expense account to take care of a household, and the person bought a $2300 Kirby from the high pressure salesman who came to the door.

The fireworks went off when I got the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The beater bar on that big Kirby(thing sounded like a lawn mower) set off the primers and I had to take the whole shebang outside and pull out the burning vac bag.</div></div>

Did Kirby warranty it?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headgear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a central vac. I never use it in the relaoding room because boy it would suck tryig to get that thing apart and run out of the house with it if it caught on fire. </div></div>

LMFAO..........

My other guess would be static electricity. Have you ever used a wet/dry vac with a long hose on a dry day? Lots of static build up in that hose and if you have a good amount of powder or maybe unfired primer, it could be set off by a mild spark.

Maybe you guys should sweep your area first and then vacume? I don't have any carpet in my loading area but I'm sure that some load in rooms in their house. Would suggest laying down some plastic around your bench or the cheap gym mats so that you don't loose them in the carpet.

I too have received the dreaded shop vac shock - it is brutal in dry weather. I try to sweep everyting I can get - I keep a broom and dustpan in my reloading room. Less effort than going and getting the vaccuum out of the closet.

Edit: I have linoleum. I can see this being a much bigger issue if you load in an area with carpet.

I use a little bitty wet/dry vac to just pick up the little pieces in the back corners.

Clorox wipes do most of my cleaning since they get it all into the trash quick and easy.

Funny Story: I was investigating a guy because both his vehicles burned the same day and we had two separate claims. He was in the hospital with 3rd degree burns which usually indicates an inexperienced arsonist. I contacted the local Fire Marshall and told him who I was and what I was looking into. The Fire Marshall starts laughing so hard he can't breath. He finally tells me that both cars were in the guy's drive way. He needed to change the fuel pump out on his Chevy but had 1/2 tank of gas left in it. He rigged up a giant straw and attached it to his wet/dry vac. His statement was, "I turned it on and then everything got bright and I was really warm......." Veh 1 caught Veh 2 on fire.

I have one of those i-robot things. It automatically cleans up my man cave. It hasn't blown up yet. So....urban myth..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a dustbuster all the time to vacuum my reloading area.</div></div>
X2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 20 years ago, I was vacuuming and picked up several live primers. The beater bar on that big Kirby(thing sounded like a lawn mower) set off the primers and I had to take the whole shebang outside and pull out the burning vac bag.

I thought I was the only one.....</div></div>

My mother just recently retired her <span style="font-weight: bold">old</span> Kirby. It sucked up more than one live win 209 primer in its lifetime..... It'll definitely get your heart going!