• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I love my Sako TRG-22

reloader-1

Just a few more fps...
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
South Florida
Well, I have been wanting to get into LR shooting, so I went ahead and purchased a TRG-22 from Alex at EuroOptic. Shoot 20 rounds about two weeks ago, achieved a .692 group the first time I tried shooting for groups.

I've never had any formal training or classes, haven't been shooting for that long. Today, I went out again (100 yd range) and reeled off this 5 shot bad boy (I included the entire target per site rules, first shot was the cold bore one, then the group, I was so excited that I rushed my diamond shots a bit once I realized how small the group was). Measured 0.628 from edge to edge, subtracted .308 to get a .32 - that is how you do it right?

Note - it was windy and gusty as heck today, about 10mph with wind gusts all over the place.

img2011110600037.jpg

EDIT: the rifle!

img2011110800040.jpg

Re: I love my Sako TRG-22

Nice shooting. It makes me want to forgo putting my next Remy together and just buy Sako right off the shelf.

Awesome! And welcome to the TRG crowd. If you handload, watch that group tighten up as you length the load toward the lands. The TRG throat is long, and my 168 BTHP loads measure upward toward 2.900" when loading .010" off the lands.

What optic did you go with? Run the OEM bipod & brake?

Actually, I am slowly building up the accessories. Harris #6 adapter and bipod, a Sako Optilock mount I bought off Gunbroker that doesn't quite fit, and a cheapo Bushnell Elite 3200 10x $200 scope.

Factory brake, I've already bought a Spuhr mount and I am slowly saving up money for a nice S&B scope.

If you ever consider the TRG bipod over your harris, see if anyone around you has one to test before you buy. Not everybody likes it or thinks it's worth the ~$400 used price.

Personally, I think it's the best bipod I ever used--if I could figure out how to fit one on all my rifles, I would!

Hamstur, one question I have is how the sharp metal tines work on concrete/hard surfaces?

That was my one concern before buying it.

I really don't have much experience with rifles, I've probably shot less than 150 rounds in my life through a bolt action centerfire. Any advice is appreciated!

I've read a lot and I did buy a TAB rear bag which helped tremendously, plus I did try to modulate my breathing and relax. I am a dedicated handgun shooter, shoot over 8k rounds a year and I guess trigger control carries over to rifles pretty well.

Shooting prone resting on concrete worked perfectly for me. The only surface that didn't fair well was from a perfectly smooth shooting bench which I don't use unless I have to. If I do shoot my TRG from a bench, a piece of carpet fixes everything.

If you search the forums for TRG bipod discussions, there are plenty of opinions--here's an example that includes a rubber foot mod that Terje made: Sniper's Hide Sako TRG Bipod Discussion

The O-ring mod is an absolute must. I wouldn't bother shooting one without the it. Some people report not liking the 'floppy' feeling. For me, it seems to help me establish quick & consistent pre-load.

very nice. i've been trolling the TRG-22 308 myself. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22-50 mil-dot that needs a new home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAT300WM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22-50 mil-dot that needs a new home. </div></div>

I agree, on my .308
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The O-ring mod is an absolute must. I wouldn't bother shooting one without the it. Some people report not liking the 'floppy' feeling. For me, it seems to help me establish quick & consistent pre-load. </div></div>

I agree, I didn't like the bipod at all without the o-ring mod. I shoot at a local indoor 100 yrd range most of the time as it is close so the metal tines are kind of a pain in the ass, it is hard for me to get any semblance of a grip with the bipod at that range. I really like the Sako bipod but I would seriously consider the Atlas for myself once the TRG spigot comes out.

USW, I added a pic of the rifle
grin.gif

Only things on the rifle are Terje's cheek and butt spacers, as well as his extended safety. Bag is TAB gear, bipod is Harris.

I recently just purchased one for my wife. I fell in love with the bolt and trigger. My wife really enjoys going out t the range now. I think everyone should have one in there safe.

Welcome to the club, I would accuse you of drinking the cool aid, but it is hard to argue with results.
For a long range load try:
175 grn Sierra Matchking
45 grains of Varget powder
Full length sized
seated to 2.810 overall length
I use Remington brass and CCI or Tula primers.
Enjoy.
SScott

Scott are you shooting that load w/ a can on?

To the OP, agan welcom to the club! I love mine more and more every time I shoot it. I have around 4k through mine and would like to put a new tube on it in 6.5x47L but it shoots too damn good! But for me owning a TRG does create a big problem being a gun nut, now I dont like most of the guns I used to like and have sold them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the club, I would accuse you of drinking the cool aid, but it is hard to argue with results.
For a long range load try:
175 grn Sierra Matchking
45 grains of Varget powder
Full length sized
seated to 2.810 overall length
I use Remington brass and CCI or Tula primers.
Enjoy.
SScott</div></div>

What kind of velocity spread are you getting with this load? Are you FL sizing after every firing?

fwiw I got an sd of 9 to 11 depending on temperature and like an es of 10 ish once a 5 round group had an es of 33 because of one fast one. It was fl sized lapua, cci br2's, 44.5 varget with 175smk's, at 2.8. Just got into playing with deeper seating and had a great 300' group with 5 at 2.825. Velocity was 2690 with an oehler 35p at 75 degrees.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but it's old news for some and new news for others: the TRG-22 reliably accepts and feeds from AICS 10-round mags with no modification. Side-to-side fit wiggles a little.

Guys,
In reply to my load listed above, I do not shoot with a can on but with a 26" bbl I am able to get an average of 2720 fps with about a 20 fps spread.
I have shot this same load in 3 factory .308 rifles and have great results with them all.
Enjoy, SScott