• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I / my wife needs better kitchen knives.

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I did the best I could carving the turkey today with the equipment I had in the kitchen. I need some help picking out some QUALITY kitchen knives. I'm needing the three most commonly used size of knives for the kitchen. I know very little about how to choose correctly. I assume that the brands of EDC knives would also make good kitchen knives (ie Boker, Benchmade and such). What do yall have in your kitchen as your goto knife for most chores? Thanks for the help.

Re: I / my wife needs better kitchen knives.

El cheapo electric carving knife makes quick work of a turkey and it just so happens that it cuts foam for gun cases really well too

Sorry it's not what you are asking for but it's all a know and a decent option for turkeys or chicken and steak when making fajitas

We have Henckels, they are pricy but we buy a couple of knives a year at the Navy Exchange. I've bought a couple of cheap knives at Target when I was on the road, the paring knife broke but the slicer has been great.

For a good mid range knife there was a boxed set on Food Network's shopping site I've wanted for years but looking it up it doesn't seem to be available anymore. The set below has a longer santuko blade and white instead of orange case, the handles are a little different.

This is the replacement set:
http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-Gusto...+ray+furi+knife

I'll agree that electric knives work well on turkeys and foam.

Edit: Depending on your budget William Sonoma has sets of Wusthof and Henckels on sale on there web site. Sometimes they do classes that may give you a chnce to try different knives for how they feel.

My wife and I have MAC brand knives, I really like them. I guess the wife does too even though she always ends up slicing off part of her nails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have Henckels, they are pricy but we buy a couple of knives a year at the Navy Exchange. I've bought a couple of cheap knives at Target when I was on the road, the paring knife broke but the slicer has been great.

For a good mid range knife there was a boxed set on Food Network's shopping site I've wanted for years but looking it up it doesn't seem to be available anymore. The set below has a longer santuko blade and white instead of orange case, the handles are a little different.

This is the replacement set:
http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-Gusto...+ray+furi+knife

I'll agree that electric knives work well on turkeys and foam.

Edit: Depending on your budget William Sonoma has sets of Wusthof and Henckels on sale on there web site. Sometimes they do classes that may give you a chnce to try different knives for how they feel.</div></div>
Another vote for Henckels

We've had Henckels for a long time and though a little pricey they are great knives. Hard to beat the el cheapo electric though. Also cut the breast out first and lay it on a cutting baord whole and slice it then. Much easier.

L

I wouldn't use anything other than a kershaw shun series. i have several of them and love them.

If you dont already, you may be better off buying sharpening tools and learning to sharpen the knives you currently have. Also, not storing them stacked up in a drawer helps keep them cutting well longer.

I get standard knives from restaurant supply stores (ones with the white handles) and sharpen on a regular basis. I mostly use only two knives (10" chef and paring) so it doesn't take a lot of time to keep those two sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have Henckels, they are pricy but </div></div>

but WHO CARES when you use them 2-3 times a day?

A nice flexible boner makes short work of the turkey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A nice flexible boner makes short work of the turkey.</div></div>

Too.Perfect. Can't. Help. Myself.

GIGGGITTYYY!!!

I apologize.

Happy Thanksgiving Leo!

Thanks for the advice. The brands mentioned above are some I am considering. The knives we have are in a wood block but, they came from walmart or target or something. They are cheap. I have an OLD sharpening steel that I use now and then. The problem is I'm not "trained" on it. What would be a good sharpener to get with these knives I'm shopping for? Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A nice flexible boner makes short work of the turkey. </div></div>

Remind me to skip an invite for dinner, 9H.

VN969.png

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would be a good sharpener to get </div></div>

Work Sharp is the best money I ever spent on a sharpener. Plug it in and 30 seconds later I have a razor sharp knife.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sportsmans-sharpener.html

I use a 400 grit Japanese water stone for kitchen cutlery but would very much like to get a Wicked Edge.

I never use a "sharpening" steel.

To be fair, the Walmart steel is prob junk.

I use flat stone set to sharpen. I used to teach Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts how to sharpen knives at summer camp. Fury makes a couple of sharpeners that I've never used so I can't say much about thm other than I saw them today online. The Lansky sharpener is nice but doesn't work as easily on big long blades.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube, the Howcast video is about 2 and a half minutes long. I don't agree that an oil stone is harder to use than the water stone but the stone in the video is nice.

have a set of cutco that's really nice. plus they sharpen them for life for free

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wusthof for the win. </div></div>

+1 best knives i have ever used

swedish frost

Spend the money for good knives but for the love of God do not get caught using them in the reloading room........

Forschner holds an edge better than Wusthof, IMHO. You really only need 3 basic knives in the kitchen. Eight to 10 inch chef's knife, boning knife, and a paring knife. I like and use a Chinese cleaver frequently.

We have Wustof and like them alot. They hold an edge relatively well although my wife is constantly trying to sabotage them by never using the steel.

I've also used the "White handle" commercial knives from Sam's. The edge on them isn't actually bad and they hold an edge really well. Problem is they are more difficult to sharpen but for the price you could throw them away and buy new.

Where the quality and design of the Wustof/Henkel/ect will be noticed is if you do a lot of scratch cooking requiring a lot of cutting. The balance is going to make using them easier and your hand won't fatigue as quickly.

As far as what size. 10" chefs knife is the only one you REALLY need. Like the others said, a boning knife is a nice thing to have as well. I personally think a paring knife is useless.

I would also add that a good steel and the knowledge to use it properly and often will help keep your knives in tip top shape.

Wusthof makes some decent stuff but if you want to do it right look to Shun.

Henkels and Wusthof make good stuff, we have Cutco because I sold the stuff in high school and I still get a solid discount on it years later.

Good everyday cutlery is worth every penny we paid for it, it completely meets with the adage of "buy once cry once".

I have some custom hunting knives and my EDC is a Benchmade folder. I've used my Cutco for more than a decade butchering everything from squirrels to bear.

Looked at Henkels and Wusthof today at Bed Bath and Beyond. I sure like the look and feel of both brands. They seem to be very comparable in price. Thanks again for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Henkels and Wusthof make good stuff, we have Cutco because I sold the stuff in high school and I still get a solid discount on it years later.

Good everyday cutlery is worth every penny we paid for it, it completely meets with the adage of "buy once cry once".

I have some custom hunting knives and my EDC is a Benchmade folder. I've used my Cutco for more than a decade butchering everything from squirrels to bear.</div></div>

Bohem,

My son sold Cutco. It was really good when new, but now needs sharpening. Do you send yours in or do it yourself?

Another vote for Wusthof. I haven't used all the various varieties, but our Wusthofs have performed well and are easy to resharpen when necessary.

Henkels and Wusthof are both good brands. I have seen them pop up too often at Ross and places like that. It usually means they have sold out and now make cut rate junk for the outlets like Calphalon now does.

You can't really go wrong with anything that has a red and white logo.

Dexter 8-inch cleaver. I have lots of expensive knives and this is the most used in the last 8 years. Best $45 you'll ever spend.
Dexter 8 inch cleaver
Use any old steel once weekly to keep it razor sharp.

Whustof. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting forged over stamped. I started buying one knife at a time to keep the cost down. I realized I only use a few knives a lot. No sense in buying a set for a bunch of knives you may not use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't use anything other than a kershaw shun series. i have several of them and love them. </div></div>

+1.. the best knife I have ever held in the kitchen

Wusthof.

It seemed a little pricey when I bought them. I got a small block set for around $450. I have since added one santoku style knife which has become my most commonly used piece.

I keep them clean and sharp. They look and function like the day I bought them.

I guess $500 for a lifetime of quality knives is worth it.

My wife and I bought eight Wusthofs thirty-eight years ago. Great knives but a 6" chef's Kershaw Shun now gets ninety percent of the work.

If you aren't accompolished with stones the Worksharp sharpener is very easy to use.

Shun fuji are the best i have used. They are not cheap but they rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChameleonCamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have a set of cutco that's really nice. plus they sharpen them for life for free </div></div>

+1. I think mine are about 8 years old but I think Moms are closer to 40. Definitely pricey but it's the last set I plan to ever buy.

Global Knives, there is no substitute and these are also the preferred knives of Gordon Ramsay.

European knives such as J. A. Henckels or Wusthof, Global knives as most Japanese style knives are made from a significantly harder alloy of steel, use a thinner blade thickness, and can be sharpened to a more acute angle. This produces a sharper knife which keeps its edge longer and allows for more accurate work. Global recommends sharpening with a whetstone or ceramic tool rather than an electrical grinder.

<a href="http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/global-10-piece-knife-block-set/?pkey=e%7CGlobal%2B10-Piece%2BKnife%2BBlock%2BSet%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Global 10-Piece Knife Block Set
</a>
4e8b017c1a6753.29644835.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reid Rothchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whustof. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting forged over stamped. I started buying one knife at a time to keep the cost down. I realized I only use a few knives a lot. No sense in buying a set for a bunch of knives you may not use.
</div></div>

Think we're going to do this. Looking at a 7", 5" suntoku and a bread knife.
Just haven't settled on the brand yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reid Rothchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whustof. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting forged over stamped. I started buying one knife at a time to keep the cost down. I realized I only use a few knives a lot. No sense in buying a set for a bunch of knives you may not use.
</div></div>

Think we're going to do this. Looking at a 7", 5" suntoku and a bread knife.
Just haven't settled on the brand yet. </div></div>

They all don't have to be the same brand either. Why not try a few brands? Global, shun, Whustof, high end Henckels. I still want to try the Japanese knives like global and shun. I'm sure they are all really nice

I have a Shun 8" chef's knife and it will be the first of many. It is silly sharp, keeps an edge, and the thinner blade handles delicate chopping chores better than most of the European brands.

Josh

Check these out, pic didn't come through but email Mike Mooney at [email protected]. Tell him Doug in Colorado sent you. I have several of his hunting knives and they're top notch. Here's a description of the set of 4.

This chef's set won Best Kitchen Cutlery Set at the Professional Knifemakers Association Denver Custom Knife Show. Hand-rubbed satin finished blades of S30V steel will hold an edge beautifully. Handles are double-dyed, stabilized box elder burl wood with mosaic pins. A 2 3/4" paring knife, 6 1/2" boning knife, 9 1/2" chef knife and 8" serrated bread knife are all you need for every kitchen task. Price: $1250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Global Knives, there is no substitute and these are also the preferred knives of Gordon Ramsay.

European knives such as J. A. Henckels or Wusthof, Global knives as most Japanese style knives are made from a significantly harder alloy of steel, use a thinner blade thickness, and can be sharpened to a more acute angle. This produces a sharper knife which keeps its edge longer and allows for more accurate work. Global recommends sharpening with a whetstone or ceramic tool rather than an electrical grinder.

<a href="http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/global-10-piece-knife-block-set/?pkey=e%7CGlobal%2B10-Piece%2BKnife%2BBlock%2BSet%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Global 10-Piece Knife Block Set
</a>
4e8b017c1a6753.29644835.jpg
</div></div>

Global makes an awesome knife. I have one (the top knife in the picture) Eventually I'd love to have the whole set.

I have the top Global knife as well. You can't go wrong!

I have a full set of Cutco. Never had to have them sharpened. You can buy just what you need. Have had them for about 25 years. Also have their fillet and pocket knives. All still sharp as day 1.