• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I need 1 pistol

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I just realized that in all of my rifle building I have sold off every pistol I own to finance all my builds. That being said I can't be pistol naked.

My question is if you could only have one pistol what would it be (under $1200 only please, caliber between 380acp up to 44magnum). I will carry as a ccw while in the city and I will carry into the woods when hiking, but the rest of the shooting will most likely be non-competitive sport shooting/plinking.

Thanks for your opinions.

scott

Re: I need 1 pistol

what do you guys think about the cz P01?

Lets include the 22lr just in case you think that might be the best option.

If you are not a "pistol guy" then I would agree that the G19 is as close to a "do all" social pistol as you can get.

If it were me and I could have only one, it would be a 1911 Government Model. It's large enough to shoot very well, thin enough to carry concealed easily, and powerful enough to dissuade most things you find in the woods from eating you (although a bear might still be pissed enough to take a bite).

I carry a Combat Commander daily for my off-duty gun and use a G21 as my duty weapon so I am kind of partial to the .45ACP.

You should of bought my Para P-15 40s&w.It's sold but only because I have an STI Edge I like better.
    DSC00102.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

Sounds like a mid size would suit your needs.Better get something light weight like the polymer framed pistols.I like the S&W/M&P best.An aluminum framed 1911 commander would be a good pistol for carry too.I'm partial to the 40s&w cartridge.You can load it down to 9mm levels or up to darn near 10mm levels.

Steve

I used to be a pistol guy I have shot falling plates and steel alittle bit. I used to have 1911's in 45 and 9mm. also have had most sizes of smith and wesson revolvers from 2" barrel to 8" barrel. I have had numerous 22lr, I am just looking for outside input maybe something I haven't thought about.

After watching my friends and other competitors shoot the CZ pistols over the years and watching constant reliability issues with them,I will never own a CZ 75 type variant.

I have one as well - CZP01 is a good little pistol; although it lacks a "true" safety. IMHO relatively low capacity & low caliber to qualify as a hunting sidearm though.

If you get a Glock 19, Buy the advantage arms .22lr kit for it and get in a bunch of trigger time. Get the standard (not target like I did) kit, because then you can practice in lowlight.

I need at least 2- one for CCW and one full size. Any Glock in 40 would get my vote. It ain't sexy, but it goes bang every time!
    I also like the 10mm in a G29.
    For deep carry, I use a Kahr PM40, a G29 when I can, and a G35 for competition and home defense. I sold off all the others!

I'm not a pistol man either...but I do have a Glock 17 Gen. 1 that pretty much does it all, plinking, comps, personal & home security. I may be looking for something else soon...but in my opinion it will really be hard to beat my old beat up Glock.

alright looks like alot of glock fans. what do you guys think about the springfield xd 9 in either the 3 or 4" barrel I like the grip angle alittle better on the xd than a glock no offense to glocks they just don't seem to fit my hand well.

I own multiple Glocks but if I was reduced to one pistol, it'd be a 1911. Or some other 1911.

I have been reduced to 1 pistol after owning tons of customs and high end stuff over the years , you can all guess what I ended up with right ...... Glock 17

I think Glocks are unsightly abominations but the damn thing just seems to keep on working with little or no maintenance and thats what its all about .

I've only heard good stuff about Springfield's XD line. I personally would go with the .40 as opposed to the 9mm. Actually, I'd be more apt to go with the .45, but that's just me.

IMO I hate the .40 cal round...I had a paraordnance pxt 40 and an xd tactical 40 shot them both a bunch and realized I didn't care for the round both were decent guns but both are gone. Personally for $1,200 you could either get one nice 1911, or a glock 21 and a beretta m9, and have money left for ammo. I'd opt for the nice 1911 in 45 or 10mm. The recoil impulse of a 45 is a really nice recoil...its like a slow push rather than a quick jerk of the gun like a 40. I'm much faster with a 45 than a 40 but maybe that's just me.

I think you could do most of what you needed to do with a Springfield XDM in .40. It's large enough for good shooting but small enough to conceal sometimes. I have a friend whose only two pistols are an XDM .40 and a .357 with a barrel that looks 2 feet long. He CCW's it and plans on shooting USPSA with it. Great gun, and accurate.

I really wouldn't feel too bad if the only pistol I had available was my carry-size 1911. It carries very well obviously, but it also shoots very well. I ended up loaning out my fullsize and shooting the little gun in this year's Practical Marksman's Challenge, I think I finished second in the pistol portion out of 50 competitors with it. It shoots great, you're just handicapped on magazine capacity.

It sounds like you've been down the road with pistols, you know that it comes down to what you like best and what works best for you.

The thing I don't care for with the XD,Sig,HK is the bore axis is higher than Glocks and 1911's.This causes these guns to recoil more up than back and induces more muzzle flip.

Steve

How about the M&P 9mm I haven't heard anything about those. or any revolvers, nobody would go for a good old 357 mag?

Most people put value on the proven track record (Glock vs. recent "knock-offs"). Model 19 is easier to conceal (although it's fat as hell like most Glocks) and is not far behind model 17 in other areas than reliability.

1911, especially Commander length, is more comfortable to CCW than Glock. This is mostly due to the slimmer slide. Some Kahr models could also serve you well.

For 357, you're in trouble if you want to combine CCW and decent performance (barrel length). I'm sure the muzzle blast will scare off most assailants, urban or otherwise...

A Glock 20 could be a good all around pistol. The 10MM loads are pricey but if you reload this helps. Plenty of power for protection/hunt and if your hiking has good power for dangerous aminals you could come across on the trail. Given you look at different loadings for each purpose and find the best for each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing I don't care for with the XD,Sig,HK is the bore axis is higher than Glocks and 1911's.This causes these guns to recoil more up than back and induces more muzzle flip.

Steve </div></div>

I hear this a lot, but I think it's one of those internet legends that people read and then just pass on. No doubt the bore axis is very slightly higher, but I think its effect on shooting is dramatically overstated. I've fired the XD 45 tactical and the full size Glock 45 (21?) side by side on many occasions and have never noticed any difference in recoil or the time it takes to get the gun back on target. Both are accurate, and both are reliable in the extreme. What I have noticed is that the Glock trigger sucks salty donkey balls as it comes from the factory (but is easily and cheaply tuned), the Glock grip angle is not to my liking, and the Glock trigger guard is in my opinion and for my taste too small. In other words, as far as I'm concerned the choice between XD and Glock comes down to personal preference like almost everything else.

In order of preference, but all are perfectly acceptable and will serve you well.

Springfield or Kimber 1911
    Sig 239,229,220
    HK USP
    Springfield XD40 or XD45
    Browning Hi Power in 40SW
    Beretta 92
    Glock

Any will do very well indeed. Recoil differences between all these are negligible to me. I'd try several & pick the one with the best hand fit/points most naturally for you.

As Chuff said, some people dislike triggers on stock Glocks. (Same can be said of XDs, but both can be easily remedied. Springfield does especially nice XD custom work.)

Also, if you have big hands G19s and 23s & similiar frame sized Glocks can cause you to pinch the heel of your dominant hand on fast reloads if you're not careful and loosen your grip a bit as you insert a fresh mag. Happened to me with a G23 years ago. It now belongs to my sister.

Bigger bullet=better to me, so order of caliber preference is: 45, 10mm, 40SW. I'd rather not carry a 9mm.

Good Luck

PS- For crack of your ass absolutely can't get caught with it CCW, a USP Compact, or a Sig 239 is hard to beat. G26s and 27s also very good, but some people hate the abbreviated grip...highly subjective. I'll take a full size or nearly full sized grip every time due to my big hands.

Glock vs everything else recoil argument is horseshit. Only if you're a Rob Leatham/Bruce Piatt level shooter, will you maybe see/feel a difference.

My .02

I handled a springfield micro today which is the old style with 3" barrel and really liked it. pointable like a 1911 should be but without all the weight and size.

Here is adifferent approach...

Buy a S&W model 65 or 66 with a 3-4" barrel. Its stainless, can go in the truck and never rust, has plenty of power to kill what ever needs killin and can still be carried concealed. At the price, you will have plenty of change to buy an auto if you want or .357 ammo, speed loaders, reloading press etc etc.

Something to chew on

fast eddie sends

I love hearing everybodys take on a subject it opens your eyes to things you may not have thought about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve903</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS- For crack of your ass absolutely can't get caught with it CCW, a USP Compact, or a Sig 239 is hard to beat.
    </div></div>

I don't buy that at all. Both of those guns are very blocky and thick. If you have to conceal it, you definitely want a thinner gun than these two.

My vote is for a an M&P. Mine has a way better trigger than my Glock.

I love 1911s, but if I could only have one pistol, I'd probably choose a wonder nine over a 1911 because it is cheaper to shoot.

If I could own only two, though, a 1911 would be the second one, in the 5" flavor.

The 1911 is certainly easier to carry concealed than any double stack 9mm or .40 if the correct holster is used.

I owned 2 Glocks... Fucking hated them... POS weapons that felt like I was playing with my kids toy guns.... Would never buy one again.... POS and ugly as sin....

My choice in 9MM... CZ75 BD Police Model;;;;;;;;;;; Superb weapon

Kimber .45ACP :::: Custom 2 Target:::::

+1---, Again:

<span style="font-weight: bold">GLOCK 19 if you prefer 9x19/9mm</span> only w/:
    - Speer Gold Dots 124grn. +P
    - Federal HST 147grn.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">Also if you prefer .40:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">GLOCK 23 .40</span>
    * Can always use a <span style="font-weight: bold">9mm Conversion Barrel,9mm Mags </span>for plinking/training.

-or-

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sig Sauer 229 .40</span>
    * Can always use a <span style="font-weight: bold">9mm Conversion Barrel,9mm Mags</span> for plinking/training.

<span style="font-style: italic">* Glock and Sig Sauer both have <span style="font-weight: bold">.22lr kits</span> as well, basically a total of FOUR Calibers in one: .22lr, 9x19/9mm, .357Sig, .40S&W
    </span>

But,.........<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"TO EACH HIS OWN"</span></span></span>
    smile.gif

Have a great one,
    FTK

I know this isn't tacticool, but my choice is a S&W model 19 in 357 mag. Or a S&W 686 both in the 4 inch fodder.

Plenty of power and will always work
    You can load the 357 to full power and stop most anything within reason.
    Load down to the 38's and use for small game and plinking

Very versatile and effective

I started with a Browning High Power which was a great pistol and reliable but it didn't make major cal.Then bought 1911's but back then it seemed like they didn't know how to make em work reliably,(15-20 years ago).Then went to a Glock22 and later a G33 which are great pistols and reliable.I had the first G22 in town and was on a long winning streak because I had high capacity and it made major.Those 1911 guys couldn't reload fast enough,haha.Then I had DR Middlebrooks build me a stock class STI 2011 in 38 Super for the American Handgunner World shootoff.Ahh....What a pistol!!!Not good for carry though.
    Unfortunately anymore I have been ruined,"spoiled" by the STI/SVI 2011's.Especially 40s&w.
    When I shoot any other pistol I can't help but make an instant comparison.They just feel like toys.
    I'm into local USPSA type combat pistol match shooting and notice muzzle flip between different pistols(HK,Sig,XD)right away.So for me anyways It's not something I read on the internet.But most people probably wouldn't care or know the difference.
    I forgot to mention earlier that I also like my friends KAHR pistols, a good size for carry but not fun to plink with.Too much recoil.

Steve

interesting to hear a glock basher. I am heavily leaning towards a 3 or 4" barrel 1911 preferably in 9mm. para ordnance has a few that I really like.

any info on the para's would be nice, I always like to get at least one person't opinion before purchasing since I will have to order it.

thanks scott