• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I Need a Break From Bolt Guns

my human host

miasma
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Marshall area, MN
Like the title says, getting a little burned out on tinkering with bolt guns and could use a temporary distraction.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards putting together a 1911, though I have little experience with them. Could use a good carry pistol.

What do you fellas enjoy working on besides bolt guns and why?

Don't know if you have one but an AR is a pretty good erector set. Simple enough with endless variations and quite a bit easier than scratch building a 1911.

If you elect to go with a 1911 I'd recommend Jerry Kuhnhausens books and make sure you buy some spare parts. You usually ruin a few learning to fit them.

Last edited:
I talked to a guy at the local range who's a benchrest shooter and recently put together a 1911 from a Fusion kit. It looked like a good way to go. He was able to buy a Frame/Slide/Barrel kit and fit the remaining parts.

Don't know if you have one but an AR is a pretty good erector set. Simple enough with endless variations and quite a bit easier than scratch building a 1911.

If you elect to go with a 1911 I'd recommend Jerry Kuhnhausens books and make sure you buy some spare parts. You usually ruin a few learning to fit them.

LOL. Yeah, what he said. My thoughts, exactly.

I'll check into the Fusion kit. Thanks for the tip.

The need for hand fitting doesn't scare me much, though obviously there's a chance I could wreck some shit. I'm guessing that even the best have a drawer or two full of parts that serve as a reminder to be patient and keep both eyes open. I have a few bolt gun parts I keep around to remind me of what happens when I get careless.

Got lots of research to do. Appreciate the input, guys. Keep it coming.

I'm really partial to 1911's. AR's are fun as well. Once I save up the cash I plan on putting together a 1911 in 10mm. I've been looking at caspian frame and slide. I have a list of all the parts I wanna use now I just need the cash.