• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a cigar education!

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I've been enjoying some good cigars lately, but admittedly, I have more dollars than sense. I generally go by the price, but would like to know better what the hell I'm doing. Tonight I enjoyed a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Toro. Not crazy expensive, but I really enjoyed it! Last weekend I had a Cohiba Robusto and it was decent, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much. I've enjoyed a number of other good (expensive) cigars recently including a number of Cubans and Dominicans while I was in the Dominican at the beginning of the month, but I now realise I should have been keeping notes, as I don't recall which I enjoyed more than others etc.

So I need an education about what to look for and what makes a great cigar, and which ones to check out. I'm hoping you all can help!

A pic of tonights Rocky Patel, to get things started:

20130531_183422_zps8486610a.jpg

Rocky Patel's cigars are pretty good. I think he has another line called Indian Tabac; the "super fuerte" maduro is top notch.

You don't have to buy expensive Davidoffs and Cohibas to enjoy a really good cigar. Try out the Padron Maduro, either the 2000 or 3000. If you want to splurge, get one of the 1964 Anniversarios.

Although its on the bold side, Punch Gran Puro is great too.

For Cubans, the flagship in my opinion is Montecristo #1. Another good one is Romeo and Julieta #1. They won't break the bank like a Cohiba will but taste great.

Cigars... my second love after rifles.

First, a word on Cuban cigars: unless you're getting them at duty free places where you KNOW they're real and you have time to let them age, they're not worth the money. All of my Cubans get at least six months in my humidor to mellow out before I'll even touch them. Quite a few sticks have been in my humidor over three years. Here are my favorite Cuban cigars if you must have them:

1. Cohiba Behike 54s
2. Partagas Serie P No. 2

Great cigars are coming out of DR, Nicaragua, and Honduras. My favorite lines right now are:

1. Drew Estate Liga Privada (No. 9s, T52s, and Feral Flying Pigs)
2. Camacho Triple Maduros
3. Oliva V Perfectos
4. Surrogates Skull Breaker and Bone Crusher

These are all solid cigars that have high quality control, excellent blends, and are overall fantastic smokes. However, you may hate these because cigars are a very personal thing. My advice to you is to get to know your local brick and mortar cigar store owner and try out a bunch of cigars, keep the bands that you like, and try to hone your palate so that you get six or so cigars that are dead center in your wheelhouse. Switchblade on this forum also gave me some of the best advice I ever got on cigars: buy three at a time. Smoke one immediately, smoke another in a month or so, and smoke the last a few months from now. That will tell you if you're really like it. I'm sure he'll chime in on this thread as well.

Thanks for the good start to this thread, guys! Sounds like I need to buy a humidor? I've been thinking so as well. I'll try to figure out what I've had recently, though it's tough to piece back together as my wife has thrown out the bands I've saved.

I do remember having a numer of Cuban Cohibas in the Dominican. Nothing amazing, EXCEPT this one HUGE cigar I had. I expected it to be too much, but I laid on the beach with that big bastard enjoying every minute of it. And there were a lot of minutes on that one. I wish I knew what it was, all I know is that it came in a little wooden "box" with a Cuban "dollar bill" label on it.

I buy quite a few sticks from Cigars Intl in PA. Good prices, quick shipping and lots of good deals and sales. As prices here locally are INSANE, we have a high tobacco tax.

Can't go wrong with anything from Rocky Patel. CI had a sale 3 or 4 years back and I bought TWO, 100 cigars to a box, boxes of Patel Edge. IIRC they were $2.30 a stick.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a great cigar. Lots of deals out there.

I'd suggest simply trying a lot of cigars and keeping track of what you liked and what you didn't. I like maduro's, medium to full in strength. But all the same I still enjoy something light occasionally as well.

Some of my favorites; Patel's, anything from Padron, especially their Anniversary series, Oliva, Sancho Panza, and Perdomo.

therrres a few good cigar forums too.

FN in MT

I really enjoy the Kristoff Criollo's, Drew Estate Liga Privadas, Oliva Serie G and Serie V, and Punch Rare Corojos.

I used to smoke Fuente Hemingways regularly, but lean more towards a fuller bodied stogie.

I enjoyed a number of Cubans in Germany. A very large number.

While they are nice, the Churchill-sized Cohibas really didn't have the punch that I got when I fired up a Churchill-sized Davidoff. I also had a Cuban cigar that supposedly came from one of Saddam's humidors that wasn't really anything special, so there's a yeah and nay across the board when it comes to Cubans.

I've recommend Dominicans, Nicaraguans, and I haven't tried the Hondurans yet, I don't remember if I have or haven't, so I can't speak on them, yet.

Good luck.

I'm a maduro guy.

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro (good price, awesome rich flavor, a bit full bodied)
Cusano 18 paired Maduro (2 wrappers, good price, smooth)
Arturo Fuente Anejo Maduro (kind of pricey as they are only released once or twice a year; great cigar)
Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro (expensive but best cigars I've ever had)

If I can be of any help let me know. Here is a link to our Cigar 101 page Cigar and Pipe 101. It is very introductory but gives some good insight into the makeup etc of cigars. Take a look through the website but keep in mind that does not even touch our inventory. Feel free to call one of the locations all our managers are extremely knowledgeable. We are one of the lowest taxed states and will ship anywhere you like. While we might not be as cheap as one of the big box stores, I think you will find very competitive pricing. We are the largest tobacco retailer in the state of Alabama so we tend to get inventory you may not see other places and our humidors are closely regulated unlike some of the big box stores.

As a side note. While cubans are good (and I have had my fair share) tobacco grown in nicaragua is giving the cuban tobacco a run for its money and some think it is better.

Cuban - Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona.

Opus X - nice but hard to find.

Romeo y Julieta Special Reserve. Also good.

I tend to like Maduro.

quark

After 45 years of trying the latest cigars, I have gotten down to these. In no particular order. The cigar is dictated by the bourbon I pour.
Padron 1926 40th anniversary
Esencia
Kristoff Maduro
Antano 70
Shaggy Madruo
Gurkha Royal Reserve
601 Blue
Any double Ligero La Flor Dominicana
Ghurka legend
Diamond Crown Maximus

Chime in Switchblade.

^^^ What he said

We have tried many of the same cigars, most of the new releases as they came out, and came to one big conclusion. They are all mediocre at best, no more than training wheels for younger inexperienced palates that know no better.

I second this list:

Padron 1926 40th anniversary
Esencia
Kristoff Maduro
Antano 70
Shaggy Madruo
Gurkha Royal Reserve
601 Blue
Any double Ligero La Flor Dominicana(includes L, and DL series maduro/oscuro)
Ghurka legend
Diamond Crown Maximus

And add:

La Flor Dominicana Reserva Especial Jocko no1
Camacho Triple Maduro(for taste notes the above listed do not offer)
Cuban Bolivar
Cuban Monte Cristo

In the five years I ran a small global based business dealing with cigars,(I read ALL the books, spoke to the best manufacturers directly and spent days and hours on the phone learning EVERYTHING except how to farm it. John Drew, Steve Saka, Charlie Torano, and a few others all killed cell phone batteries talking to me over the course of four years plus, but in the first year, they all gave me the best insight and education the cigar businessman could get, directly from the source.
I tried and found more crap than my palate could handle. Going to 45 years of experience and a few others guided me toward some of the better choices, and allowed me to more directly figure out which new ones would actually be worth trying. These days, I just look at them, locate the reviews for them and look very hard at the reviews to see what they have in common. It is these common notes of flavor, body, and essence that will show what the cigar really is all about. Many reviewers are not focusing on the real deal, just what they are given by the maker. Some magazines will offer good reviews and some don't. AS I said, read them all, look for what they have in common. That list up above, don't go out and buy them. It will only raise their prices. Find something else to smoke ;)

Last edited:
I don't even know if they make them anymore, but they go really good with strong espresso....

Felipe Gregorio Bellicoso, and the Felipe Gregorio Bellicoso Torpedo...

They were kinda pricey, but worth it...

Hmm.....Maybe I've found something to do later tonight...

Puff.com - Cigar Reviews, Cigar News, Cigar Forums, Cigar Videos, Cigar Interviews and more!

You dont have to spend a lot to get a good cigar. I have a ton of cigars I paid between 2 and 3 bucks for that are great cigars. I have had a bunch of cigars I paid 10-15 for that were terrible.

If you want to setup a big humidor for cheap get a coolidor. Check em out on Puff. Also for humidification media check out the kitty litter thread. The stuff is awesome.

Cigarbid.com....Dont go there, you WILL spend ridiculous amounts of money.

You mean you've never smoked a 47" cigar...

I like Monte cristo when I want something that won't disappoint, otherwise I just buy what looks good, I'll never try them all, especially if I limit my selection out of the gate.

I tend to always come back to a couple faves, Partaga and Macanudo, but I'll readily admit to not being the most knowledgeable or experienced smoker.

I stopped reading when you said you didn't like the Cohiba Robusto. I've smoked cigars since '97 and cover the big Cubans, Dominicans and the Robusto is my favorite. However, some from Nicaragua are showing enormous appeal.

Cigars are a function of your palate, your ability to handle the smoke and as personal as ones taste in food and wine.

My advice would be don't smoke more than one type in an evening and lay off the brandy/scotch so as to really taste the leaf, educate your palate and define your own preference. It's a great learning curve.

A couple of my favorites are the Rocky Patel 1992, Carlos Torano Signature Series, Gurkha Ancient Warrior. I tend to prefer Nicaraguan cigars or something with a maduro wrapper because the wrapper adds a lot to the taste for me. I do enjoy those Cubans, I will admit, but there are numerous other cigars that are excellent. As others have said, you don't have to spend a lot to have a great cigar. You might also subscribe to Tom's Cigar Reviews by a guy named Tom. » Blog Archive » Top Cigars of 2012.

Welcome to your new addiction!

FWIW the Cohiba Robusto I bought was in the top corner hidden away in the smoke shops humidor, and I don't know if it was stored correctly before that, but it didn't have much smell when I took it out of the wrapper, so it may have gone stale at some point or something.

Switch, I checked the list while I was at my local smoke shop, and didn't find anything there on the list. Looks like I need to make an internet purchase...

Oh, and I'll PM you about a humidor.

I was just kidding. Give the Robusto another try. It has a deep woodsy smell and a sting taste so it sounds like yours was dried out.

I was just kidding. Give the Robusto another try. It has a deep woodsy smell and a sting taste so it sounds like yours was dried out.
Yes, it tasted very dried out. Can that be cured with some time in a good humidor, or should I just buy one online for a second try?

I've rescued a couple of dried out cigars but not ones that have zero flex in the wrap. The technique I used was a saturated cloth (distilled water) on a small saucer inside the humidor with the cigars. It temporarily raises the humidity above 75% and allowed the cigar to rehydrate. It took about a week. I removed the other cigars of course. The cigar wasn't 100% but better than a write off.

I'd order another. The Robusto is a perfect 45min smoke IMHO.

if any of you cigar guys want to hook up some deployed soldiers i know of a entire platoon of guys who smoke who are currently overseas that i know personally :D cigars are like baseball cards, and help pass the time between "working out" lol. just a idea ;) had to put it up as its been a topic of discussion as of late.

20130602_155058_zpsc6f4a764.jpg

Todays "experiment:" an A. Fuente Gran Reserva, enjoyed with a glass of Bookers boubon, outside with some ribs in the smoker over apple and alder. EventHorizon- tried to take your advice about enjoying a cigar without a drink, but couldn't bring myself to do it. A compromise: I made the bourbon last for the whole cigar, rather than a couple refills.

This cigar was OK. Very spicy at first, then it mellowed. That is about as advanced as my current palate allows me to analyse without bullshitting. The wrap was weak, I had to keep the label on it until it was half finished and even then it started to unwrap when I carefully removed it.

On the other hand, the bourbon is excellent. Prominent vanilla with a spicy finish. Drank neat, it doesn't taste anywhere near 130 proof.

search "retrohale" to get the full bouquet of the cigar.

Thanks for this post guys, I quit smoking a pipe 23 years ago when my twins were born and just recently started trying to learn about bourbon and nice cigars. Done a lot of testing, if you know what I mean, and realized I've got to go slow on the cigars. I'm glad my local store rates the cigars in strength, I was introduced to smoking cigars a couple of years ago when I started fishing with a new friend. He handed me a cigar and said you smoke? I said sure I used to and I'd like to try it. Wow, I about coughed myself overboard! I am finding a few medium strength, fuller flavor, that I can handle and really enjoy them. I'll poke around on puff.com and learn more. Thanks again!

My advice - Don't smoke the pink ones.

If I am taking the evil weed into my temple it will be Backwoods Black and Milds - smell and taste like pipe tobacco. Not offensive to bystanders, they keep the mosquitos away and they, like me, are cheap.

In their rustic rolling they look like something Clint Eastwood would be drawing on in one of his spaghetti westerns. Of course I am way more bad ass than him when I have one. Too bad my job made use of tobacco a firing offense and my wife wont let me have them.

Last edited:
If the wrap was coming off thats a returnable offense. Try changing cigar vendor. Don't make your first humidor a self build. You can get effective and value for money one easily. Learn what you like, how often you smoke and that will tell you your real humidor needs.

Personally, I like a full bodied, earthy Cabernet (not a CA fruit bomb) or even a Barolo with my smokes. Scotch is a close second but it has to be mild (Glenlivet Nadurra is the current favorite).

If the wrap was coming off thats a returnable offense. Try changing cigar vendor. Don't make your first humidor a self build. You can get effective and value for money one easily. Learn what you like, how often you smoke and that will tell you your real humidor needs.

Personally, I like a full bodied, earthy Cabernet (not a CA fruit bomb) or even a Barolo with my smokes. Scotch is a close second but it has to be mild (Glenlivet Nadurra is the current favorite).
I am new to Bourbon but have been enjoying scotch for quite some time. I have a bottle of Balvenie 21 that would go perfect with a cigar, though the 15 year single barrel is still my favorite.

Why am I suddenly thirsty and looking for a lighter...?

Enjoy mate, may you always have your smokes and glass in good health.

IMHO
Only Maduro Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur.....Romeo and Juliet Special reserve or a R&J #1 Padron, Carlos Turano

As for the refreshment. John Powers

Mother MacLaughlins magic elixir, garanteed to cure the hives, the jives, the green apple shits, and make childbirth a pleasure.

I am new to Bourbon but have been enjoying scotch for quite some time. I have a bottle of Balvenie 21 that would go perfect with a cigar, though the 15 year single barrel is still my favorite.

Other good Bourbon's to try are Blanton's, Basil Hayden's, and Buffalo Trace. I don't know how you were able to drink the Booker's neat. I always have to water it down a tad.

+1 ... I do this with my pipes, you get sooooooooooooo much more flavor and notes doing it this way. I usually only keep about a 1/4 of the smoke in that I originally had before I retrohale. Too much smoke will burn your nosrils (sp) it doesn't do anything to your nose senses but it is irritating.

Swisher Sweets and Hurricane malt liquor. Mmmmmmmmm

The next best thing to that is a carton of pall malls and a case of natty light.

Ah yes. I just searched it. I have been doing it the last couple of cigars after reading an article, I just didn't realize it was called retrohaling.

One you have a idea of what you like find a good deal on boxes of "Seconds". These are cigars that have some sort of blemish, normally I have a hard time finding any problem with them.

Hardmix

Hypothetically, if one were to take a trip over the border to Quebec, and pick up some cigars, what would be the best medium to transport them in? And how long will they keep? I don't have my humidor up and running just yet.

They sell cigar bags which are nothing more than a freezer bag with printing on it. You should be able to use one of these for week I would think without a problem.

Ben

Hypothetically, if one were to take a trip over the border to Quebec, and pick up some cigars, what would be the best medium to transport them in? And how long will they keep? I don't have my humidor up and running just yet.

I wont say to do anything illegal and cigars in Canada are VERY expensive due to their 40% tobacco tax.

However: ETA: if this photo shows up GIANT for anybody else, I apologize, photobucket blows.
IMG_20130603_191725.jpg

Had that in Ottawa, Canada the other evening. Montecristo #2. Was $30. Most of the Cohiba's were $40+... I smoked that bitch to a finger/lip burning finale.

And for general cigar transport I recommend a Herf-A-Dor. They are pelican cases that are setup for cigars. I have a 5 stick one that I travel with weekly.

if any of you cigar guys want to hook up some deployed soldiers i know of a entire platoon of guys who smoke who are currently overseas that i know personally :D cigars are like baseball cards, and help pass the time between "working out" lol. just a idea ;) had to put it up as its been a topic of discussion as of late.

I'm on the road for the summer Joe otherwise I would help out again.

balthasar no worries man, lol it was appreciated like crazy. I am smoking a nice Padron right now from Fredo, not goin to lie its amazing.

Give me a bit to get some stuff ordered. I am not saying it will be the best stogies on the planet, but I dont mind buying a couple bundles for some deployed guys. If anybody wants to throw some cash in on this I will do the buying and shipping.

How did the nameless cigar compar for you Joe? Some of my favorite go to cigars come from that place.

I lit em up with a few friends, i honestly don't remember. I just got myself a nice Xikar travel humidor, keeping cigars in plastic ziplock bags just ain't cutting it anymore. lol. RJ, You really don't have to man, i was half joking. The thought it much appreciated. its funny to watch guys get cigars in the mail and watch the guys trade em out like trading cards, back and forth. Cigars are a great time killer and calms the nerves. I know the guys appreciate the kindness. I'm a social smoker, I'm not likely to smoke by myself usually. Lighten one up in a circle of friends, well there isn't much that is better then that.