• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I Need A Good Machete

I just got a SOG SOGfari 18" machete from midwayusa for $20. It has a pretty good blade as well as saw teeth on the back of the blade. The saw isn't as good as a dedicated hand saw, but handy none the less. The grip is really comfortable too, it's anti slip rubber.

I was mulling over this same topic. I'd go with either a ESEE Junglas or Lite Machete, depending on what your needs are. When faced with the same question last week, I went for a LM.

For the price vs performance, I have several from Cold Steel. I had a Gerber Grylls model in my hand till I saw CHINA. I believe cold steels are made in Brazil. A small difference maybe, but a difference in my eye.

I would recommend an Ontario in your choice of length. Then put a good convex edge on it.

Talk to Benjamin at [email protected]. There are many styles for different purposes and they are not just bigger knives. For one, they do not use exotic steels; for another, they need not be expensive.

I use Tramontina machetes. They're cheap and super durable. Bought a Tramontina knife set for the ex-wife about 20 years ago and while she's gone the knives are still here. Very durable stuff.

Do not get the SOG or Gerber...both are a piece of shit. They're OK for thin vine type stuff but the moment you start getting into thumb size limbs, forget it, they both end up with dinged up edges.

If you are getting into the heavier stuff, saplings and thicker limbs, try the K-Bar Cutlass. The blade is very thick and meaty, nice heft to blast through shit. I hacked down to small four inch pine saplings that were blocking a shooting lane from my stand. Had it for almost four years now and still haven't put a stone to the blade for sharpening.

Cheers,
Breeze

What are you going to cut/do with it. I have many machetes and have found that depending on the job, I will pick one over another.

100% of the first decision you make with one of these is whether or not it is comfortable in your hand and will not slip and every other consideration is secondary. Hence my advice is not to buy anything unless you can put your paws around it and confirm it meets that criteria. Based on my experience, just because it carries a good name does not mean it will be useful. If you are going to be wearing gloves in the field, have them with you when you try it out.

Thanks for the replies. The machete would be used for cutting trees 4 inches or small. I have a tomahawk I use most of the time that works very well but sometimes a machete is better. I really like the Esee junglas but where is the best place to buy one. The price on them seems to vary and they are also hard to find.