• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a new house vac.

Re: I need a new house vac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Spoken authoritative and passionate from man most likely not confident of his own manhood . Is that why you feel the need to remind others not to forget to wear there Apron ? Or is it because you prefer your men wearing aprons while you watch them Vacuum ?
Bear Pit = General Site Discussion, please refrain from posting political or religious topics.
' General Site Discussion' for shooters and there thoughts. HMmmmmm, I wonder what that means ?
If your are offended with Vacuum equipment info asked for and advice given . feel free to Not clik-on this Thread in the ' General Site Discussion' area and read it . so Go fuck yourself and cry somewhere else to others that might give a flying rats ass to what you don't like to read about .
.</div></div>

Oooh, someone's a bit touchy. Is it that SPECIAL time of the month for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus H. Christ, sweepers?!

This site is for precision shooting. Go search Consumer Reports. Maybe pick up the latest copy of Good Housekeeping.

Don't forget your apron! </div></div>

Interesting how you think we really give a fuck what your newbie ass thinks! Apron? really? You just lowered yourself more in 1 post than Maser did in the last year. Im the man in my house, I spend the money on everything for the house, so you bet your ass Im going to do my research to buy quality items so I dont end up spending money on the same item in the near future, whether its a vac, or otherwise.

Now take your macho ass back to arfcom you fucking tool!

Ah, I see your menstrual cycles have synch'd up.

Won't tangle with that.

Carry on with the mopping & sweeping, ladies.

tullius,

dude, what you don't understand is that...some of the guys on this forum have actually made kills with their sweepers. i'm not mentioning any names.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tullius,

dude, what you don't understand is that...some of the guys on this forum have actually made kills with their sweepers. i'm not mentioning any names. </div></div>

I sent mine to ARP for the latest in ARPBoodieFlage so it looks good when I vacuum in the nude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another solution - put hardwood floors in.

I did hardwood in my kitchen and dining room and wouldn't go back.

Sure you gotta sweep once a day with a dust mop broom - takes 1 minute...

Warm on the feet, looks better than carpet, and every day you sweep it you can say "This would have been INSIDE my carpet???".

I'm going to finish the living room in the same high dollar wood some day, bamboo for my room...</div></div>

My house was a fixer upper that previously had a drug addict as a caretaker to his mentally challenged brother, who got that way by a life of drug use. The house was an absolute wreck and the nastiest thing I've ever seen. So nasty in fact, we ended up having to take down drywall in some rooms because we couldn't get it clean enough to paint. The only pleasant suprise of the whole thing was that when we pulled up the carpeting, the whole house was covered in white oak floors that were salvagable with the exception of the dining area that had buckled almost a foot due to a leaky window. The good thing about hardwood floors is that they are easy to clean. The bad thing about them is that if you don't keep them clean you will see every ball of dust in your house. After having hardwood floors in the whole house, I can't imagine how much dust is imbedded in the carpets of houses that don't have them, even if they look clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ben777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well said brother.
laugh.gif

I am almost tempted to start putting down laminant flooring throughout the whole house. And then I could just buy one of the cheap jobs that has the clothe on the bottum. Swifer or Swifter. Whatever they are called?

I swear if I ever build a new house it will have wood floors and walls. So I can just mop the whole house.
cool.gif
</div></div>

If I build it's going to be stained concrete. Don't get me wrong, I love my hardwood floors, but I have dogs and their nails aren't doing the floors any favors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus H. Christ, sweepers?!

This site is for precision shooting. Go search Consumer Reports. Maybe pick up the latest copy of Good Housekeeping.

Don't forget your apron! </div></div>

Interesting how you think we really give a fuck what your newbie ass thinks! Apron? really? You just lowered yourself more in 1 post than Maser did in the last year. Im the man in my house, I spend the money on everything for the house, so you bet your ass Im going to do my research to buy quality items so I dont end up spending money on the same item in the near future, whether its a vac, or otherwise.

Now take your macho ass back to arfcom you fucking tool!</div></div>

fuckin' funny +1

There are a few members you might consider for the job. Some of them suck way harder than anything on the market. Their exhaust cycle won't be nearly as pleasant.

I have hardwood floors, so we use a Shark Steam Mop. For wood, linoleum, etc it is the business. Otherwise, the Dyson is amazing. (That is second hand from other family members.)

Josh

Minor Damage - elaborate - steam mop?

I usually use Murphy Oil soap but I noticeed my hardwood is darker where I do this than where the throw rugs are (I occasionally removve them and mop)...

What do you all use for hardwood cleaning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Minor Damage - elaborate - steam mop?

I usually use Murphy Oil soap but I noticeed my hardwood is darker where I do this than where the throw rugs are (I occasionally removve them and mop)...

</div></div>

I usually just broom the dirt into a corner with a dust mop and hit it with the shop vac. Every now and then I have a cleaning lady clean the place up since she does a much better job than I care to do. She uses something called "hardwood floor cleaner", not sure who makes it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Minor Damage - elaborate - steam mop?

I think it depends what kind of finish is on your hardwood. We used a commercial grade sealer, then about three coats of industrial grade finish on ours ten years ago. War dept. uses Murphys and on occasion Pinesol. No change in color yet.

</div></div>

I got a Dyson D14 for $299 @ Tuesday Morning; but its always useful to have something like Hoover's "The Boss" for $60 with the bag to do things like suck up spider eggs. There are times were it's nice to have a bag to toss.

</div></div>

Breakfree for day to day and Butch's Bore Shine on heavy traffic days

ArcticLight,

We still go back over the floor with Murphy's or otherwise. The floors in the house have been here for a while (at least the 50's) and were well sealed. You can google a demonstration if you like, but here is the basic gist:

It uses an absorbent cloth and steam to clean. The steam is generated as you push and pull the mop across the floor. It is emitted through the cloth and onto the floor. As a result, it brings up stuff our swiffer wet jet could never attempt to get. It always amazes me how dirty the cloth is even after we sweep an swiffer.

We have a dog and tend to have friends with kids over frequently. It makes me feel better to know how clean the floors are and that the steam killed any germs that may be lurking.

Here's a quick video. I had heard it could be a fragile piece of equipment, but that apparently is only if you are Lou Ferrigno. I haven't treated it gingerly and i has worked for over a year with zero issues. We mop about once a week.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNPrVVpSuGo&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNPrVVpSuGo&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Josh

</div></div>

I guess you didn't get the memo - Oil Soap is THE LAST THING you want to use on real hardwood floors. Really, NO SOAP is to be used.

White vinegar and warm water is all you are supposed to use on them.

The main reason is so that you can do a finish coat when they start to get warn but you don't need to do a sanding job. The soaps (particularly Murphy's) don't allow the finish to bond to the old finish. It also means that when you do have to sand that you have to clean the crap out of them to get all the oil and soap out of them you can before you sand so that the sanding does not allow the soap to get down in the fresh wood during the sanding process.

http://www.cinhome.com/murphys.html

Regarding the floor being darker where rugs are, this has to do with two things - one, moisture is more easily maintained in the wood when it has a covering over it in a humid environment, and two, the sun exposure causes the uncovered areas to be lighter.

Having restored and lived in historic homes for 17 years I can tell you what expensive high tech machines I use to maintain mine -

- dust mop
- broom
- old bath towels
- bucket with warm water and vinegar
- hands and knees
- elbow grease

Dyson is the only way to go period! The $500 seems totally worth it when you see the results, plus ours has lasted forever and is still going strong!

9H -= the wood is DARKER w here the sun hits it - that's the weird part.

Yeah I do the same tho - a sponge and elbow grease - I'll hit em with the vinegar this weekend - been lazy because of this upcoming layoff and associated stress of...

I am in the janitorial business and would highly recommend an inexpensive Sears type vacuum. Last a long time and tough. Miele etc are designer brands and very expensive and just not very good.

after the advice on this thread i bought i the 11 amp dyson today. its no joke. worth every penny. believe the hype

I got a Dyson for my wife, and the bitching has greatly subsided. I'd call it combat tested. They're great vacs.

The problem with the dyson canister type vacs is that every time you empty it, you breathe a bunch of that crap. I perfer the bag type where you are esentially throwing the filter away and replacing it with a new one each time. We recently upgraded from our 14 year old walmart red-devil that still sucked to a Ricar. The Ricar was expensive for sure, but damn, there is a huge difference, it does an amazing job stripping the pet fur out of the carpet. We got real proof last night when shampooing the carpet which usually produces alot of machine clogging hair...not anymore, no hair clogs, and cleanup of the carpet machine was a breeze. Buy a good machine and keep it for life...

get the dyson , but like someone already posted dont get the animal one. I have had ours for 5 years still going strong.