• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a safe/armory

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    So now I'm at the point that I need a considerable size safe for my guns/papers and other items that need protection. I looked at the liberty (build it yourself) and I really like those. Can someone chime in that has a decent sized safe and provide tips and maybe vendor discounts?

Re: I need a safe/armory

I bought the Liberty Franklin 50 and it's nice and big but I'm gonna have to use the rods to make more room. If you can get the LE discount you can get one hell of a deal. But to be honest the 2K and under safes only stop smash and grabs. When you go check out the liberty's just press on the sides and you will see what I mean. I watched a ton of safe crackin/break ins videos and it's not that hard but unless your storing several thousand $'s worth of diamonds then the lower priced Liberties are adequate. A smash and grab is not going to take the time or energy to get into your safe.

Best advice I can give on safes is this. How much time do you need? Once you hit a certain price point, you are just buying time. If you live in town around people, a cheaper safe probably makes sense. If your house is in the country with no one around for long periods of time, you might want to go a little heavier.

Depending on the size and the price you want to spend, there are many options from Liberty, Cannon, Ft Knox, etc... You can fine tune it online to give you ideas for models and companies, but then go out and view them in person, talking with the individual reps for the companies. That is where you'll get the best idea on what exactly you'll want.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1404749&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a metal shipping container that's like 5'x9' and 7.5' tall.... that's a hell of a safe....lol </div></div>

Except I could get into it in 5 minutes with hand tools.

i've got a liberty (lincoln) 50 cf in granite. was cleaning it yesterday, so i found original sales slip!! bought it in 9/2007 with dry rod, tax, & free delivery came to $2407.48 i might add that already has internal lighting!! think the lights are part of lincoln packag?? been 5 yrs, so i have forgot! would buy another one & and i may!!!

i originally contacted ft. knox & cannon. they never got back with me. check browning too. browning's are more $ but very nice. esp if your putting in nice room?? at the time i wanted a browning, but would have paid $1200-1500 more for the same size. they have nice wildlife murals on brownings. all what u want.

I REALLY suggest Superior Safes' Master Series... I have a local wholesaler near my house than mainly only sells to dealers but after coming in a few times to view their safes decided that they could sell me one... On their showfloor they have several liberties/ Fatboys, etc that have been pried into in just minutes by one person with no special tools... I'm going to by a master 40 (40 cubic feet) weighing just over 1000 lbs , 11 ga steel, 90 min @ 1500 deg. fire, Double welded plate front door, not formed steel like Liberty, that is 5" thick, and active bolts on all 4 sides of the door for a few bucks over $2K, Highly suggest you at least look at one in person before making a decision

I suggest the american security safes over liberty. They are more money but are better quality too.

Approach buying a safe as an "investment" rather than just a purchase. A good safe can be handed down for generations. An extra grand or two doesn't amount to much over 100+ years of protection.
    There are many local or regional safe manufactures that offer as good or better protection than the mass market safes.
    Use caution buying from a manufacturer that will not advertise the safes construction details on the web. I found some companies (cannon) would rather advertise glossy paint and fancy pin striping over what really matters like body thickness and such.
    Consider 10ga body steel the absolute bare minimum. Be wary of "composite" doors, and the number of fancy chrome locking bolts, that doesn't necessarily mean your getting more security.
    Oh yea, avoid Chinese made safes.
    FWIW, I ended up buying a Visalia safe. Check um out!

SturdySafe has some real nice options; they may be worth a look

I have a great liberty dealer near me. I am deciding between the 35 and 50, and Lincoln and Franklin. Wife is choosing the color. Looks like black or burgundy.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

SturdySafe or Ft Knox

Patriot??? give disc. to vets and Mil........owners seem to be happy with em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingweb50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest the american security safes over liberty. They are more money but are better quality too. </div></div>

^^^^^^^^

Truth...Good link to a great video of gun safe security. That video played a huge role in my decision on which safe features I had to have.

If deciding between sizes go as big as possible. Can't stress that enough

I got mine off of craigslist from a nearby town. $350 for a huge cannon safe. Cost me 350 and a pizza to feed my buddies helping me move it.

Regardless of brand, (most are good) get one TWICE the size you need.

I know for a fact a 48 gun Liberty Fatboy Jr will not hold 48 long guns.

Another thing, its a law, that if you get a multi gun safe, the gun you want to use next, will be at the back of the safe.

I use a safe deposit box at a bank for all of my important papers, gold, jewelry and it's only $15/yr but the guns are in two safes at home. My thinking is that the bank is going to be far more secure than any environment I can provide at home.

I also would recommend taking a look at the Superior Safes. Same general price point at the Liberty Safes, but for me it had better bang for the buck.

A few other things to consider...

- Will you move a lot? (I'm AD military...this is a concern)
    - Where will the safe be located?
    - How will the safe be oriented in said location?
    - Will an attacker have the room to use tools on the safe (smaller room=good)
    - Will you be able to anchor the safe? (if they get it on it's back...it's easier to attack)
    - Will it be in a carpeted room? (torches/plasma cutters and carpet don't mix well)
    - Are you in a flood zone?
    - Are you running a security system with audible alarm?
    - Do you have a decoy (low cost guns) display somewhere in the home/location not co-located with your safe?

Check out heritage safes. More money. But are very nice and American made. Also a lifetime warranty from what my dealer told me.

Lonmower, I'm still deciding on a brand. All I have settled on so far is that I need/want big and heavy. Moving isn't an issue. All that are listed so far are awesome safes. And I'm sure will meet/exceed my use for it. I need to find dealers near me so I can see them in person. Its kind of hard to shop for something like this by only seeing small pics on webpages,lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truth</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>
    That was a great video.

If I could do it over again, I'd get an Amsec, especially if I wasn't moving anytime soon.

Top of the line is Graffunder, no question. Be prepared, however, to lay down some cash:

http://www.graffundersafes.com/

I'll throw in another vote for the Amsec safes. Their BF series are exceptionally good safes for the money.

Meth-heads won't be able to pry it open no matter how hard they try, and if it's bolted down it'll be tough for anyone to try to steal the whole thing (although even not bolted down it'd be hard to move at 1/2 ton for even one of the smaller sizes, but a couple guys could still slide that around or drag it with a truck).

Excellent protection against anyone who isn't a professional safe cracker.

(And yes, to echo Lazlo's other comment, Graffunders are exceptional safes but definitely another rung up on the price ladder!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truth</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltK-bDbADa8&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

So in a nut-shell: If you don't spend at least $1200 you might as well not even bother.

The composite doors are a real eye-opener and a major red flag bordering on "scamy".

I bought a Cabellas Guide Series and absolutely love it. Except when we had to move.

If you need a big safe pentagon is a way to go. The owner is a cool guy and will actually talk to you. If you want to beef it up they will do that too.

Best part even the steel they use is made in the USA.

madppcs, know what ur sayin' it is a hard shop! you may be able to find an old out of business retail shop or bank vault and redo the inside. usually a good value!! my uncle has bought a couple like that. only thing is moving them. usually pretty stout!!!

Surprised this hasn't been said already but, whatever you decide, make sure you have a manual vs. digital lock. I have a stack-on fire-resistant, waterproof variant but I had to make sure it had the manual combination lock. I have also had friends who've owned digital safes and they've also needed to call the locksmith. Cheers.

I'm really liking the browning tactical. But shipping is going to kill me on them. I can buy the cannons locally with no shipping.

Cannon's do what they are made to do. They protect children and make it harder for someone to walk off with your weapons, stuff. Most B&E's will not bother with it especially if it's bolted down. Plus, like many models today, cannons have an electrical port to allow the owner to add lights, dehumidifiers, etc. Whichever you go, go safe.

http://www.xgunsafes.com/v/cannon-gun-safes-unbiased-review