• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a specific Muzzle Break or/and Flash Hider!

brooTool

Zor
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
Hesperia, CA
Hello community,

I come to you guys for knowledge again :) I'm having trouble seeing my own shots with my .308, the muzzle rise is too much. I looked at some muzzle breaks and really liked a few but, I'm at a crossroad! I want to soften the recoil but also reduce or remove the flash altogether if possible. Does anyone here know of a break or flash hider that will accomplish both of these tasks? money isn't to much of an issue *( nothing crazy like a 300-400 break LOL). I appreciate all of you who help me :) I have a SWFA SS 16x42. The closer shots are very hard to stay on target, it is VERY IMPERATIVE that I'm able to make swift and clean follow up shots at medium to ELR! Let me know guys :)

APA Little or Fat Bastard brake and Limbsaver recoil pad or a suppressor

JEC Customs makes a very effective brake that has side ports like a badger thruster and three small top ports to helps additionally with muzzle rise. I have one on a 20" .308 and it allows me to see impacts. It also comes with a set of washers so you can time it yourself, no smith required as long as the muzzle is threaded.
Proper fundamentals makes the biggest difference though in seeing hits. Even a braked or suppressed rifle can get away from you if you aren't properly situated to channel the recoil. I believe there are some good videos on YouTube done by lowlight with instruction on "driving the rifle". Maybe in addition to a brake, check them out.

^^^^^^^^^ +1 remember practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

The JP "tactical" brake is very effective. The POF brakes are also very effective.

Proper fundamentals makes the biggest difference though in seeing hits. Even a braked or suppressed rifle can get away from you if you aren't properly situated to channel the recoil. I believe there are some good videos on YouTube done by lowlight with instruction on "driving the rifle". Maybe in addition to a brake, check them out.

I would have to agree, once you practice the proper fundamentals you should be able to see your impacts. I started out long range shooting with prairie dogs and never once had a muzzle brake or suppressor. Once I learned how to drive my rifles properly I was able to spot my own impacts / kills. Now that I have a suppressor I have noticed that I have been lacking on my fundamentals and am becoming more sloppy.

Best brake I have ever used is CSR CLAMP-ON MUSCLE BRAKE. This is currently sitting on a custom built .308 with an 18" barrel. Recoil is minimal, blast is outrageous, and muzzle flash... well I have not noticed any. I am sure it is there, but really I have no need to suppress the flash. My ported suppressor on the other hand; reduces recoil nearly as much, has no concussive blast for other shooters, and really helps with flash and report.

I would have to agree, once you practice the proper fundamentals you should be able to see your impacts.

This is what I though of when I read the OP.

A brake is seldom necessary for 308W when the shooter weighs more than 120 pounds.

If the rifle goes out of control when the thing goes bang, then you have not positioned yourself behind it properly.

Just this last week I ordered a break from Witt Machine in Ft. Garland, Colorado.
It is a clamp on break, you do the measuring, uses loctite, so if you do not want to thread your bbl. I would recommend this one.
It is everything and more as to their advertisement. I mounted it as soon as it got here,[short of the 10-14 day estimate] 8 days from order to delivery.
I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I have only fired 80 rounds with it on, but that was 80 rounds I was very happy with.
Recoil reduction is great and other than 1 or 2 clicks the POI stayed the same. [I think that was me and the break helped me get closer.]
I would highly recommend these guys. Be accurate on how you measure the bbl. and it will amaze you how this fits on.
Regards, FM

I would love to have a suppressor but I live in CA the Communist state LOL! Suppressors are HIGHLY illegal here. When I get down on the rifle I am directly behind it, maybe canted 10 Deg. Both legs are spread for max stability. I am using a 16x fixed scope, so my field of view is restricted, maybe this is why I'm having trouble with follow up shots.

I would love to have a suppressor but I live in CA the Communist state LOL! Suppressors are HIGHLY illegal here. When I get down on the rifle I am directly behind it, maybe canted 10 Deg. Both legs are spread for max stability. I am using a 16x fixed scope, so my field of view is restricted, maybe this is why I'm having trouble with follow up shots.

Lucky for you, I have a house about to go on the market... 16x is a hell of a fixed power scope. If your barrel is already threaded then your cheapest option is a brake. Also curious how far or close are you shooting with that 16x?

Lucky for you, I have a house about to go on the market... 16x is a hell of a fixed power scope. If your barrel is already threaded then your cheapest option is a brake. Also curious how far or close are you shooting with that 16x?

300-700 right now, hoping to get this new rifle out to 1000 yards by the end of winter. I'm looking into reloading my own ammo for better accuracy and consistency :) 200-300 i cant stay on target from recoil. If I don't get my mechanics right then I get off target even further out.

I barely have any dope on this new rifle. So I am kinda shooting in the blue atm. I am trying to find a load that is perfect for my rifle, which is the reason I am going to get into reloading; plus I will save A LOT OF MONEY :)