• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm getting ready to retire from the Marine Corps and am planning on moving to either Charlotte or Savannah. I just finished with an interview in Savannah about two hours ago...my wife is being flown out for an interview in Charlotte in about two weeks. I expect to be in a position where we will have to choose opportunities. While shooting is not my only consideration, it is a significant part of my calculus (especially since I will be escaping from Kali). Was hoping that anyone with knowledge of the two metropolitan areas could weigh in on the availability of shooting facilities/venues and the health of the shooting community. I appreciate any help as I will factor this into my decision. I'm really interested in hearing about local facilities...I travel for competitions (Camp Perry, Butner, Tactical Comps etc...).

I shoot all types of modern firearms, but shoot rifles almost exclusively...
My interests:
F-Class
NRA mid/long range
NRA Cross the course
Practical/field shooting
three-gun
carbine

Any help will be appreciated!

Speaking of health...not just the shooting community...being retarded from the Corps, you need also to look at which community gives you easiest access to base facilities, medical and dental as well as Exchange and Commissary. Those are a REAL help to the retired lifestyle. (Been there, done that, still doing that.)

wish I could help more, but I live a few hours North of Charlotte. I notice a lot of posts on local gun forums from people in the charlotte area...so it seems there are a lot of shooters in the area. Wish I could be of more help...if there is anything specific I could help you out with as far as trying to find more info lmk

Both areas are awesome. North Carolina is one of the best states for shooting, IMHO. So many current and retired military that there are always people holding comps. If you like mountains, then I'd go a little west of Charlotte and get a nice spread. If you're a beach/ocean kind of guy, then you can't go wrong with Savannah.

Thanks for the feedback! Are there any credible threats to firearms freedom/ownership (California/Northeast) or are gun rights pretty safe (Texas, Arizona)?

Last edited:
IMHO I'm not sure I feel comfortable using the word "safe" and gun rights in any state these days, but I believe things are relatively safe here. It seems that when rights are in danger, folks tend to come out and voice there opinions. Seems in the past little bit, the conservative pro-voice has been more vocal. Hope this helps!

May I suggest you look closely at the state income tax difference between the two! NC is a great state, but there have been a lot of "northern born" people move there in the last 30 years, they came with the notion that high taxes are a good thing, SC not so much. Here in TN we are almost state income tax free, 6% on stock and bonds only. Texas is zero on the income tax.

I lived in Gastonia, NC for a while as a high school student. I remember it being a nice place with lots of things to do. It also had a great school system with different high schools offering different things. I also see alot of shooters and some comp's in the Charlotte area. Gastonia is about 30 min's south of Charlotte on I-85. Now this was in the late 80's say 85-89 so it may have changed alot since then. But I really liked the place and would be somewhere I could see myself living at again.

Ken

North Carolina needs to get rid of their damn pistol permits you have to buy from the SO every time you want to buy a new weapon. Oh, and if you want to get a CHL plan on waiting around six months. Three months for your interview appointment to fill out your paperwork, another three months to get it back.

I moved from Cali to NC just over two years ago. First thing I did is join the local firearms forum: Carolina Shooters Club. It has been very useful, and the members have really helped me with just about everything I've needed. There is another forum called North Carolina Gun Owners Club, but it has nowhere the same traffic as CSC. Still a good source.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

I live 1hr 20min North of Charlotte, but you have several gun stores including Gander Mtn. and Bass Pro near by. There are indoor shooting ranges as well along with gun shows. Pistol permits are a NC law and vary between Sherriff of different counties. I-85 and I-77 intersect in Charlotte, so going somewhere is never a problem.
You are welcome to contact me if there is anything that I can do for you. There is Veterans Hospital in Salisbury which is 40min away and several military bases nearby.

Update: We have decided on the Charlotte "area." Looking at Fort Mill now...

semper fi...

fort mill is a good area, but the rax rate is going up from what ive heard from some friends that live down that way. its so close to charlotte many people live there and commute to charlotte for work, they are trying to get some more of the higher earners income. although south carolina is lower than north carolina no matter where you go. gas prices are on average about 30 to 40 cents per gallon cheaper also. you may want to get further out in york county,the york sc area is really nice. lots of country to explore. you will find out rather quickly that the traffic on I77 coming out of fort mill going north toward charlotte is horrendous no matter what time of day it is. there is lots of shopping and just about anything else you want will be close by for sure. i don't if you have kids but there is a big amusement park named Carowinds that is only a couple exits north of fort mill also. Carowinds has a very nice waterpark inside to knock the heat off during these humid carolina summers.

anything else you want to know shoot me a message i will tell you all i know.

Thanks for all of the advice fellas! My wife is flying out this weekend for her interview and will be hooking up with a Realtor on Sunday. I can't wait to get somewhere and hang my hat, involved in a community and make friends I don't have to say goodbye to every couple years. We're looking at Belmont, Davidson and Fort Mill, but the more we look at traffic the less we're inclined to move to SC (after all...traffic is one of the things I'm trying to get away from).

Been moving every couple of years since 1990 (enlisted/college/officer)...so tired of moving and living out of boxes and so looking forward to meeting some of you guys on the range...

If you are trying to get away from traffic, belmont, davidson and fort mill are exactlly where you dont want to be. They can all be considered suburbs of charlotte. I lived in belmont for 7yrs and moved 2 yrs ago to lincolnton. Belmont can be a nice community; but it is very snobbish and uppity. They have this artsy type attitude, very liberal wanna be high society types. It just depends on which area you settle in. There are some very nice new home construction that has taken place within the last few years. The schools are top notch.

If you want to know anything else about the area shoot me a pm. Except for a few years abroad during my time with "uncle sams misguided children" I have lived in this area.