• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need ALOT of help!!!

TheJames

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2009
Arkansas
I've been reading this site for a while. LOTS of great information and very knowledgable people on herel. All the info is greatly appreciated. I've been shooting since I could walk, and somehow still know nothing about shooting
grin.gif
. I'm an avid hunter as well. I just moved to Arkansas about 2 years ago and discovered the competative, "match" world of shooting. Before it was just a kill or a miss. I've aquired another remington 700. It was manufactured in 74 i believe, and its in terrible shape. I'd like to build a fairly serious long range rifle, but keep the weight down if possible. Looks like it'll need some sand blasting(i'm not even sure thats safe to do on firearms) and duracoat. Rust is down into the the metal all down the barrel and the action. I can't get the iron sights off the barrel, but I think it needs a new one anyways. However, I have no Idea what length or twist I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get some pics of this super slow build up. Thanks!

Re: I need ALOT of help!!!

Does it mean something to you? Pass it on to your kid when he is old enough. I have one all the way back to 1850 like that.

Pitted metal is no good for any type of accuracy build.

As CKA said,take it to a gunsmith to see if the action is worth the build it might be pass salvaging if the pitting is to deep.

Play it safe,you can always pickup a used action if you look around pretty cheap thats in great shape.

Thanks for the replys. I'll take it to a smith tomorrow to get the verdict. If all else fails, I've got a great parts gun. I guess I can finish up the tactical .22 now
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fill out your profile </div></div>

what do you mean?

Anyways, I took it to an outdoor shop today where all the gun guru's hang out. Talked to a few guys there and they all said it didn't look too bad. They said that slight pitting on the outside shouldn't affect accuracy at all even at a long range. All the internals look great. This was great to hear because I'd hate to see such a fine rifle go to waste. They gave me a smith's card and said he could buff it, to get some of it out, or smoother, and then moly coat it. I've never heard of moly coat, but I would assume its similar to duracoat. I'm going to let him have it, take it down and clean up the trigger and such. Clean the action and moly coat it. Hopefully I'll have a good foundation to start on. Next is the barrel, and I am clueless as to what I'll need.

Look at the top of the page click on the my stuff tab and look at the edit profile fill out the info in there. Can't help on the building process never done one myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308isgreat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you want to shoot with this rifle? </div></div>

Well I just got set up to reload. I don't know much about shooting farther than 300 yards other than what I've read. I'd like to shoot 5-600 yards and work my way out from there. Really I just want a solid, accurate rifle I can learn about reloading, and shooting with, without having to worry about my rifle being the reason for an inconsistent group. I'll also pop a few deer with it
laugh.gif