• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advanced Marksmanship I need DOPE!!! Snipers please help

Re: I need DOPE!!! Snipers please help

The "Man" taught me to dial for SD at 600 and 800m. Jacob and Frank taught me it's bullshit, and magically my shots at distance became much more consistant.

I had 2 first round hits at 1100y and 1200y that week, not dialing for SD, with a stock PSS. I would just forget that I ever heard about SD.

Your fundamentals need refinement. I would try and find a coach and/or take a class from a reputable source. I know this is the internet, but some of these guys really shoot often, and know what they are saying. Some of them have given you some great advice in this thread.

What I described camomallninja is not a box test. The box test has nothing to do with seeing if your scope is tracking perfectly verticle as you continue to crank in your elevation.

Box test only tests to see if you scope can come back to it's original spot after moving it 4 times to a boxes 4 corners.

Reread your thread title, sorry I'm not a sniper, swat or even a rifle shooter but offered an opinion on what you might check to solve problem.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way Low Light is the commandant trunk hooker in these parts.

good luck
Rthur</div></div>

i had noticed he has gone all pc on us these days...what happened to TH?

Yes, I had that problem too.

Aero Gloss and Sig Dopes were getting expensive and harder to find.

I switched to Min-Wax Brushing Lacquer, and I was all set once again...

Greg

I just got done reloading some rounds and I ll be back at it again this Tuesday

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camomallninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got done reloading some rounds and I ll be back at it again this Tuesday </div></div>

I'll offer a possibility highlighted by your own post about body position. If you don't have your body straight behind the rifle and you're allowing the rifle to rocoil to the right, it can affect your accuracy. Lots of people think the bullet is out of the barrel when they feel the recoil, but thats not the case.

I'd bet when you fire your reticle moves to the right. Which in turn means your legs and torso need to move left.

Check your reticle-bore alignment : if you draw a vertical line from the center of the scope (the cross) to the ground, this line must be exactly in the middle of the bore. If the bore is a little to the left it must aim to the right to hit your POA at 100 yards, then you understand that beyond 100 yards, the bullet keeps flying to the right. And it is possible, too, that the recoil doesn't go straight because of a bad position, and if you have always the same bad position, it compensates itself when zeroing at 100 yards but not at other distances. So, check the rifle canting (even if your reticle looks horizontal) and the recoil, ask a friend to record you with a camcorder, from the right, from the left, from above when you're shooting, so you can see if your gun moves correctly because of the recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your rounds are impacting 3.6 inches to the right only at 300 yrds. I do not persieve spin drift is the problem. I think trigger control, breathing, or somthing behind the stick is causing it. If not must be a extreamly slow round with an extreamly high trist rate.
I honestly dont percieve spindrift a problem at the relitivly close range of 300 yrds in suppersonic rounds. At least not pulling 3.6 inches out of range. 3.6 (1 mil)inches at 500yrds mmmmmmmmm maby. I think maby place the rifle in a sled and see. at least it would tell you if you are flenching or jercking the trigger. If not record riffle info, bullet info, and adjust for impact. </div></div>

Newsflash 1 mil at 500 yards is 18 inches. So your saying that 3 inches at 300 is bunk, but 18 at 500 yards is believable? I think there is a loose nut on the trigger. and are his groups truly 1MOA to the right or is it 1" to the right, I bet the concept of angular measurement is lost on this one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camomallninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I went to this website and filled everything out the best I could.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

But realized the clicks were a bit off I am new at this and here is what I noticed.

at 100 yards I am dead on middle but at 300 it shot about 1MOA to the right! I shot another rifle I have same results 1MOA to the right? There was no wind! so after researching I learned about (Spin drifting) is there a formula for this? I need some pointers.

Thanks guys</div></div>

I remember, when I began my HP journey I experienced what the OP is confused about. My experimentation revealed it was nothing more than not perfecting my NPA.

Reactions: scout0610

check out the shooting app called SHOOTER for android if you have it. the whole spin drift thing is accounted for in this app. the app costs $10 and its well worth it. Put in your gun details with load details then all the variables, done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I'd head to the range, set up a target at 100 yards. Take a 4ft level, draw a verticle line about 3ft tall and near the bottom but a horizontal line. That is your target. Crank your scope down to hit that dead center, crank 1 full turn up, still aim at that same target, crank it one full turn again, shoot the same spot and if you have room do it one more time. I'll venture to say you're tracking off. Just that the scope isn't tracking <span style="font-weight: bold">perfectly</span> verticle as you crank it up.

There is a thread on here somewhere that will help you get that taken care of.
But, I could be wrong. At least something to try that is most often times what is wrong.

Then again, it could be SD, Corri... something or another affect, full moon, UFO flying or possibility of a slight breeze between you and the target you can't see. But since my gun only has a 15" barrel and only shoots out to 1000 yards that don't affect me, they have built in immunity and all that uber elite stuff only affects anything longer than 15 1/2" length barrels
smile.gif

Good luck

Topstrap</div></div>

This is exactly correct. I dont buy a 3" drift at 300 yards and blaming this on spin drift. I think that spin drift is prevalent in extremely high twist rates and longer range shots. Your scope is trailing.

After the shot and recoil, is your reticle near your poi? You may not be holding the rifle correclty but you are consistantly holding it incorrect. I have had this issue, but time behind my gun and education made the issue go away.

My first impression is that your scope is not tracking vertically, but I have to change my mind to how you're laying behind your rifle and Natural Point of Aim like Sterling Shooter mentioned.

Read these threads and you should be good to go after some practice. (Really helped me. TEST: if your bipod hops and is no longer on or really near your POA, you are not lining up correctly.)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232

esp the shooting in the prone position, and also leg and feet placement.

Regards,
DT

Very interesting read.....sounds like some Marky Mark marksmanship shit.