• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need help with Bushnell Elite scope

alee18

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
AZ
Hello folks,

Today I took my Savage axis 223 rifle with Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 model E3940 for the first time. (lightly used rifle, under 100 rounds fired previously and brand new scope with burris signature zee medium rings and factory aluminum bases they look like weaver brand it says 515 on them).

I was shooting at 100 yards using American Eagle 55gr FMJ ammo. The target frame was holding 4 paper targets 8.5x11. I was aiming for the <span style="font-weight: bold">top left </span>target and placed all 4 shots in <span style="font-weight: bold">lower right</span> one.

So I begun to adjust the scope and thats where I messed up. I cranked about 20 clicks UP and 10 clicks LEFT. Didn't see where the shots went I added more clicks UP and LEFT. Then seemed that I was missing the target and <span style="font-weight: bold">I remember reading somewhere that Bushnells knob adjustments are wrong says UP insead of Down and Right instead of Left?</span> So the I started to turn knobs the other direction and then I lost count. <span style="font-weight: bold">Is there a way I can bring this scope to factory settings?</span>

Im competley new to long range scopes and bolt action rifles and was really frustrated today at the range because I could get this set up zero'd.

Re: I need help with Bushnell Elite scope

Bore sight it again and start over.
My way of doing it is to remove bolt, throw a tennis ball in the yard, sandbag the rifle till you can see the ball through the bore. Then adjust your scope to the ball. That will get you close to make zeroing easier. Also take an oversized piece of cardboard for your backer when you go to zero.

Do I need to bore sight it at 100 yards or can I do it in my room size backyard?

So there is no way I can actually reset the adjustment knobs to be back at factory settings?

I have read on here somewhere that you can use a mirror in front of your scope and return the reticle to center. I have never done it and can't find the link on the search. You might start a new post and try to get some help.

Most scopes are shipped optically centered. You can do this by cranking your e;evation all the way down, then cranking all the way up while counting the clicks. Once you reach the top of adjustment go back down half the amount of clicks you counted. Same procedure for windage adjustment. This should result in the crosshair being in the center of it's adjustment range. That being said, I'd just bore sight it. If you don't want to do it in your back yard, do it at the range on a 50yd target. Use something like the Champion sight in target as it's big and bright.

Next time you go out put a target at 25Y. Sight in there first. You will be within 2" or so at 100Y then set your zero. At 100Y 4 clicks should represent 1" at 25Y 16 clicks should represent 1".

Thanks for the info, got it all sigheted in 100 yards. However, my groups are not as good as I would like them to be. The best one was about an inch, but most are about 2-4 inches.

One thing I have to say is that shooting .5 and 1 inch bullseye square targets at 100 yards at 9 power on my Bushnell Elite is really hard to see. Should I get a higher magnification scope or just work on my trigger and breathing instead?

9 power is plenty at 100. What position? Prone? Bench? unsupported?
Get some Match ammo. The 55 gr FMJ will only shoot so good. Try some FGMM 69 or 77 gr.

I've shot from the bench using wood blocks warapped in carpet that were available at the range.

I mean I can see the whole target well at power 9, however, the bullseye is hard to allign with the crosshairs and keep it steady there even with support.