• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need intervention!

Doom

Balding Eagle
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
South of the Mason Dixon Line.
I love my 308 Rem 700! 99% of my shooting is 300 yds or less, static from a bench. Sixty-eight year old body doesn't want to shoot prone. Yesterday a friend forced me to shoot his 6.5 RPR. He's 4" shorter than than me so nothing fit right. Felt like I was bent up like a pretzel. First two shots at 8" going at 300yds were good solid hits, so I figured I'd shoot the 4" gong, miss it and and go about my RSO chores. Well, not only did I hit it, but with the 25x magnification on the scope I actually saw the bullet impact. I feel like I'm headed for a divorce. Can someone please help me!

Maybe get the device before you buy the rifle that way you don’t risk loosing it:poop:

You're only a barrel away... ;)
41EE6F96-B3AB-48AB-A5C7-48FD85A25607.gif

It’s okay to own both. I’ll never get rid of my .308, but my .260 and .224 V get more range time right now.

Reactions: Steel head
:ROFLMAO: maybe a APA FB brake or another recoil reduction brake may keep you a while longer....

If you love the 6.5’s you better not shoot a 6BR
This is the truth. Went from a 6.5cm to a 6br. Quite frankly there was no load dev. It was just load. Shoots stupid small groups, stupidly accurate, Very little recoil with no brake, and gives me something to work myself into as far as long range range shooting goes.

6.5CM/6.5PRC
Pros
Less recoil than 30cal in general, great ammo availability, excellent BC, very good sectional density for bullet weight, and effective on medium sized game out to most ranges within most shooter's comfort zone.
Cons
Shorter barrel life, and less terminal energy within 500yds-ish compared to 308.

308win/30cal
Pros
Great ammo availability, wide range of bullet weights available, good sectional density in the heavy for caliber bullet weights, longer barrel life, bigger bullet [30cal = Merica!], more terminal energy within 500 yds when compared to 6.5 offerings, and doesn't bleed as much velosity when shortening the barrel length.
Cons
Average BC [not as capable at distance compared to newer competitors], greater recoil than most other SA rounds, and is no longer the most recent cool sniper round [declared obsolete by most space ninjas].

I personally will always own both. They're both great options to have on hand.

Reactions: lash and MCHOG
6.5CM/6.5PRC
Pros
Less recoil than 30cal in general, great ammo availability, excellent BC, very good sectional density for bullet weight, and effective on medium sized game out to most ranges within most shooter's comfort zone.
Cons
Shorter barrel life, and less terminal energy within 500yds-ish compared to 308.

308win/30cal
Pros
Great ammo availability, wide range of bullet weights available, good sectional density in the heavy for caliber bullet weights, longer barrel life, bigger bullet [30cal = Merica!], more terminal energy within 500 yds when compared to 6.5 offerings, and doesn't bleed as much velosity when shortening the barrel length.
Cons
Average BC [not as capable at distance compared to newer competitors], greater recoil than most other SA rounds, and is no longer the most recent cool sniper round [declared obsolete by most space ninjas].

I personally will always own both. They're both great options to have on hand.

308 has more energy than a 6 5prc....lol

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I love my 308 Rem 700! 99% of my shooting is 300 yds or less, static from a bench. Sixty-eight year old body doesn't want to shoot prone. Yesterday a friend forced me to shoot his 6.5 RPR. He's 4" shorter than than me so nothing fit right. Felt like I was bent up like a pretzel. First two shots at 8" going at 300yds were good solid hits, so I figured I'd shoot the 4" gong, miss it and and go about my RSO chores. Well, not only did I hit it, but with the 25x magnification on the scope I actually saw the bullet impact. I feel like I'm headed for a divorce. Can someone please help me!

I can help...I’m a marriage counselor.
My suggestion is to send the wife packing and sense you love the 308 buy another rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor and sense your single now might as well get one in 6 creedmoor too.

Reactions: Doom
I thought it was a prerequisite to own at least one 6.5 prior to joining this forum?

Similar but different problem here. Recently took the 6.5cm(figurative wife) to a mile for some hits and now I’m thinking I just gotta get me a side chick. A bigger girl to go the distance with more often. Please don’t tell the wife(literal).

Off to the classifieds ISO said side chick.

In this sport, much like archery, there is no intervention help actually, we're more like the local drug dealers... hey man, try this stuff out it'll make you feel like a king...lol

In addition to that you have all the peer pressure. You're simply not cool if you don't shoot the latest and greatest chassis, cartridge, scope

Similar but different problem here. Recently took the 6.5cm(figurative wife) to a mile for some hits and now I’m thinking I just gotta get me a side chick. A bigger girl to go the distance with more often. Please don’t tell the wife(literal).

Off to the classifieds ISO said side chick.

I recommend 6.5prc....
20200620_075151.jpg
20200620_075206.jpg

Since ai wont make a short action magnum bolt face ax, i did!

308 has more energy than a 6 5prc....lol
I was looking more towards 6.5CM for all of those points. 6.5PRC just has most of the same pros and cons when comparing to 308.
You caught me on the one that isn't consistent between 6.5CM and 6.5PRC.
I'll be more careful next time.

So I had a buddy buy a 6.5prc in a Christensen arms ridgeline and I took him out to get him dialed in with factory ammo. 100yds sight in, 300,400,500,700, 900, 1400. Hit after hit. When we were all done for the day he ask me if it was really that easy. I looked over at him and said "yep it's just rocket science".

He was pretty happy. The most valuable point he learned that day was trust your equipment.

Xdeano

.308 win is God's caliber. Don't do it! You will regret selling it. .308 is a caliber that separates the Men from the boys.

Get this for shooting prone. While you wait for your barrel to cool you can always take a nap. I feel like I'm laying in bed when I got out to the range on this thing.

1594381087357.png

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017434330?pid=768069

You also need to find a range that goes beyond 300 yards. Shooting a long range rifle at a short distance is like kissing your first cousin. You can get away with using the tongue but have to keep your clothes on for any other extracurricular activity.

I will keep my .308 but have added a .224 Valkyrie to the rifle harem and am in the process of getting a .22-250 re-barreled to 6.5 CM. I will also be doing another AR build in the 224V.

Did I mention the 224V? Sorry about that. Don't ever look at that caliber. This is your last warning. Don't ever consider that round. I don't know when I'm going to find the time to shoot up the 7,000 rounds that I bought in bulk from Target Sports USA and SGAmmo.

Those companies are enablers. Don't got to their web sites and stay away from the 224V. You have been warned.

Reactions: lash
Get this for shooting prone. While you wait for your barrel to cool you can always take a nap. I feel like I'm laying in bed when I got out to the range on this thing.

View attachment 7370920
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017434330?pid=768069

You also need to find a range that goes beyond 300 yards. Shooting a long range rifle at a short distance is like kissing your first cousin. You can get away with using the tongue but have to keep your clothes on for any other extracurricular activity.

I will keep my .308 but have added a .224 Valkyrie to the rifle harem and am in the process of getting a .22-250 re-barreled to 6.5 CM. I will also be doing another AR build in the 224V.

Did I mention the 224V? Sorry about that. Don't ever look at that caliber. This is your last warning. Don't ever consider that round. I don't know when I'm going to find the time to shoot up the 7,000 rounds that I bought in bulk from Target Sports USA and SGAmmo.

Those companies are enablers. Don't got to their web sites and stay away from the 224V. You have been warned.

The padding isn't usually the issue. Mostly, it's getting down to the prone position and not feeling like you're being trampled while there.

Now we'll talk about getting up from that position. Sometimes, the pain of being prone is much less than the pain of getting up.
So yeah, the nap is probably a good idea. 😁

In this sport, much like archery, there is no intervention help actually, we're more like the local drug dealers... hey man, try this stuff out it'll make you feel like a king...lol

In addition to that you have all the peer pressure. You're simply not cool if you don't shoot the latest and greatest chassis, cartridge, scope

The peer thing is one of the things that steers me away. Just never been one to follow the crowd.

I'm going to send you a PM of my personal therapist. There are some issues....some suppressed memories that may be trying to get out ;)

But yea....shooting a long rang rifle at short distances....makes the rifle cry. It BEGS to be let loose.