• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing I need new hunting clothes/camo bad

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I live in Kansas and we have a ton of light yellowish gold vegetation the majority of the time. What camo pattern/company should I be looking at?

Here's what I'm dealing with:
1-6-125.jpg

I need it to be good for temperatures from 15-50 degrees. A lighter option could work as i have under layers but it needs to be sized for such. I'd prefer it to have rain protection but need it to be quiet. I have a ECWCS military gore-tex setup but its noisy as hell.

Please halp.

Re: I need new hunting clothes/camo bad

What Generation ECWCS do you have? I'm sure you will get a ton of opinions on what to get, but I'll give you a couple.

For your terrain look at the Mossy Oak "Brush". It's hard to find right now, but I think it's some of the best pattern out right now for your type of terrain. Also, take a look at Game Hide Hush Hide in the Naked North pattern. I picked up a full set of this while I was in Wyoming last year and I really like it. The Hush Hide is very quite and doesn't pick up any burrs or stickers. Here is a pic of the pattern.
58e0c420.jpg

As with anything in temps that cold, your going to need to layer your clothing. A good base layer and a mid layer with your outter camo pattern is the best way to go.

As far as just overall warmth from a single layer of camo, I've had the best results with my Artic Shield stuff. It's a little pricey, but it's the warmest camo I've ever owned. I can wear a simple poly base layer and my pants and coat and be good down to around 20-25 degrees sitting static for long periods of time.

You might look at Outfitter, High Plains from Cabela's. It has a combinations of browns that might work well.

I like Sitka

...most comfortable, useful camo clothing I've ever owned.

-but pricey.

Kings desert might work also or duck hunting grass paters

I looked at the Kings stuff also. Up in the North Western part of the country it's very popular. I bought the Game Hide stuff instead. It just blends better with my terrain down here in the OK/TX/KS area.

Awesome! I got some good avenues to explore here. Thanks gentlemen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Sitka

-but pricey. </div></div>

+1. There are several online stores that sell last years designs at a discount. I've beat the hell out of my SG and it has held up very well. In the temps the OP mentions, I'd go with some down jacket under the camo. It does a tremendous job of keeping me comfortable in a wide range of temps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Sitka

-but pricey. </div></div>

+1. There are several online stores that sell last years designs at a discount. I've beat the hell out of my SG and it has held up very well. In the temps the OP mentions, I'd go with some down jacket under the camo. It does a tremendous job of keeping me comfortable in a wide range of temps.</div></div>

Best clothing I have worn for hunting.. Very well thought out, but a little pricey.

Sitka Gear that's all I buy You can save a few dollars buying the year end close out items

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might look at Outfitter, High Plains from Cabela's. It has a combinations of browns that might work well. </div></div>

This^^^

Cabela's High Plains Outfitter would be good for that terrain. Check out Cabela's Wooltimate stuff. Not good for 50s though.

Day one, ASAT works well in grass. 15 to 50 I'd go with wool.

Columbia Gallatin Wool!!!!!!! It would match your area well. Not too pricy. Warm. What's not to like? Get it, you'll thank me later. If you but the jacket and pants I'll send you a Boonie hat to match.

Eddie

I just wear outdoor hiking clothes. It's better designed and usually less expensive for the same build. Of course you don't impress your buddies with the latest camo "fashion" that way...

i use kings desert shadow and what ever sitka garments I can find at discount prices

Desert Marpat would be my choice for the terrain you are hunting. And throw a ghillie poncho vegged out for your surroundings. I like cheap and anything military that I can use I will....cuz it's cheap at the surplus store. Why spend a ton of money on camo when cheap will work. Maybe check out a ghillie wrap for your stick or break out the krylon cuz although your rifle is bad ass....it sticks out like a giant black stick on the prarie.

I am a big fan of Game Hide clothing. A few years back i bought a pair of there Hyper Hide pants and a jacket. Very well built and super warm. Since then i have bought more of there products, and have always been very pleased. My buddy wears Sitka gear, but after hunting with him i will stick to Game Hide.

I hunt in South Dakota with similar land features. What i used to wear out coyote hunting was an old set of BDU's a size too big and layered underneith.

Have not tried the new Multi-cam but with the more tans i believe it would blend better.

Depending on what your hunting you can get away with a good pair of tan jeans or similar and somehwat camod jacket. You dont need to be a chameleon you just need to learn how to use your surroundings.

Ghilie suits are also nice
laugh.gif

Hushide/Gamehide is good stuff like people have mentioned.

Articshield pants and jackets also. They are all very quiet

Artic%20Shield%20Classic%20Bib%20and%20Parka_M.jpg

I have some old GameHide and Hushide and newer Articshield H3 jacket, bibs and gloves. The H3 stuff is very warm and comfortable. Not sure what patterns they have that would be best for you.

Cabela's Seclusion 3D Open Country might be another option

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">natural gear would be good for that region </div></div>

Roger that. Natgear works well in LOTS of places!

I would go ewith Sitka but its stupid exspensive. I've been wearing the same Sitka since 08 and its held up good. My only beef is that its made in China but what isnt anymore. The Russle brand gear APG i think, they have out now looks pretty good too.

Unless your are hunting predators, you don't need an ghillie suit. And even then you don't need one.

I hunted the Sandhills of Nebraska last year for Mule deer and walked up to quite a few coyotes. Camo mattered not. Anymore if it isn't raining I wear a pair of Mountain Khaki pants, Merino wool base layer depending on temps, and a soft shell or fleece jacket. Of course I don't sit in a stand, I spot and stalk...

I agree, I'm a Sitka fan as well, great gear, well made. I like the "mimicry" pattern but in reality the animals don't care! HAHAHA
smile.gif

Cabelas Gortex parka (liner comes out) and bibs, wool sweater, wool pants, fleece and your polypro base.

Mix the wool and fleece according to temps and wind.

End of season sales are good. I think any camo in a lighter shade to break up your outline will work.

I found surplus wool pants and sweater cheap and warm.

I have the browning hells canyon stuff from sierra trading post and it does great I would never pay full price for camo because all leftovers are half price at the end of the year. If you are going to pay full price register over at archery talk and look up slippyfield he has the best prices anywhere period

Sitka gear is pretty sexy, with a price to match. I picked up a pair of last years pants for half price and do like them. For yotes in SD I roll with Mossy Oak brush until it snows. It has been mentioned, in the end you need to use your surroundings.

MO Brush or Nat Gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MO Brush or Nat Gear. </div></div>

What he said, Mossy Oak Brush is near perfect for most of Kansas in the fall.

A question I didn't see anyone ask. How do you hunt? Treestand? Boxblind? Still hunt? How you hunt, really dictates what type and to what degree you need to camoflage. Plus with blaze orange requirements it don't matter how fancy your camo is under that glowing orange vest.
Old bdu's and Carharts have worked for me for years, and NW Okla looks alot like Kansas.
Eric

You might also consider M2D Camo

If you Google search it and watch their video it is impressive.

Carhart is my favorite to hunt in. Keeps me warm and always have some brush around me.

Camo is overrated, just sit still.

I have lived in Kansas all my life. I wear Carhart or Key brand outer ware. It blends in very well....but with that said, I didn't buy if for concealed coloration. It's available in just about every feed store around here. I personally don't need camo. Look back at history. The Native Americans didn't have fancy camo clothing. The best camo is STAY STILL.....DON'T MOVE....USE a bush, tree or tall grass to break up your outline. Try it. I hunt coyotes, deer, ducks never had a need for camo.

Look at all the old black and white hunting pictures. How many of those old bastards wore camo ???????

Bill Jordon was a hell of a good salesman.

14years ago myself and 2 buddies purchased King Of The Mountain bibs and shirts. We hunt a lot. We are all still wearing the saMe bibs and shirts 14 years later. Stay warm, stay dry stay cool. I have used it from 70* to 0* using different layers under it. The stuff is worth every cent!!

If you are doing a lot of spot and stalk I would recommend the Russell apxg2 layering system in mossy oak brush. If you are doing more "stand hunting" where you are not moving very often, rut wear makes some pretty good stuff in brush, and mossy oak makes a scent stop insulated coat and bibs in brush that are very warm. I have/had all of the above so I know it's good stuff.

There is some high quality stuff out there in brush, just gotta look a little harder for it. My biggest suggestion is get some quality merino wool base layers. They regulate temperature and wick moisture just as good as under armor if not better, but actually have decent insulating properties when you are sitting still. I'll never wear under armor ever again for hunting.

I apologize. I recommended King of the Mountain because I thought you were. Looking for the finest hunting clothing anywhere. After reading all of the suggestions I see you are looking for stylish dress clothes. Sorry

For you guys with Sitka experience...

I am in the final selection process to acquire a Sitka Gear clothing set in Open Country pattern.

Is the Sitka Jetstream jacket breathable given that it has the wind barrier? I don't want to get one with goretx becasue of this concern but I assume the wind barrier membrane may also fail to breathe as well?

I like the Sitka stuff and have three sets in thre different patterns mountain mimicry optifade and open country have not noticed any abnormal detection while wearing any of these even in the snow. but if your wanting to match the terrain colors kuiu brand "former owners of Sitka" should work for you. was looking at buying some this season anyway will give you my assessment on here if I do. I do like the camo pattern they have.

I like Mossy Oak brush and Cabela's Seclusion 3d Open Country but by and far my favorite for open grass country is Kings Field Shadow, but good luck finding it.

Kuiu makes some camo that would work well in Kansas. It's expensive, but pretty nice stuff.

tan jacket and a can of brown spray paint

or forget the paint, they don't have spotting scopes

Another vote for ASAT. Day One is pretty much a lifetime investment if you don't outgrow it!! CKruse