• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I need OPINIONS

dragonlvg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2007
laurel Montana
Situation: Eddystone 1917 30-06 with a barrel that is no longer usable (prior owner put it in a vise and it is now oblong) i have been told that the actions tent to not survive re-barrelling due to bad heat treating and cracking in the front ring. has anyone experienced this or know of a way to avoid it. it was my dads gun and i would prefer to restore it to a shooter instead of scrapping it. thanks in advance

Re: I need OPINIONS

To remove an M1917 barrel without damage to the receiver, in a lathe turn down the portion of the barrel shoulder next to the receiver. Removing the barrel shoulder will free the barrel for easy removal, lots of interesting info out there on these gems.

Some of the Enfields were known to have been heat treated using the 'calibrated eyeball method' of heat treating. As a result, some receivers ended up too hard or too soft (depends on who's doing the talking). As a separate issue, there was apparrently an issue with certain Enfields being rebarreled after the war in which the barrel torque was more of a suggestion than a requirement. As a result, you're going to need to research your particular piece to find out the history.

at this point the only info i have is it was purchased as surplus prior to 1950, at time of purchase it was at least reported as original, unfortunately it then met a garage bench gunsmith and was shaved down(wood), shortened(barrel) and had what looks like a grinder used to remove the rear sight assembly and re-profiled to be close to a rem 700.
brutal honesty if this rifle wasn't my dad's it would be disposed of as a project gun for someone with more $ and patience, but that is not an option for various unrelated reasons
thanks guys
K