• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need pants

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Apparently its time for some new pants and the more I look around, the more confused/indecisive I become. I was looking for suggestions for pants that would stand up to alot of use and don't have to look 'pretty' as I plan on really using them. Was looking for something that fit into this:

- Use for hiking, rock/mountain climbing, hunting day-trips & overnight, and practically just getting them dirty outside while hunting and shooting.

- Preferably have both a hot weather and cold weather line as it gets anywhere from freezing to 110+ degrees where I am.

- Would prefer looser fitting pants. Not referring to a gusseted crotch or not, but the legs and overall feel of the pants I like them to be a bit larger and non-tapered. I'm used to the semi baggy oldschool Bundeswehr type pants.

- A built in knee pad/shell or the ability to put knee pads in the pants is a plus but not a deal breaker.

So far I've looked at the run of the mill Propper BDUs, Vertx, Woolrich Elite and Crye pants but have no hands-on experience with any of them besides what I see online.

Any suggestions?

Re: I need pants

Check out Duluth Trading Firehose work pants...Not cheap but plenty comfy after a dozen washes. They also has work pants with pockets for knee pads as well.

Karsten

+1 on the Duluth Fire Hose pants. Bomb proof and no questions replacement warranty. The regular pants dont have much give but the new Flex Fire Hose pants have some spandex for a bit of give.

I've been wearing the same 5 pair of LA Police Gear rip-stop pants for 11 months in Afghanistan now. They are tough and not too heavy for summer. $19/pair

I've been wearing the same 5 pair of LA Police Gear rip-stop pants for 11 months in Afghanistan now. They are tough and not too heavy for summer. $19/pair

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ligament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to suggest Triple Aught Design clothing. 100% made in USA. Bomb proof quality and outstanding design. </div></div>

Hmmm. Is that so?

IMG_5958.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ligament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to suggest Triple Aught Design clothing. 100% made in USA. Bomb proof quality and outstanding design. </div></div>

Hmmm. Is that so?

IMG_5958.jpg
    </div></div>

That's capitalism for you. Start making your stuff in the USA, charge for it. Then move production to China, don't lower the price, and rake in the profits.

I was directed to "Mascot" pants I found repconnw.com has a big selection ...haven't ordered yet, but so far they seem more than viable.
    I have been using Mammut or Marmot pants using Schoeller fabrics with incredible success.

I guess something about a company that starts with the letter M?

Carhartt for me is hands own the best. I love the double knee twill the best. They alos have a lighter weight twill that is good for warm weather. I think for the money the Carhartt duck cotton is very hard to beat, they wear like iron and after a few washings are as comfortable as my gym pants.

Carhartt double front. Available in every town. $45.00. Insert kneepads are about $15.

SKD tactical bdu made in USA and have knee pad pockets

Im a big fan of the TRU Spec line 24/7 series. They have a built in elastic waist inside so no draw strings. Cargo style and I wear them just about everyday and they take a beating. About $42 bucks, online or Ranger Surplus. I also have the LA Police gear ripstop ones. Good for warm weather but run a tad on the slim side, not baggy at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ligament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to suggest Triple Aught Design clothing. 100% made in USA. Bomb proof quality and outstanding design. </div></div>

Hmmm. Is that so?

IMG_5958.jpg
    </div></div>

That's capitalism for you. Start making your stuff in the USA, charge for it. Then move production to China, don't lower the price, and rake in the profits. </div></div>

Mike they RAISED the prices when they offshored their shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Vertx... been wearing them for years. Price is reasonable, construction is top notch, last forever. </div></div>

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^

Do yourself a favor and try one pair. I did and now I buy them three at a time. Very well made, great fit, durable and as comfortable as a pair of old blue jeans. You'll read about them being sized a bit small but I've found them to be true to size and I'm presently outfitted with a bit more tactical padding than I'd like (<span style="font-style: italic">read that as fat-ass</span>
    crazy.gif
    ). One bit of advice: if you are looking for "khaki" color I'd go for their "desert tan" the color they call khaki is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> light, almost an off-white. FWIW I've found them as low as $29.95 on sale. I'd feel good about paying twice that; I don't think there's a better value anywhere!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ligament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to suggest Triple Aught Design clothing. 100% made in USA. Bomb proof quality and outstanding design. </div></div>

Hmmm. Is that so?

IMG_5958.jpg
    </div></div>

That's capitalism for you. Start making your stuff in the USA, charge for it. Then move production to China, don't lower the price, and rake in the profits. </div></div>

That's not capitalism, that's corporatism. Big difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's not capitalism, that's corporatism. Big difference.</div></div>

How do you figure that? It's not even close to corporatism.

I've got a few pairs of Vertx, and have no complaints at all. Comfortable, durable.

Wow I stand corrected. I can tell you all the PANTS I have from TAD are made in USA. This picture appears to be from a fleece or softshell...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ligament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to suggest Triple Aught Design clothing. 100% made in USA. Bomb proof quality and outstanding design. </div></div>

Hmmm. Is that so?

IMG_5958.jpg
    </div></div>

That's not capitalism, that's corporatism. Big difference. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Vertx... been wearing them for years. Price is reasonable, construction is top notch, last forever. </div></div>

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^

Do yourself a favor and try one pair. I did and now I buy them three at a time. Very well made, great fit, durable and as comfortable as a pair of old blue jeans. You'll read about them being sized a bit small but I've found them to be true to size and I'm presently outfitted with a bit more tactical padding than I'd like (<span style="font-style: italic">read that as fat-ass</span>
    crazy.gif
    ). One bit of advice: if you are looking for "khaki" color I'd go for their "desert tan" the color they call khaki is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> light, almost an off-white. FWIW I've found them as low as $29.95 on sale. I'd feel good about paying twice that; I don't think there's a better value anywhere! </div></div>

I'll second Vertx pants, only I found them to run slightly longer in the inseam than what they should've, my 34 inseam turned out to be 35. Incredibly durable though, plus I like that they have hidden pockets all over so they don't shout tactical. Especially like the magazine pockets inside of the larger cargo pockets, will fit an AR mag or my cell phone just as easily.

I had the same question a year or so ago so I bought a few different pairs to give them a try. The list I have tested out.

Woolrich Elite Operator (standard weight). Well built, baggy, but heavy. Heavy is not how I would normally describe pants but these things have some weight to them. I don't wear them during the summer. They have a pocket high on the front of each thigh that I have found to be kind of out of place. I just haven't put my finger on it but these pockets seem to annoy me somewhat. The pants are also on the pricey side (relatively speaking) in the $50 range.

LA Police Gear BDU style (Rip Stop) Inexpensive, seem durable and as well made as issue BDUs. I like them quite a bit. I bought a couple of pair after testing the first. Good match/kicking around pants.

Lee Cargo Pants (Rip Stop) Decent kicking around pants and can be had from Wal-Mart. The fit seems a little less than right for me but not annoyingly so. I prefer the LA Police Gear BDUs over these and the BDUs are the same price.

Vertx Tactical Pant (standard weight) Very well built, not too heavy for year round wear, very well designed, functional for everything from going out to eat with the your girl to a 3 Gun Match. They are not overtly tactical but have more useful features than many of the "tactical" pants. The fit is good for me as in not too loose or tight. The material has a good "feel" to it. They are the most expensive of the bunch at $50 or so but well worth it. I bought more after trying these.

Vertx Phantom Light (Rip Stop). These are essentially the same pant as the standard tactical pant, just in Rip Stop material. I like them a lot and these will be my warmer weather match pants. I bought several pair after trying the others.

My experience has me going with Vertx. The fit, quality and functionality won me over.

LA Police Gear is a great place to order clothes from. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them over the past couple of years and have been very pleased. They also have frequent free shipping deals.

HTH

Thanks for the replies so far. There are so many options out there I ended up with information overload when trying to look online. And not having the opportunity to try them on first as well is always a hindrance in making a decision.

Ironically I found a pair of Propper multicam BDUs in my closet this morning, but wanted some different types of pants for different weather so I am still on the search regardless.

I've tried 5.11 pants before and destroyed them in a weekend climbing, the nice thing is though that they are fairly inexpensive. Looks like I may try the Vertx for sure as they keep coming up and have heard alot of good things about the firehose pants. I just am not sure about TAD (most is out of stock in the colors/sizes I was looking at) and the way they put the pockets in the front makes me always think the guy has his pants on backwards.

21Bravo, with the Vertx you've had how do they compare fit with with say the Propper BDUs and did they run true to size? Also do they have a provision for a knee pad insert?

Thanks guys.

They do not have knee pad pockets. The fit is a little more snug than the BDU style pants. The inseam is a little longer than traditional, but in reading Vertx's description this is intentional. The purpose is to minimize the legs riding up over your boot/shoes when sitting or kneeling. I ordered my normal size and have not had a problem with them being too long. I have found them to fit a little snug in the seat (and I have a skinny ass, or lack of ass depending on who you ask!) but after wearing them I decided the overall fit is about right.

Dluth Trading Firehose pants. I use mine from fishing, range time, hunting (protect against thorns), to work. The only time I don't wear them is when I go somewhere put with the wife, she won't let me wear work pants as casual wear, and when they are in the washing machine. And for hunting the pockets hold my Leica rangefinder, a liter of water and still have room. Plus the warranty can't be beat.

I just went through my closet and out of 28 articles of TAD clothing, the only one with a Made In China label was a 4 year old Raptor jacket. Everything else says USA or California. That label in the pic looks odd, I have nothing that looks like that. Maybe it's a counterfeit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went through my closet and out of 28 articles of TAD clothing, the only one with a Made In China label was a 4 year old Raptor jacket. Everything else says USA or California. That label in the pic looks odd, I have nothing that looks like that. Maybe it's a counterfeit? </div></div>

I think the Stealth Hoody LT is made overseas due to the manufacturing (welded seams)

Back on topic, I've been wearing TAD Force 10 cargos and they are awesome. The fit is true to size, with a great range of motion without looking baggy. You'll be amazed how handy the weird front welt pockets are.

I was skeptical of TAD gear, but once I bought my first item (Ranger Hoody - made is California) I was hooked. The price is high, but the quality, function and style can't be beat.

Vertx are the next pants I'm going to try. I've heard nothing but good things about them as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went through my closet and out of 28 articles of TAD clothing, the only one with a Made In China label was a 4 year old Raptor jacket. Everything else says USA or California. That label in the pic looks odd, I have nothing that looks like that. Maybe it's a counterfeit? </div></div>

TAD started making more things in China I think a year or so ago. There was a big deal made out of it and they eventually posted a rant on their facebook page to the tune of how people don't understand outsourced manufacturing and if you don't like it don't buy their stuff.

One more for LA police gear I wear them at work (construction) and they hold up very well. Also the optional knee pads are great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win.308stealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dluth Trading Firehose pants. I use mine from fishing, range time, hunting (protect against thorns), to work. The only time I don't wear them is when I go somewhere put with the wife, she won't let me wear work pants as casual wear, and when they are in the washing machine. And for hunting the pockets hold my Leica rangefinder, a liter of water and still have room. Plus the warranty can't be beat. </div></div>

I've always wanted to try these, but was worried that if they got wet, they'd get heavy and would never dry out. Plus they seem like they would itch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently its time for some new pants and the more I look around, the more confused/indecisive I become. I was looking for suggestions for pants that would stand up to alot of use and don't have to look 'pretty' as I plan on really using them. Was looking for something that fit into this:

- Use for hiking, rock/mountain climbing, hunting day-trips & overnight, and practically just getting them dirty outside while hunting and shooting.

- Preferably have both a hot weather and cold weather line as it gets anywhere from freezing to 110+ degrees where I am.

- Would prefer looser fitting pants. Not referring to a gusseted crotch or not, but the legs and overall feel of the pants I like them to be a bit larger and non-tapered. I'm used to the semi baggy oldschool Bundeswehr type pants.

- A built in knee pad/shell or the ability to put knee pads in the pants is a plus but not a deal breaker.

So far I've looked at the run of the mill Propper BDUs, Vertx, Woolrich Elite and Crye pants but have no hands-on experience with any of them besides what I see online.

Any suggestions? </div></div>

I would venture to say that you need to search in the mountaineering line. To name a few:

Patagonia
    Mammut
    Marmot
    TNF
    Ibex
    Mountain Hardwear
    WildThings
    Integral Designs

Patagonia, I have a pair Pata Talus pants that I wear/wore stand alone in Az desert in the summer no overheating at 100+ to Alaska winter with Pata fleece as a base layer under them to single digits. Around 4oz soft shell. No slots for knee pads though. Fit and design is traditional guide pant from Europe but slightly looser. I have not tried these pants linked below but these seem to be close to the Talus.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-rock-craft-pants-sun-protection?p=58255-0-759&pcc=1128

I would search for guide pants(where 5.11 got the design) in soft shell fabric. You get weather protection yet superbly breathable with stretch and decent abuse. Schoeller Dynamic is the best fabric I have ever used for hard wearing abuse and all season performance in Alaska climate. Its a high end fabric from high end companies like WT, ID, Arcx, BD but in my opinion wearing it for years guiding in Alaska, nothing comes close and well worth the coin.

For knee pads, strap on some tele ski pads, that way they do not interfere when high stepping and hiking.

I just bought a pain of Woolrich pants from Brownells. They were on a good sale!

No love for 5.11 tac light pros? I have had great luck with mine. True to size and the loose fit you are talking about.

I got a pair of the Sitka Timberline (I think that's the name) for hunting and they're great. Removable kneepads, dwr on the knees and ass, not sure how great their digitalesque camo is but that wasn't a huge concern for me. I'm sure it's effective. They're fairly lightweight but I was comfortable from 4am through Arizona mid-day beginning of December so high 30's to low 40's during the morning to 60's+ during the middle of the day.

I've been wearing the 5.11 stryke lately. They have removable knee pad inserts, made of some kind of rip stop fabric that's a little stretchy, light weight, and have enough pockets to lose shit in.

I just ordered a few more pairs from ceylonc, a SH vendor.

Here is my list of what I wear

TAD Gear - Force 10 Cargo - These are not cheap but hold up well. Nice dividers in cargo pockets for gear, inside pockets for hiding money and ID while traveling.

LA Police Gear - Operator Pant - Good cheap pants, TAD Force 10 rip off without the extra pocket details. Beware of zipper blow-outs on these. At $20 it's not too big a deal. I usually match my chonies to the color I am wearing because it will blow out.

511 - I still have several pairs from years ago that are holding up well. I still like the back pocket design.

Mountain Khakis - Orig Mountain Pant and Alpine Utility Pants are good to go. If you don't mind used clothes, you can pick these up on eBay pretty cheap.

Carhartt - I don't have a single piece of Carhartt clothing that I don't like.

Levis - 501 Button Fly. They are a pain to deal with after pissing but Levis have to be button fly IMHO.

Just got a pair of Vertyx pants and I really like them. I'm about to order a few more, but I'm tempted to try another brand, just for comparisons sake.

Still, Vertyx LT pants are comfortable and seem very well put together. I second the statement that they run a little long, at least for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X-s 2 for the 24/7's. Best duty pants that I've found so far on a white mans budget. </div></div>
    3rd vote for the Tru-Spec 24/7's. I work in a bodyshop and the only complaint would be that they don't take kindly to welding.........those little sparks will melt a hole right down to your nuggets!!!! Damn not fun! the knees are double material and will take pads if I am not mistaken. As for durability, working in a bodyshop is pretty rough on clothes and they last. Im not sure if they have a cold weather line but they are comfortable in the summer (80 to 105ish) winter gets a little nippy though. Best of luck on your search. T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    3rd vote for the Tru-Spec 24/7's.</div></div>4th... Wear them everyday. In and out of vehicles and loading/unloading. Initially, they are a little "stiff", and they "broke in" after about a month of use and washings. I like the pocket arrangement, the hidden elastic waist, and the material has held up well. Caught a corner edge on one pair of pants while moving through the shop, and it was enough to turn me 90 degrees. Punctured through a pocket flap and tore about 1/4" each way in an "L" shape. Hasn't gotten bigger after continued wearing and washing, but I really should get the needle and thread out.

I'd like to know if one can put pads in the knees.

And I enjoy this thread as some of these manufactures...I hadn't heard of them. So many opportunities!

I wear Vertx. These look like regular pants (not tactical pants). They are useful in my life (attorney). I would not wear them for heavy duty work (contruction). I wear carhart work jeans around the homestead.

BMT

TAD lists where each item is made right on their website under the specs tab so you can check it for yourself. All of their pants are made in the USA. The Stealth was made in China for 1 year (if I remember right) and it's now made in Canada just like the Stealth LT.

I have a few pairs of TAD pants and like them very much. Durable and comfortable for climbing and hiking in rough hills. I also like the Kuhl pants since they have lots of different material options. For a lower cost more everyday pant I like the Columbis ROC pants but they are obviously not as durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skatz11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just went through my closet and out of 28 articles of TAD clothing, the only one with a Made In China label was a 4 year old Raptor jacket. Everything else says USA or California. That label in the pic looks odd, I have nothing that looks like that. Maybe it's a counterfeit? </div></div>

I think the Stealth Hoody LT is made overseas due to the manufacturing (welded seams)

</div></div>

I have a current generation Stealth LT, it's made in Canada. I do remember them talking about the welded/taped seams being a reason they had a few articles made in China. I think that only lasted a year now as I don't see any of their jackets being listed as made in China. In fact every jacket they currently have listed is made in the USA save for the Stealth and Stealth LT which are Canada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rustlers from k-mart Ridin dirty over a pair of voits is how I does it </div></div>

I was waiting for you to show up.

What happened to the spider man tactical man-jammies and hyperwear shirt that changes colors to match your current AO? I'm disappointed.

Decided to order 2 pairs of Woolrich, 2 Vertx and will see about possibly trying TAD when theyre back in stock. Was thinking about a pair of Crye, but just can't substantiate the price.