• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need to procure a lightweight hunting rifle for next year, what would you pick?

Adamc55

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2020
PA
With an Idaho trip a mere 10 months away (counting the days) and me having sold my very nice defiance/proof 300prc hunter months ago like a dummy, I am now in need of another lightweight hunter. I was at first torn between 300wsm and 300wm but I think I've settled on 300wm. The rifle I'd really like to have is a Seekins ph2, but it's a little more than I'd like to spend and finding them in stock in a good color can be a challenge-

A friend of mine is always pushing Tikka, and I know they make great rifles. Would probably be the Tikka t3x lite veil-

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...land-bolt-action-rifle-300-win-24in/p/1702049

I also just noticed Howas carbon rifle (carbon stockys stock at least) and it seems like a nice option-

Those are just 3 I'm considering. I'm keeping my eye on buy/sell/trade for something to pop up as well. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Looking for threaded, 300 winmag, ~7lb.

I have the veil alpine. Excellent rifle and surprisingly accurate

If a more traditionally stocked rifle would work and one that is lightweight and comes in 300WM the Proof elevation is a darn nice rifle especially for the price when looking at its parts. And since you already have experience with Proof seems a good choice??

If a more traditionally stocked rifle would work and one that is lightweight and comes in 300WM the Proof elevation is a darn nice rifle especially for the price when looking at its parts. And since you already have experience with Proof seems a good choice??
That does seem like decent pricing for the elevation, especially compared to some of their other rifles, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend. I should have mentioned it in the first post but I'd really like to stay under $1,500 for the rifle

At that price point, Tikka should work - unless you find a discounted, or second hand, Sako that you like.

Reactions: Newbie2020
I would look at a Tikka Superlite.

I had a Proof Elevation. It was a nice rifle, but to me it didn’t do anything better than the couple Tikkas I have/had. IMO the Elevation isn’t worth the money unless you NEED a carbon wrapped barrel.

Last edited:
I really like my seekins havak ph2, has far exceeded my expectations, especially for the price.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli

Don't know what color you could live with but there is a used PH2 in 300WM available in PX.

Don't know what color you could live with but there is a used PH2 in 300WM available in PX.
I messaged him about a trade offer but he wasn't interested. Still considering buying it outright although he says no shipping. Could always spray it or get it cerekoted

I have a dealer friend checking to see if he can buy a seekins havak ph2 barreled action, then I could put it an a manners that matches my other havak

I would buy a Tikka and put it in an MDT HNT chassis. In fact my wife’s Tikka should get that treatment. Damn, there goes $$$$
Yeah, but I bet it is a sweet shooter. Tikkas are always extremely light and that means a .300 WM will kick like an angry mule. A chassis may add a pound but it absorbs recoil for that pound. And there can also be an Oryx version for most actions.

My avatar is my TC Compass II in .308 Win in an Oryx chassis.

Seekins Havak or a Tikka. Only problem with Tikkas is they don't play well with long action magnums. 1:11 twist rate in 300 win mag and max COAL of 3.340". I switched mine to a 300 WSM because of that, but at Idaho elevations I was able to shoot 200 ELD-X just fine with a Mountain Tactical mag conversion

Also wanted to add, look at the .300 WSM by various makers, such as the Browning AB Bolt. There is a YouTube channel called Rogee Productions. These guys hunt with I believe, a Savage .300 WSM and a Zero Trace scope, getting big horn sheep in the hills and mountains of New Zealand. Light and capable. Bringing home dinner at 500 yards.

Seekins Havak or a Tikka. Only problem with Tikkas is they don't play well with long action magnums. 1:11 twist rate in 300 win mag and max COAL of 3.340". I switched mine to a 300 WSM because of that, but at Idaho elevations I was able to shoot 200 ELD-X just fine with a Mountain Tactical mag conversion
x2 on this. My Tikka was a 300win mag and I never really could get it to shoot well. Ended up rebarreling in 300wsm and it finally shoots.

It looks like the new T3X 300 win mag is 1 in 10 twist. I'm leaning towards the T3X veil Alpine in 300 win mag. Does anybody have any experience with the new Savage ultra Light with the proof barrel?

I like the Seekins option, but I personally didn't care for the Manners EH1 shape for my hunting rifle, that's a personal preference, so it may be something to consider. I've never personally owned any of the 3 you mentioned but friends own the seekins and Tikka. I liked the Tikka over the Howa.

To throw a little twist in my plans, I'm questioning whether or not to just go with something in 6.5prc. Less recoil, short action, easy reloading. I want to eventually hunt elk, possibly 2024, and just want to be sure whatever I get will be up to the job. Jeez, I almost feel ok about taking my 12" .308 for mule deer but that might be pushing it lol

Savage actions are trash. The Tikka or Seekins is your best best.
Certainly can`t speak for all Savage rifle actions but the action in my 110 is really smooth. Yeah, it`s a little stiff at the top of the bolt lift, but it hasn`t been worked very much either. Broad, sweeping condemnations of entire brands of just about anything are " interesting " .

Reactions: Digetydog
Get whatever brand. A lot of them, and models, you and spending extra for BS that seems cool. Does little for the hunting rifle.

I hunt with a either a .308 or 30’06 mostly for elk and deer.
Big bull elk dropped with 150 SST from a Savage .308 years ago…..
Tikka and Sako are my main hunting rifles. Old Winchesters too.
For the $500 I paid for the one used Tikka with a scope years ago, one cant go wrong.
I think about changing the tikka stock, but it shoots well as is and weight is about right for all my hunts.
8 lbs 8 oz all in, sling (one you can use to shoot with) stock pack, and 2 mags loaded.

I would not hesitate to hunt elk with a .260 or 6.5 creedmoor.
But Im a decent enough shooter and will pass on questionable shots.

Certainly can`t speak for all Savage rifle actions but the action in my 110 is really smooth. Yeah, it`s a little stiff at the top of the bolt lift, but it hasn`t been worked very much either. Broad, sweeping condemnations of entire brands of just about anything are " interesting " .

No, they’re shit. A $300 Ruger American is a better feeling and cycling action than a Savage. Glad you like yours but in this day and age there’s so much better. A proof barrel on a savage is lipstick on a pig.

• Sad
No, they’re shit. A $300 Ruger American is a better feeling and cycling action than a Savage. Glad you like yours but in this day and age there’s so much better. A proof barrel on a savage is lipstick on a pig.
Well, everybody`s entitled to their opinion, aren`t they? Merry Christmas, brother!

Reactions: moosemeat
To throw a little twist in my plans, I'm questioning whether or not to just go with something in 6.5prc. Less recoil, short action, easy reloading. I want to eventually hunt elk, possibly 2024, and just want to be sure whatever I get will be up to the job. Jeez, I almost feel ok about taking my 12" .308 for mule deer but that might be pushing it lol
My buddy is selling his 6.5prc Seekins ph2. Pm me if interested

For versatility and weight and all the great qualities, the Zermatt Ti3 titanium action is tremendous. And the fact I can still use my TL3 barrels with it make it a no-brainer for me.

Reactions: Sogan
If you consider the 6.5 PRC capable for the task, the Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 is offered in that caliber. Friend just purchased one in 6 Creed and I’m very impressed with it at that price point. It’s stupid light too I might add.

Reactions: abn31c and Ronws
If you consider the 6.5 PRC capable for the task, the Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 is offered in that caliber. Friend just purchased one in 6 Creed and I’m very impressed with it at that price point. It’s stupid light too I might add.
I like your thinking. And the Social Regressive on YouTube built an everything rifle out of a semi-auto 6 mm ARC. It could get an elk but you have to be really exact. I have seen Rob Arrington, another light caliber guy shoot a moose at over 100 yards with his Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Hornady ELD-X 143 grain. 1 shot.

I personally hunt with a .308 Win (my avatar is my TC Compass II in an Oryx chassis.)

Then, again, everyone has been getting jazzed about the new 7 mm PRC and Mossberg and a few others are now making them. Basically a precision rifle by design. Flat and good to over 1,000 yards, though most people are not going to hunt that far. It pushes a heavy-for-caliber slug between 165 and 180 grains.

Me? I might be more tempted with a .30-06 or, just as useful for all game, the 7 mm Rem Mag. I have seen people get an elk with that.

I checked one out at a local shop awhile back and it did seem pretty nice. I'm not a huge Springfield fan but I might have to check it out again.

Reactions: Ronws
I checked one out at a local shop awhile back and it did seem pretty nice. I'm not a huge Springfield fan but I might have to check it out again.

The Springfield (everything else they make that goes bang) and the Waypoint aren't even apples to apples in all reality. The Waypoint is another Rem700 footprint action with a AG Composite TYPE stock and nice carbon barrels and good triggers. They just aren't comparable to the rest of what Springfield produces, if you know what I mean :LOL:

Christensen arms Ridgeline. They come with trigger tech’s in them, rem 700 footprint, carbon barrels are threaded, 1 moa guarantee and stand behind that. Tikka’s are great, but are really too short for a full house 300 win mag. That is, if you reload, if not, don’t worry about it.

Don’t waste your money on Kimber rifles. Don’t order one if you want it for your hunt in 10 months. Buddy of mine waited 2+ years before cancelling the order.

6.5 prc all day long. That’s definitely what you should get.

Whelp, I decided on a rifle finally. My Desert Shadow Seekins ph2 in 300wm will be here tomorrow 🤘

It will probably outshoot most of the rifles recommended in this thread.

Reactions: stanley_white
Not just accuracy. I also want reliability and ergonomics. I have had savages. I got tires of the extractors self extracting and shifty craftsmanship. This was late 90s early 2000. Wouldn't feed reliably. Actions screws self loosened even when torqued. All the same shitty shit a remington but in a much uglier rifle.

It will probably outshoot most of the rifles recommended in this thread.

You know how many people I've heard say their Savages were accurate but weren't? A lot.

I bought at least a half dozen different Savage 17HMR's because I wanted an accurate 17HMR and everyone on the internet said theirs shot 1/2moa... Wasn't the case.

You know how many people I've heard say their Savages were accurate but weren't? A lot.

I bought at least a half dozen different Savage 17HMR's because I wanted an accurate 17HMR and everyone on the internet said theirs shot 1/2moa... Wasn't the case.
Considering just the variability of 17HMR ammunition alone, I wouldn`t give a lot of credence to ANY claims of CONSISTENT 1/2 MOA precision from ANY 17HMR rifle ( yes, even Tikkas ! ). If that`s what you need to see to verify satisfactory accuracy you`ll be hard pressed. Will my Savage 93R17 shoot a 1/2 MOA group at 100 yards? Yep, on occasion, but with rounds from a good lot of ammunition that it favors. Sub-MOA groups from any rimfire at 100 yards is a cause for celebration.. My Savage 110 in .223 is a whole different animal entirely. It`s boringly accurate at 100 yards.

As far as I know, there`s no real standard for "accuracy". Of course, most of the time most folks seem to use the terms " accuracy " and " precision " interchangeably, which of course they are not the same thing at all. What one person might consider acceptable " accuracy " ( POA vs. POI ) and/or " precision " ( group size ) will differ, I believe.

Last edited:
Twins! Almost at least... So far I am extremely happy with my choice, as usual with seekins build quality looks to be top notch. Now to decide on an optic and shoot it 🤘

20221228_182137.jpg

Slapped an optic on it and got the rifle out to the range. I am ecstatic! Love this thing. Ran the action a bunch last night and it's already breaking in nicely. Shot about 55 rounds through it today. These were the better groups, and no I wasn't shooting 5 or 10 shot groups, especially for $3 a shot. Plus I don't ever expect to shoot this thing more than 3-4 times in a real world scenario. The best 2 groups were with Norma bondstrike 180grn, and the other was with federal premium/berger 185grn. I was also shooting some Barnes vor-tx 165grn and it was about an inch.
20221230_154823.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-12-30 16_04_39.902239.png
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-12-30 15_59_08.216272.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-12-30 15_42_11.696571.jpg

Reactions: perttime