• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

i never here anything about 338 laupa bullets

mrredbeard1959

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
i am hearing a lot about the 338 laupa brass being so good so i ordered some. i havent heard much about there bullets. why is this?? i just ordered 100 to try them. the place i ordered them from said that berger recalled all the 338 laupa from them and have not got any back yet. i see the hunting shack is still selling with the berrger bullet. i wounder why there's didn't get recalled. any way if anyone can let me know how the 250 grain laupa bullets are i would appreaciate it.

Re: i never here anything about 338 laupa bullets

I use the 250 grain .338 Laupa bullets. I find them to shoot well, they are consistent in size, and of high quality like the other Lapua bullets I use in .308 and .260.

I have a bunch that I'm developing loads with. I think the reason you don't hear as much is the 300SMK is. REALLY good, and while the scenar may/may not be better, a difference of $0.20 or more a bullet can turn people off.

I'll let you know what my comparisons yield, if you want a data point as I'm trying the smk and scenar with 4 different powders, I'll post my review/comparison thoughts when I'm done.

Love the 250gr. Scenar in my 338 use it with around 84gr. of 4831SC 26MOA to 1000 very consistent.

Honestly i dont think lapua release any crap products.

And their lockbase projectiles are used by many military forces around the world

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoVa birdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bunch that I'm developing loads with. I think the reason you don't hear as much is the 300SMK is. REALLY good, and while the scenar may/may not be better, a difference of $0.20 or more a bullet can turn people off.

I'll let you know what my comparisons yield, if you want a data point as I'm trying the smk and scenar with 4 different powders, I'll post my review/comparison thoughts when I'm done.</div></div>

On Powder Valley 300 Scenar's are $62 for 100, and 300 SMK's are $30.50 for 50. I don't see the $.20 per bullet you are talking about.

BTW I love 300 Scenar with 89 of R25.

The 300SMK is usually easier to pick up at a sporting goods store as more places have Sierra bullets than do Lapua.

The 300gr Scenar is a fine bullet for shooting "stuff" like paper, steel, rocks and about whatever you want but they aren't very good for hunting unless you are looking for a bullet with zero expansion. The Scenar bullets are some of the best most uniform and consistent bullets you will find but they have a VERY tough jacket and spear right thru things without expanding. This isn't really a probem when all you're doing is shooting "stuff" but I think most guys work up a load with their 300gr SMK's and shoot "stuff" and hunt with them and if you're going to use it to hunt with why work up a load twice when you can just do it once.

Fireguyty, yeah, I just found powder valley and just bought a ton of powder and bullets from them, the $0.20 I referred to was before I found them, at midway they were $80/100 vs $30ish/50 for the SMK IIRC. Now that I found powder valley, no reason other than the above statements of expansion to not get the scenars, they are more uniform in my opinion. I am still working loads for both, just in case--both from a source diversity point and to see what works best.

All I shoot in my GAP .338LM are Lapua bullets...both the 250's and 300's. They shoot better than anything else I've tried. I use VVN560 for the 250's and Retumbo for the 300's.

PGS, what load range of retumbo do you use for the 300's? I can't find a manual that has any info on that combo, and I'd prefer not to start blind. For instance, do you have a comparison of retumbo with 300smk vs retumbo with 300scenar?

There is a large price difference if you compare the 500pk of SMK's to buying 5 boxes of scenars. $0.48/rd for 500 smk's, $0.62/rd for scenars.

Id also like to hear if there is enough of a difference between the two to warrant the extra $ and sometimes difficulty finding them.

What are the respective Litz BC's for the two?

The 300 SMK is 0.745G1 avg. I don't remember the G7 off the top of my head.

Under the conditions in my general region (cold winters, under 1k ASL generally) the 300 SMK is reported NOT to transition well to subsonic.

The 300 Scenar is not in the book.

Under the same conditions above, the 300 Scenar is reported to transition well and I've seen someone launch them very repeatably to 2300yd. Well into subsonic by that point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrredbeard1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am hearing a lot about the 338 laupa brass being so good so i ordered some. i havent heard much about there bullets. why is this?? i just ordered 100 to try them. the place i ordered them from said that berger recalled all the 338 laupa from them and have not got any back yet. i see the hunting shack is still selling with the berrger bullet. i wounder why there's didn't get recalled. any way if anyone can let me know how the 250 grain laupa bullets are i would appreaciate it. </div></div>

You haven't heard anything about Lapua 338 bullets? LOL.

You joined on 12/28/10.

Come on bro, do a search.

Try these two words: Lockbase and Scenar.

You should be busy reading for the next 30 days.

Chris