• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I Quit !

The Mechanic

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego County Ca.
Well big day today. Going into the dealership that I started at in 1989 and telling them I quit. Kind of bitter sweet to see how far it has fallen. Was just purchased a short time ago and to say work has gone down would be a HUGE understatement. After seeing my last paycheck I said I am done. I wish it well but it will be without me.

My only regret is that I won't have my daily Friends that I have known for years to say hi to every morning. Even though the number of them has decreased as almost everyone has left. Can't wait to start the new job.

Re: I Quit !

You are making the right decision, never stay somewhere you hate as it will never be worth it. Best of luck!

Left the car fixit business behind altogether about 15 years ago. I still dream about customer comebacks and faulty parts.

Actually I have never quit a job that I did not already have another one already started.

I kind of scored on this one. The automotive biz has been pretty bad but side work has always helped out during those rough times. I have about 15 local shops around here that call me when they have something they can't figure out.

I have a neighbor that I started doing some work for and a bunch of his Friends. Long story short my neighbor has been bugging the heck out of me for a few years to come work for the company he works for. Well I finally took him up on the offer. I will be working on Coronado Island here in San Diego at NAS North Island by the Amphibious base, working on support equipment so no more automobiles, just jets and helo's.

So basically I gave up my 6 day a week job of commission work that has been paying less than a third of what I used to make since Chevrolet shut down the franchise and my wonderful $1,300 a month HMO with a $1,500 a year co-pay and $8,000 deductible in the always hot El Cajon to..... Now get this being on the beach getting off at 2:00 every day, every other Friday off paid a PPO insurance for the whole family $420 a month no co-pays, no deductibles with dental, vision, matching 401K, life and dismemberment insurance, etc. etc.

Get this I usually had 3 to 4 days off a year. Labor day and Christmas. The new job I get off every day a bank would get off. I get Columbus day off!! I am not kidding. The first hour I work I get 2 weeks of vacation. Everyone says I am crazy for not jumping on this sooner but I guess I am one of the last rats off the sinking ship.

Lots of other stuff about the dealership has been bugging me. But I won't go into it right now. Still a lawsuit pending for the Toyota Lexus accident that was heard around the world. Yup I trained all the guys at that Lexus dealer that was attached to the one I worked at many years ago. All had left before "the incident" thank goodness as I wouldn't want any personal attachment to that whole thing.

Anyways going to be starting in a week, thought I would take a week off as the last time I had a day off was when my youngest daughter was 4 and we went to Disneyland. She 13 now. I know pretty pathetic. I have made a promise to my wife and kids that I will never cash out another vacation day for the rest of my life. It is time to start going a few places.

Good luck to you. My little brother is in the Navy out on Coronado and works on helos also.

I thought you had a ace up your sleeve.congrats on the great
job.

Get your A&P ticket, fixing things that are made to be fixed will make you wonder why you waited so long, I F-ing hate working on cars/trucks, give me a broken Boeing, it will fly away fixed everytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is time to start going a few places. </div></div>Sounds like you already are. Congrats on the new job.

I've been a service advisor at a dealership nearly 10 years, and this Friday I'm giving two week's notice. Being the car business, I expect them to fire me on the spot, so I'm betting Friday will be my last day. Good thing, as I'm starting a job totally unrelated to the car business on Saturday.
I've had my own tech team most of those 10 years, and they are my responsibility to keep working. I feel bad about leaving them. I'm damn good at what I do, and can guarantee that my replacement won't be as good, which will affect their income. My techs are the reason I've stayed on the last few years.
But the work is, literally, killing me. It's not worth the money anymore, and the management has changed from "one big happy family" to writeups and penalties, and we are all plainly just numbers to them. Income generating numbers, to be replaced as needed. My boss threatens to fire me about three times a week.
My new job pays 43% of what I make now and has no stress. I'll be indoors, so I won't freeze all winter and bake all summer. I won't have to get up at 4:30 AM, since we don't open until 9 AM.
I'll miss the money, that's for damn sure. It's going to affect how many matches I can go to, and how much equipment I can buy. I'll get along.

1911fan

Sounds like you got it made man l hope you enjoy your new job. if anything you finally get to spend time with the family that's what its all about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My new job pays 43% of what I make now </div></div>

Happiness is also a measure of success or at least should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been a service advisor at a dealership nearly 10 years, and this Friday I'm giving two week's notice. Being the car business, I expect them to fire me on the spot, so I'm betting Friday will be my last day. Good thing, as I'm starting a job totally unrelated to the car business on Saturday.
I've had my own tech team most of those 10 years, and they are my responsibility to keep working. I feel bad about leaving them. I'm damn good at what I do, and can guarantee that my replacement won't be as good, which will affect their income. My techs are the reason I've stayed on the last few years.
But the work is, literally, killing me. It's not worth the money anymore, and the management has changed from "one big happy family" to writeups and penalties, and we are all plainly just numbers to them. Income generating numbers, to be replaced as needed. My boss threatens to fire me about three times a week.
My new job pays 43% of what I make now and has no stress. I'll be indoors, so I won't freeze all winter and bake all summer. I won't have to get up at 4:30 AM, since we don't open until 9 AM.
I'll miss the money, that's for damn sure. It's going to affect how many matches I can go to, and how much equipment I can buy. I'll get along.

1911fan</div></div>
I feel for you. I felt real bad when I left knowing I am the only one that will work on anything. I know they really do wish me well but I could see they went to their computers and started canceling appointments. Looks like the owner is going to have to find someone else to work on his and his sons Bentley's and Carrera. Oh and now no one to work on Duramax and PowerStrokes. They are screwed because no other techs want to work at that dealership.

Have you thought of outside sales in the automotive field?

Your thread title really got my attention. Good for you and good luck, I have been wanting to quit for 3 years.Company pays me well and treat me as good or better than I deserve, but I/m almost 62 and my body can't take it much longer. I travel a lot, in Iraq as I write working on company equipment,hot as Hell for a month then Nice now getting cool. You are right about family and time off, better than money in the bank I sure as Hell don't want to die from working in some of the shit holes I've been in and Obama keeps screwing with my taxes. You made my day thanks.

1911fan, hey you didn't say anything Tuesday when were eating tacos, explains the truck swap - HA! , you'll be a lot happier at the new job

It'll be the best thing you have ever done! I quit a GM dealership after 12 years as a tech. It started as a family owned super great place to work, everything slowly got bad then worse, owner got greedy. When GM went upside down things got way worse, original owner sold out new owner letting people go right and left. I went three weeks and took home less than $200 a week, so I quit. Tried to get owner to give some type of guarantee, he wouldn't do it until I told them I was leaving.

Went to another dealership and it was the same shit! Worked there for about 4 months. Ended up coming back to work for the family business back home and I am much more happy. My whole family is doing so much better, its been almost two years now. Stress is way down, no more bs drama to deal with every day, get to spend more time with the kids!

Good luck with your new adventure!

From the posts I've read here you really know what you're doing.
Congratulations on your new start!

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smutly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your thread title really got my attention. Good for you and good luck, I have been wanting to quit for 3 years.Company pays me well and treat me as good or better than I deserve, but I/m almost 62 and my body can't take it much longer. I travel a lot, in Iraq as I write working on company equipment,hot as Hell for a month then Nice now getting cool. You are right about family and time off, better than money in the bank I sure as Hell don't want to die from working in some of the shit holes I've been in and Obama keeps screwing with my taxes. You made my day thanks. </div></div>

When the dealership was sold we had one guy who had been there for 30 years. He was going to retire and I told him to let them let you go first and collect a little unemployment for a while with his SoSec. I would never have said this to a normal young working guy as I would feel guilty taking it. He needed it and deserved it for as much as he put into it. There have been many dealerships that have closed in the last 5 to 10 years here. It has only left the big corporate dealers. Only a few owner operated ones left. The Toyota dealer right across the street has been losing $110,000 to $140,000 a month. The one I worked at lost over $350,000 the first two months after they started at the end of July.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyways going to be starting in a week, thought I would take a week off as the last time I had a day off was when my youngest daughter was 4 and we went to Disneyland. She 13 now. I know pretty pathetic. I have made a promise to my wife and kids that I will never cash out another vacation day for the rest of my life. It is time to start going a few places. </div></div>

Good on you. They grow up quickly; you gotta spend the time while you have it. Besides, teenagers are a pita. Have fun with them before when they are still young
wink.gif

good for you mechanic, can we still come to you for advice
wink.gif
?

WHen it stops being fun, and somewhere that you hate to go.....it has become a JOB. Time to leave.

Glad to hear that you have landed on your feet and I wish you the best of luck.

The last job that I had before this one, I was transfered out of town for 2 of the 4 years that I worked for them. The pay sucked too. I make 3x what I was making when I quit that job. All of my buddies told me that I made the right decision.

The job before I was working house construction, I was in charge of everyone on the job. It sucked. Some of those clowns were even making more than me, and I had to answer for all of their screw ups.......Froze my arse off in the Winter, and baked all Summer on the roofs. I don't miss those days.

Anyway, I am happy for you. GOOD LUCK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought of outside sales in the automotive field? </div></div>

Nope, hadn't thought of that. Like what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911fan, hey you didn't say anything Tuesday when were eating tacos, explains the truck swap - HA! , you'll be a lot happier at the new job.</div></div>

Yah, still pretty much a Deep Dark Secret that early in the week. Now, I don't care.... I just want to finish out what looks like a banner month and get paid. Movin' on, thanks, been nice. You know where I'll be, you've seen me there often enough.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you drop a deuce in the middle of the floor before you left?

Good luck with the new job </div></div>
No, but I think my manager did when he saw the tow truck loading up my tool boxes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyways going to be starting in a week, thought I would take a week off as the last time I had a day off was when my youngest daughter was 4 and we went to Disneyland. She 13 now. I know pretty pathetic. I have made a promise to my wife and kids that I will never cash out another vacation day for the rest of my life. It is time to start going a few places. </div></div>

Good on you. They grow up quickly; you gotta spend the time while you have it. Besides, teenagers are a pita. Have fun with them before when they are still young
wink.gif
</div></div>

I have been blessed with 3 very good kids. I don't know how but they are great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good for you mechanic, can we still come to you for advice
wink.gif
? </div></div>
Still willing to help anybody that needs it. Makes me feel good.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought of outside sales in the automotive field? </div></div>

Nope, hadn't thought of that. Like what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911fan, hey you didn't say anything Tuesday when were eating tacos, explains the truck swap - HA! , you'll be a lot happier at the new job.</div></div>

Yah, still pretty much a Deep Dark Secret that early in the week. Now, I don't care.... I just want to finish out what looks like a banner month and get paid. Movin' on, thanks, been nice. You know where I'll be, you've seen me there often enough.

1911fan
</div></div>
Outside sales for a dealer etc. would include things like BG products, lubricants like oil, grease, gear oils, trans fluids etc. Also getting new accounts for parts and sales depts. Side work like glass installs, towing companies, body shops, detail shops etc. You can get several businesses that would love to cater to dealerships. I know you have delt with them as a writer so YOU know what you can turn them with.
smile.gif

I feel everyones pain i've been busting my knuckles for 30+ years,it wears out your body and soul.
It's a shame what this industry has become.
There are still some good honest shops to work at,but its getting harder for honest people to make it.

I did it!!

6PM today, handed my boss a letter of resignation with two weeks notice. He thought I was joking at first. They were shorthanded already, due to another guy quitting without notice yesterday, and to my surprise asked me to stay for the two weeks. Highly unusual in this business.
Ten days and done. I feel 80 pounds lighter and also I'm emotionally drained, just numbed. Took one of the girlfriends out for dinner and headed for bed, alone, so I can sleep for about 14 hours.

1911fan

Re: I did it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6PM today, handed my boss a letter of resignation with two weeks notice. He thought I was joking at first. They were shorthanded already, due to another guy quitting without notice yesterday, and to my surprise asked me to stay for the two weeks. Highly unusual in this business.
Ten days and done. I feel 80 pounds lighter and also I'm emotionally drained, just numbed. Took one of the girlfriends out for dinner and headed for bed, alone, so I can sleep for about 14 hours.

1911fan</div></div>
That is pretty rare because the first thing management will think you are going to do is start taking customers to a different dealership. It goes towards how valuable you are for them to have you stay for two more weeks.

The reason I did not give notice is my new GM (general manager or the big cheese of the dealership) is a complete tool. He never came to introduce himself to any of the techs or parts dept. He came to my stall once and I attempted to shake his hand and he literally acted like I had the plague. This hit me pretty hard as I have worn TIG welding gloves at work for almost 25 years so looking at my hands you would never guess I am a mechanic. Friggin' prick would not shake my hand.

The guy smokes like a train, I don't see how he can get anything done in a day because in my city you have to have a specified area designated as a smoking area. He is there for hours a day. We had a dealership meeting with him, he said that "anyone that doesn't have a good attitude can just the hell out". It would have been one thing if we had more business than we know what to do with but it is another when I do 5 or 6 oil changes in a day.

Re: I did it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is pretty rare.. It goes towards how valuable you are for them to have you stay for two more weeks. </div></div>

Yeah, sure. That and they are seriously shorthanded, not counting me leaving.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought of outside sales in the automotive field? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Nope, hadn't thought of that. Like what?</span>

1911fan
</div></div>

My dad is a retired zone manager. My sister works for Honda as a service district manager, she was previously working for the same company as my dad and has been a DM for sales, service and parts at one time or another. She absolutely loves her job now, the "big 3" she worked for previously was a nightmare. I remember her taking vacation to go to our brothers wedding. We hadn't all been together in a while so she decided to fly in and then drive the rest of the way with dad, stepmom and me so we could all catch up in the car. While we were on the 10 hour drive to Houston she gets a "corporate memo" on her blackberry stating that all managers were required to do dealer contacts and participate in conference calls while on vacation! Her coworkers were calling her non-stop talking about what a bullshit requirement this is. Then her boss calls, a guy my dad had hired, to make sure she got the memo as it had been sent out after she had already left on vacation, then proceded to give her a laundry list of things he wanted her to do while on "vacation". Within a month she had several offers from other manufactures and handed in her resignation.

Anyways, being a manufactures rep. for an auto company is a great job if you get the right one. You have the dealership experience and understand the ins and outs of the back end of a dealership. They pay very well and have great benefits too. You will do some traveling, but mostly one night here and there, usually just within your district and home by dinner time. Just thought I'd throw it out there as it seems you'd be well qualified for. You'd deal mostly with warranty claims, CSI, and dealer program type of stuff, sell parts and make sure the service end of the dealership is run according to their contract with the manufacture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought of outside sales in the automotive field? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Nope, hadn't thought of that. Like what?</span>

1911fan
</div></div>

My dad is a retired zone manager. My sister works for Honda as a service district manager, she was previously working for the same company as my dad and has been a DM for sales, service and parts at one time or another. She absolutely loves her job now, the "big 3" she worked for previously was a nightmare. I remember her taking vacation to go to our brothers wedding. We hadn't all been together in a while so she decided to fly in and then drive the rest of the way with dad, stepmom and me so we could all catch up in the car. While we were on the 10 hour drive to Houston she gets a "corporate memo" on her blackberry stating that all managers were required to do dealer contacts and participate in conference calls while on vacation! Her coworkers were calling her non-stop talking about what a bullshit requirement this is. Then her boss calls, a guy my dad had hired, to make sure she got the memo as it had been sent out after she had already left on vacation, then proceded to give her a laundry list of things he wanted her to do while on "vacation". Within a month she had several offers from other manufactures and handed in her resignation.

Anyways, being a manufactures rep. for an auto company is a great job if you get the right one. You have the dealership experience and understand the ins and outs of the back end of a dealership. They pay very well and have great benefits too. You will do some traveling, but mostly one night here and there, usually just within your district and home by dinner time. Just thought I'd throw it out there as it seems you'd be well qualified for. You'd deal mostly with warranty claims, CSI, and dealer program type of stuff, sell parts and make sure the service end of the dealership is run according to their contract with the manufacture.</div></div>
That is what I am talking about.
Have been at the new job now for a couple of weeks now. Got to say I love it. Had a three day weekend for Labor day, had a three day work week this week because I have every other Friday off (9 hour work days) and that gave me a three day weekend again this weekend. Got my medical insurance cards so the family is now covered the first week I was there. I am pretty dang happy about all this. Oh almost forgot. I would have been working in 105 degree weather this week but not now, it was 78 with a nice onshore breeze on Coronado Island. What is not to love. Doing a little side work has been really nice also as I have about 10 local shops that call me for "difficult" or "problem" jobs that they can't diagnose. Those always make me pretty fast money.

The Mechanic, I wish you the best as I am late for your thread. I remember IM-ing you a few times and you were always helpful, which I appreciate.

My Jeep Dodge dealership in Belle Mead (NJ) lost their franchise and are now independent. They too lost a lot of their 'old' wrenches. My family has been doing business with them for over 50 years. All special orders & sales were done with a hand shake.

A good mechanic like a good carpenter or any good trades person is worth their weight more than gold. But, what do I know, I'm just an old programmer.

Again, all the best of luck to you sir.

Maxwell

Thank you Maxwell I appreciate it. Had my Service Manager of the dealership call me on Thursday and ask if I wanted my job back for more money. $7 more an hour. That would be great if the work was there. But I pick up parts on my way back home at 3:00 when I get off
wink.gif
and it is still a ghost town. I politley declined the offer. He said maybe he could do more but would have to run it by corporate. I wanted to tell him don't bother but I just said OK. Still want to get my discounts in the parts dept.