• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I saw this in my local gun shop... (Pic)

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
images-products-2061132.jpg

And thought.. That is by far the dumbiest thing I have seen.. barret 50 cal muzzle break or close to it and a heat shield for a shot gun.......

Am I alone on this or is this just a retarded usless shot gun plat form...

Re: I saw this in my local gun shop... (Pic)

not sure what that is used for but it is ugly as hell... takes the intimidation factor out of a shotgun, that is for sure

Was this a shotgun on consignment or is a brand new shotty? If it is brand new and clue on who makes it?......And why???

Its brand new.. I think its a winchester...

I'm just wondering what fool would purchase this.. other than a joke at the range and who in the right mind would spend company money into building and putting this into production...

And groove was it at Field time?? Because im from OC as well and thats where I saw this thing at.

looks like a mossy perhaps , it for sure looks like it fell off the ugly wagon

I saw the local Private Mall Security Tactical Intervention Team and Tactical Weapons Assault Teams running breaching drills on the mall Radio Shack with one of these.

On the scale from the movie "Waiting," this falls somewhere between "The Bat Wing" and "The Brain" on a scale of fugliness.

May work as a breacher. No stand off pull the trigger. Door lock goes by by. The heat shield is because you have a lot of doors to shoot open and not a lot of time.
smile.gif

Looks like a great daily concealed carry weapon, now you just need a nice holster to go with it.
smile.gif

I wonder how it shoots?? Looks like that break would only make things worse.

Unfortunately that is the brainchild from someone at Mossberg. I believe they call it the Road Blocker or something stupid like that. They have put that muzzle brake on a 22lr bolt gun as well.

I like Mossberg shotguns but their designers have been smoking something.

Charlie

I think its marketing genius. Think of all the new buyers who will choose this over a plain 870 thinking its the latest and greatest.

No I'm not one of them!

I hear muzzle brakes do almost nothing on shotguns.

Its pretty sad to see a bit of factory gear like that...

I started wondering where the industry was headed when I started to see muzzle brakes come out of the factory for 17hmr rifles.

This now confirms it.

That's crazy.. they finally made a pump action .50 BMG pistol. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I was once at an indoor shooting range, in a bay that was one away from a wall. The bay immediately adjacent to the wall was soon occupied by a mall ninja with one of these. It was loud as f*ck and he kept shooting, it was unpleasant on the far side of the bays. A real dick move. Left soonafter.

Yeah, I've seen these at a local shop before. I asked why they even bother stocking them, he just shook his head and said, "people keep asking for them, I know their stupid."
We had a guy bring one into the indoor range I work at when they first came out. I refunded his money and asked him to leave. The break directs too much gas and sound to the booths beside them. Makes it miserable for all the other shooters. At least they got a solid laugh at the guy beffore he left.

That is a Mossberg Roadblocker shotgun it is factory.

Jerry Mickluk is now sponsored by Mossberg and is shooting a 930 open shotgun with the comp on it .... and is more than competitive with it.

The heat shield I can understand, the brake....well....

I bet Jerry Mickluk would be competitive with nearly any functioning shotgun. Dude is pretty good.

WOOKIE SHOTTIE

That there is sig line material
laugh.gif

Yall ever shot a R&R Racing Saiga with the JP enterprise brakes on them? They are pretty bad ass, and will keep a full power slug on target and soft shooting.

Looks like Mossberg is trying to corner the Zombie killer market
laugh.gif

that is the coolest thing I have ever seen, goin to local shop to buy one at lunch!

I want one to dove hunt with.....
I really want the suppressed shotgun from the movie No Country for Old Men.

It's to kill the zombies BEHIND you....that's not a muzzle break, it's a deflector
grin.gif

I am worried that if you shot it that brake would pull it out of your hand so hard it would go down range some where and you woul lose it!!. I heard the mall cops were using it as a rocket to get over high walls(just point it straight up hang on and fire, with those baffles I bet they could get at least 12 feet off the ground!!)

its almost as bad as the bullpup model they came out with years ago. sometimes i think hollyweird has a insider in mossbergs design team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its almost as bad as the bullpup model they came out with years ago. sometimes i think hollyweird has a insider in mossbergs design team.</div></div>

didnt you own one of those bullpups? thought i have a faint memory of you having one

You are not alone... there is one of those at my local shop. It has been there at least a year. Unsold. I chuckle every time I see it. But I am sure, somewhere, there is a Mall Ninja saving his nickels to buy one.

And if you are going to call something a "Roadblocker"... Ithaca beat you to it with their Mag 10 Roadblocker in the '80s. Now THAT was a shotgun. Before the Barrett... there was the Mag 10. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a Mossberg Roadblocker shotgun it is factory.

Jerry Mickluk is now sponsored by Mossberg and is shooting a 930 open shotgun with the comp on it .... and is more than competitive with it. </div></div>

In all fairness, I'm not completely sure Jerry Miculek wouldn't be competitive with a single shot H&R
wink.gif
... He's a badazz when it comes to the 3Gun game.

edit to add: IMO The brake on the Roadblocker looks about as useful as tits on a snake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've seen these at a local shop before. I asked why they even bother stocking them, he just shook his head and said, "people keep asking for them, I know their stupid."
</div></div>

YEP. Its a Mossberg and they sell a TON of them.

My favorite gunshop is run by a very bright and pleasant guy. Very knowledgeable.

He sells a LOT of Hi-POint Carbines, .

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_45caliber.html

BECAUSE PEOPLE BUY THEM!

I gotta have one, just in case I am ever blind, and walking across America through a post-apocalyptic landscape full of mutant zombie bikers and cannibals. That gun is so bad, I wouldn't even need my sight to use it. Anyone who saw the brake would either piss themselves over how evilly awesome it was, or piss themselves laughing at how stupid a brake on a shotgun was. Either way, I could stumble out of sight before they recovered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its almost as bad as the bullpup model they came out with years ago. sometimes i think hollyweird has a insider in mossbergs design team.</div></div>

didnt you own one of those bullpups? thought i have a faint memory of you having one </div></div>
yeah i bought one when i was still in navy years ago and it took me all of about 3 days to figure out it was a massive plastic piece of crap. shot it like 5 times and sold it. it did look real cool in that point of no return movie tho,lol.

I've got the new mossy catalouge, and it's for real. They also have one with a bayonet lug. My CCW instructor was so excited to tell me he had one on order. I can't vouch for that guy. He's a little weird.

Look at it this way: Chances are that most of the sales are going to the ganstah wannabys and tacticools. If they ever use them to do there gangstah crap at night they'll just lose their night vision, and hearing, and make it easier for the good guys to put two in center mass.

Tikka

Let's see, the reigning USPSA Multigun Nationals Open Division Champion is currently running one of these "tits on a snake" brakes because you guys have heard they do nothing on a shotgun......

yeah that makes sense
wink.gif

Or maybe since he is one of those guys who shoots for a living and wrings every last bit of performance out of his gear, there just might be some very objective performance advantage
confused.gif

As to compensators being ineffective on a shotgun, you simply don't enough to realize you don't have a clue what you are talking about. The pic below is the gas cuts from the comps on my Firebird Saiga. Sure they're not moving any gas
whistle.gif

FirebirdSaigaComp-1.jpg

Here's a video that has some so you can see the gun run with the comps. It is very flat with so little recoil because of those compensators. At about 1:20 and 2:10 in the video you can really see good shots of the gas the comps are moving.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eWSCcQnNbE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eWSCcQnNbE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As to compensators being ineffective on a shotgun, you simply don't enough to realize you don't have a clue what you are talking about. The pic below is the gas cuts from the comps on my Firebird Saiga. Sure they're not moving any gas
whistle.gif

</div></div>

Just going by literature that I read on the net.

"Effectiveness- The higher the pressure of the particular round, the more effective the brake. I have over 20 rifles with brakes. The 220 Swift is the king of reduction. Followed very closely by the 25-06, 6mmRemington, any Weatherby small bore. With a proper brake and a hot handload under a 40 gr bullet, the Swift will move 1/2" to the rear and 0 muzzle rise! <span style="font-weight: bold">Big boomers with low pressure like 45-70s and shot guns benefit the least.</span> I have two identical Remington 700s both with identical brakes. One in 308 and the other in 300 Win Mag. Both shooting 155 Sierra Palma bullets, the Win Mag about 300FPS faster, and the Win Mag has measurably less recoil! Must be the pressure / amount of gas available. "

http://www.rvbprecision.com/shooting/adventures-with-muzzle-brakes.html#ixzz14r8wXXUc

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/muzzle-brake-performance-tests-by-bertalotto/

Im sure gas moves out of the ports it would just be stupid to think otherwise... what im talking about is effectiveness.

Why would I argue against the word of a man, who has gone out of his way to machine brakes and test them on a multitude of firearms?

Vman,

Post was kind of toungue in cheek not necessarily taking shots at anyone, more just to offer up some perspective that a lot of folks seemed to be missing.

Yes a 60,000 psi rifle cartridge is going to offer more gas than a shotgun at 12,000 psi. However with the truly effective shotgun brakes (Firebird, JP ) they are mounted midbarrel. Rather than a rifle brake mounted on the end of the barrel and getting an instantaneous shot of gas the midbarrel brakes receive all of the available gas for longer dwell time for the gas to work.

Also, I readily admit that as 3 gunners we are looking for relatively specific performance objectives which don't always jive with the needs of precision rifle shooters.