• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think we're going to get a GSD for the family. Not 100% decided yet, but close.

If you want a dog to protect family from "animals in the forest" maybe think along the lines of Great White Pyrenees, Rhodesian Ridgeback, or Anatolian Sheperd?
I had a home nurse who had a Great White Pyr - a few trains on "perimeter" and that was her understood duty.The negative is they don't always get along with those outside the fam - they judge.

He's in Montana so I'm not sure a short hair dog like a Rhodesian Ridgeback is the best.
However that being said, I had Rhodesian Ridgebacks before and I'd take them any day over GSD

They are dogs that know when to go full bore and when to just chill
If you run them good and hard and interesting once a day or twice, they will be happy to lay around and be out of trouble the rest of the day.

They don't usually back down from a challenge, especially if you have a pair of them, they are kind of in it to win it.

They do very good with children.

They are very intelligent about knowing who you are good with having in your house. Once they see you are fine with someone, and let them in, you don't have to worry (unless the person does something crazy).

They have minimal shedding.

They DO need lots of good food
They Do need a good long run with lots of mental stimulation at least once a day.

They have a very high prey drive and won't be friendly to other dogs, cats or animals unless you really train them.
Interestingly enough, mine had zero interest in birds.

They can get big, as in 120 pounds to 150 pounds big.

The male I had was not far removed from Africa so it was a lot larger than the smaller American show standard ones.

The idea one has to pay $2500 for a dog is insane. All 4 of ours, with papers and lineage, only cost $500.00 a dog and that's being bought at different times over 20 years.

Those are show/competition dogs for those crazy prices.

If you want a good purebreed dog from someone that will give you papers and such, $2500 is kind of often near the starting point.

The amount you'll spend on food and vet bills will easily dwarf that over the 10 to 14 year life of a large dog.

If you want a good purebreed dog from someone that will give you papers and such, $2500 is kind of often near the starting point.

The amount you'll spend on food and vet bills will easily dwarf that over the 10 to 14 year life of a large dog.
The dog in the story I just told is an Italian Grayhound. Think a mini grayhound.

This dog jumped off the bed and broke her leg. $5k in vet bills later, I guess it basically shattered and splintered as he described it.

Guess the dogs are built light so they can run fast....kinda lines up to me.

And that brings up another point, if looking for something specific do research, and know you need to keep it from jumping off things if that is going to hurt it.

GS are great dogs. Be careful where you get one since there are a lot of shitty breeders out there that claim to be good but really suck!

GP are awesome dogs and definitely very independent and loyal. A good friends GP Brutus is awesome as a protector but has caused some problems (FEDEX, UPS and USPS will not get out of their vehicles because Brutus won't let them out). He has also pulled a bicycle rider off his bike (but the bike rider was a shithead and he deserved it for having previously pepper sprayed Brutus) but it still caused some issues with the local sheriff. I would have no problem owning a GP if I had a fenced and gated property.

Another breed you might look at that is a high drive working dog is a Catahoula. Just like any high drive working dog they want, need a job and work. They are fiercely loyal, extremely high drive and a lot of fun. People use them to drive cattle, hogs, mountain lions, bear. They tend to demand a lot of attention, but if you are an active person with a little bit of land they are a lot of fun. They are fearless which can get them into trouble with an incredible prey drive.

One of my other favorites are Malinois. Also high drive working dogs, need jobs and work. If you have young children they might not be a good fit, especially if you aren't the right personality and/or aren't good with training because they can be a little bit mouthy (I've been seeing a lot of people looking to rehome some because they are being "nippy" with their children). I fell in love with the breed in Afghanistan and wound up getting a LAB/MAL cross as a compromise. I had a dog handler friend who said of the dogs I had that he would be most concerned about my MAL/LAB kiddo. He is dopey but will protect any of our pack, I watched him drag a dog almost twice his size through the dog park by it's throat when it attacked my other dog (he was protecting her). Nimble, agile dogs that can flip a switch like it is nothing. I used him as one of my sled dogs when I lived in Alaska.

I've got dogs with legit papers. show dogs, nope, never wanted them. It might depend upon where you live and the market the breeder sells to.

1712333255203.jpeg

GSD's and their cousins are the apex of dog evolution, my opinion only.. Can do nearly anything when properly trained.
Ours is 6 now, 122 lbs and has hip dysplasia. His partner in crime is a big border/heeler cross.

Many great comments and opinions in this thread. My thoughts based on personal experience.

Pros:
1. Very smart and highly trainable.
2. Ultra protective and also have a social filter. Once he meets you, usually no more aggression.
3. Ours is gentle with our cats, and friends smaller dogs.
4. Literally fearless and very strong.

Cons:
1. Shed quite a bit. Brush alot.
2. Barks alot. I guess this is both good and bad. That tumble weed could be a bad guy or a coyote:)
3. Hips and allergies.
4. Has a thing for UPS and Fed Ex. I can't explain it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry about it a little. I checked with my insurance agent and GS's are covered, many breeds are not.
5. Need substantial exercise, a SxS, atv and snowmobile work best. A tired dog is a compliant dog.
6. The first 18-24 months are not easy. Ours was very, very destructive.

I can't imagine having a better dog for our purposes. As far as where to get one....it's a crapshoot. Ours was a papered shelter pup. You never know what you will get.....

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 19
We had Black Labs when I was growing up in the Deep South. I had a couple that were the most "racist" dog I have ever seen. I will leave that thought to your imagination.
I had a Rottweiler years ago. Phenomenal dog. He came from the back seat and through the driver's side window trying to take out a Berger King employee. I don't know what he had against black people but he certainly had a problem with them.

GSD's and their cousins are the apex of dog evolution, my opinion only.. Can do nearly anything when properly trained.
Ours is 6 now, 122 lbs and has hip dysplasia. His partner in crime is a big border/heeler cross.

Many great comments and opinions in this thread. My thoughts based on personal experience.

Pros:
1. Very smart and highly trainable.
2. Ultra protective and also have a social filter. Once he meets you, usually no more aggression.
3. Ours is gentle with our cats, and friends smaller dogs.
4. Literally fearless and very strong.

Cons:
1. Shed quite a bit. Brush alot.
2. Barks alot. I guess this is both good and bad. That tumble weed could be a bad guy or a coyote:)
3. Hips and allergies.
4. Has a thing for UPS and Fed Ex. I can't explain it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry about it a little. I checked with my insurance agent and GS's are covered, many breeds are not.
5. Need substantial exercise, a SxS, atv and snowmobile work best. A tired dog is a compliant dog.
6. The first 18-24 months are not easy. Ours was very, very destructive.

I can't imagine having a better dog for our purposes. As far as where to get one....it's a crapshoot. Ours was a papered shelter pup. You never know what you will get.....
You forgot the whining... Both of mine whine like mad especially when they hear me pick up my keys... They're always ready to travel somewhere with me and aren't shy about letting me know they want to go.

Mike

It's in the name. They're Shepard's and were bread to look over a flock and protect it.

They can have lots of health issues, as with lots of pure breeds.

Lots of toys, lots of attention. And get a female. Females are easier to train and obey better. Every single male I've had across all breeds tried to compete for alpha. Every female has decided I'm alpha and been obedient within a day or two.

My current mutt is 7, and she loves herding cows, killing mice, keeping the deer away from the flowers, etc. Heeler, kelpie, border Collie, Rottweiler mix. Odd mix but she was free and she has been great. Keeping her busy and having toys all over was key to getting her through being a puppy.

I do not have a very high opinion of breeders. There are some breed specific rescue orgs that are also just flat ass holes like most breeders.

Breeders DO NOT "buy dogs back".

How would you like to shell out 4500 for a dog with the plans on showing it. Very pretty puppy from well placed parents. The dog grows up and wait a sec....there is an issue. One of his testicles did not drop. Yup he has one not developed inside, and then the one that dropped. Can't show the dog, can't breed the dog, and you are not getting a fucking dime back.

I will say that shelter dogs will come with "issues". Look where they are, no matter how nice that place is I have a feeling anything would have some issues. They could be trust issues, fear issues, or just be distant for a while.

If you can find a person selling, or giving away for nothing or near nothing puppies this is your best place to find a good dog. It has a good family, and there is likely no bad memories with these animals.

She came out of a horse trailer in a walmart parking lot, she cost $25. The most sweet and loving dog, not the brightest bulb on the tree, but she has all the basics down. She is a good dog and picks up on her owners body english very quickly. If you are ok with a stranger, person across the street she has never seen to the mail man, ups. Have a Jehovah's Witness show up on your door step and she will act like she is going to kill them. I am really shocked how she knows when you want someone there and when you don't.

View attachment 8389405
View attachment 8389413
View attachment 8389414

Do dogs come in "intersex"?

• Haha
Reactions: W54/XM-388
I had a Rottweiler years ago. Phenomenal dog. He came from the back seat and through the driver's side window trying to take out a Berger King employee. I don't know what he had against black people but he certainly had a problem with them.

Similar experience. Althought not a rott, it was a "Beauceron-GSD mix - black & tan" but longer snout,upward angled tail", with severe puppy parvo stage 6 weeks from high kill city shelter -I had been., told I was taking it home it die. One month later (survival!) after at a gas station I realized she had issues with "the Amish"; that as of ten she still hasn't outgrown. She is OK with many female Amish - but she has gone after male Amish with intent to this day.

Similar experience. Althought not a rott, it was a "Beauceron-GSD mix - black & tan" but longer snout,upward angled tail", with severe puppy parvo stage 6 weeks from high kill city shelter -I had been., told I was taking it home it die. One month later (survival!) after at a gas station I realized she had issues with "the Amish"; that as of ten she still hasn't outgrown. She is OK with many female Amish - but she has gone after male Amish with intent to this day.
There was a badly scarred Lab at our county's animal shelter (in the city that is county seat.) She had a hard time dealing with humans. Most particularly, amish people. Her owner was amish and he had doused her in gasoline and set her on fire.

Well, she lived out her life there as unadoptable because it would be against the law to refuse adoption to someone based on them being amish, even if they were good amish. You are not allowed to descriminate based on amish-ness.

I take an emery board and smooth those toenails after clipping on both the Jack Russell and the GSD puppy. Saves wear and tear on both me and the furniture...

I think there is a reason many dogs have issues with the Amish and it's probably a good thing.
Dogs might be smarter than humans
Dog knows a young male Amish is 80% likely to be causing trouble
Not to mention how the Amish treat dogs, there might be some genetic memory of how they are treated by the Amish that makes them want payback.

Also don't disregard that dogs pick up on fear really well and when a dog senses you fear them, they get concerned about an attack.

When I had a pair of 120 pound and 150 pound Rhodesians back when Halloween was still a trick or treat door to door thing, when I would open the door and the 2 dogs were there front and center, all the pale faced kids would be like running up to start petting them and be all excited and happy and the dogs were fine.

Amish children however would start freaking out and the dogs were like... hey are you here for candy or trouble?

Lots of Amish don't understand how to treat a dog like family and I'll bet dogs remember that.
Who knows, maybe dogs can communicate with each other better than we know.

Reactions: oneshot86
I think there is a reason many dogs have issues with the Amish and it's probably a good thing.
Not to mention how the Amish treat dogs, there might be some genetic memory of how they are treated by the Amish that makes them want payback.

Also don't disregard that dogs pick up on fear really well and when a dog senses you fear them, they get concerned about an attack.

When I had a pair of 120 pound and 150 pound Rhodesians back when Halloween was still a trick or treat door to door thing, when I would open the door and the 2 dogs were there front and center, all the pale faced kids would be like running up to start petting them and be all excited and happy and the dogs were fine.

Amish children however would start freaking out and the dogs were like... hey are you here for candy or trouble?

Lots of Amish don't understand how to treat a dog like family and I'll bet dogs remember that.
We had a German Shepard named Muffin.
Best dog in the world, but going from Gary Indiana back to South Chicago on the toll road, that dog would go poltergeist on the Amish at the toll booths...
You couldn't have trained that dog to go more crazy

Reactions: W54/XM-388

I don't know how well dogs communicate with each other but my 2 GSD's understand English pretty well...

For a while we had to quit using the word "go" as it would cause all manner of excitement and ensuing mayhem...

So we switched to spelling it out... "G-O." That lasted about 4 days until they caught on.

So we switched to "G-word' as code for go. They figured that out too.

And you dare not say the word "Frisbee" in my house unless you want to be guilted in to going outside and throwing one until you die.

They know the difference between Jeep and truck. And will go to the door of whichever one you say.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when we're gone they watch YouTube dog videos cast to the TV.

And the above stories about "Amish" hold true... Both of mine lose their minds when one particular Amish Amazon driver delivers to our house.

I think they know more than they let on.

Mike

Yeah they are pretty smart you can just say stuff and they'll pick up on it. Mine seems to understand about 30-40 different words and phrases. Also she has a girl personality like I take her to the same park over and over eventually she'll sit on her ass and not do anything until we go to a different one.

Went and hung out with their family and the dogs. Dogs took to us like we were old friends. "Mom and Dad are okay with these people so, so am I", type of deal. Each of our families have four young children that are all right around the same age. It was chaos and the dogs handled it well. The dam was the tiniest German Shepard I think I ever seen. Couldn't have been much over 55lbs, 60 tops. The Sire seemed average-ish. 90lbs? She seemed to be the herder and he was more the protective type, though all he wanted to do was play. Kept bringing me a 2' x 3.5" piece of fence post wood to throw? Fucker wouldn't let it go. Played a little tug of war. Plenty strong. They have 4 males and 1 female. I think we're going to scoop up their largest male. They are only 4 weeks IIRC. Probably go back next weekend and make sure which one.

Do dogs come in "intersex"?
Not the point. In the world of dog shows, it is really the "perfect dog". The perfect example of the breed as laid down by the gods at the AKC or whoever. A dog with a defect, any defect is totally worthless for anything in that world.

Now for what I think, I know the breeder was informed of this. Do you think those two "puppy parents" are going to keep going in the gene pool. If it makes that breeder money you know the answer.

Reactions: Mcrider55
Not the point. In the world of dog shows, it is really the "perfect dog". The perfect example of the breed as laid down by the gods at the AKC or whoever. A dog with a defect, any defect is totally worthless for anything in that world.

Now for what I think, I know the breeder was informed of this. Do you think those two "puppy parents" are going to keep going in the gene pool. If it makes that breeder money you know the answer.
Years ago we took our first GSD to a local training class and the teacher happened to be an elderly gentleman who had a distinguished history of showing GSD's in national competition. I learned that these people don't own the dogs, they are hired to put the animal thru the paces in from of the audience.

He told me that the uber supreme dog groups didn't recognize black GSD,s as a legit breed, so they couldn't be showed. What was incredible tho was that the Sable's which they do show, where bred between a black and white GSD.

WTF?

Not sure if this still holds, but it sure sounds stupid to me.

Went and hung out with their family and the dogs. Dogs took to us like we were old friends. "Mom and Dad are okay with these people so, so am I", type of deal. Each of our families have four young children that are all right around the same age. It was chaos and the dogs handled it well. The dam was the tiniest German Shepard I think I ever seen. Couldn't have been much over 55lbs, 60 tops. The Sire seemed average-ish. 90lbs? She seemed to be the herder and he was more the protective type, though all he wanted to do was play. Kept bringing me a 2' x 3.5" piece of fence post wood to throw? Fucker wouldn't let it go. Played a little tug of war. Plenty strong. They have 4 males and 1 female. I think we're going to scoop up their largest male. They are only 4 weeks IIRC. Probably go back next weekend and make sure which one.
Can these breeders provide proof of at least three generations of dogs without hip/elbow issues and also no degenerative myelopathy? If they can't, please don't support this breeder. Also, please don't take the dog before 8 weeks, it needs to be socialized with his littermates, ideally for at least 12 weeks, but that rarely happens.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
He's in Montana so I'm not sure a short hair dog like a Rhodesian Ridgeback is the best.
However that being said, I had Rhodesian Ridgebacks before and I'd take them any day over GSD

They are dogs that know when to go full bore and when to just chill
If you run them good and hard and interesting once a day or twice, they will be happy to lay around and be out of trouble the rest of the day.

They don't usually back down from a challenge, especially if you have a pair of them, they are kind of in it to win it.

They do very good with children.

They are very intelligent about knowing who you are good with having in your house. Once they see you are fine with someone, and let them in, you don't have to worry (unless the person does something crazy).

They have minimal shedding.

They DO need lots of good food
They Do need a good long run with lots of mental stimulation at least once a day.

They have a very high prey drive and won't be friendly to other dogs, cats or animals unless you really train them.
Interestingly enough, mine had zero interest in birds.

They can get big, as in 120 pounds to 150 pounds big.

The male I had was not far removed from Africa so it was a lot larger than the smaller American show standard ones.
one thing that I missed in all of these posts is that big dogs make big pile of poop, it has to be kept picked up or it becomes a yard full of dog bombs that get tracked in the house.

This is a short decent explanation of the different types of GSD's.
The American Show dogs ususally suffer from hip dysplasia since they were bred with an extreme slope to their hind quarters.
I had to put one of my shepards down a while back, she was a fantastic, beautiful dog, but she could no longer walk. She would drag herself outside as her hindquarteres no longer worked.
The one I still have is beginning to slow down and I notice the same crossing of her hind feet when walking or trying to run that the first one had. The food that I buy for my dogs has glucosamine in it, hopefully it helps.
They are wonderful dogs, they are called German Shedders for a reason, they need a good deal of exercise and frequently suffer from seperation anxiety. A second dog is a good idea, just for company, my other dog is a red bone mix. They are the best of friends.
Here's the video:

Reactions: sakoguy21
I've never been around Amish people (never met one), what is the Amish-dog thing people are referring to?

I suppose I could guess......

I've never been around Amish people (never met one), what is the Amish-dog thing people are referring to?

I suppose I could guess......
If you have to ask, you must be amish.

JK

Amish are people who ride in horse-drawn carriages and make electric space heaters to sell.

As for dogs sensing things more acutely than humans, that is especially true regarding smell. But there can be other factors. Perhaps the dogs are uspet because the amish invented twerking.

One of my colleagues used to have a deer lease. In July and August, he would go there and do some clean up and check the feeder and the feed plots.

Set for a spell in his lawn chair and have a beer and see deer less than 50 yards from him. Same place in the end of November? Ghost town. The deer know what time of year it is.

Can these breeders provide proof of at least three generations of dogs without hip/elbow issues and also no degenerative myelopathy? If they can't, please don't support this breeder. Also, please don't take the dog before 8 weeks, it needs to be socialized with his littermates, ideally for at least 12 weeks, but that rarely happens.
Degenerative Myelopathy: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
If you read that article it basically says even if a GSD has two copies of one or both genetic variants of DM,
“Only 25% of GSD patients with symptoms actually have German Shepherd Dog DM. Others have potentially treatable disease,”
DM doesn't present itself until 8 to 14 years of age on average. That's a lot of good years. And there are decent odds the dog might be fine. Not worth paying 3-4 times as much for no more certainty than I already had.

I didn't say we were going to take the dog before 8 weeks, we're just getting first pick early.

Reactions: Mcrider55
If you have to ask, you must be amish.

JK

Amish are people who ride in horse-drawn carriages and make electric space heaters to sell.

As for dogs sensing things more acutely than humans, that is especially true regarding smell. But there can be other factors. Perhaps the dogs are uspet because the amish invented twerking.

One of my colleagues used to have a deer lease. In July and August, he would go there and do some clean up and check the feeder and the feed plots.

Set for a spell in his lawn chair and have a beer and see deer less than 50 yards from him. Same place in the end of November? Ghost town. The deer know what time of year it is.
Go to Quantico during hunting season.
Base is full of deer, the deer know

Reactions: Ronws
When logic and reason fail, you are left with @AmmoFort. A man who makes decisions based solely on emotion and leaves his German Shepherd to be trained by his five and eight-year-old children who have no dog training experience. A man who is so cheap, he would rather his dog come down with a painful, crippling disease than pay a couple grand to insure he can't.
1712605026153.gif

• Haha
Reactions: AmmoFort
Is that for real or are you just funning? I can't find that post. Trying to figure out if dude is an actual retard or if he just plays one from time to time.
Looks like I was a quicker draw than whichever mod nuked his post. Too bad, that had the makings of an epic derail

• Haha
Do not get a German Shepard they will steal your side x side and laugh at you . In all seriousness nothing moves on my property they don't know about . they are very protective of me and the wife and will not let anybody get between us and them . My oldest dog jumped between me and a copper head and it bite her . she shredded the copper head . The vet said giver her Benadryl and she pulled out of it in about 24 hours . The younger dog learned in less than a week to herd all the small baby goats in to the pen. They are protective of our poultry and other animal's . I saw a coyote try to make off with a chicken and they ripped the coyote in half , lol believe it or not the chicken survived . They are good hunting dogs and will bark tree like a coon dog when something is up a tree .
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 12.01.34 AM.jpeg

Do not get a German Shepard they will steal your side x side and laugh at you . In all seriousness nothing moves on my property they don't know about . they are very protective of me and the wife and will not let anybody get between us and them . My oldest dog jumped between me and a copper head and it bite her . she shredded the copper head . The vet said giver her Benadryl and she pulled out of it in about 24 hours . The younger dog learned in less than a week to herd all the small baby goats in to the pen. They are protective of our poultry and other animal's . I saw a coyote try to make off with a chicken and they ripped the coyote in half , lol believe it or not the chicken survived . They are good hunting dogs and will bark tree like a coon dog when something is up a tree . View attachment 8392057
Yes, they will steal the side by side. And they will steal your heart.

Looks like I was a quicker draw than whichever mod nuked his post. Too bad, that had the makings of an epic derail
I would have liked to respond. Fuck it we can derail anyway. The dogs are already here, not taking one home with us isn't going to make it unborn. I think I can guess where Mr. bestest lover of dog's ever lands on the abortion issue.

It's odd that any of you care how much other people spend on their dogs? For all you numbnuts who are wound up so fucking tight that a 'backyard breeder' makes you want to asphyxiate yourself to death while strokin' your microphallus, remember the rest of us don't give a fuck.

@The D you really think epic is in the cards?

A lot of guys are focusing on me saying I'm going to have the girls do the training. I said in a previous post that we home school. My wife works and I'm Mr. Mom
iu

I'm here with them all the time. We'll start training basically immediately. We're going to try to emulate this guy as best we can.

I think you guys are not grasping how much time we can devote to training a dog. We are at home and make our own schedule. Clearly I'm not going to hand them a leash and tell them 'good luck'. I'll have to demonstrate/initiate damn near everything. And most likely I won't hand anything over to them until it is time for straight repetition. If your kids can't handle the simple shit with a puppy...I'm sorry? Maybe shouldn'a sent 'em to public indoctrination camp?

There is zero reason a decently intelligent child shouldn't be able to reward a dog with food for correct behavior. Especially with me standing right there. So yeah let's hear first and foremost why your offspring were too fucking dumb to help train your young dogs.

Reactions: 101st and The D
I would have liked to respond. Fuck it we can derail anyway. The dogs are already here, not taking one home with us isn't going to make it unborn. I think I can guess where Mr. bestest lover of dog's ever lands on the abortion issue.

It's odd that any of you care how much other people spend on their dogs? For all you numbnuts who are wound up so fucking tight that a 'backyard breeder' makes you want to asphyxiate yourself to death while strokin' your microphallus, remember the rest of us don't give a fuck.

Only if buzzinga is allowed to have a mental breakdown in this thread
It has a ways to go yet. You don't seem likely to have a melt down and you haven't said anything too bonkers yet to get good enough reactions.
The quote from buzzinga in my post is actually his second response, I checked in on this thread at just the right time to catch it. It was, uh… a little unhinged. That’s the magic ingredient that gives this a shot

• Haha

Well if they are here you should have some photos for us, what flavor did you get?

Nothing will calm the savage like some puppy photos, younger the better.

I don't think anyone here really cared about why you pay for an animal. What they do care about is the GSD is one of the poster dogs for irresponsible breeding in the US and Canada. The dog has a list of very well known health issues, and dog care like everything else has gotten stupid expensive.

In a pit sort of way I think they tried to help you from getting a dog with a laundry list of health issues that would be around long enough for your little ones to get VERY attached to, then the dog just have to be put down because the rear hips, or whatever are just gone in the dog. It would be in pain every day of its life, and they wanted you to avoid that if possible.

Personally get a Mutt that looks like a GSD and that little mix in the genetic cocktail will likely do some good.

or........

fuck the breeders mother, your call.

Well lets just give it time!!!
True. You need to try harder. When you think you have given 100 percent, dig down deep and give it one more try.

It's hard for me to have meltdowns any more. Most of my feelings were burned out years ago and the other few were surgically removed. I am older now and a bit more humble. Quick to realize when I don't know enough or have stated something from wrong information. I take my ass-whoopin' and move on.

As for the dog thing, I totally agree with the ethics of good breeding. And, if I get another dog, it will be from the animal shelter. In fact, mixed brings can sometimes be healthier. If the purebreeds have parents of close sanguinity, that can cause problems, too.

When I was a kid and we were getting a pet, my parents would insist that we take care of the pet. So, you having your children get involved is perfect. And the dog will learn to protect them.

But I did want to get one of those signs.

"Don't worry about the dog. The owner bites."

Only if buzzinga is allowed to have a mental breakdown in this thread

The quote from buzzinga in my post is actually his second response, I checked in on this thread at just the right time to catch it. It was, uh… a little unhinged. That’s the magic ingredient that gives this a shot
LOL, you guys are really too much. You want it so bad, I can actually taste it, :)

I deleted that post as it provided no further discussion on this topic and was only going to lead to...well...popcorn. I try to be better than that, better than someone who makes personal attacks, especially from behind a keyboard. Sometimes I fail, this was one of those times.

What I should have said is this:

You @AmmoFort are buying a dog from a puppy mill whose breeding dogs are outside the breed standard and have not been checked for hip and elbow dysplasia nor for Degenerative Myelopathy--two diseases caused by unethical breeders like the ones you are supporting.

As someone who is obviously intelligent and cares about his family, I fail to understand how you would want to put them in a situation, like mentioned above, where you want your children to take their time to train this dog, care for it, love it, and have it as a protector, just to watch it slowly and incredibly painfully die from a preventable disease.

What makes the GSD such a brilliant dog and gives it the qualities you desire is because of ethical breeders who breed out the health issues and choose dogs inside the standard, with the correct temperament, and colors. This insures a high quality dog you can trust. In Germany, it is a criminal offense punishable by jail time to breed any GSD that are not Schutzhund level III trained.

Yes, these dogs are already born. And they were born because of a demand from people like you. People who want a GSD and all the wonderful qualities associated with them, but they don't want to pay for it. So they get watered-down lookalikes. A dog that looks like a German shepherd, but doesn't have the same qualities.

If people, such as yourself, stopped buying these dogs or started demanding health checks, it would either put these breeders out of business or cause them to adapt and become more ethical breeders.

But this is where we seem to disagree. I care about the GSD breed and want to see it preserved so future generations can benefit from them. If the opposite occurs, and the breed is continued to be destroyed, well, there you have it...the breed will be destroyed. This doesn't seem to bother you and at its core where we disagree.

In regards to the additional cost of a health-checked GSD, it is very little in comparison to the potential vet bills. You can get a good, healthy GSD for $1500 around here. That extra grand seems like chump-change when looking at the totality of circumstances.

As for the children training the dog. That sounds like a great plan, except for one thing. The kids don't know how the dog is supposed to act, they have no way of knowing what is ok and what is not. That is why they are children, they don't have adult functioning brains, yet.

That said, it is easy to teach a child to give a dog commands and to reward them. The day my new neighbors moved in, their kids were shouting "we have a German shepherd next door" and were so excited. I asked the parents if they wanted to meet the dog, everyone said yes, and within two minutes their children under ten, were giving my dog commands and she was listening. That doesn't mean they could take that dog from a puppy to its current state, not even close. This is dog training, not dog owning.

By the time you explain to them what the dog did wrong, the time for correction has long passed and the dog will not know why he is being punished. Think about how many times you've seen an owner scold a dog after it comes over to them, the owner is mad for what the dog did before it came, but the dog is being punished for coming to its owner, being punished for doing something correct.

So, yeah, I care about the breed, want to see it preserved, and don't support those who don't. Good Luck with your new family member. :)

LOL, you guys are really too much. You want it so bad, I can actually taste it, :)

I deleted that post as it provided no further discussion on this topic and was only going to lead to...well...popcorn. I try to be better than that, better than someone who makes personal attacks, especially from behind a keyboard. Sometimes I fail, this was one of those times.

What I should have said is this:

You @AmmoFort are buying a dog from a puppy mill whose breeding dogs are outside the breed standard and have not been checked for hip and elbow dysplasia nor for Degenerative Myelopathy--two diseases caused by unethical breeders like the ones you are supporting.

As someone who is obviously intelligent and cares about his family, I fail to understand how you would want to put them in a situation, like mentioned above, where you want your children to take their time to train this dog, care for it, love it, and have it as a protector, just to watch it slowly and incredibly painfully die from a preventable disease.

What makes the GSD such a brilliant dog and gives it the qualities you desire is because of ethical breeders who breed out the health issues and choose dogs inside the standard, with the correct temperament, and colors. This insures a high quality dog you can trust. In Germany, it is a criminal offense punishable by jail time to breed any GSD that are not Schutzhund level III trained.

Yes, these dogs are already born. And they were born because of a demand from people like you. People who want a GSD and all the wonderful qualities associated with them, but they don't want to pay for it. So they get watered-down lookalikes. A dog that looks like a German shepherd, but doesn't have the same qualities.

If people, such as yourself, stopped buying these dogs or started demanding health checks, it would either put these breeders out of business or cause them to adapt and become more ethical breeders.

But this is where we seem to disagree. I care about the GSD breed and want to see it preserved so future generations can benefit from them. If the opposite occurs, and the breed is continued to be destroyed, well, there you have it...the breed will be destroyed. This doesn't seem to bother you and at its core where we disagree.

In regards to the additional cost of a health-checked GSD, it is very little in comparison to the potential vet bills. You can get a good, healthy GSD for $1500 around here. That extra grand seems like chump-change when looking at the totality of circumstances.

As for the children training the dog. That sounds like a great plan, except for one thing. The kids don't know how the dog is supposed to act, they have no way of knowing what is ok and what is not. That is why they are children, they don't have adult functioning brains, yet.

That said, it is easy to teach a child to give a dog commands and to reward them. The day my new neighbors moved in, their kids were shouting "we have a German shepherd next door" and were so excited. I asked the parents if they wanted to meet the dog, everyone said yes, and within two minutes their children under ten, were giving my dog commands and she was listening. That doesn't mean they could take that dog from a puppy to its current state, not even close. This is dog training, not dog owning.

By the time you explain to them what the dog did wrong, the time for correction has long passed and the dog will not know why he is being punished. Think about how many times you've seen an owner scold a dog after it comes over to them, the owner is mad for what the dog did before it came, but the dog is being punished for coming to its owner, being punished for doing something correct.

So, yeah, I care about the breed, want to see it preserved, and don't support those who don't. Good Luck with your new family member. :)
That’s what the bear pit does. The hyenas require carcasses to gnaw on

• Haha
Reactions: Buzzinga and Ronws
That right there is where a lot of adults make a mistake when trying to train a dog.

The dog pees on the carpet. Human calls the dog to him. Then hits him on the snout with a rolled up newspaper (or Cosmopolitan mag.) Human thinks he punished the dog for peeing when what he did was punish the dog for coming to him.

When I first got my dog, Shadow, it was not my first time around a dog but the first time I was to be in charge, as an adult. I had heard that you need to punish dogs. So, when he would jump on people (he played hard,) I would grab him by the scruff and pin him to the ground or floor. Problem is, his previous owners would wrestle with him for play. So, my grabbing his scruff felt like play. I had just accidentally rewarded the behavior I was trying to stop.

So, thanks to a dog forum, I learned about operant conditioning. So, for him, positive reinforcement was the key. Our cat, Jade, would pick fights with him and sometimes he would chase her. I could call him off and he would halt almost in mid-air and come to me and I would give more than just a store-bought treat. I would make the effort to get a piece of pork chop or smoked brisket. Listening to me was always the greatest thing.

Most children may not know or understand or even know that humans also respond to this, as well.

A creature tends to seek reward and avoid punishment. That depends on what is seen as a reward or punishment and whether or not the operant connects the dots, as it were.

I knew some people who trained K-9s. They had to choose dogs that were willing to bite and hold and then release on command. They were trained with German commands since most of the suspects they chased did not speak German and would not be able to make commands. Also, the K-9s were trained with tug on a towel as a reward, instead of food treats, so that suspects could not distract the dog with food. And also not realize that tugging away when captured is a reward for the K-9.

That is the trifecta of breeding, temperment vetting as a pup, and structured and constant training with the human officer who will command him. And many times a K-9 is a male. They seem to have the temperment suited for the work.

The high class muckety mucks will never let their breed standards fall. I honestly don’t understand the worry there. If any of you want to say my non papered backyard bred GSD won’t ever be a true GSD… fine. If the powers that be say so, take that win. Doesn’t bother me. Seems kinda control freakish though. All you or they have to do in the event that a ‘FAKE GSD’ is making the real GSD’s look bad is ask for their papers…Holy shit writing that out sounds a little bit fucked up don’t it?
22pe4t.jpg

As I said before temperament trumps everything else (for us). Having a dog that will help look after my children is all I’m looking for.

Vet bills? I love dogs but I apparently have a different mindset concerning dogs than many of you. If the dog doesn’t make it, it doesn’t make it. Not much different than myself. I try pretty hard to stay away from the hospital. We are planning to feed the dog raw food, thinking more along the lines of jerky for training treats. The dog will be healthy until it isn’t. Such is life. You can think it’s cruel or stupid, but there’s never any guarantees. If we get 2 or 3 dogs in a row that don’t make it past 5 years I might have to reassess.

To get a sidebar tangent going, how do you guys feel about dogs that were bred to do certain tasks doing nothing of the sort? Owners Live in the city on small lots with tiny backyards…or heaven forbid they are apartment dwellers! I couldn’t care less. Not my zoo, not my monkeys.

Another. Do I want animals mistreated? No. Do I think not going to the vet is mistreatment?
L
O
L
You want me to get up in arms over some shitheels fighting dogs? I’m not going to war for that. I don’t like it, but again not my zoo…

The high class muckety mucks will never let their breed standards fall. I honestly don’t understand the worry there. If any of you want to say my non papered backyard bred GSD won’t ever be a true GSD… fine. If the powers that be say so, take that win. Doesn’t bother me. Seems kinda control freakish though. All you or they have to do in the event that a ‘FAKE GSD’ is making the real GSD’s look bad is ask for their papers…Holy shit writing that out sounds a little bit fucked up don’t it?
22pe4t.jpg

As I said before temperament trumps everything else (for us). Having a dog that will help look after my children is all I’m looking for.

Vet bills? I love dogs but I apparently have a different mindset concerning dogs than many of you. If the dog doesn’t make it, it doesn’t make it. Not much different than myself. I try pretty hard to stay away from the hospital. We are planning to feed the dog raw food, thinking more along the lines of jerky for training treats. The dog will be healthy until it isn’t. Such is life. You can think it’s cruel or stupid, but there’s never any guarantees. If we get 2 or 3 dogs in a row that don’t make it past 5 years I might have to reassess.

To get a sidebar tangent going, how do you guys feel about dogs that were bred to do certain tasks doing nothing of the sort? Owners Live in the city on small lots with tiny backyards…or heaven forbid they are apartment dwellers! I couldn’t care less. Not my zoo, not my monkeys.

Another. Do I want animals mistreated? No. Do I think not going to the vet is mistreatment?
L
O
L
You want me to get up in arms over some shitheels fighting dogs? I’m not going to war for that. I don’t like it, but again not my zoo…
Well, it depends. Most breeds had a job that they don't always get to do. Labrador Retrievers (such as the Island of Labrador) were bred to swim and retrieve net buoys.

Great Pyrenees were and are still bread as livestock guardian dogs. They have extra thick hide around the neck to put with being bit by a yote while they beat the crap out of it. Sometimes, you will also see donkeys with flocks of sheep, notorious for stomps yotes to bits.

Siberian Huskies were bred by the chukchi people of northern Siberia to run fast and pull hard on the worst conditions on Earth with the simplest of foods and not a lot of it. Not many people are competing in the Iditarod.

My dog was a mix of Siberian Husky and Black Lab but he was more Husky. He could pull hard and unladen his speed was incredible, having double gate suspension (all four limbs in the air in full run.) Fancy foods that all the humans think a dog needs upset his stomach. But the simplest stuff with meat meal and rice suited him best. And he would only eat in my presence. It was a pack thing. Seriously. We would leave him in the back yard with bowl full of food and go out of town for a few days. Come back and he has not touched a bite.

And then he had to chase the kong a few times to "work" for dinner.

Rat terriers used to chase rats out of wood piles, for example.

At different points in time, people bred dogs for different reasons. The people who do dog agility contests have a big problem with the English line of GSD because of the sloping hindquarters. It makes them weak. The more traditional german ones with a boxy rear hand the turns better.