• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I tried and tried to avoid this subforum! :-8

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    When I started precision rifle, I swore to myself I wouldn't start to reload for it, I would just train and shoot! When I was active in 3 Gun I reloaded 9mm, and the amount of ammo I used took a lot of time to reload, time I started to resent as I would rather have been shooting.

Fast forward to now, and my precision range is about 1.5 hours away, so I only get down there about twice a month. Surely that means I have a little time to reload, right?? Every time I look at this huge amount of Hornady and Prime brass just wasting away in buckets, my right arm starts to involuntarily move like I'm pulling the press.

Please, save me from myself!! Tell me how much time I will waste reloading, how I can't save any money doing it when you can get brand xx for a buck a round, tell me I will start chasing the minutiae of reloading instead of getting out to the range.

Please?

:)

I dont fully trust factory ammo now, I regret buying it every time on the rare occasion that I actually do so the past couple years.
    Crimped primers, crimped necks, blown out primer pockets, weak brass etc. I get a better product if I make everything myself.

Pistol is the only thing I like factory for and even that Ive only shot maybe 50 rounds of it in the past year of finishing off pigs and coyotes and then the target practice to make sure it functioned well with my can on.

What equipment do you already have since you loaded pistol? That could take some of the sting out of getting started again.

Reactions: ForgeValley
    I dont fully trust factory ammo now, I regret buying it every time on the rare occasion that I actually do so the past couple years.
    Crimped primers, crimped necks, blown out primer pockets, weak brass etc. I get a better product if I make everything myself.

Pistol is the only thing I like factory for and even that Ive only shot maybe 50 rounds of it in the past year of finishing off pigs and coyotes and then the target practice to make sure it functioned well with my can on.

What equipment do you already have since you loaded pistol? That could take some of the sting out of getting started again.

Everything I have is geared toward mass producing pistol ammo... all my dies are pistol caliber, and my press is a Hornady LnL progressive. I'm actually looking forward to doing it one step at a time, it's not so much the outlay of $ for the equipment as the time involved. I shoot about 200-250 rounds of 6.5 creedmoor a month right now, so I'm thinking it can't take that long, right? :) I used to load 700 - 1000 9mm's a month sometimes.

Oh, I do have a scale that will probably work. My ex took the digital calipers. :)

Any suggestions on equipment to get started are most appreciated, or just point in the direction of the most relevant sticky.

Keeping it simple but high quality, I would start with either Redding or Forster match dies.

The Hornady tools to measure headspace, base to ogive, and throat length get used a lot.

The Lee trimmer with the cutter and lock stud is cheap, fairly quick to use, and it is accurate.

What kind of press do you guys like? I'm all about buy once, cry once.

I would try to make use of the press you already have unless you just want to buy another.

Since you need calipers grab these igauging, better than the hornady or harbor freight calipers but not as expensive as the mitutoyos, they also offer it in 8" for 15 bucks more so that you always have something substantial to hold onto. Most people just go with the 6 though.
    https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00INL0BTS
    1543441620988.png

Then the headpsace comparators that skookum mentioned are vital for precise sizing measurements.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading...ck-n-load-headspace-gauge-tool-prod35168.aspx
    1543441631057.png

1543441661215.png

Then the bushings for the ogive bullet seating comparator. Goes in the same red body that the headspace bushings use.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading.../lock-n-load-comparator-insert-prod32794.aspx
    1543441823115.png

1543441970956.png

Thats about it for measuring.

For lubing I like this recipe, 10 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol, 1 part lanolin lube.
    http://www.65guys.com/brass-case-resizing-lube/

For cleaning I just use a lyman vibratory tumbler with medium grain rice, its a bit loud but it works fine and is cheap.
    1543442137337.png

1543442189587.png

For priming if you stick with the progressive it should handle that for you, if not I like my old lee hand primer withthe square tray but if I were to buy a new one it wold probably be the frankford arsenal that has the adjustment.
    1543442266866.png
    1543442300591.png

Trimming brass is a special thing, I run a giraud bench top but thats probably hard to swallow just jumping into it again. If you arent loading for a bunch of cartridges the giraud triway or the trim it 2 are nice. They cut, chamfer and deburr which means you do three processes in one step, thats a significant amount of time savings.
    Whatever trimmer you get make sure you can chuck a drill on it, doing it by hand sucks a big one.
    1543442464525.png

The dies are personal, I like a micrometer seater just because its so much easier. I like the redding micrometer the most but its also one of the more expensive options. The forster seater is nice to use but the seating stems have given me trouble and Im hesitant to recommend it, the sizing dies are just fine though.

Powder weighing. I have an autothrow, its amazing but its also the second most expensive route, a chargemaster will be a ton of hassle and effort saved over manually weighing powder. If you cant spring for the chargemaster go for the beam scale. Avoid the electronic pocket scales, they are all shit.

Thats enough to get you started until you have more specific questions.

Spife and I are thinking pretty identically. I also have the Giraud Tri-way for 308 & 223.

As far as presses go, I have 6 mounted. I have 2 Co-ax's and 2 Rockchuckers and 2 Dillon 550's.

If I had to choose just one press to walk away with, it would have to be the vintage (1974) Rockchucker. Just because it is the only press I have that will handle any die, for any operation I may need to do.

All the others have decided benifits, but also a few limitations.

Awesome guys, thank you so much! That will get me going.

Any reason to start with a different caliber, just to practice, or jump right into 6.5? I shoot 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Creedmoor pretty regularly.

I wish I had Spife's email when I first started precision reloading. I have wasted a butt ton of money on crap I subsequently replaced.

I've also come to the strongly held view that forster custom honed full length sizing dies are the best sizing dies for what we do

Awesome guys, thank you so much! That will get me going.

Any reason to start with a different caliber, just to practice, or jump right into 6.5? I shoot 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Creedmoor pretty regularly.
    The Creed isn't any harder than 223 or 308.

I should add that I wouldn't recommend the new Rockchucker Supreme, only because the used primer collection is horrible. I might actually sell the one I have and buy a Redding Big Boss because of the larger load window it has. It would make loading the 338 a bit easier.

When I started precision rifle, I swore to myself I wouldn't start to reload for it, I would just train and shoot! When I was active in 3 Gun I reloaded 9mm, and the amount of ammo I used took a lot of time to reload, time I started to resent as I would rather have been shooting.

Fast forward to now, and my precision range is about 1.5 hours away, so I only get down there about twice a month. Surely that means I have a little time to reload, right?? Every time I look at this huge amount of Hornady and Prime brass just wasting away in buckets, my right arm starts to involuntarily move like I'm pulling the press.

Please, save me from myself!! Tell me how much time I will waste reloading, how I can't save any money doing it when you can get brand xx for a buck a round, tell me I will start chasing the minutiae of reloading instead of getting out to the range.

Please?

:)

I’ll try. Hornady 6.5cm brass goes right at $0.35 a piece shipped. Prime may be slightly higher. I shoot a case, ship the brass, buy another case at $0.85 a round. I’ve got a 2 year old and am a year into small business ownership, so every goddamn second I can spend with my son I’m going to. To hell with SD and ES for the time being.

I’ll try. Hornady 6.5cm brass goes right at $0.35 a piece shipped. Prime may be slightly higher. I shoot a case, ship the brass, buy another case at $0.85 a round. I’ve got a 2 year old and am a year into small business ownership, so every goddamn second I can spend with my son I’m going to. To hell with SD and ES for the time being.

Right there with you. When I was so into pistol reloading, I ran my own business and had a young daughter. It doesn't last long man, so enjoy it. By the time they are 7-8 they are into their own thing somewhat and you get a little more time.

I reload because I can set aside the time. Saving money is a bonus. In my case, reloading and testing the results is more fun than shooting factory ammo.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously!

Reactions: KZP
    Dont do it!!!!!! It sucks ass compared to cranking out volume.... your about to drop coin...
    Fx120 with 419 add on
    Amp2 annealed with feeder

Then the obsessing starts!!!! Dont ask me how I know!!!! Just send me all your once fired brass for free.

Shooting/hunting is more gratifying when I reload. Reloading is half the fun. And reloading can be very therapeutic

Reactions: yakstone
    Dont do it!!!!!! It sucks ass compared to cranking out volume.... your about to drop coin...
    Fx120 with 419 add on
    Amp2 annealed with feeder

Then the obsessing starts!!!! Dont ask me how I know!!!! Just send me all your once fired brass for free.

That would probably be the smart thing to do, but I've already planned out my reloading bench and on the hunt for a Forster CoAx. Probably have to backorder it. Those things are popular!

Reloading can be therapeutic. It can also lead to the need for therapy...

I wouldn't say I enjoy reloading but I do enjoy the process of using my brain and skills to produce optimal ammo for my rifle with optimal results, velocities, and accuracy.

I second the Giraud trimmer. Did hand trimming one time for 200 pieces and then went and bought the Giraud after

Reloading can be therapeutic. It can also lead to the need for therapy...

I wouldn't say I enjoy reloading but I do enjoy the process of using my brain and skills to produce optimal ammo for my rifle with optimal results, velocities, and accuracy.

I don't like reloading but I couldn't afford to shoot a couple calibers I've had if it wasn't for reloading my own ammo.

Reactions: McCrazy
    I don't like reloading but I couldn't afford to shoot a couple calibers I've had if it wasn't for reloading my own ammo.
    I don’t love it but it alllows me to shoot for cheaper plus make ammo that has better SD/ES than factory.

Reactions: McCrazy and Bradu
    Reloading IS rewarding when it all comes together ... but getting there is a bit of a Journey ... smell the roses ...