• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want to build a 1500 yd AR. What round????

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
I don't want a 338. I wish their was a 7mm that would feed in an AR but the 7 wsm shoulder is too steep. Any suggestions.
I don't want some wildcat cartridge I can't buy are something that is $50 for 20 rounds. There isn't much available in 7mm and it really is a great round. ....between 6.5 and 300..is a sweet spot in my opinion. Bucks the wind and still has knockdown power.

So I am pondering all this.....may just build a creedmore.
smile.gif

Jim

Re: I want to build a 1500 yd AR. What round????

just do the creedmore then,

However don't expect great results past 800
Most of the AR guys no matter what caliber they are shooting don't really have the accuracy past 1200 yds. Then you run into the problem of elevation adjustment in your optics then you have to have crazy custom scope mounts with huge adjustment. Approx 130 MOA of internal, also at sea level you are subsonic at that range unless you are doing custom reloads with fairy dust.

Also the guys who custom load for these rifles usually have to single feed them due to the overall length not being magazine length, like all the other calibers so it makes no point to have an AR anyhow.

At the last shoot I went to which was mostly 800,900,1000meters there was one guy out of 60 that had an AR and he had a creedmore he placed 2nd to last only beating a guy who's savage broke.

If you can find them there is one AR that is really accurate at a 1000 and it is a COBB mfg .30-06 but good luck finding one...

I think you could get 1300 with a .260. You need to push it to close to 2900 fps, which would be a lot with a gas gun, but I believe it could be done.

get the AR10 mag and build a 7mm rem SAUM on it that will get you the distance the 300 mags will struggle but the 7mm rem SAUM will work but you have to step it up to a short mag.

the Rem SAUm case is shorter than the WSM and has a 30 degree shoulder and armalite made a run of them in 300 Rem SAUM and they worked so you would be best served looking at the 7mm.

In my opinion if you want too shoot 1500 yards follow up shots are able to be handled with abolt gun but if you want to do it semi auto you are going to have to spend a lot of coin and do it right.

.22longrange
wink.gif

In short...there isn't a 1,500yd capable AR-15 (or AR-10) cartridge that meets your stated requirements (1500yd capable, bucks wind, knock-down power at that range, non-wildcat, cheaper to shoot than a 338LM, etc., etc.).

Get a bolt gun with a detachable mag setup in any number of cartridges better suited to accuracy at 1,500yds that you can actually feed proper length rounds from the mag (you'll end up single-feeding anything even close to reaching past 1,200 with any AR-capable caliber cause they won't come close to fitting in the mags...with the AR mags, you are limited to around 2.275" for the AR-15s and 2.80" for the AR-10s). Also, at that kind of range, you'll be able to cycle a bolt gun as quickly (and more accurately) as you'll be able to run a semi-auto (especially a semi-auto that has become a single-shot because of the mag problems above).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In short...there isn't a 1,500yd capable AR-15 (or AR-10) cartridge that meets your stated requirements (1500yd capable, bucks wind, knock-down power at that range, non-wildcat, cheaper to shoot than a 338LM, etc., etc.).

Get a bolt gun with a detachable mag setup in any number of cartridges better suited to accuracy at 1,500yds that you can actually feed proper length rounds from the mag (you'll end up single-feeding anything even close to reaching past 1,200 with any AR-capable caliber cause they won't come close to fitting in the mags...with the AR mags, you are limited to around 2.275" for the AR-15s and 2.80" for the AR-10s). Also, at that kind of range, you'll be able to cycle a bolt gun as quickly (and more accurately) as you'll be able to run a semi-auto (especially a semi-auto that has become a single-shot because of the mag problems above).</div></div>

In the past I would have honestly had to say you are stretching the -10 platform to get it to go that far. But, in the past five years I've seen huge strides in the accuracy of AR's. There are a number of workable cartridges to get you out this far, accurately, even if not still supersonic. The 7mm-08 pushing 168 Berger VLD's or their new 175 XLD's. The next step up in 7mm would be the RSAUM or WSM. You have to get the mags for them that center-feed but they feed well when done right. Then too there is the .300 RSAUM and WSM and they will push a 208 A-max or 210 Berger that far. And, a standard 1-10 twist will keep them very stable through the transonic phase of flight.

Keep in mind, what the transition through transonic velocity does is disrupt the bullet in flight. It doesn't make it fall out of the sky. It just decreases accuracy potential depending on how well the bullet stays stable.

This can be done, and done well, if you have the resources to purchase all the things you need, and need to have done, to make this happen for an AR. However, as ORD said, you've really moved into the realm of the bolt gun and there isn't a whole lot of advantage at that range for the AR.

1500 yards.....and you want an AR? That just seems like a weird combination. 6.5 Creedmoore? Have you ever shot out to 1500 yards? That cartridge will be going sub-sonic at 1500. Just get a bolt action in a suitable canon-like caliber....like 338 Lapua.

I've hit 1450 accurately with my .260. However, that's with a bolt gun and 140 AMAX's doing 2860 FPS.

Long range shooting really isn't all that compatible with rapid fire. In the long run, I suspect you'd find that the firing cadences that actually work out there can be very easily accomplished with a bolt gun, and maybe even a single shot.

The AR-10 is a great platform, but the really right platform for distances beyond 800yd is more likely to be a bolt gun.

Very simply, you end up giving up accuracy capability, or adding extra (and maybe impractical) challenge to the build process, to have a capability (semi-auto operation) that you really can't get much use out of anyway. Up close, sure, but nothing special, chambering-wise, is needed there.

This project seems a bit like trying to build a castle on a foundation of sand. If you ever find yourself breaking new ground, there's probably a really good reason why you're finding yourself out there all alone.

Greg

The .243 winchester in an AR-10 with a >/= 26" barrel, pushing the 108 berger or the 115 dtac should be able to get very close (if not past) the 1500 yard mark supersonic.
Would depend heavily on your density altitude.

Right now, this is about as close as you're going to get.
Choose a quality barrel blank and have gap build you one throated for the 108 (non-vld) berger mag length.
This bullet gives up little bc, but will have the accuracy when mag-fed.

Don't worry what others say, everyone believes they're a frick'n genius here doling out inter-web wisdom.

Truly accurate rifles will be witnessed as so because have truly talented drivers, and thus far, these folks are using bolt guns.

Also:
The kind of guy that is likely to show up with an AR variant at a precision shoot is likely to be new to the game.

You can probably get close to what you want, talk to George G.
He'll likely echo the caliber that I suggested.

It's just a fun project guys. I'm using a bolt gun out to 1000 ...a 7mm wsm. I can put 5 rounds in an 8 in group. I have seen guys put 5 in a 5 inch group with my gun but I can't.

I have pretty much sold all my bolt guns and like tweaking gas guns. Carl at Accuracy Systems claims he can make a 7mm wsm AR that will feed and guarantees it but I have some doubts although I found another highly sought after AR expert that says he can too and specializes in long range AR's. I may buy an upper from one of them and see.

I've known a couple of people use the 7 Rsaum ....may do that.....may blow it off.

yep it is a deja vu. I have been effing with this idea for a while and a few people know it can be done .....sorta like when people thought a bolt gun was more accurate than a gas.....or the gas guns can't reach 1000 myth....or a 308 can't reach 1000.
I shoot with people that do it every week.

1000 seemed hard as shit at first.....10 yrs ago. Now I see guys hitting out to 1500 and I like to play with can't be done scenarios.

And no I wasn't considering a creedmore for 1500....I just admire the round. :))

Thanks for input guys....yes I have brought this subject up before....but I mention it now and then wondering if anyone has done anything similar....without going up to a 338 cannon. Eff that. :))
BTW...Tac Ops is building a 1/4 moa AR and ARtactical supposedly does it.

Just doing it for fun. I design buildings and mechanical devices for fun and also $$$$.

I fly my plane to scare the shit out of myself and keep my adrenaline going.....although it seems to be giving me gray hair.

Thanks again,

J

Jim Lowell

In the context of recreational shooting, you could probably get there with a 308Win. A 24" AR10 should be able to start a 220 SMK at 2500 fps via W760, or RL17, at around 60K psi.

The 220 SMK has a reputation of sailing through the transonic with good stability. At sea level started at 2500 fps, it should retain about 1000 fps at 1500 yards, and require around 80 moa el correction.

I've played a little with 220s out of my 20.5" boltgun, at 2545 fps (RL17, loaded to mag length 2.82" OAL) they hit pretty consistently at a mile via 94 moa correction, at 4500 ft el.

not sure how it would feed in an ar but there is the 6MM-XC shooting the 115gr. DTAC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get the AR10 mag and build a 7mm rem SAUM on it that will get you the distance the 300 mags will struggle but the 7mm rem SAUM will work but you have to step it up to a short mag.

the Rem SAUm case is shorter than the WSM and has a 30 degree shoulder and armalite made a run of them in 300 Rem SAUM and they worked so you would be best served looking at the 7mm.

In my opinion if you want too shoot 1500 yards follow up shots are able to be handled with abolt gun but if you want to do it semi auto you are going to have to spend a lot of coin and do it right.

</div></div>

yep ....I've talked to several people who have done that. Yeah Armalite did....and DPMS did one for a while......I think it was the Rsaum they did.

cheers,

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vereceleritas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><a href="http://www.tactilite.com/">Did you give this a look?</a>

Don't think it really qualifies as an AR anymore though. </div></div>

Yeah....there are several companies that do 50 cal....but still all those rounds from 338 up to 50 or too pricey.

There are some very affordable 50 cal guns around but the ammo prices give you brain damage.

The challenge is a smaller round....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long range shooting really isn't all that compatible with rapid fire. In the long run, I suspect you'd find that the firing cadences that actually work out there can be very easily accomplished with a bolt gun, and maybe even a single shot.

The AR-10 is a great platform, but the really right platform for distances beyond 800yd is more likely to be a bolt gun.

Very simply, you end up giving up accuracy capability, or adding extra (and maybe impractical) challenge to the build process, to have a capability (semi-auto operation) that you really can't get much use out of anyway. Up close, sure, but nothing special, chambering-wise, is needed there.

This project seems a bit like trying to build a castle on a foundation of sand. If you ever find yourself breaking new ground, there's probably a really good reason why you're finding yourself out there all alone.

Greg </div></div>

Yes that was once the belief but has been proven a fallacy so many times now it hardly merits mention. Barret blew that opinion away a long time ago and many other since have done the same.

don't be shy, get a Barrett 82A1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thin Ice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want a 338. I wish their was a 7mm that would feed in an AR but the 7 wsm shoulder is too steep. Any suggestions.
I don't want some wildcat cartridge I can't buy are something that is $50 for 20 rounds. There isn't much available in 7mm and it really is a great round. ....between 6.5 and 300..is a sweet spot in my opinion. Bucks the wind and still has knockdown power.

smile.gif

Jim </div></div>

I admire guys trying to "Do What Can't Be Done",but,your parameters are laughable at best.You want to test the outer limits of a platform at Extreme ranges for this class of cartridge and rifle,yet,it seems to be a small budget and no willingness on your part to do any load development or reloading.Just off the shelf ammo from "Bubba's Gun Shop".LMFAO !!!!

If you want to do a semi-auto in a common caliber there are lots of good choices that will get you to 800 to 1000 yards or a bit further with good accuracy. However if you actually want to be doing well placed hits on your targets at 1500 yards with a semi auto, pretty much your only choices are the 338LM or the 50BMG for off the shelf rounds. You would need to go custom hand loaded to be actually doing good hits all the time at 1500 yards.

The price per round depends on what you want. 338LM is expensive for new match ammunition, but if you load it yourself can be very reasonable. 50BMG match ammo is expensive, but if you want to plink around hitting rocks at 1500 yards, surplus ammo can be had for $2 per round.

barrett M81 is kinda like an AR isn't??

just kidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thin Ice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want a 338. I wish their was a 7mm that would feed in an AR but the 7 wsm shoulder is too steep. Any suggestions.

smile.gif

Jim </div></div>

I admire guys trying to "Do What Can't Be Done",but,your parameters are laughable at best.You want to test the outer limits of a platform at Extreme ranges for this class of cartridge and rifle,yet,it seems to be a small budget and no willingness on your part to do any load development or reloading.Just off the shelf ammo from "Bubba's Gun Shop".LMFAO !!!! </div></div>

Not sure where you get your ideas. You miss the point...and it isn't worth explaining....

Yea I dont see that happening with a ar platform....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thin Ice</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thin Ice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want a 338. I wish their was a 7mm that would feed in an AR but the 7 wsm shoulder is too steep. Any suggestions.

smile.gif

Jim </div></div>

I admire guys trying to "Do What Can't Be Done",but,your parameters are laughable at best.You want to test the outer limits of a platform at Extreme ranges for this class of cartridge and rifle,yet,it seems to be a small budget and no willingness on your part to do any load development or reloading.Just off the shelf ammo from "Bubba's Gun Shop".LMFAO !!!! </div></div>

Not sure where you get your ideas. You miss the point...and it isn't worth explaining.... </div></div>

The point I got was you want a 1500 yard AR,No Wildcats or $50 a Box Ammo.Bucks the wind well and has plenty of "Knockdown" power.

Am I missing something ?

Cobb MFG made an AR platform that could fire anything from 9mm....

Cobb MCR 400 shown with optional equipment:
257 Weatherby Magnum , 264 Winchester Magnum , 270 Weatherby Magnum 7mm Remington Magnum , 7mm Weatherby Magnum , 300 H&H Magnum , 300 Winchester Magnum 300 Remington Ultra Magnum , 300 Weatherby Magnum , 308 Norma Magnum , 338 Winchester Magnum 338 LAPUA Magnum , 338 Remington Ultra Magnum , 340 Weatherby Magnum , 350 Remington Magnum 358 Norma Magnum , 375 H&H Magnum , 8mm Remington Magnum , 378 Weatherby Magnum 416 RIGBY , 416 Remington Magnum , 416 Taylor , 458 Winchester Magnum

It has been done before Cobb did a few other small outfits, a gas gun can easily do that distance but they are rare, no one really want one because of how large it has to be and running into problems with different loads feeding, all the different pressures, and etc..

If you have vision go for it... although this vision is going to be a costly one, as most people haven't heard of Cobb rifles or the other half dozen Ar manufacturers that are out of business because they shared the same vision as you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Todd Hodnett is running his .308 16" OBR to 1500yrds on E type steel...

What are you looking to do at that range?

</div></div>

Kevin, ....It's just a game or challenge for me. I design mechanical devices...I see things I know I can improve on ....and as you say it has already been done in various ways. I am trying to develop a gun for the masses (affordable ammo) that will reach 1500 and still be supersonic.
I started out 20 yrs ago owning a mellurgical testing company and then got interested in guns and developed a very unique machine gun that beat the hell out of anything available at the time but it failed to sell to the military as many great guns do and was shelved although I have some great video of myself rappelling from a helicopter and firing one handed :)).....this thing had almost zero muzzle rise. One of my engineers was truly a genius.

At the moment I am using engineers in Izhevsk, Russia where the kalishnikov was produced. We are working on feeding mechanisms and barrel designs and metal formulas. I hold several patents and have used Chinese engineers but had problems with immediate theft of ideas and counterfeiting of parts with inferior materials. So I use Russian and German consultants to protect my designs.
So in a nutshell I am doing it for fun because I can. I do real estate development for a living but the company runs itself so I get to tinker with things and pursue ideas and hobbies.

I'm getting an upper from Carl Emmite @ ASI in 7wsm to take apart and see how he's doing his "magic".

I don't like to get into specifics on public forums for obvious reasons but I toss this idea out on forums occasionally to see how much ignorance is still out there......and how many are actually up to speed with the real possibilities.

But.....I seldom check in here anymore....some parts of Shanksters video on youtube "snipershide downfall"(or some name like that ) ring far too true. LOL :))

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want a 338. I wish their was a 7mm that would feed in an AR but the 7 wsm shoulder is too steep. Any suggestions.

smile.gif

Jim</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Todd Hodnett is running his .308 16" OBR to 1500yrds on E type steel...

What are you looking to do at that range?

</div></div>

Kevin, ....It's just a game or challenge for me. I design mechanical devices...I see things I know I can improve on ....and as you say it has already been done in various ways. I am trying to develop a gun for the masses (affordable ammo) that will reach 1500 and still be supersonic.
I started out 20 yrs ago owning a mellurgical testing company and then got interested in guns and developed a very unique machine gun that beat the hell out of anything available at the time but it failed to sell to the military as many great guns do and was shelved although I have some great video of myself rappelling from a helicopter and firing one handed :)).....this thing had almost zero muzzle rise. One of my engineers was truly a genius.

At the moment I am using engineers in Izhevsk, Russia where the kalishnikov was produced. We are working on feeding mechanisms and barrel designs and metal formulas. I hold several patents and have used Chinese engineers but had problems with immediate theft of ideas and counterfeiting of parts with inferior materials. So I use Russian and German consultants to protect my designs.
So in a nutshell I am doing it for fun because I can. I do real estate development for a living but the company runs itself so I get to tinker with things and pursue ideas and hobbies.

I'm getting an upper from Carl Emmite @ ASI in 7wsm to take apart and see how he's doing his "magic".

I don't like to get into specifics on public forums for obvious reasons but I toss this idea out on forums occasionally to see how much ignorance is still out there......and how many are actually up to speed with the real possibilities.

But.....I seldom check in here anymore....some parts of Shanksters video on youtube "snipershide downfall"(or some name like that ) ring far too true. LOL :))

J</div></div> Pretty Funny,The OP and then The "Uber Custom Prototype" Shoe Drops.kind of a conflict between the first post and the last.Just a little bit ? Or is this just some "Social Experiment" about the Unwashed Masses ?

If you understand reading comprehension half as much as you claim to understand engineering,the mixed signals between the first and last post would be obvious.Especially the "....may just build a Creedmore".Which does not even come close to the criteria of your last post.

According to your last post,you have resources and capabilities the likes of most professional manufacturers on this site will never see.You even built a prototype machine gun and have the video of yourself rappelling out of a chopper firing it one handed.Move over James Bond ! Why are you here slumming with us mere mortals ? You must have been just playing a rank amateur in your previous posts on this site,asking the same stupid questions like I did when I first got here.

The 208AMAX is the only way this is going to happen, but you'll need a 26" barrel. Works on paper anyway. Search under Hornady 208 in the 308
reloading forums for more info.

Check this guy out he has gadgets . . . ar15performance.com he does a 7mm-08 and maybe more, don't know if that does it for you but h00t there it is!

BTW I ordered the ITS-12 in .308 with a 20" Kreiger.

Bolt Gun....375 Cheytec... that's your answer

Mick

Barret makes a good semi-auto as someone else posted already. Check that out. Otherwise... why bother with the AR style platform for that range when bolt guns will always be more reliable and accurate for the price?

just got back in country. What I surmised could be done was quite possible (funny I used an engineer named Julia) but what I wanted wasn't much of a stretch as many have found. 7 saum does it and 300 saum also...with a bit more punch naturally. I built two rifles.

Thanks to all who believed and knew..those without vision...well.....what can be said. Ignorance and lack of vision have held us back for centuries.
Updates to follow.

J

I was just at the RND shop and he was putting together a 375 cheytac semi auto. It would do 1500 no problem.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hold several patents and have used Chinese engineers but had problems with immediate theft of ideas and counterfeiting of parts with inferior materials.

J </div></div>

Now that's rich, considering your OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks to all who believed and knew..those without vision...well.....what can be said. Ignorance and lack of vision have held us back for centuries.
J </div></div>

Difficult to buy in to a vision when you are being misled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hold several patents and have used Chinese engineers but had problems with immediate theft of ideas and counterfeiting of parts with inferior materials.

J </div></div>

J </div></div>

</div></div>

You hold several patents to what? Have you had your medication today?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

J </div></div>

Is there a moderator in the house?

I grew up on a ranch.......and the aroma of this thread is unmistakable (...russian and german engineers, etc.)

J </div></div>

</div></div>

You hold several patents to what? Have you had your medication today? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got back in country. What I surmised could be done was quite possible (funny I used an engineer named Julia) but what I wanted wasn't much of a stretch as many have found. 7 saum does it and 300 saum also...with a bit more punch naturally. I built two rifles.

Updates to follow.

J </div></div>

PHOTOS? VIDEOS? ANYTHING?

Gecko45?

I think we have witnessed the return of the mall ninja... apparently the special reaction force needed an AR for multiple rapid fire 1500 yard shots, just in case the chechnyan rebels managed to take out the food court.

I was looking into the 6.5 creedmoore for 100o yards would it be good for 1500 as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onajoyride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking into the 6.5 creedmoore for 100o yards would it be good for 1500 as well? </div></div>

1500 yards out of 6.5 CM is really pushing it, I dont think its going to happen.

1500 from a short action is really pushing the limits of powder capacity. you can do it, but the speed you need to drive it and the pressure to do it gets to the edge of safe levels.