• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I was panicking! I used to have my thunderbeast stuck...

Sixfivesavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
Maryland
Help me please. Long story short, the 30P-1 threaded onto a friends blackout that was cut down and re threaded fine, wasn't loose by any means but not what I would call alarmingly tight, shot it a few times, threaded off fine and then back on fine. Shot a few more times now it's stuck. I really wrenched it with my hands and the stock between my knees and I got about a quarter turn out of it. Enough it's away from the shoulder now and it will go back but not any looser. Right now it's sitting with some pb blaster on it in case it's carbon or something. Obviously I don't want to keep wrenching on it. I really hope I don't screw something up on the can or haven't yet. Screw the rifle, I want my can back!

Last edited:
*Edit, it came off a bit and now is stuck? That's no bueno in that case... the threads could be compromised or be all gunked up. I'd ask Zak Smith what he recommends.

Last edited:
I'm hesitant to use the strap wrench unless I'm assured it's ok. This thing is tight and I'm worried it may strip the threads on the can instead of the rifle.

Yeah, didn't realize that part and edited my first post while you were replying. That doesn't sound good, contact Zak Smith here on the site or TBAC by phone as ultimately if something is damaged on the can they are going to be the ones who would have to service it for you most likely.

Since you can still move it you will have to run it up and down up and down to try to break it free. Pb is a good idea to keep it lubed. Since it backed out and stopped I'm afraid it might be the threads my friend. There has always been a fight when threading two different metals together. Titanium is a mystery to me.

Since you can still move it you will have to run it up and down up and down to try to break it free. Pb is a good idea to keep it lubed. Since it backed out and stopped I'm afraid it might be the threads my friend. There has always been a fight when threading two different metals together. Titanium is a mystery to me.

Yea, that's what I've been trying then reapply and let it sit and do it again. Seems like it got it some, now there is a definite stop to it when loosening. Like it has the threads on the rifle stripped or something. Gonna let it sit over night and call TB in the am. Man I hope I didn't screw this can up. I have 9 rounds through it since I picked it up!

Lets this be a reminder to you do not to put a can on some one elses stuff but your own!!! If you get it off, next time put on a little anti seize on your theads. Hope it turns out well for you.

Yea, tell me about it. Especially threads cut by someone as particular as the guy that cut them. He won't cut threads unless he has what's going on it. He makes them exact.

go on TB web site and watch the videos about threads. Will make you think twice about where you put your can.

Last edited:
Yea, tell me about it. Especially threads cut by someone as particular as the guy that cut them. He won't cut threads unless he has what's going on it. He makes them exact.

Hopefully exactly to the midpoint of the Class 3A thread spec, and not exactly to the "what's going on it."

Reminds me of this thread/post,
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-suppressors/248893-tbac-30p-1-a.html#post3096197

In summary, there's nothing wrong with having the can in hand, but either a thread micrometer, a set of thread wires used properly, or a GO and NO-GO set of ring gauges (used properly) should be what is used to determine if the muzzle threads have been cut to a small enough pitch diameter. Gunsmiths who are in the habit of just shaving a little bit off the threads until the device screws all the way are a significant source of stuck-can mishaps.

Like I've said before: You only get to fuck this up ONCE. It wasn't the can or the can's threads. It was your buddy's rifle's threads that are to blame. (YOU FOR LETTING HIM USE IT)
Change the name of this threat to "Buddy's Blackout threads stuck to MY Thunderbeast can."

Last edited:
Like I've said before: You only get to fuck this up ONCE. It wasn't the can or the can's threads. It was your buddy's rifle's threads that are to blame. (YOU FOR LETTING HIM USE IT)
Change the name of this threat to "Buddy's Blackout threads stuck to MY Thunderbeast can."

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm NOT claiming the can is at fault in any way. I'm fully aware that it's the cut threads on the rifle and that I did it myself. Like I said, it went on ok and off again then on ok a second time. I'm not changing the title of the thread because the fact of the matter is, the can is stuck on the rifle. Quit inferring something that was not stated as being the case. This is CLEARLY NOT THE CAN AT FAULT.

Just crank on it with some Channel Locks until it breaks free. Or beat on it with the dull end of a kitchen knife like the old lady does to open jelly jars.

Seriously, that sucks man. Did you have any anti-seize on the threads? Im not sure if its recommended or not, but I usually put a slight dab on them, and just keep checking to make sure the can is tight every few shots. \]]

For those who care...the barrel and can are going to TBac to be unfucked professionally. Awesome people to speak with, I'm sure they will have it good as new and the lesson has been learned.

Huh? You might have been better off to stay Silent as you just removed all doubt. :)

I'm guessing that originally it was going to be another "that's why you buy a Surefire, you get what you pay for" or "I'm a Surefire fanboy because they are the best." Maybe it's just me, but that's what almost all of his posts have to say. It's quite comical actually.

Oh well, I just hope that it's only the threads of his friend's barrel that are trashed and that the can is virtually okay. I would assume that would be the case as the threads of the can are likely of higher strength compared to the barrel.

I'm guessing that originally it was going to be another "that's why you buy a Surefire, you get what you pay for" or "I'm a Surefire fanboy because they are the best." Maybe it's just me, but that's what almost all of his posts have to say. It's quite comical actually.

Are you talking about me here?

Oh well, I just hope that it's only the threads of his friend's barrel that are trashed and that the can is virtually okay. I would assume that would be the case as the threads of the can are likely of higher strength compared to the barrel.

Hopefully that is the case, but they can get it fixed up either way. Not that big of a deal for them at all apparently. My worries were from not knowing which material would give first if I tried just working it back and fourth myself and got it off, the titanium or the steel.

No SixFive, I'm definitely not talking about you. I think it sucks you had to learn the lesson of thread spec issues the hard way.

I was referring to SilentG21 as if you look through many of the threads he posts in (Most of which seem to be in the Suppressor Section) you quickly notice that almost everything is a shill for Surefire cans. 3DHusker was quoted in my post as he was poking fun at SilentG21 for his comment in post #20, which while he doesn't come out and say it, I'm almost positive he was hinting towards something Surefire related because according to him, Surefire QD mounts are the best.

No SixFive, I'm definitely not talking about you. I think it sucks you had to learn the lesson of thread spec issues the hard way.

I was referring to SilentG21 as if you look through many of the threads he posts in (Most of which seem to be in the Suppressor Section) you quickly notice that almost everything is a shill for Surefire cans. 3DHusker was quoted in my post as he was poking fun at SilentG21 for his comment in post #20, which while he doesn't come out and say it, I'm almost positive he was hinting towards something Surefire related because according to him, Surefire QD mounts are the best.

Yep

Hopefully that is the case, but they can get it fixed up either way. Not that big of a deal for them at all apparently. My worries were from not knowing which material would give first if I tried just working it back and fourth myself and got it off, the titanium or the steel.

I've worked with a lot of Titanium and in my experience, it depends completely on the alloy. You made a good choice getting it un-fucked by a professional because you could have very easily ruined both sets of threads. +1

Actually, this situation right here is one of the big reasons why I went with a QD suppressor -- I'd also be THAT guy that dropped his gun and fucked up the threads completely so...Thought I'd be better safe than sorry.

Ultimately, this could have happened to anyone and the best advice is don't put your can where it doesn't belong...Right?

Yea I gotcha after I went back and read it again. Sorry about that. I have a surefire can too, but it's where it belongs...on a 12" LMT.

The thread spec thing I didn't think would be that big a deal since it went on and off with no issues already. Kinda weird. That's why I'm not a machinist though...

To clarify, I didn't go QD because it's gonna be on one rifle not moving around. That rifle just isn't here yet!

FWIW, the way I took it was that people with QD cans are less likely to experience this problem for the simple fact that the can doesn't directly engage the barrel threads... so while a QD mount might get stuck on a barrel, a QD can (theoretically) would not.

Or I could be full of shit. You decide.

I have screwed a metric shit ton of direct thread suppressors on and off of my weapons and never stuck a can.
All of my threads have been cut to proper spec by competent smiths using the proper tools and gauges. If you want to screw a QD on shitty threads one time well I guess that is your deal. However you should have quality threads no matter what you do instead of putting a band aid over them. :)

By all means never put your can on some other guys weapon. Let them shoot yours a few times and make them buy their own. :)

Last edited:
3D Husker, I hear ya... in my case, I went with the QD setup mostly for cost reasons... I have far too many guns that I want to shoot suppressed to be able to afford to put dedicated cans on each of them.

I would just say, "Tag for follow up" but, wow, sorry about your can. I'm highly interested din the outcome. Hopefully we'll have the details on what went wrong and have a nice lesson learned. Best of luck to you.

Ok...you guys caught me. Yes I am a Surefire fanboy. I confess. But, I didnt mention a brand name this time. My focus was on the fact that if he had a qd mount and put his adapter on another man's rifle and it got seized up for some reason the most he would be out is an adapter. Hell yea I rant on about my Surefire products! I guess that's just the pride of owning them speaking. Sorry to touch nerves of those who choose to call me out on my Surefire blabbing. And OP....hope that turns out ok for ya. I'm sure ThunderBeast will take care of you.

Hasn't been fixed yet. I didn't want to send it out over a weekend and I'm at the beach at the moment. It will go out as soon as I'm home from vacation. I'm gonna try and get zak to make a thread about fixing it so hopefully it saves other people the experience and shares some light on the fix.

Showed a friend my 30P-1 and put it on my .300WM. I didn't think I put it on very tight but I guess I did because it wouldn't come off (could have been how the threads were cut, how the back was machined on the barrel that could had folded over a couple of threads on the suppressor or that I had the threads done in the voodoo 18-1?). The barrel was still warm from shooting earlier, the suppressor was cold and the threads were probably dry. I tried a strap wrench to remove it and just made it worse, tried a torch, cold (-30F), lube and nothing worked. So, I sent it to Thunderbeast. The shipping from Alaska to TB cost more than the work did. William had to cut the TB off my barrel and machine the barrel out of it. So I got a fresh crown, good threads for my TB and my .300WM looks cooler as an M24 contour 24" barrel. The people at TB were great to deal with and extremely helpful (I was in the middle of a move when I sent them my rifle). My interaction with TB was pleasant and they were real easy/helpful to work with. Great customer service, I honestly can't say enough god things about them!

From what I can gather the big fix is to get someone that knows what they are doing to cut the threads especially when going metric (Thunderbeast did NOT cut those threads and it appears that that might have been part of the issue)!!! Use anti-seize, and if you traded your sex life for marriage (to you single guys, don't do it) you might want to be careful because your grip and forearm strength is probably stronger than you think :-(

Last edited:
RAY,

No idea you were on the hide. If anyone is listening, this dude is bar none the BEST FFL I have ever delt with.

Sorry for the shameless plug.

I second that shameless plug. I have a 223A currently on form 4 from him. Nice guy to work with.

This is why when I finally buy a suppressor, I'm going to take my rifle with the factory cut threads to Zak and crew to make sure they are within spec. Be it a qd setup or direct. Fortunately they are only a few miles from me.